• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFury

According to Jackson's manager he won't be directing. It might be offered to him at a later date, hopefully.
Peter has and has had obligations and commitments to other films that would make it impossible for him to direct The Hobbit at this time, even if it was offered, which it hasn't been," Kamins said. "I've been quietly working on setting up a film for him to direct while Guillermo would have been directing The Hobbit.
http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/del-toro-leaves-the-hobbit-and-evidently-peter-jackson-wont-be-next/

Ninja Scooter said:
Why don't they cast real dwarves as the Hobbits? I'm tired of all this typical hollywood tall-washing of everything
I think you're being facetious but even if you are I'd have no problem with this, Willow was awesome.

thinking about posting a list of 10 directors that should take it on. What does GAF think? what would you take/add?

10.Vincenzo Natali
9. Sam Raimi
8. Neil Blomkamp
7. Nicolas Winding Refn
5. Gore Verbinski
4. Dean Deblois + Chris Sanders
3. David Fincher
2. Alfonso Cuaron
1. Peter Jackson

DanielPlainview said:
thinking about posting a list of 10 directors that should take it on. What does GAF think? what would you take/add?

10.Vincenzo Natali
9. Sam Raimi
8. Neil Blomkamp
7. Nicolas Winding Refn
5. Gore Verbinski
4. Dean Deblois + Chris Sanders
3. David Fincher
2. Alfonso Cuaron
1. Peter Jackson
Those three sound good.

It's tough because Del Toro seriously would have been the perfect director. He has that dark edge, but knack for blockbuster spectacle that very, very few directors have.

I really wouldn't want Abrams to make it. I love him, but his style is too kinetic.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Christopher Columbus

AbandonThread.gif

Yeah. Peter Jackson or bust

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Wait, so Guillermo left the hobbit?
Wat the hell man :(

Neil Blaknnogngogamp sucks. Please stop mentioning him.
If I never saw his name again I would be extremely happy.

Actually he's okay, albeit, extremely extremely overrated

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
DanielPlainview said:
It's tough because Del Toro seriously would have been the perfect director. He has that dark edge, but knack for blockbuster spectacle that very, very few directors have.

I really wouldn't want Abrams to make it. I love him, but his style is too kinetic.
A Cloverfield style Hobbit would be intense.

Dead

well not really...yet
With all the problems at MGM, and now this, I don't think I will be surprised if the entire project is shitcanned at some point :\

jtb

Banned
It just dawned on me that the Hobbit would be launching almost exactly 10 years after Fellowship of the Ring. Has it really been that long?

Or, at least it would have if the movie was actually getting made...

DanielPlainview said:
10.Vincenzo Natali (no)
9. Sam Raimi (eh, could go either way)
8. Neil Blomkamp (maybe)
7. Nicolas Winding Refn (maybe)
5. Gore Verbinski (fuck off)
4. Dean Deblois + Chris Sanders (no)
3. David Fincher (noooo)
2. Alfonso Cuaron (yes please)
1. Peter Jackson (double yes please)

Seems about right.

Peter Weir would be great too. Gallipoli and Master and Commander Mmmmmmmm.

Branduil

This is terrible.

At this point I just hope MGM dies and the rights are sold to a competent studio. I don't understand how they can screw up such a sure moneymaker.

Rindain

Banned
Fuck MGM and whoever is taking so long to dismantle / sell it.

Ruining the next Bond with Craig directed by Sam Mendes, and now this.

This probably means Del Toro will be moving on to his Lovecraft project and Hellboy 3.

Really pissed that I won't see HIS Hobbit film (though in a way whoever directs this will still be in the shadow of Del Toro and Jackson since they completed script duties AND are finished design works and set duties).

But optimistic about his future, he's got some interesting projects in the pipeline.

Dead

well not really...yet
I would love it if Del Toro went on to make Hellboy 3, but I think he said it probably won't ever happen, if at least due to Ron Perlman no longer wanting to go through the makeup and costuming ordeal of the role

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm glad in a way he's dropped out, it's simply a huge undertaking to focus on Hobbit while he would clearly be missing out a few projects. Now do Slaughterhouse-Five, please!

What are you serious? What the fuck. I always assumed Hellboy 3 was a sure-fire thing. And Perlman also doesn't want to do it?

But then again....maybe Mignola could direct? (nah, it wouldn't happen. Studios would be so against that).

I am seriously pissed off after reading this. This is what happens when too many hands are in the candy jar at the same time, no one gets anything. To fix a situation like this you need strong leadership and a willingness to compromise, and apparently the guys at MGM are unwilling or unable to provide this. At this point Warner Brothers needs to outright buy the full rights to produce and distribute this movie and beg Del Toro to return to the project. These movies are all but guaranteed to net at least a billion dollars in total revenue from ticket sales, DVD/Bluray, merchandise, etc. Whatever percentage of the revenue stream (minus predicted costs) that would go to MGM is what WB needs to pay, plus a little extra to seal the deal.

In the end though I'm just a fan. I can't do anything to solve this, but damn do I wish I was a suit working for WB. I would twist, cajole, and bribe whoever stood in the way to make this happen.

Jex

M. Night needs to step up. Then the twist reveal will be that "The Hobbit" is actually a sequel to "The Lord of the Rings."

Kinda torn on this. On one hand I was looking forward to the film and trusted Del Toro/Jackson. On the other hand the studio drama seemed like the perfect recipe to spawn a money grabbing adaption that turned The Hobbit in to LOTR 2, in 3D.

The Hobbit is not LOTR. It doesn't require two films and multiple battles. Maybe this is a good thing, and will allow Del Toro to do new stuff, and Jackson to get out of the creative slump he's in (haven't seen Lovely Bones but heard it sucked).

Also, you'd think a studio could get their act together to get a film off the ground that is basically guaranteed to gross $800 million or so at the (worldwide) box office.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Cuaron would be great for this, and he's pals with Del Toro so maybe it'll happen.

And even though he's never done anything similiar to The Hobbit, I have to admit I'd love to see Fincher's take on it.

How about tagging David Yates to direct?

He was the one picked to direct the 5th Harry Potter film and then the subsequent ones from there on. In my opinion, I think he was the best Harry Potter director, and really took that franchise to a good place.

Whoever ends up directing this though, has to be capable of keeping a balance between the dark aspects of the book, but also the whimsical and light-hearted bits too.

SpectreFire said:
How about tagging David Yates to direct?

He was the one picked to direct the 5th Harry Potter film and then the subsequent ones from there on. In my opinion, I think he was the best Harry Potter director, and really took that franchise to a good place.

Whoever ends up directing this though, has to be capable of keeping a balance between the dark aspects of the book, but also the whimsical and light-hearted bits too.

Oh god no. Leave Yates out of this.

God damn man. I really think the film will be cancelled now. This majorly sucks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Del Toro leaving the director's chair really plummets my confidence. He was perfect.

EatChildren said:
Del Toro leaving the director's chair really plummets my confidence. He was perfect.
Yup totally.
PJ doing this would be my only alternative choice, but god damn I was seriously looking forward to a film set in Middle Earth by Del Toro.

Yasae

Banned
Dabookerman said:
Yup totally.
PJ doing this would be my only alternative choice, but god damn I was seriously looking forward to a film set in Middle Earth by Del Toro.
Agreed. Even the mediocre Mimic would convince me to let Del Toro direct.

People are trashing Gore Verbinski too much. His adaptation of The Ring and his work on the first Pirates wasn't falling down drunk or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom