• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Japanese studios I grew up loving are all dead to me now and I'm sad

Moofers

What the hell happened over there? From the NES to the PS2 there were so many amazing things coming from Japan. So many legendary franchises that were strong and relevant but are now in the shitter. It's like none of them understand how to make a solid game anymore or even what to do with the IP's they own. Is it something in the water? I mean why is it so hard to figure out a viable business model that honors the traditions that made these companies a success in the first place?

Capcom is almost dead to me. The only thing on the table that's worth a shit is Street Fighter and Dragons Dogma. Mega Man is dead and fucking buried, rotting away never to return. Breath of Fire 6 is a F2P for iOS that looks like a total POS. Resident Evil is about to get snazzier costumes so they can promote the series via fashion magazines. Does your head hurt yet? Mine fucking does.

I worry about Street Fighter overstaying it's welcome. SFxT was proof that greedy Capcom are still looking for that free-money angle that will get them that endless revenue stream. 5 versions of SFIV is proof that the old tactics will stand until they figure out whatever that new method is. It's ugly and gives the impression they are looking to milk whereever possible. And oh yeah, Devil May Cry did not need a redesign for Dante. That game was a good opportunity for a new IP.

Konami is almost dead to me. They have Metal Gear. They'll never let Kojima try anything else, ever, so I guess at least those games are still under his vision. But look at scabby nurses aka Silent Hill. They have no idea what too do with that series. Somebody over there had some inspiration for Shattered Memories, but other than that they are clearly wondering what to do with it. The Vita game was a Diablo clone for crying out loud. Where is Contra? Why not bring back some old NES era names like Life Force? Resogun and Geometry Wars are proof that there is room for the shmup in the modern era. And what about Castlevania? The 3d God of War games are good, but there is a lot that can be done in the 2D space and I think they are afraid to do it or even try. Imagine how killer a Vania would look with art that resembled one of the Guilty Gear games instead of rehashing old sprites from 15 years ago? Shit, they could knock it out of the park for a game or two just by overhauling the visuals as they tinker with ideas to evolve the gameplay. I get the feeling we'll see a Vania card game for iOS any day now as it feels like they don't know what to do with it.

SquareEnix is almost dead to me. I'm playing FFXIV on PS3 but that's it. I didn't like FFXIII or any of their recent efforts at an RPG. They simply cannot write a story that doesn't get lost up its own ass before the end, it seems. Thinking back on the FF games from the PS1 era that I loved, I have to honestly wonder did they ever know? I'm not 17 anymore, so a lot of that nonsense is less forgivable as I'm smart enough to realize it's not actually over my head, it's just garbage. But I digress. The point is we have not seen a new Tobal, Einhander, Bushido Blade, Brave Fencer, or anything resembling inspiration in years. They even refuse to cater to their desperate fanbase by remaking FFVII, instead slamming their heads against the wall trying to get Lightning to take off while only the most stalwart fans are interested in weathering that storm, but even that is a challenge as Square seems to think bigger tits and costumes are the ticket to success at last. (Honestly I was digging the tits and costumes and am annoyed they downgraded her cup size again. Stick to your guns when you make ballsy moves like that)

Sega is dead to me. Virtual Fighter has it's anniversary come and go without so much as a tweet about it, Sonic is now claimed by weird nerds with animal fetishes, and the days of innovative and ground breaking games like Jet Set Radio and Shenmue are long gone. Now the Aliens franchise is one of your four pillars holding up the ceiling. What a sad fucking state of affairs that is for all of us.

Namco have Tekken. and Soul Calibur, both of which are as stellar as ever. Although it sounds like a half-assed HD port of SCII for $20 is a good example of burning up that good-will very quickly. But what else are you doing, guys? Those two can only go for so long without other games to give them breaks. Dark Souls is huge for you, so that's great, but I can't think of any other games in the pipeline from you.

Nintendo has it working the best out of anyone. Sure, they are retreading the same titles over and over, but at least they are still putting out the games their fans want. For the most part anyway. Still waiting on that version of Zelda we got a trailer for 10 years ago, but otherwise you can't complain too much as they seem to be doing their thing and running a successful model in the process, all while keeping the loyal diehard fans mostly pleased. Always wanting, sure, but mostly pleased.

We've heard the argument that it's just too expensive to make games now and maybe that's why everything needs to be the next big thing or else. But you know what? It's not going to be the next big thing. If small studios of like 8 people can put out some really memorable games on PSN and XBLA, why not you guys? Make a new Mega Man with a small team and an appropriate budget spent wisely on new art direction and assets. Make a new Castlevania and Life Force the same way. Make a new Resident Evil that focuses on redefining survival horror the way the series did 15 years ago. Be brave enough to omit multiplayer and let the game stand on its own. Keep the budget under control. And if you're SquareEnix, learn to put out a game in 2-3 years or go back to the drawing board and figure out where you've gone wrong. I'm tired of seeing my fond memories of the studios I used to love get dragged through the mud by the ghastly reanimated corpses they resemble now. It's times for change, Japan!

