• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Japanese studios I grew up loving are all dead to me now and I'm sad

Atomsky

Banned
I have to say that from my observation, this all started when Microsoft decided to have their feet in the Japanese gaming market when 360 came out. They started soliciting every Japanese developer and messed up everything.

Spaghetti

in the defence of sega, shifting a majority of their retail output to smaller titles (the cave, castle of illusion, rereleases, et al), focussing on a few core franchises, and understanding pc is a good way to have evergreen sales with cheap/almost costless distribution more or less turned their finances around in the space of a single year, which is phenomenal and allowed them to rescue atlus and relic from the wreckages of other companies

yeah it sucks that we didn't get yakuza 5 overseas, or that a lot of great ips are dormant, but it ensures sega's survival and lowers the chances of them getting sold by sammy in the coming years

And it feels like it`s only going to get worse as games get even more expensive and complex to develop. I`m worried that mid-budget games like The Evil WIthin are going to be very few and far between this gen.

Capcom died with Clover. Things would still be good if Capcom didn't run them out and gave them full creative control. I would guarantee that if a new Okami came out on on home consoles that it would be a hit.

Do we need to count how many Mario games have come out in the last five years? Doesn't seem like a healthy mix.

This too. Nintendo have also started stagnating however the difference between Nintendo and the other Japanaese devs mentioned is that even if the they released the same franchises they were good games.

Look what SE has done to FF with 13 and KH. Look what Capcom has done with Megaman, Resident Evil and Breath of Fire.

Steel

Banned
I think the demand for 80 hour, expansive RPG games has just gone down the drain with the shift in demographics to people who don't necessarily have that sort of a time commitment for one game. I honestly can only think of Persona 4 as the last fully featured RPG to get critical acclaim. I think the market is gone with the studios.

To be fair, FF XIII sold several million. Not to mention Skyrim is pretty much the most popular RPG and its entire existence is a timesink.

Dennis

Banned
Konami - Dead

Capcom - will be revived when they hit gold with RE again

SquareEnix - will be revived when they hit gold with FF again

Sega - Dead in the Japanese sense but a big PC player with Western games

Namco - Dead

Nintendo - will never die

abadguy

Banned
Just because Sega didn't announce something on the 26th, doesn't mean they're not doing VF6.

I suspect we'll hear something next year, probably in the first half.

Sega is largely PC and Atlus now though- the old Sega is mostly dead, but the new Sega isn't bad.

The new Sega is pretty bad compared to Genesis to Dreamcast/early Xbox era Sega. They were once a truly creative company that took actual risks with IPs. Leaving the console business and getting in bed with Sammy pretty much all but killed them, shutting down devs like Smilebit, churning out awful Sonic games for years. The Sega of today sucks. People complain about Rare all the time but Sega's downward spiral into mediocrity was far sadder to watch as a Sega fan who's been there since the Master System.

DJIzana

Trust me, OP... I know EXACTLY how you feel. So much so that the only games I play are pretty much Japanese games. There's the odd Western or European title I'll play but I don't get hyped the same way I do about a Japanese game.

Cherish what console experience you can get from the Japanese games they are making and that are being localized. That's what I'm doing.

Konami - Dead

Sega has Yakuza and PSO.....oh and Miku :)

I do hope SCEJ can increase their output this gen with al the talk of new management etc.

Konami - Dead

Man... The games that SEGA chooses to localize or remake just baffle my brain

They clearly have no interest in catering to their hardcore audience thats for sure

L~A

Latch on to Atlus and hold on for dear life.

Warning : doing that if you're European might lead to some nasty side-effects, Proceed with caution.

And, errmm... "Zelda trailer we got 10 years ago"... like, that 10s tech demo that was just OoT with "better looking" graphics? Ok.

Valnen

5 versions of SFIV is proof that the old tactics will stand until they figure out whatever that new method is.
What? If this was old Capcom, we'd all be paying $60 for Ultra Street Fighter IV, not $15.

andymcc

Banned
I actually wonder if it's thinking like this from within the company that has dug Konami the hole they're now in. Konami has an amazing legacy of games yet they're turning into the Metal Gear company.

Back in the PSOne days, Konami was my favorite company without a doubt. I owned everything, all of the expensive MSX2 (SD Snatcher, MG:SS, Akumajou Dracula, you name it) games, imports of pretty much all of their PSOne/Saturn output etc. They were at their creative best. sometime near the end of the PS2 lifespan, they transitioned into the DDR/MGS factory. This generation, they're the MGS/hand-off-our-storied-game-to-less-than-competent-Western-dev Factory. People say Capcom has fell fast and hard but at least they have Street Fighter. Konami has nothing for me.

Lunar15

You might be right, but I feel that the explosion of Western studios and the subsequent implosion made us miss out on a lot of studios that would have needed a slow and gradual growth to become something special (and remain existent) instead. If it weren't for the indie scene, I'd be more concerned about the West than the East.

Ah, I think I understand what you mean better. Western console development is pretty awful, but yeah PC development and the indie scene have kept it alive.

Really, traditional game development got way too expensive and risky. This seriously impacted both the east and the west. When people realized you could make the big bucks on mobile, a lot of people migrated there. Hopefully this "half-step" generation of consoles can help developers catch up... but I really doubt it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
People are just getting older and seeing first-hand the effects of time. Things shift. Games aren't made by faceless companies - but by the people working at those companies. People retire, change, or move on to other companies. Management changes too - much of Japan's management culture in the game industry seemed incapable of grasping changes to the game market that set in during generation 7.

Whenever one falls another rises. Square is a different company, but Atlus has moved up. And the Tales team at Namco steadily improves.

The irony seems to be that Nintendo is an example of "be careful what you wish for". Sure, they haven't treated series like Starfox or F-Zero well. But by and large they *have* stayed the same as they always where, kept making the same games they always did, and didn't change with the times. And look how much criticism they get for "making the same stuff over and over".

What? If this was old Capcom, we'd all be paying $60 for Ultra Street Fighter IV, not $15.

Besides this, Capcom's "milking" of fighting games has always been misunderstood by casual players. They don't get that fighting game updates are made for the hardcore who want them (generally speaking). All companies are the same this way with fighting games, especially Arc System Works.

Ninjimbo

I came to terms with this a while ago. The realities of the market have forced their hand into creating games I don't care about. It's fine. They have to answer to shareholders. They have a company to sustain and there's no money to be made in decadent franchises.

Wiz

Konami - Dead

Namco - Dead

Nintendo - will never die

Isn't Namco's IP doing generally well? Tales of, Dark Souls, Tekken, Soul Calibur, The Shonen games, etc.

Zafir

Namco is far from dead. They're one of the few Japanese company's still bothering to localise their games.

Sad thread.

In my day it was Capcom, Konami, Squaresoft, Enix, Sunsoft, Hudson, Tecmo and a million more that I can't think of right now.

From that list Capcom is the only one that I would say is doing anything someone like me would care about. SquareEnix what ised to be my favorite company has totally let me down last gen amd thos one is looking to be worse woth their horrible outputs of Final Fantasy and their push for mobile.

Lunar15

Although, the funny thing is, while myself and others mention Atlus, their output was significantly impacted last gen.

Mecha

The big publishers aren't as good as they once were, but they still have franchises that I'm interested in.

From Software is the only japanese developer who knows what the hell they're doing.

Used to be a big fan of Square and Nintendo. Now they're useless.

Zafir

From Software is the only japanese developer who knows what the hell they're doing.

I dunno, From Software are only doing what Nintendo are doing. Updating on the same formula they're renowned for.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Whenever one falls another rises. Square is a different company, but Atlus has moved up.

Atlus rises? Come on now. They rose so high that they were bought by Sega? A company that is an example of falling so far? Hmm...

From Software just found a way to make King's Field work.

Shame the same cannot be said for Armored Core. But it's easy to forget that that is from From too...

For a while there i thought i just grew out of gaming, but then i realized that i'm just not into western games. I love the creativity and imagination that oozes from japanese games but is largely missing from western games that opt for the more realistic and gritty premises.

There are so many critically acclaimed games that i tried this gen that i just couldn't get into. Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, GTA, CoD, BF, Mass Effect, Batman, etc. These games just feel painfully dull to me, and i long for the days when Capcom, Konami, Namco, and Square were the top dogs, because i'm just not a fan of devs like Ubisoft, Rockstar, and Activision.

Mecha

Atlus rises? Come on now. They rose so high that they were bought by Sega? A company that is an example of falling so far? Hmm...

From Software just found a way to make King's Field work.

King's Field works, and the Soul's games aren't like King's Field.

Griss

Hard to disagree with too much of the OP. As others have said, Atlus, From, Platinum and of course Nintendo are still keeping the flag flying, but otherwise it's a grim scene.

What happened? My theories / guesses:
1. As games became more complex - both visually and narratively - the cultural differences between Japan and the West that were hidden behind a simple sprite and short dialogue became more and more obvious, and started turning off more and more fans in the west.

From FFX onwards I've felt like I have to endure character designs and dialogue in almost all JRPGs, rather than actually enjoying them. Eventually I pretty much stopped playing the genre in its entirety.

I always used to wonder - 'What if a talented Japanese dev made a game that was utterly seeped in Western/Euro culture, to the point that you couldn't tell it was made in Japan?' Well, FromSoftware answered that question this generation and became one of the most successful and beloved dev houses out there. Add it all up and seems obvious to me that culture is a problem.

2. As games became more complex - in terms of gameplay - they started to fall out of the mainstream in Japan. It's simple phone games that rule the roost now, but I feel like this has been a long time coming - the average Japanese person checked out of complex gaming some years ago, and traditional Japanese game devs have struggled with that reduced audience etc. To compensate it seems like a lot of them decided that rather than trying to rope everyone back in, that they'd focus on niche audiences like otaku. These games are almost impossible to sell outside of that niche, and almost impossible to localise as there aren't a huge amount of Japanophile western otaku.

3. The rise of the AAA anualised mega-game made by western devs who understand the western mass-market mainstream gamer in an instinctual way that Japanese devs simply don't. These games dominate the market to such an extent that the slice of the pie in the West that Japanese devs can reach is actually smaller than ever, and I don't think those devs are equipped to compete in those areas with CoD or Assassin's Creed.

When their top IPs fail to sell like these games, they think there's a problem with those IPs, but the truth is that only two or three Western IPs are capable of selling like this, and it shouldn't be a goal for anyone. Budget responsibly, and accept the limitations of your IP. But don't simply shelve a popular IP because you're looking for the next CoD, WoW or P&D.

4. Due to the rigid corporate structure of Japanese companies, it seems (to my eyes) that they handled to transition to next-gen far worse than Western devs. They seem to react to market changes very slowly, and I can't think of any other reason why. They also often seem very out of touch with what their fan-base wants, or what the market in general would respond to. Again, I think that this is a function of having older, out-of-touch people making unchallenged decisions at the top of the chain.

All of that is idle speculation from someone who has never even been to Japan, so it's probably worthless. But that's what it looks like to a complete outsider who used to play Japanese games almost exclusively. There are quite obviously a bunch of difficult problems there, but there shouldn't be despair. If you keep making good games for an audience that actually exists, then you will sell copies. There's still plenty of talent in Japan.

Liamario

Banned
Why are their popular IPs not being developed. What is going on at these studios that has changes since the ps2 era. It really is depressing.
When the previous generation started, all their talent and fantastic game designs seem to vanish. How and why did this happen.

Randam

LnBlFmW.png

capcom was one of my favorites back on the SNES and PS1.

now?
the destroyed one of may favorite franchises. (resident evil)

konami only does MGS and i am not a fan of the direction since mgs4.
didnt like peace walker and am not lookong forward to mgs5.

namco had tekken and ace combat. both are f2p and crap now.
man, i LOVE Ace Combat. the PS2 games are 3 of the best games ever for me.
but they wanted the COD audience and made the POS Assault Horizent..

Square had so many awesome games/franchises.
now the only do final fantasy and it is crap.
played ff 13 for 10 hours and stopped.
didnt care for 13-2 and LR and to be honest, I'm not hyped at all for FF 15.
looks like FF13 mixed with Uncharted..

nintendo is even more kiddy than they were with the SNES..

They suffer because they have stuck with the same old game series for to long. There is no plan b for these companies. Let old series like Megaman and Sonic rest, at least for a while, and create something new, that isn't F2P or social.

Stike

Can I upvote this thread? ;) Lots of truth in here.

However, I fail to understand how Atlus is being hailed as one of the last remaining hopes while the company is actually bankrupt - if I remember correctly, at least. Edit: So I hear they are bought by Sega. I hope they keep pushing creative games.

But yeah, Atlus presented great spirit and inspiration (publishing FromSoftware's 3D Dot Game Heroes, oh my!) and it is really sad to see so many IPs going downhill.

Konami, where are Gradius, Contra? I dare not ask for Silent Hill...

Remarkably, no mention of Sony Japan Studios here so far. They are not putting out a lot, but the quality was pretty great overall. At least that's something, huh?

I really wish the new console gen will help japanese devs get their act together with "dat time to triangle". And looking at Skyrim, no, HD towns are no longer an excuse :p

Prophane33

While Square ruined the awesomeness of Enix, at least my favorite company, Koei, is doing strong with Tecmo. They haven't taken a hit on either quantity or quality of their games.

As a huge Namco nut I haven't exactly liked the way they have been treating their key franchises after the Bandai merger (and don't get me started on all these "premium" and/or "TV" sound editions they've been pushing out lately), Ridge Racer is ruined, but it looks like the new F2P Ace Combat might actually be pretty damn good. I feel like Tekken is only barely hanging on (Tekken 5 was the last one I really enjoyed), but maybe I'm in the minority there. I do wish the Bandai side didn't seem to be making all the decisions these days (e.g. too many licensed games), then again I do tend to buy anything with the word Gundam in the title.

As far as Konami goes...yeah, they've seen better days. These days they are the PES/ Metal Gear/Jikkyou Power Pro Baseball. All three are great franchises, but I would love to see some more diversity. What happened to Enthusia? It was a neat little Gran Turismo contender and I would have loved to see where it went as a franchise.

Capcom has long been dead to me.

Sega has seen better days, but I'm still loyal to them (outside of Sonic games). I'll continue to buy Hatsune Miku stuff and probably picking up Yakuza Restoration soon-ish.

Also, while not a publisher, Artdink needs to get to making some more weirdness. FROM seems to be doing well. and I've never cared for Atlus (outside of some racing games they made back in the 32-bit era).

They suffer because they have stuck with the same old game series for to long. There is no plan b for these companies. Let old series like Megaman and Sonic rest, at least for a while, and create something new, that isn't F2P or social.

Megaman? I think the problem capcom has is how they don't know what to do with all their amazing IP.

Mecha

Can I upvote this thread? ;) Lots of truth in here.

However, I fail to understand how Atlus is being hailed as one of the last remaining hopes while the company is actually bankrupt - if I remember correctly, at least.

But yeah, Atlus presented great spirit and inspiration (3D Dot Game Heroes, oh my!) and it is really sad to see so many IPs going downhill.

Konami, where are Gradius, Contra? I dare not ask for Silent Hill...

Remarkably, no mention of Sony Japan Studios here so far. They are not putting out a lot, but the quality was pretty great overall. At least that's something, huh?

I really wish the new console gen will help japanese devs get their act together with "dat time to triangle". And looking at Skyrim, no, HD towns are no longer an excuse :p

From Software made 3D Dot Game Heroes, not Atlus. Also, it was the company that owned Atlus that went under, Atlus was sold to Sega.

tbm24

I don't share this sentiment whatsoever. I've played many games from all those studios mentioned throughout the years of this newly ended generation, and I've had a good time.

News Bot

Banned
Capcom died with Clover. Things would still be good if Capcom didn't run them out and gave them full creative control. I would guarantee that if a new Okami came out on on home consoles that it would be a hit.

I think you're being too optimistic.

Capcom, Konami and Square-Enix are terrible these days. I give them maybe two years to improve before I write them off completely.

BadWolf

Asura's Wrath, Dragon's Dogma, Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5 (haven't played 6 yet) Devil May Cry 4 (excellent combat) are all great games so Capcom hasn't been all that bad to me this gen.

I also enjoyed FFXIII and XIII-2 (haven't played LR yet) and Birth by Sleep and Crisis Core on PSP were amazing. With FFXV and KHIII in the works, SE is still on my good side.

Konami's was the biggest downfall I think.

Top Bottom