• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

Don't know if it's the right thread but Bethesda Gear Store just sent me a notification that my Constellation Edition is about to be shipped, I have the DHL tracking number, no delivery date yet.

I ordered it 3 days ago as they still had it in stock :D (and they still do)
I got a CE from Best Buy last weekend too - they are going in/out of stock due to cancellations. Welcome to the club! We made it!

MMaRsu

Banned

Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

quark-trek-star.gif

andrew-ryan-bioshock.gif

Legendary actor

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Does anyone know if there is a time that the preload is available on Steam tomorrow? Or is it just after midnight?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
02:00 😵‍💫
I’ll go to bed early and start playing in the morning instead.

Same. I think I will set my alarm to 4:15, wake up, go downstairs, make a coffee, download whatever the remaining files will be and dive right in.

I have a temporary TV setup in my small office downstairs ready to just lock myself in away from family and play uninterrupted. Selfish but this is once in a lifetime, glorious occasion.

Fredrik

Same. I think I will set my alarm to 4:15, wake up, go downstairs, make a coffee, download whatever the remaining files will be and dive right in.

I have a temporary TV setup in my small office downstairs ready to just lock myself in away from family and play uninterrupted. Selfish but this is once in a lifetime, glorious occasion.
Yup. I go up 05:00 in the morning on work days so I’ll just do the same thing on saturday. Fast breakfast and then I’ll go hide in the computer room til 10:00, will give me nearly 5 hours on my first play session. Then I’ll try to be a family man and finally I’ll go back inside around 20:00 for a late session til 24:00 or so. First day, 9 hours, that’ll be my plan. 😁

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't think anyone who is excited for this game thinks its going to be some perfect dream game that has like 0 restrictions or anything. It's still a game running on a 250 dollar box ffs.

Lol

Nightmares of tiles incoming!

encaustic GIF by National Tiles

I think anyone who is really, really excited like me is a Bethesda games fan and can't wait for their first new game in almost 10 years.

Space rpg with combat and Bethesda goodies including all the jank.

Give it to me now!

Fredrik

I don't think anyone who is excited for this game thinks its going to be some perfect dream game that has like 0 restrictions or anything. It's still a game running on a 250 dollar box ffs.

Lol
It’s also a game running on a 7900x and 4090…
So I certainly hope that weaksauce box ain’t holding back this game, if it is then fuck MS forever for buying Bethesda. Sorry to be so harsh but this game has always been a PC game for me, I don’t want to hear about consoles holding anything back.

twilo99

So I certainly hope that weaksauce box ain’t holding back this game, if it is then fuck MS forever for buying Bethesda. Sorry to be so harsh but this game has always been a PC game for me, I don’t want to hear about consoles holding anything back.

All 3 boxes are extra strenght weaksauce compared to a 4090 build and are basically holding back every single game available...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Well yeah. I have a 13900ks and a 4090 and I hope it looks and plays amazing on my pc but it needs to run on all sorts of pcs probably worse specs than the xbox too.

I mean, you only have to look at the game to see how much of a leap it is over previous Bethesda games.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Modders on PC will pick up the slack and push the game beyond its initial limits. There are entire cities and storylines added into Skyrim thanks to them, won't be any different here. MY 4090/13700k are ready.

Fredrik

Well yeah. I have a 13900ks and a 4090 and I hope it looks and plays amazing on my pc but it needs to run on all sorts of pcs probably worse specs than the xbox too.

I mean, you only have to look at the game to see how much of a leap it is over previous Bethesda games.
Well then you know. There are dozens of us! I’m just hoping it’s not designed with strange limitations from the start just to run well on a Series S. If it is then I hope the limitations can be removed on PC or rather aren’t there in the first place. Bigger tiles or no tiles or something like that.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
did anything leak on how it runs on PC? i don't want to use FSR
The reddit leaker said his friend was on a 3800X+2080Ti. High Settings, Dynamic Res+FSR 2 with 1440p target output resolution.

He gets 45-60 fps most of the time, 60-70 fps in dungeons and space.

performance is smooth tho imo, haven't touched settigns too much. no stutters as well.

[\QUOTE]

Last edited:

Montauk

There is simply no way this game lives up to the hype

That’s always been my concern. From the very first moment of the news that they were making this, it was obvious that people’s expectations were going to be excessive.

Like I said before, there seem to be people labouring under the misconception that this is going to be Fallout 3 plus No Man’s Sky plus Star Citizen.

It’s gonna be a game, not a fantasy. Not an unreleased joke, either.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That’s always been my concern. From the very first moment of the news that they were making this, it was obvious that people’s expectations were going to be excessive.

Like I said before, there seem to be people labouring under the misconception that this is going to be Fallout 3 plus No Man’s Sky plus Star Citizen.

It’s gonna be a game, not a fantasy. Not an unreleased joke, either.

I think anyone with half a brain cell is just expecting fallout in space. That'd what I've always been hyped for.

I've just completed outer worlds so my levels are well and truly met on what to expect from a next gen one of those.

I completed fallout 4 and all its dlc again about 2 years ago as well. So I'm not expecting something insane over that.

Like I'd welcome any nice surprises but I'm still expecting Bethesda jank and that's fine by me. As long as its a true good Bethesda game of skyrim in space..I'll be over the moon 🌙 🌚

Montauk

I think anyone with half a brain cell is just expecting fallout in space. That'd what I've always been hyped for.

I've just completed outer worlds so my levels are well and truly met on what to expect from a next gen one of those.

I completed fallout 4 and all its dlc again about 2 years ago as well. So I'm not expecting something insane over that.

Like I'd welcome any nice surprises but I'm still expecting Bethesda jank and that's fine by me. As long as its a true good Bethesda game of skyrim in space..I'll be over the moon 🌙 🌚

I really hope it’s good.

I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t want any game to be good. That means more good games in the world, and there are way too many shitty ones.

Fingers crossed. This’ll be the first BGS game I’ve ever played, really.

Somehow missed out all the big ones over the years.

Last edited:

Fredrik

There is simply no way this game lives up to the hype
Nope.
But it’ll still be the event of a decade to jump into that new universe, 7/10 or 10/10 doesn’t matter, I know I’ll step in with excitement and will struggle to step out again. I don’t feel like anything in the genre can compete with Bethesda when it comes to crafting a living and interactive world focused on exploration with deep lore. And mods will take it further for years.
Can’t wait!

Montauk

If people are expecting an Open World Space RPG, hype levels will be met. If people are expecting a next-level space simulation then yeah there will be tons of disappointment.

The latter would be bad enough, but there are clearly a considerable number of people who expect it to be both.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Hopefully that means i can get 1080p/60 with FSR on my 3700x and 1080ti.
So often it seems leakers are a little tarded and don't bother testing what people would actually want to see.

Assuming it's a legit leak, it's hard to tell how CPU-limited his setup is. Maybe a Ryzen 5000-series CPU will offer 60+, and maybe a 5800x3d does even better? Or maybe it's GPU-limited at those settings and dropping a few settings down to Medium will fix the issue? We won't know until embargo lifts on August 31st at 9AM PST/12PM EST.

I have the same CPU as you, so I'm hoping for the best. Worst comes to worst I'm will to upgrade to a 5000-series if it really helps.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If people are expecting an Open World Space RPG, hype levels will be met. If people are expecting a next-level space simulation then yeah there will be tons of disappointment.

I'm not even expecting a fully open world, to be honest with you. I'm expecting a lot of separate, open world environments, but nothing approaching seamless.

Stuart360

So often it seems leakers are a little tarded and don't bother testing what people would actually want to see.

Assuming it's a legit leak, it's hard to tell how CPU-limited his setup is. Maybe a Ryzen 5000-series CPU will offer 60+, and maybe a 5800x3d does even better? Or maybe it's GPU-limited at those settings and dropping a few settings down to Medium will fix the issue? We won't know until embargo lifts on August 31st at 9AM PST/12PM EST.

I have the same CPU as you, so I'm hoping for the best. Worst comes to worst I'm will to upgrade to a 5000-series if it really helps.
I mean i'll just switch to 50hz if i have to. Done it with other games like Cyberpunk. A consistent 50fps to me is better than a 60fps framerate with lots of dips into the 50's. Plus 50fps (swictching to 50hz) looks almost the same as 60fps on my 60hz tv.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I fully expect this game to live up to my hype. I see it as a mix of The Outer Worlds, Mass Effect, and No Man's Sky. Going by the previews that's exactly what I'll get.

The people who go by their own imagination will probably feel let down, but how do their delusions affect my enjoyment of the game? They aren't even concerned about the same things I am. I'm more worried that I won't get to see my romance option's titties than whether I can see a forest from a different tile.

Danknugz

running at 30 fps should be your answer. they knew it would disappoint a lot of people but one of the main reasons they did that was to avoid having to hamper the PC release with all kinds of degraded assets and compromises.

Fredrik

Serious question:

When was the last time you were as excited about a new game coming out?

I’ve been gaming since the early 80s, I play on all platforms, and I struggle to find anything that can compete with my pre-release excitement over Starfield.
Maybe BOTW was close, idk, and Oblivion was big too but I had no previous experience in Bethesda’s RPGs so didn’t really know what to expect. Cyberpunk was a big one for me too. MGS2 could be close, possibly FF7 as well. I was insanely excited about The Last Ninja 3 too. But when I think back I feel like everything is slightly behind Starfield. I fully expect that it’ll end with some disappointment but I don’t care. Hype 11/10! 🔥

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Serious question:

When was the last time you were as excited about a new game coming out?

I’ve been gaming since the early 80s, I play on all platforms, and I struggle to find anything that can compete with my pre-release excitement over Starfield.
Maybe BOTW was close, idk, and Oblivion was big too but I had no previous experience in Bethesda’s RPGs so didn’t really know what to expect. Cyberpunk was a big one for me too. MGS2 could be close, possibly FF7 as well. I was insanely excited about The Last Ninja 3 too. But when I think back I feel like everything is slightly behind Starfield. I fully expect that it’ll end with some disappointment but I don’t care. Hype 11/10! 🔥
For me maybe it was OG World of Warcraft after being in the beta, its been that long since I have looked this forward to a game.

clarky

Gold Member
For me maybe it was OG World of Warcraft after being in the beta, its been that long since I have looked this forward to a game.
Probably Halo 3 or further back OG Perfect Dark. I almost trashed my local when they wouldn't sell it to me a couple of days early. LOL.

Not very often we get a game like this, hopefully it lives upto everyone's expectations.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I'm not that worried about the bugs. I've completed Bethesda RPGs from begining to end at launch without many issues and just a ittle jank here and there, but my overall experience was great. The whole Bugthesda thing is being over-hyped and over-played, mainly by a bunch of Playstation fanboys and click-bait opportunists. Plus, Todd Howard said the game was ready for launch last year and they've used the extra time to polish the game.

Danknugz

I'm not that worried about the bugs. I've completed Bethesda RPGs from begining to end at launch without many issues and just a ittle jank here and there, but my overall experience was great. The whole Bugthesda thing is being over-hyped and over-played, mainly by a bunch of Playstation fanboys and click-bait opportunists. Plus, Todd Howard said the game was ready for launch last year and they've used the extra time to polish the game.
absolutely not, in just about every single fallout in the series (i played everyone one since fallout 3) i have encountered some main quest breaking bug that requires me to resort to a backup save or start over again. thankfully i always had a backup save handy or wasn't too far in when i had to restart.

it's just the nature of game and how complex the decision trees get once you've opened multiple quests and talked to all different NPCs, some of the NPCs might affect parts of the quest and that's where the bugs tend to happen, you'll need to find someone to advance the quest and they will be nowhere to be found for example.

Krathoon

I remember seeing the engine literally set up a scene in Skyrim before. It was like there was some kind of draw distance problem.

Top Bottom