• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budi

Why do people defending gamergate ALWAYS are super mega game fans that post on a hardcore game board AND YET didn't follow GG closely ?

I mean I know plenty of gamers who have no idea what GG is, one of my friends even mistaken it to be a feminist movement since he had only heard of it in passing. But yeah, if you are posting in Neogaf I'm very surprised if you have no idea what GG is.

Volphied

Why do people defending gamergate ALWAYS are super mega game fans that post on a hardcore game board AND YET didn't follow GG closely ?

It's not uncommon for GGers to feign ignorance. Pretending to be a neutral while "just asking questions" and slowly pushing a pro-GG narrative is an actual tactic discussed and advocated on places like chans and reddit

It's called red pilling and sea lioning.

It's not uncommon for GGers to feign ignorance. Pretending to be a neutral while "just asking questions" and slowly pushing a pro-GG narrative is an actual tactic discussed and advocated on places like chans and reddit

I think he knew the answer.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
His opinion about gamer gate made sense at the begginning because it started as what he said. Maybe 3 years ago, when he tweeted this, it still didn't derailed hard into mass harassing. There was a lot of people in gamergate and it covered many topics. Some were about ethics in gaming journalist and others were harassing people.

In any case, according to the 3 years old tweets the guy of this game only had an opinion about gamer gate, he didn't harass anyone.

He is the one being harassed and boycotted one right now for having had an opinion 3 years ago that wasn't politically correct.

Regarding gamer gate targetting people because of their sex, gender, race or ideological positions, I think the reason should be somethine else, because -at least what I saw on news or social media from time to time, I didn't follow closely gamer gate- the targeted people were always the same few individuals. And there is a lot of people in the industry with this sex, gender, race or ideological position that are more well known that the harassed ones and weren't harassed.

Holy...shit. I'm gonna step away from this conversation before I say something I shouldn't. Your ignorance is mindblowing.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding gamer gate targetting people because of their sex, gender, race or ideological positions, I think the reason should be somethine else, because -at least what I saw on news or social media from time to time, I didn't follow closely gamer gate- the targeted people were always the same few individuals. And there is a lot of people in the industry with this sex, gender, race or ideological position that are more well known that the harassed ones and weren't harassed.

That... doesn't really make much sense.

Also, if you didn't follow GG closely, why do you have such a lengthy opinion on the subject...?

Platy

I know, it was just a joke about how this does not work for a 2007 joined almost 10k NeoGAF poster

ZeoVGM

Banned
The CEO of Marvel is a strong Trump supporter. I don't see people suddenly boycotting marvel movies, or anything else for that matter, because of it.

I don't care what one guy thinks. Unless he is he sole creator of a thing, that thing is beyond him.

He is one of the CEOs. Of a company that is largely very progressive and liberal in terms of comic writers, film writers/directors and actors. And he has literally been pushed out of the movie division because of his views impacting the films in the early days of the MCU.

This game is created by a small number of people, I think someone said six. And we know that two of them -- the producer and the actual writer of the game -- are GameGate-supporting, feminist-hating men who think that Zoe Quinn lied about being harassed.

Shaanyboi

Banned
No, it's an excuse to pirate games.

If you play this game you should support the work of the team (including one of the creators who may have posted things you don't agree some years ago) you should buy it because it isn't F2P. All games are the product of several people working hard during years, so they deserve to be paid for the people who use their product even if we don't like their opinions on something.

If you don't want to support them, simply just don't play the game. I wouldn't care about these tweets, because everyone has their own opinions, if we would agree in everything we would be robots or would live in a dictatorship instead of being free human beings.

Devs and companies typically try to be politically correct to avoid this kind of things so most of them don't share their opinions publicly about different potentially controversial topics like politics, religion, etc. And if they do is to be politically correct or (like Rockstar or Devolver) cool with something acceptable by the majority and still mostly politically correct.

If all devs (like any other person or company) would be open and transparent with their personal opinions, make sure you would disagree with almost everyone, especially if you go to check all their social media posts until many years ago.

His opinion about gamer gate made sense at the begginning because it started as what he said. Maybe 3 years ago, when he tweeted this, it still didn't derailed hard into mass harassing. There was a lot of people in gamergate and it covered many topics. Some were about ethics in gaming journalist and others were harassing people.

In any case, according to the 3 years old tweets the guy of this game only had an opinion about gamer gate, he didn't harass anyone.

