• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
BrassMonkey1010 said:
Didn't know who this guy was and I had to look him up, but he looks like a good Bilbo.
Just because he may be "visiting Middle Earth" doesn't necessarily mean he'd be Bilbo. Could be one of the Elves or someone from Laketown. He'd make a terrible Bilbo, IMO.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Perhaps the only casting i can think of that would severely hamper my viewing of the film, he is terrible.

Google

You know, by there very nature, actors are able to act as other people.

So while you may hate them in one role, they're more than able to work well in another one.

Google said:
You know, by there very nature, actors are able to act as other people.

So while you may hate them in one role, they're more than able to work well in another one.

They can act like men... but can they act like hobbits, dwarves, and elves?! I think not!

Aaron

bengraven said:
Both Tennant and Pegg would make great Bilbos.

Tennant 10x more than Pegg, but I would love to see Frost and Pegg play, say, Oin and Gloin.
Frost should be tapped to play a dwarf. Would be great casting. I'm a huge Simon Pegg fan, but I can't really see him in the Hobbit. He could play Bilbo, especially his exasperation in this bothersome adventure, but he doesn't really look the part.

Aaron

Neuromancer said:
Are they still planning on basically making up a movie to bridge the gap between the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy?
No, they're splitting the book in two movies with some padding about the Necromancer/Sauron.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sooo hyped for this.

FotR was the best of the original trilogy because it was just a linear adventure movie - A to B to C. The entire Extended Edition movie (up to the point they leave Moria) is pretty much perfect.

Hobbit as source material has potential to exceed FotR, if handled well. High hopes for this to be one of the best adventure movies of all time.

Ogni-XR21

agrajag said:
Bilbo needs to be played by the guy who was Arthur Dent in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie.

Great choice! Would have never thought of that myself but it would work perfectly imo.

Chuckie

Neuromancer said:
Oh awesome. Hope they don't go overboard with that stuff.

They will.

They are going to make two movies from a 300 page childrens book. (Compared to 3 movies of a 1200 page adult book)

agrajag

Banned
LMAO, didn't know the guy's name. I just googled him, and one of the results was this

HobbitFakePoster.jpg

Aaron said:
Frost should be tapped to play a dwarf. Would be great casting. I'm a huge Simon Pegg fan, but I can't really see him in the Hobbit. He could play Bilbo, especially his exasperation in this bothersome adventure, but he doesn't really look the part.
Doesn't stop him.
320x240.jpg

Martin Freeman for Bilbo please! (Tim from the Office)

And for the love of God keep Del Toro away from the script! His English language films have been horrible.

Alex

I don't really like Tobey Maguire at all, that would be incredibly lousy. But then again, to be perfectly fair I don't really like Elijah Wood outside of Lord of the Rings

Elijah wants James McAvoy cast as Bilbo

McAvoy220x327.jpg

"I honestly love the initial rumor from way back when, which was James McAvoy. I think he would be fantastic. I'm a fan of his work and I think he's the right age and I think that he has a quality to him that could fit quite nicely with what Ian Holm did in the first movie."
Source

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
B.K. said:
Looks like the first movie may be delayed until Q4 2012.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62637

Process wont be helped by the relative failure of the lovely bones, not that it will destroy the project but a director on form and beloved can get a project greenlit far easier than one hitting a bit of a slump.

As for McCavoy, though hes already denied it i would have thought he would make an excellent Bilbo.

Raydeen

Tennant being in it would be great. Jackson is a big Dr Who fan from the classic days, he even auditioned Tom Baker (Dr No.4) for Gandalf, but the studio wanted a bigger name. McAvoy is great, but his already done The Chronicles of Narnia, so I'm not sure he'd want to fantasy up again.

But on the subject of sci-fi actors travelling to Oz/NZ land for a part in a big franchise. Patrick Stewart as ye olde Mad Max? http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/43829

There is no film I am looking forward to as much as this one.

Mr Cola said:
I hate beyond hate David Tennant so i would be actively disturbed if he was anywhere near the film. This maybe because im an ardent hater of Dr. Who and what it does to british tv. This being said i heard strong rumours Brian Cox was in the film on aintitcool.com. That, in my opinion, would be an inspired piece of casting for a dwarf. Infact Brian Cox and Ian Mcshane as dwarfs would be all matter of awesome.

I would weep from joy.

bengraven said:
Very true, but Freeman is just a bit too much.

BTW, Ian McShane as Thorin.

Ian McShane as almost any character would be great.

Hugo Weaving discusses The Hobbit

Elrond_weaving.jpg

Filming of the long-awaited Hobbit is slated to start up this summer, and various signs point to Hugo Weaving reprising the role of Elrond. In past interviews, producer Peter Jackson said he would be bringing back three key actors from his Lord of the Rings trilogy: besides Weaving, Ian McKellan and Cate Blanchett could also be returning to the fold.

But does that mean Elrond will be absolutely faithful to the original text, or will there be some creative license, a la Faramir in The Two Towers? It sounds like Weaving, who recently spoke to MTV, would welcome an expansion of his Elven character’s role, especially since The Hobbit creators are planning multiple films.

"Of course, I’ve read the book," said Weaving. "There’s really only one scene in the book of 'The Hobbit' [in which Elrond appears]. On their journey Bilbo and the [others] stop in Rivendell and have a night or two with Elrond."

At this point in the story, Bilbo and the rest of their troupe have just escaped from trolls, and Gandalf advises them to stop at an Elrond’s outpost. The characters have a map, which their newfound Elven friend proves adept at reading.

"It’s a star map, and [Elrond] could read star maps. So that’s Elrond in the book," Weaving said. "Now, in the film, I don’t know where they’ve gone with it. Because [screenwriters Jackson, del Toro, Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh] expanded it, I think, to a couple of films."

Guillermo del Toro will be helming the adaptation. In the meantime, Weaving can be seen in this weekend’s The Wolfman from Universal.
Source

tino said:
I am not looking forward to it. I am not sitting through 3 and a half hour for a another fantasy film.

I am not sure why the Hobbit needs two films but this ^

Lord of the Rings was crazy and epic so I enjoyed it at the time but meh

I just saw a trailer for yet another ROBIN HOOD film while on HULU and all I can say is WTF!!!

I liked the Hobbit animated film I do not need two epics to tell the damn story

that said... in two years I'll be screaming DAY ONE!!! :D

B.K.

I'm starting to wonder if the movie will ever get made.

Speaking moments ago at a press conference for his latest production, Splice, Guillermo del Toro responded to questions about the state of The Hobbit, saying that the film does not have a start date, nor will it until MGM sorts out its financial troubles.

"It's not greenlit," said del Toro, "That's categorical... We've been caught in a very tangled negotiation... There cannot be any start dates until the MGM situation gets resolved. They do hold a considerable portion of the rights."

Responding to rumors that the film would shoot in 3D, del Toro said that, while 3D remains a possiblity, it has been discussed "literally once" in the production offices and it is not being planned at this time. The current production budget has been drawn without 3D in mind.

Admitting no predictable timeline for a start date, del Toro theorized one possible outcome that would see MGM sharing or selling off the rights. Nevertheless, he feels confident that the film will move forward as soon as a decision is made.

"We have designed all the creatures," he said, "We've designed the sets and the wardrobe. We have done animatics and planned battles sequences.... We are very, very prepared for when it is finally triggered."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=66472

I'm kind of happy that it's having trouble getting off of the ground,
Peter's movies were pretty much perfect.

Guillermo is no slouch, but yeah, these are harder movies to make than LOTR.

Buckethead said:
I'm kind of happy that it's having trouble getting off of the ground,
Peter's movies were pretty much perfect.

Guillermo is no slouch, but yeah, these are harder movies to make than LOTR.

Are you serious? The Hobbit could be done perfectly in one film, whereas LOTR was considered unfilmable not too long ago, and certainly would be unfilmable if a studio attempted an extremely faithful adaption. I love Jackson's films. While they aren't fully faithful to every detail, they nearly perfectly capture the essence of the series.

My concern with The Hobbit has to do with whether studio pressure results in a film that's basically another LOTR. The Hobbit is quite different from LOTR in tone, with a more innocent Middle Earth. Expanding such a concise book to two films sounds like a plot to inflate the material, make the battles larger, more action, etc. I have faith in Jackson and Del Toro, but this shitty studio situation could result in a bad product

Del Toro is out as director:

Guillermo Del Toro announced today that he is no longer directing the two movies based on J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit”, but will continue to co-write the screenplays...“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life”, says Guillermo. “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures."

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05/30/36920-guillermo-del-toro-departs-the-hobbit/#more-36920

That's terrible news. The only good thing I can see coming from it is that maybe Jackson will be enticed to take up the role again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom