• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Japanese studios I grew up loving are all dead to me now and I'm sad

lmpaler

I'm actually playing 13 right now, got it and the sequel on sale over the holidays, it isn't bad, but I am still only really scratching the surface so I will hold off on an opinion until I complete it.

abadguy

Banned
I agree with you OP. Same thing happened with the anime industry for me. I was a huge fan in the late 80's - 90's. I loved the ultra violent/Cyberpunk style, the many different character designs and visual styles, the gore (that was actually gore and not just plain red paint) and the detail to each frame and character. But the last 10 years there were only a couple of movies that i liked and that was it. The industry became mainstream, the visual quality have dropped significantly, the character design is shitty and almost the same in every single title, they also use too much CGI and now its pretty much dead to me.

Look to based Trigger, my friend. They are pretty much the "Platinum Games" of anime.

Glass Rebel

Publishers come and go. Getting hung up over what could have been is pretty silly when there's other developers like Falcom, Atlus, Platinum and From that have taken the mantle from the big boys. And it's not like Capcom, Konami, Square-Enix or SEGA have stopped making good games altogether.

Look to based Trigger my friend. They are pretty much the "Platinum Games" of anime.

mother of god, they made both little witch academia and kill la kill

with little witch academia 2 coming next year

:bow:

I'm right there with you OP. It really feels like an entire movement/style in a medium has been severely diminished.

Capcom and Konami have been atrocious, but to me, Square Enix just stings the absolute most. The stuff they were putting out on PS1 and even PS2 to an extent was freaking god-tier. Their transformation to what they are today was just tragic.

This is all followed by Sega. As you mentioned Dreamcast was bursting at the seams with creative and just completely inspired games. Now...

Sonic is now claimed by weird nerds with animal fetishes

I can't help but laugh at the absurdity of the situation. But, when you really stop and compare what he's been reduced to today vs. his peak in the Genesis days, it's really, really sad.

With all that said, we are still getting some cool stuff here and there. Tales of games seem to still be going strong, and FFXV looks really promising. XV can single-handedly save FF's (and potentially put RPG's on the map again the way VII did) if it plays its cards right. Not to mention handhelds (well XL mostly) have lots of awesome games. It all feels like drops in a bucket compared to previous generations, but there still are games out there.

Also, I really believe that things like these swing like a pendulum. We're in a downturn right now, which I think causes creative juices to brew until a second renaissance (as a reaction to things being so barren) comes swinging again. I highly doubt things will stay like this forever. In the meantime, stick to 3DS, Vita, and WiiU (and probably PS4 down the line) as I think those will be the havens for the types of games you're missing.

Basically, things will look up again. In the meantime, Atlus and Nintendo will give you a shoulder to cry on.

Riposte

I just want to say I appreciate the posters on GAF who manage not to get tangled into this ridiculous melodramatic narrative people weave around the corporations (and their brand names) they are far too attached to/resentful of. It's all gossip and tabloids; bringing up the same old outrage you can't let go of whenever you get a trivial excuse to. It can engaged endlessly as there is always more news. What could be more exciting to people who care more about videogame forums than videogames? The exceptions are rare, but appreciated. The rest of you are just hurting yourselves and it's pathetic when you consider why.

Just follow the games your enjoy completely ignoring the names on it or behind it and there is a chance these companies may not be so "dead" after all (this is certainly where I'm at, most of my favorite games every year seem to come up Japanese). If not, get over it already. This is suppose to make you sad?

Also jooey's post cracked me up.

Bit-Bit

So with all of these great giants pumping out trash. The big question is why?

Why can't they keep up with western development? What are the japanese developers doing differently?

The only one I see making an active effort to learn from western developers is Kojima.

Silky

Banned
What the hell happened over there? From the NES to the PS2 there were so many amazing things coming from Japan. So many legendary franchises that were strong and relevant but are now in the shitter. It's like none of them understand how to make a solid game anymore or even what to do with the IP's they own. Is it something in the water? I mean why is it so hard to figure out a viable business model that honors the traditions that made these companies a success in the first place?

Here we go.

Capcom is almost dead to me. The only thing on the table that's worth a shit is Street Fighter and Dragons Dogma. Mega Man is dead and fucking buried, rotting away never to return. Breath of Fire 6 is a F2P for iOS that looks like a total POS. Resident Evil is about to get snazzier costumes so they can promote the series via fashion magazines. Does your head hurt yet? Mine fucking does.

So you willingly choose to ignore the new IPs Capcom has brought into the light last gen because of an overexaggeration like Resident Evil, and an inevitability like Mega Man.

I worry about Street Fighter overstaying it's welcome. SFxT was proof that greedy Capcom are still looking for that free-money angle that will get them that endless revenue stream. 5 versions of SFIV is proof that the old tactics will stand until they figure out whatever that new method is. It's ugly and gives the impression they are looking to milk whereever possible. And oh yeah, Devil May Cry did not need a redesign for Dante. That game was a good opportunity for a new IP.

Because constant balancing updates for a fighting game is a horrible idea for consistent periods of time. Ask NetherRealm and their 'balancing for Injustice.' You have the option of buying the updates of SF retail or digital, the latter being a cheaper alternative. I don't understand what's the issue when a lot of people realize that funding a new fighting game for next gen consoles takes a lot of fucking time, money and resources. Not to mention the playerbase appeal that certain games have to maintain over time. Literally every fucking fighting game developer does this same "ugly and disgusting approach. Capcom, SNK, Arc Sys, and NetherRealm are guilty of it.

Konami is almost dead to me. They have Metal Gear. They'll never let Kojima try anything else, ever, so I guess at least those games are still under his vision. But look at scabby nurses aka Silent Hill. They have no idea what too do with that series. Somebody over there had some inspiration for Shattered Memories, but other than that they are clearly wondering what to do with it. The Vita game was a Diablo clone for crying out loud. Where is Contra? Why not bring back some old NES era names like Life Force? Resogun and Geometry Wars are proof that there is room for the shmup in the modern era. And what about Castlevania? The 3d God of War games are good, but there is a lot that can be done in the 2D space and I think they are afraid to do it or even try. Imagine how killer a Vania would look with art that resembled one of the Guilty Gear games instead of rehashing old sprites from 15 years ago? Shit, they could knock it out of the park for a game or two just by overhauling the visuals as they tinker with ideas to evolve the gameplay. I get the feeling we'll see a Vania card game for iOS any day now as it feels like they don't know what to do with it.

Stop supporting Konami.

SquareEnix is almost dead to me. I'm playing FFXIV on PS3 but that's it. I didn't like FFXIII or any of their recent efforts at an RPG. They simply cannot write a story that doesn't get lost up its own ass before the end, it seems. Thinking back on the FF games from the PS1 era that I loved, I have to honestly wonder did they ever know? I'm not 17 anymore, so a lot of that nonsense is less forgivable as I'm smart enough to realize it's not actually over my head, it's just garbage. But I digress. The point is we have not seen a new Tobal, Einhander, Bushido Blade, Brave Fencer, or anything resembling inspiration in years. They even refuse to cater to their desperate fanbase by remaking FFVII, instead slamming their heads against the wall trying to get Lightning to take off while only the most stalwart fans are interested in weathering that storm, but even that is a challenge as Square seems to think bigger tits and costumes are the ticket to success at last. (Honestly I was digging the tits and costumes and am annoyed they downgraded her cup size again. Stick to your guns when you make ballsy moves like that)

The people who made those games are most likely gone from SE, and it's a huge financial gamble to bring something back from years ago. Look at The 3rd Birthday. (granted that game was supposedly ass
I liked it for what it's worth.
)

Sega is dead to me. Virtual Fighter has it's anniversary come and go without so much as a tweet about it, Sonic is now claimed by weird nerds with animal fetishes, and the days of innovative and ground breaking games like Jet Set Radio and Shenmue are long gone. Now the Aliens franchise is one of your four pillars holding up the ceiling. What a sad fucking state of affairs that is for all of us.

...What? What the hell does a fanbase have to do with the quality of the Sonic franchise? does Unleashed, Colors, Generations and to a lesser extent, Lost World not exist now? ASRT? Hell even the Sonic 4 games are a huge step up from '06 levels of shit.
The website for Virtua Fighter's 20th anniversary is still up. Be patient. Shenmue is a fucking expensive game.
SEGA has Relic, Creative Assembly and now ATLUS of all people supporting them. SEGA is fine.
SEGA has a billion in the bank in assets, if I recall. If you seriously think ALIENS of all things is what's keeping SEGA afloat, you're a fucking uninformed fool.

Namco have Tekken. and Soul Calibur, both of which are as stellar as ever. Although it sounds like a half-assed HD port of SCII for $20 is a good example of burning up that good-will very quickly. But what else are you doing, guys? Those two can only go for so long without other games to give them breaks. Dark Souls is huge for you, so that's great, but I can't think of any other games in the pipeline from you.

Tales of, their Jump games, their publishing work of western titles, etc. There's more that Namco's doing.

I get where you're coming from OP, but I don't think you've even looked at what's the future of a lot of JP developers/publishers when they haven't even fucking announced their '14 lineup

Capcom, Konami, Sega, and Square-Enix have all lost the plot, and if it wasn't for Nintendo, I think that Japanese void would pretty much be unfilled right now. Hopefully the popularity of the PS4 will help to bring some of these companies back from mediocrity in the coming years.

Gartooth

I'm worried what has happened is that rather than fighting back on consoles, Japan's gaming industry essentially declared their defeat to the west and are slowly transitioning everything to mobile and F2P games but the biggest franchises. I thought handhelds would at least keep their attention but compared to last gen it is a significant downsize.

I can probably count on one hand the number of games I know are coming to PS4/Xbone from Japan, and by the end of the next generation I think the majority of Japanese 3rd parties will be gone.

I'm worried what has happened is that rather than fighting back on consoles, Japan's gaming industry essentially declared their defeat to the west and are slowly transitioning everything to mobile and F2P games but the biggest franchises. I thought handhelds would at least keep their attention but compared to last gen it is a significant downsize.

I can probably count on one hand the number of games I know are coming to PS4/Xbone from Japan, and by the end of the next generation I think the majority of Japanese 3rd parties will be gone.

Japan isn't concerned with the west. Their transition to mobile isn't cause of "defeat" to the west but ignited by the lifestyle of the Japanese demographic.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Last generation was your grace period to cry tears over the state of Japanese games.

This generation is where you accept it and move on.

I like most of the post, but I feel like you're being unnecessarily harsh on Sega and even Sonic, which has been in an upward trend for over half a decade and gave us the best kart racer in the last 10 years.

Gartooth

Japan isn't concerned with the west. Their transition to mobile isn't cause of "defeat" to the west but ignited by the lifestyle of the Japanese demographic.

Its a sign of both. Mobile is quick easy money with a lot of growth while consoles are a bloodbath with higher costs and risks.

Gartooth

These threads always remind me how much GAF doesn't remember that Nintendo is a Japanese developer...

They're doing superb right now wouldn't you say? Yes their game quality is still up and they aren't going to mobile anytime soon, but bad sales and safe sequels isn't much cause for optimism.

They're doing superb right now wouldn't you say? Yes their game quality is still up and they aren't going to mobile anytime soon, but bad sales and safe sequels isn't much cause for optimism.

It sounded to me like the OP was speaking primarily of game quality though. Really should be the most important factor anyway, wouldn't you say?

RedSwirl

Traditional Japanese console gaming pretty much got assaulted from two sides, and they didn't see either attack coming: 1) Western PC devs who transitioned onto consoles, making more console games specifically targeting the growing North American market. 2) Mobile which is quickly growing everywhere.

Most Japanese developers just don't have the resources for HD-level asset development (most of the goo games from Atlus, From, and even Platinum more or less look like HD PS2 games), so they retreat to handhelds. When you think about it it's probably a better outcome than that of all the smaller western devs who crashed and burned this gen trying to make AAA games.

Everything that's not AAA or really tiny is getting squeezed out, traditional Japanese console gaming included. Only a handful of mid-sized companies these days are staying the course of playing to their audiences and working within realistic sales expectations.

As for guys like Atlus and From, those companies have always been making good games. The difference now I think is since the big Japanese publishers started to fall off, the niche guys (who have chosen to stick with their niches) are getting noticed a bit more.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I like most of the post, but I feel like you're being unnecessarily harsh on Sega and even Sonic, which has been in an upward trend for over half a decade and gave us the best kart racer in the last 10 years.
Agreed about Sonic. He was dead to me in the 2000s, but he's back in form during the 2010s.

It's not as sad to me because I can still enjoy their older output when they were on the top of their game, at least they left me with some good games to enjoy. Sure it sucks that they aren't as good as they once were but at least there was something there to enjoy.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I miss Bomberman, after I got a massive nostalgia hit the other day. The one I played was the XBLA game they did early on in the 360 cycle and even then it didn't totally hit the mark.

Someone definitely needs to revive the Bomberman series, more like the SNES Super Bomberman games (levels, boss fights etc.)

Capcom has mishandled every single IP they own last gen. From 20 versions of super same fighter IV to SFxT to DmC to cancelling MH3 PS3 (and moving the series exclusively to bad hardware) to last but not least, a CELL PHONE numbered Breath of Fire sequel.

Yea Konami and Square are awful but Capcom have so much potential and instead would rather be a dump.

NolbertoS

Thought this is about company that are actually dead like Hudsonsoft and Irem :(

I still want another Adventure Island game someday :'(. Yeah, its a huge paradigm shift in gaming tastes nowadays that has made Japanese developers more stagnant. Its like the older generation (30-40 yr old) gamers that seem to want a new Megman, Castlevania ala old school 1990's style and the old school JRPGs that made Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy the popular franchises that it is now. Its all about FPS in the West now and how the younger demographics gobble up COD, Killzone, Gears of War, Halo, etc. I hope down the road the gaming infustry has anothet paradigm shift for thr better or else it'll get downright depressing.

Gartooth

It sounded to me like the OP was speaking primarily of game quality though. Really should be the most important factor anyway, wouldn't you say?

Yes he was, but he also said Nintendo only makes sequels to popular IP instead of going beyond with dormant or new IP. NSMB games have high quality gameplay but people are flat out sick of them. Personally, I'm happy about Nintendo's current and future output, but poor Wii U sales may change that on some level when games like TW101 bomb, or less popular series like Fire Emblem were on the brink of never coming back.

Glass Rebel

Capcom has mishandled every single IP they own last gen. From 20 versions of super same fighter IV to SFxT to DmC to cancelling MH3 PS3 (and moving the series exclusively to bad hardware) to last but not least, a CELL PHONE numbered Breath of Fire sequel.

Yea Konami and Square are awful but Capcom have so much potential and instead would rather be a dump.

BSs8KH6.gif

this again

I think the demand for 80 hour, expansive RPG games has just gone down the drain with the shift in demographics to people who don't necessarily have that sort of a time commitment for one game. I honestly can only think of Persona 4 as the last fully featured RPG to get critical acclaim. I think the market is gone with the studios.
These games work well on vita where you can just sleep the system and pick up where you left off.

Silky

Banned

LOL how mad can you get

Raide

I care less about the company that makes games and more about the actual games. Game could be developed by Satan himself and as long as its fun, I really don't mind.

Sure it is sad to see all those old-school developers struggling to find their place amidst all the new upstarts and indie developers but if they cannot evolve to make better games, then they deserve to slowly fade into obscurity. Or at least hand their baton over to a new developer so their games might live on.

TyrantII

This is what happens when your business model is EA, but there's no longer fresh blood studios you can acquire for cold cash.

redcrayon

What the hell happened over there? From the NES to the PS2 there were so many amazing things coming from Japan. So many legendary franchises that were strong and relevant but are now in the shitter. It's like none of them understand how to make a solid game anymore or even what to do with the IP's they own. Is it something in the water? I mean why is it so hard to figure out a viable business model that honors the traditions that made these companies a success in the first place?

Capcom is almost dead to me. The only thing on the table that's worth a shit is Street Fighter and Dragons Dogma. Mega Man is dead and fucking buried, rotting away never to return. Breath of Fire 6 is a F2P for iOS that looks like a total POS. Resident Evil is about to get snazzier costumes so they can promote the series via fashion magazines. Does your head hurt yet? Mine fucking does.
I know Capcom have dropped the ball on Mega Man, Devil May Cry etc, but I've really enjoyed Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil: Revelations, Dragons Dogma, Monster Hunter 3G and Phoenix Wright.

I wonder how much money Japanese developers could bring in if they ported their back catalogs to Steam. Sega and Capcom, from what I've heard, bring in good money from PC sales. Dark Souls was a success, and Platinum is looking intothe PC platform as well. Maybe consoles aren't the healthiest place for the majority of Japanese releases anymore.

Raide

I wonder how much money Japanese developers could bring in if they ported their back catalogs to Steam. Sega and Capcom, from what I've heard, bring in good money from PC sales. Dark Souls was a success, and Platinum is looking intothe PC platform as well. Maybe consoles aren't the healthiest place for the majority of Japanese releases anymore.

Most look at the market that is massively expanding in Japan and it ain't PC gaming. Unless Valve release a Steam Phone of course. :D

TyrantII

PS. Namco is only in a partnership for marketing and distribution of Dark Souls as far as I know.

FromSoftware is still a independent studio.

So their biggest thing isn't really theirs.

Konami=Treasure & WayForward
Capcom=Comcept & Platinum
Sega=M2
Nintendo=Nintendo
From Software

I'm sorry but Capcom cannot be replaced by Platinum and Comcept lol. Not even close, sure we can get our DMC and Megaman fix but they still hold some great franchises and have made some too.

Same with Konami but to a lesser extent.

You do know the console versions usually sell the most.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
。・゚・(ノД`)・゚・。 JAPAN IS DOOMED。・゚・(ノД`)・゚・。 thread of the day.

Thank god Western studios pumping out the classics. Can't wait for PS4 to launch in Japan so I can play assassin's creed and call of duty!!! RIP Japan :snakesalute: ;_;7

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sounds about right. Clover was a great injection of creativity and awesomeness for Capcom, but then that died, and now all I have left is Street Fighter.

And Square....hoo boy...

I miss old school Bomberman, too.

redcrayon

I don't think putting the mainline Monster Hunter sequel onto Nintendo systems and having them help to promote it outside of Japan is mishandling a franchise when ten years on Sony consoles saw it sell sod-all outside of Japan. That sounds like a good idea when deciding to go with either the successor to the DS or PSP if your brief is 'grow franchise overseas, it's reached saturation at home'.

Do you think any series that ends up on Nintendo systems is being mishandled due to to hardware specs rather than sales potential?

Dragons Dogma wasn't mishandled, nor was Phoenix Wright. Agree on DmC and Mega Man though, and they really should be careful with the next mainline RE, but it's very easy to just go with hyperbole and call entire huge companies rubbish when really they are often a mixed bag.

At the moment everyone is experimenting with mobile, FTP, DLC etc, it's not hard to see why companies with large head counts and overheads like Capcom and Square are interested in low cost mobile entries for the valuable IP they have, rather than green lighting high-risk AAA sequels.

dtg

Neo Member
Everyone wants the same game in the same franchise but nobody wants the same game in the same franchise. Nintendo seems to be one of the few companies that figured it out from the beginning.

Shufel

Honestly I'll give some props to Sega. They're almost a different company at this point but they've been able to work around the changes in the market and plod forward pretty nicely. Same with Namco as well.

Top Bottom