Agreed on Capcom and Konami. I never expect anything good from SE (aside from Dragon Quest), so their output doesn't directly affect me now.

Namco I lost all respect for after they ran Katamari Damacy into the ground. (Fucking Star Wars in SC didn't help them in my eyes, either.) Series like KD don't come along very often. They destroyed it.

Sega really should be ashamed of themselves for not at least putting Shenmue up for download. Absolutely disgusting.

They have done an excellent job of bombarding us with disappointment

I feel like I lived through a truly magical time for games in the 90's to early 2000...

While Falcom/Atlus/FromSoftware/Nintendo/Platinum exist everything will be fine.

With that said:
Konami is dead without Kojima..

Capcom is awful but they have some amazing IPs like MH and Ace Attorney.

Square Enix is almost dead for me but I'm looking fordward to Bravely Default.

Namco was dead for me some years ago but now they are bringing us most of their games, pretty happy about it.

alstein

Just because Sega didn't announce something on the 26th, doesn't mean they're not doing VF6.

I suspect we'll hear something next year, probably in the first half.

Sega is largely PC and Atlus now though- the old Sega is mostly dead, but the new Sega isn't bad.

Lunar15

Thankfully there's other Japanese developers that were able to scratch the itch: Atlus and Falcom, for example.

It is kind of depressing to see where the others have fallen. HD really hit japan hard.

Goldmund

While many Japanese studios/publishers might be dead to you, a lot of Western studios are actually dead. I find that worse.

maxcriden

Nintendo has it working the best out of anyone. Sure, they are retreading the same titles over and over, but at least they are still putting out the games their fans want. For the most part anyway. Still waiting on that version of Zelda we got a trailer for 10 years ago, but otherwise you can't complain too much as they seem to be doing their thing and running a successful model in the process, all while keeping the loyal diehard fans mostly pleased. Always wanting, sure, but mostly pleased.

I don't think this is necessarily fair or true. I would say Nintendo these days releases a healthy mix of new IPs/gameplay experiences and sequels/new iterations in previous IPs/series.

Thankfully there's other Japanese developers that were able to scratch the itch: Atlus and Falcom, for example.

It is kind of depressing to see where the others have fallen. HD really hit japan hard.

And the Mobile sector has forced them to aspire to far less than they have previously accomplished

Its like the passion to make truly great games was lost in the shuffle

I don't think this is necessarily fair or true. I would say Nintendo these days releases a healthy mix of new IPs/gameplay experiences and sequels/new iterations in previous IPs/series.

While Nintendo certainly has been dropping the ball lately (at least in terms of hardware design), they're not judged by the same standards as other companies, and yes, that is bullshit.

Those are some painful, poignant truth bombs, my friend. The state of Japanese gaming is sad. Square-Enix was the first to break my heart, but now all of them seem to be veering in a direction I don't want to follow them.

Lunar15

While many Japanese studios/publishers might be dead to you, a lot of Western studios are actually dead. I find that worse.

Is it though? A lot of those developers move on to new teams and create new products, some of which go on to be really successful.

In the Japanese case, you have really talented developers who get stuck working on the same thing forever, and there's a really bad stigma around having been fired/working on a failed project that keeps them from being re-hired as quickly.

Honestly, one of the biggest problems with Japanese game development is that talent didn't get shifted around. It may seem counter intuitive, but hiring/firing/closing can sometimes be healthy to a creative industry. Not that losing your job isn't horrible, though.

Those are some painful, poignant truth bombs, my friend. The state of Japanese gaming is sad. Square-Enix was the first to break my heart, but now all of them seem to be veering in a direction I don't want to follow them.

Its a shame that there was a swath of young talent to follow in the footsteps of the greats.

Or whatever the case is. At least in the West we have a bustling Indie scene that goes against our Current AAA grain with moderate levels of success and influence.

In Japan I dunno but clearly the money/greed has overtaken any pride and artistic integrity that once was.

Do we need to count how many Mario games have come out in the last five years? Doesn't seem like a healthy mix.

entremet

Yeah, but those are primary RPG houses.

Konami and Capcom have an action pedigree, from their arcade roots, so it's sad seeing them struggle.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Time to move on. Atlus, Falcom, Arc System Works and others carry the torch now.

maxcriden

Do we need to count how many Mario games have come out in the last five years? Doesn't seem like a healthy mix.

Many of them are pretty different gameplay experiences from one another. And, only if we also count all of the other kinds of games they've released, like Nintendo Land, Pikmin, and TW101.

Lunar15

Yeah, but those are primary RPG houses.

Konami and Capcom have an action pedigree, from their arcade roots, so it's sad seeing them struggle.

Have you met Platinum?

Platinum is a great example of what I was talking about earlier: some of Capcom's best and brightest finally decided to just drop out and do their own thing, and it resulted in a lot of fresh, new ideas. Talent moved around.

george_us

Capcom is the most baffling to me. They started off the PS3/360 generation so well then it seemed like those insane CoD sales made them lose their minds.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Growing up, Japanese games were a huge part of the console gaming experience. It's sad to see Western games dominating consoles now.

Zhao_Yun

Namco have Tekken. and Soul Calibur, both of which are as stellar as ever. Although it sounds like a half-assed HD port of SCII for $20 is a good example of burning up that good-will very quickly. But what else are you doing, guys? Those two can only go for so long without other games to give them breaks. Dark Souls is huge for you, so that's great, but I can't think of any other games in the pipeline from you.

They still have the Tales Series though and in that respect the West has never been treated better. ToS+ToS2 HD and ToX2 next year and a Western version for Tales of Zestiria already confirmed. Actually I like Namco better nowadays than during a few years ago.

Einhander

I think the demand (at least in Japan) has shifted. Home console gaming isn't as popular as it was during the 90s. It's disappointing, but the times are always changing.

andymcc

Banned
I assume that poster is talking about Konami now, and I wouldn't disagree with that assertion myself.

Probably a little bit of a misread but that's all they really have in the western market.

In Japan they flourish because of pachislot shit.

Once western devs migrated from PCs to console that started the decline in popularity for Japanese console games in the west.

This coupled with the decline of console popularity in Japan, yeah.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's definitely sad. And the saddest thing, I think, is that there really aren't any companies that have been able to step in and take their place. There's no replacement for PS1 Square-Enix. It's just a void.

Capcom has so much potential its staggering but they wasted it all.

Konami are MGS and thats it unfortunately.

SE also have so much potential and I have a little bit of faith that they may start making great games and smaller jrpgs again. A little.

Right now, my favourite Japanese devs are From Software, Namco, Atlus, and Falcom.

Wiz

The craziest part is they all started to decline within the same generation. There's a larger problem at hand that isn't unique to any one of these publishers

It's the last paragraph in your OP that really speaks of the state of JP studios today. Many of frail shells of what they used to be. I don't know if it's because they just have a lot of trouble making games in HD with large teams, or because they simply don't know how to make games anymore, but I long for the days just ten-to-fifteen years ago when Japan was the model for game development. They need to learn to be more like Bethesda and Rockstar. Those two companies can make huge AAA games, but they don't squander it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I actually wonder if it's thinking like this from within the company that has dug Konami the hole they're now in. Konami has an amazing legacy of games yet they're turning into the Metal Gear company.

Look at what's become of Castlevania and Contra. They're still producing games for those series, but they're making stupid decisions, like handing development off to Mercury Steam. It's not like they're devoting all of their resources to Metal Gear, it's that when they make a decision other than Metal Gear, they fuck it up.

Yuuichi

It's definitely sad. And the saddest thing, I think, is that there really aren't any companies that have been able to step in and take their place. There's no replacement for PS1 Square-Enix. It's just a void.

I think the demand for 80 hour, expansive RPG games has just gone down the drain with the shift in demographics to people who don't necessarily have that sort of a time commitment for one game. I honestly can only think of Persona 4 as the last fully featured RPG to get critical acclaim. I think the market is gone with the studios.

Steel

Banned
SquareEnix is almost dead to me.

Sega is dead to me.

Namco have Tekken. and Soul Calibur, both of which are as stellar as ever. .

I'll start by saying you forgot Sony, they haven't put much out in the RPG space, but SCEJ has been pumping out a steady stream of pretty interesting games for all of their platforms(I look forward to Oreshika 2 and gravity rush 2 from them currently.

Square Enix has made a few competent portable titles over the years, Crisis Core is plain good, Dissidia is fun(garbage for story, but to be expected given the premise), Bravely Default is supposed to be really good.

Sega now has Atlus, and you're ignoring the fact that they released Valkyria Chronicles, a pretty unique series in itself(and apparently the third one is pretty good, but they'll never localize it). They also published Demon Souls and many other good titles. From Software made Demon Souls though.

However, Namco does not make Dark Souls. From Software does, and Namco Publishes it. Namco also has tales, which, while far from my favorite series, has a dedicated fanbase. They've been localizing more of the titles in that franchise lately and Xillia is well received by fans.

Goldmund

Is it though? A lot of those developers move on to new teams and create new products, some of which go on to be really successful.

In the Japanese case, you have really talented developers who get stuck working on the same thing forever, and there's a really bad stigma around having been fired/working on a failed project that keeps them from being re-hired as quickly.

Honestly, one of the biggest problems with Japanese game development is that talent didn't get shifted around. It may seem counter intuitive, but hiring/firing/closing can sometimes be healthy to a creative industry. Not that losing your job isn't horrible, though.
You might be right, but I feel that the explosion of Western studios and the subsequent implosion made us miss out on a lot of studios that would have needed a slow and gradual growth to become something special (and remain existent) instead. If it weren't for the indie scene, I'd be more concerned about the West than the East.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
We are just finishing a generation which had a drastic rise in handhelds and mobile (DS/PSP to 3DS and Smartphones) and fall in console sales (PS3) in that country. Along with it, the complexity and cost of developing said console games.

The East and West market could not be more different right now. What you're seeing is the result. Not to mention that the talent from all those old games you love are either not with those same companies or gone altogether.

Top Bottom