• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Japanese studios I grew up loving are all dead to me now and I'm sad

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Cacpcom can screw itself. No new Megaman games or boxes for my Ace Attorney games. Only thing I guess I can be looking forward to is Strider.

Sega you almost had Sonic right but you blew it with terrible bosses and level design for certain parts. Only slightly redeemed the game with the Yoshi DLC and 1UP patch.

Konami... Uh I guess you're still making pretty good Metal Gear Solid games so you're kinda not dead to me yet. However you killed Bomberman and that's criminal.

SquareEnix make a not terrible new Secret of Mana game and a new Chrono game and I will like you again. Also enough with the girly men.

Namco... As long as you keep making Ivy boobs bigger you're cool with me.

Lmao.

So many gloom and doom and emo, cry babies in this thread.

Here's my helpful suggestion:

Vote by your wallet. There's no use whining or crying on NeoGAF, it really gets you nowhere. If X company makes a game that doesn't interest you in the slightest, you ignore it. If X company makes a game that interest you, then buy it. How hard can that be?

Lol there are angry posters disagreeing with OP's in every single thread, that is a given. But in this case - what is there to get annoyed about here?

It's just people lamenting about the decline in the influence and output of the erstwhile great Japanese devs and publishers. I don't think you can deny that this has taken place, and the industry is slightly worse-off for it.

Sayah

Namco is my favorite. Quality over quantity.

They helped to publish amazing games:

Ni No Kuni
Dark Souls

They actually localized their own games:
Project X Zone
Tales of Xillia, Graces F, Vesperia, etc.

They developed my favorite fighters:
Tekken 6, TTT2
SoulCalibur V
They also got Gundam which is really popular but I haven't played the series

Their DLC practices have been pretty stellar with Dark Souls and TTT2.

And they've got a very promising future publishing/development lineup:
Super Smash Bros. 4
Dark Souls II
Tekken X Street Fighter
Tales of Xillia 2, Symphonia HD, Zesteria.

The Free 2 Play titles are not at all likely the future of their franchises. Tekken Revolution and Soul Calibur F2P are just test models, I'd imagine. They are just side titles like Soul Calibur Legends. The actual main titles (Tekken 7, Soul Calibur VI) will not be F2P. I'm pretty sure of that.

They've RISEN.

AmyS

Near the beginning of the year I had high hopes Namco would have Ridge Racer 8 for PS4 launch, and somewhere down the road, Ace Combat 7.

Those hopes have long since been dashed.

Forkball

Many Japanese developers worked with relatively modest budgets. These days everything is so AAA oriented that a lot of smaller companies that had no problem surviving for years were completely smashed (RIP Hudson). The changing demographics and expectations in gaming contribute to these companies taking less risks or focusing on gearing their games to meet a certain demographic as opposed to simply making a good game. In the ye ol' days, if your game sold a million copies, that franchise was cemented as a success. Now companies fold if games don't hit 5 million.

I don't think it's too dire, there are still a lot of great games coming out of Japan. Capcom gets a lot of flack, and yeah they've done some stuff that is anti-consumer, but they were one of the few to adapt successfully to the HD generation and did make a lot of great games. Nintendo is consistently putting out amazing titles. Square has also had some good games as well, and I'm excited for Bravely Default.

Jinko

Capcom, Konami, Sega, and Square-Enix have all lost the plot, and if it wasn't for Nintendo, I think that Japanese void would pretty much be unfilled right now. Hopefully the popularity of the PS4 will help to bring some of these companies back from mediocrity in the coming years.

Hmmm I actually don't see the PS4 doing great in Japan, it seems more like a box aimed at western gamers and developers, time will tell though.

abadguy

Banned
I think about this every time I watch an episode. I used to do the same with Panty and Stocking too.

Often thought about how cool it would be to have a Panty and Stocking game that played something like Viewtiful Joe/Bayonetta with the same soundtrack as the anime version. Though going by the shitstorm caused by Dragon's Crown, i could only imagine the kind drama PSG would inspire.

They all went to studios like Platinum, which, unfortunately is bombing because people don't seem to care enough about classic japanese action games anymore. So, there's your answer - shit ain't sellin'.

It sounds so stupid to say "publisher X is dead to me", why can't you people just ignore the bad games and get the good ones? Sure, there are plenty of disappointing stuff these publishers have done, but it seems a lot of you whiners are willfully ignoring all the good stuff just to reinfornce some drama queen-ish BS you've come up in your head.

I mean, come on... during the last generation of consoles & handhelds and within the last couple of years...

Capcom
Dragon's Dogma
Last Ranker
several Monster Hunter games
Layton vs. Ace Attorney
Resident Evil Revelations
Ghost Trick
Okamiden
Okami HD
Mega Man: Powered Up!
Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
Bionic Commando ReArmed
Dead Rising
Dead Rising 2
Lost Planet
Lost Planet 2
Remember Me
(Ultimate) Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Street Fighter IV
Ace Attorney 5
Devil May Cry 4
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Zack & Wiki
Resident Evil 5
+ upcoming promising stuff like
Deep Down
hopefully-they've-learned-something-from-RE6 Resident Evil 7
Strider HD

Square Enix
TWEWY
KH:BBS
KH:DDD
KH ReCoded (hey, it's a fun game to play even if in the bigger picture it's a pretty pointless release)
Bravely Default
NieR
Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest DS remakes
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Final Fantasy XIV 2.0
KH1.5 HD
FFX | X-2 HD
Theatrhythm
The Last Remnant
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Space Invaders Extreme
Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King/Dark Lord
Dissidia 012
Crisis Core
Final Fantasy Type-0
+ with upcoming games like
Drakengard III
Theatrhythm Curtain Call
Bravely Second
FFXV
KHIII
Kingdom Hearts 2.5HD

Namco Bandai
Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Vesperia
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Ace Combat 6
God Eaters Burst
God Eaters 2
Eternal Sonata
Soul Calibur IV & V
Ridge Racer 7
Solatorobo
Beautiful Katamari and other Katamari games
Ni No Kuni
Enslaved
One Piece Pirate Warriors
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja series
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

Looking those lists, I can't help but feel all boo-fucking-hoo towards all of you whiners complaining about some kind of imaginary downfall of Japanese publishers. They've made mistakes, handled some franchises badly (though, I don't blame them from trying something different with franchises like Ridge Racer, after 10-15+ years with some of these franchises they SHOULD try something new), not localized some games a lot of people want etc. but it's not like gamers aren't at fault at all. You demand more, yet want to pay less. That isn't sustainable. I know none of you give a shit about the survival of these money-hungry, evil corporations, but you can't expect them to cater to your needs when many of you are so out of sync with reality.

I feel Konami is the only one to really deserve this kind of apathy towards, as they have dropped the ball with Kojima & his team(s) (they don't ever let him do anything else but Metal Gear), screwed up Metal Gear Rising before Platinum came in to save the day, ran both Suikoden and Silent Hill to the ground, have failed to keep up with FIFA with PES, half-assed Zone of the Enders HD Collection (though fixed it for PS3), came up with games like Bomberman Act Zero that raped millions of children's childhood memories, haven't really come up with many new interesting IPs (and failed with the few they did) or successfully kept up old ones at all... Metal Gear Solid & Castlevania: LoS are the only things going on for them at the moment, as far as console gaming goes.

If you look at your list, you can see that we aren't getting more of a lot of these games.

Capcom

Megaman is basically a dead IP at this point.

Ghost'n Goblins is also dead or to be relegated to social gaming.

A traditional DMC game is very unlikely at this point

Zack & Wiki is one of those "middle class" games that aren't coming back

Resident Evil is a joke compared past entries (yeah even Revelations)

Then whe have mediocre games like Remember Me in that list

And how nice of you to list only japanese games lol

Square Enix

The company is dialing back portable games: We aren't seeing games like CC, BBB or TWEWY with the rare exception of BD.

Valkyria Profile is likely dead or worst: Mobile oblivion

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles sub-series is also dead. It wasn't that good to be honest, but you get the point.

LOL HD Remakes LOL

Tactics Ogre is dead too or probably they already have some Mobage game ready

FF Tactics also became part of the GREE F2P list of beloved IP that will not come back ever as traditional games.

Lufia? lol

Namco Bandai

Ridge Racer sent to cheap recicled iOS gaming area. Dead

Ace Combat is relegated to F2P model. Almost dead

Tales of is quite "healthy" and is still a console/portable IP. Good

Katamari is dead

Enslaved was shit

Dark Souls is From Software, so the merit should go to them

I don't think your list really paint the actual situation. A lot of these games were released on very different circumstances regarding the actual japanese (and worldwide market). The SE that released CC and a fuckton of portable games is not the same SE of now, same goes for Capcom.

The situation is grimm for a lot of people that loved series and games like VP, Megaman, Ace Combat, Ridge Racer, Armored Core, Tenchu, Fratal Frame and I could keep going.

Lol there are angry posters disagreeing with OP's in every single thread, that is a given. But in this case - what is there to get annoyed about here?

It's just people lamenting about the decline in the influence and output of the erstwhile great Japanese devs and publishers. I don't think you can deny that this has taken place, and the industry is slightly worse-off for it.

Yeah, this isn't pre-Fish, you can't get away with the ulterior "broad brush and dash" bullshit and no one's tried. Almost everyone has given out accurate examples and keep emotions aimed true. It's very illuminating for those who don't know and refreshing for those who do.

redcrayon

Why is it okay for Nintendo to throw money at Monster Hunter exclusive yet when Microsoft does it with EA/Titanfall they're evil and also the devil.

It's the same thing. I don't want to own Nintendo hardware for multiple reasons but I want to play one of my favorite Capcom (not owned by Nintendo) video game series. If you can't see why that upsets fans and makes them angry at both companies I highly suggest checking out this thread, because again I'm not seeing much difference in these two moneyhat deals.
Neogaf is not a monolithic entity. Personally I really couldn't care less which faceshooter appears on which system, or about fan outrage regarding the genre. Put them all on the Ouya for all it matters to me :D

However, I'm quite happy with MonHun as it is. Seeing as MH3G and 4 are selling well and extremely profitable (which is always good as it increases likelihood of western release), it seems the angry contingent is a bit of a vocal minority there. Out of interest, is there actually any evidence kicking around re. a monster hunter money hat, as it just seems like a reasonable decision by Capcom to me. Is it really that hard to believe that, long-term, they are interested in the best move to grow their franchise so they get more cash every year, not just the biggest bag of cash two years ago, and that the successor to the DS sounded like an easier way to do that rather than the successor to the PSP?

I'm just not really sure how you can call putting your most popular portable franchise on the upcoming successor to the most popular portable ever that is also the cheapest to develop for 'mishandling' it, no matter how much you wanted a more expensive to develop sequel on a machine with better specs. I liked the PSP games too, and prefer MonHun with two sticks, but let's be reasonable here, Nintendo didn't need to money hat MonHun. They just needed to turn up and say 'your assets will look fine on our next machines, minimal cost to develop, we'll help with marketing and servers overseas'. That just sounds more likely than Iwata turning up with a suitcase full of used notes.

My point was that just because you don't want Monster Hunter on the 3DS for whatever reasons doesn't mean it's been mishandled by Capcom, it's clearly been quite good for them considering the interest in a western release of MH4, if not for you. Regarding your comparison, the difference is that Titanfall is a new IP aimed at the western market, that could have been reasonably expected to be multiplatform, considering how rare third-party exclusives are on home consoles now. Monster Hunter is a decade-old IP that relies on local multiplayer, tends not to have the same game appear on competing systems, and third-party exclusives are still commonplace on portables. So, no, it's not the same thing at all.

collige

Banned
Nintendo has it working the best out of anyone. Sure, they are retreading the same titles over and over, but at least they are still putting out the games their fans want. For the most part anyway. Still waiting on that version of Zelda we got a trailer for 10 years ago, but otherwise you can't complain too much as they seem to be doing their thing and running a successful model in the process, all while keeping the loyal diehard fans mostly pleased. Always wanting, sure, but mostly pleased.

I agree with the sentiment of the OP, but this is just wrong. Nintendo is guilty of fucking up/abandoning just as many franchises as everyone else.

redcrayon

I agree with the sentiment of the OP, but this is just wrong. Nintendo is guilty of fucking up/abandoning just as many franchises as everyone else.
Don't they tend to abandon the less popular ones like Starfox or F-Zero though?

Agree on Other M, not sure what they were thinking there, it makes me shudder to think what they'll do to Link's character if they ever give him voice acting. They'll turn him into some whiny, needy emotional wreck overnight.

collige

Banned
Don't they tend to abandon the less popular ones like Starfox or F-Zero though?

Agree on Other M, not sure what they were thinking there, it makes me shudder to think what they'll do to Link's character if they ever give him voice acting. They'll turn him into some whiny, needy emotional wreck overnight.

That's the point though. They've kept up with about five of their classic franchises over the Wii + Wii U and dumped or forgotten about almost all the IPs that made me fall in love with them as a company to begin with. F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid, Wave Race, 1080, Eternal Darkness, Baiten Kaitos, Fatal Frame, the list goes on.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Those are some painful, poignant truth bombs, my friend. The state of Japanese gaming is sad. Square-Enix was the first to break my heart, but now all of them seem to be veering in a direction I don't want to follow them.
All of this.

The only studio I really miss is Smilebit.
Thanks for bringing back so much pain, now I'm reminded of Team Andromeda. I still dream of a Panzer Dragoon RPG with modern production values sometimes. Even though I know deep down it will never happen. ;_;

Lmao.

So many gloom and doom and emo, cry babies in this thread.
Not really, just nostalgic folks lamenting their losses.

Here's my helpful suggestion:
It's not helpful, it's asinine.

Vote by your wallet. There's no use whining or crying on NeoGAF, it really gets you nowhere. If X company makes a game that doesn't interest you in the slightest, you ignore it. If X company makes a game that interest you, then buy it. How hard can that be?
Because you see, we already do that. But this is a gaming forum, where we discuss things and have conversations. So, if this conversation doesn't interest you, my helpful suggestion is to find a discussion you are interested in instead of shitposting in this one.

beril

That's the point though. They've kept up with about five of their classic franchises over the Wii + Wii U and dumped or forgotten about almost all the IPs that made me fall in love with them as a company to begin with. F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid, Wave Race, 1080, Eternal Darkness, Baiten Kaitos, Fatal Frame, the list goes on.

That doesn't even make sense.
Fatal Frame wasn't even on Nintendo platforms until they published FF4 on Wii (Japan only), and later a remake of the second, and some spinoff on 3DS a few years ago.

Baiten Kaitos was originally a Namco IP, Nintendo published Origins, but that was still before Monolith became first party, and who knows which company owns the IP now.

Eternal Darkness was a one off thing with a developer who later f-ed up spectacularly.

If those games are what made you fall in love with Nintendo, you're probably not really suited for each other to begin with.

And Metroid had two entries on Wii, it can afford to rest a few years. Star Fox at least had a remake recently, but yes a new one would be nice

Top Bottom