He is the one being harassed and boycotted one right now for having had an opinion 3 years ago that wasn't politically correct.

Amazingly, not all opinions hold the same kind of weight. "I don't like cucumber water" doesn't have the same negative impact as an opinion like "I think women that are fighting for equal and fair treatment are actually overzealous, and should be considered a threat that will lead us to a dystopian future hellscape. Here's my pamphlet on the subject."

Part of what makes the entire movement so insidious. Not only are they blatant harassers and misogynists but they also have members who step into discussions to derail or stall them.

If someone is happy to promote this hateful group in their project there is no reasonable argument against refusing to support them financially or any other way.

Anyone who insists you can ignore the core message of the game is posturing and/or being willfully ignorant.

If you play this game you should support the work of the team (including one of the creators who may have posted things you don't agree some years ago) you should buy it because it isn't F2P. All games are the product of several people working hard during years, so they deserve to be paid for the people who use their product even if we don't like their opinions on something.

If you don't want to support them, simply just don't play the game. I wouldn't care about these tweets, because everyone has their own opinions, if we would agree in everything we would be robots or would live in a dictatorship instead of being free human beings.

Devs and companies typically try to be politically correct to avoid this kind of things so most of them don't share their opinions publicly about different potentially controversial topics like politics, religion, etc. And if they do is to be politically correct or (like Rockstar or Devolver) cool with something acceptable by the majority and still mostly politically correct.

If all devs (like any other person or company) would be open and transparent with their personal opinions, make sure you would disagree with almost everyone, especially if you go to check all their social media posts until many years ago.

*yawn* yet another post equating not being a misogynist asshole as political correctness.

Let's make it plain - GGers and their ilk are not people to be respected. They don't hold opinions worth considering. They're assholes, and up until two days ago, this guy was co-signing that hateful bollocks.

This game is created by a small number of people, I think someone said six. And we know that two of them -- the producer and the actual writer of the game -- are GameGate-supporting, feminist-hating men who think that Zoe Quinn lied about being harassed.
To hell with him and his game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You really think that half the people in this thread are willing to swallow horrible alt-right fan-fiction as long as it has nice pixels?

Pretty insulting, IMHO.

You managed to be insulted by a cynical tongue-in-cheek comment that leaves plenty of room for anyone reading it to tell themselves "this doesn't apply to me".

Okay.

(This might be a good thread in which to ask a mod to please remove my tag since it was unjustly and nonsensically given and has great potential to paint me as something I'm not. I like participating in social issues threads and I don't see how my tag can do anything except color people's assumptions about my personal politics in a harmful way.)

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't care if 5 of the 6 devs eat babies. The game looks great. Looking forward to it.

Good that you're standing up for what is important to you.

I mean, if they're using the game to make a point that equal rights for women is evil, who cares right? I mean, not like it impacts you, right?

What a thoughtful guy you are.

"Oh yeah, this game looked great, wonder what's going on in the thread-"

tumblr_nu6qj3fwAD1sm3vxwo1_250.gif

Oh. Haha, sometimes it just doesn't pay to be an asshole. Well, hopefully it doesn't pay, anyway. Sad about the rest of the dev team, if they didn't share his views. Hopefully they can move on to better projects not lead by the likes of him.

Edit: Also, wow at the defense force and the ambivalent folk. I hope what you get is worth it.

Famassu

What if they ate babies and created a game that was specifically pro eating babies and based on that belief that eating babies was right?
Really the better question would be "what if it was your significant other/mother/sister/close female friend/daughter targeted by GGers for simply expressing a simple opinion?", could they still ignore such connections or is it just because it doesn't affect their selfish, ignorant ass self that they can continue supporting morally reprehensible people?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Holy fuck where to start with this post.....
probably with the fact thatgamergate was genuinely never about anything BUT harassing, not being a misogynistic fuck isn't the bar for being "politically correct." But you'd know that if you did something as simple as reading.

Gastone

Ok, i'm just gonna throw this out there, since i can't quite understand what the fuck is going on. Barring the whole GG comments etc...are people actually also pissed off at this guy for giving a scary futuristic scenario where women can "outsource" pregnancy to an artifical uterus so they can enjoy alcohol, drugs etc..like..is that something some people actually think would be great in the fight for equality?

besada

Banned
All the dumb "What's going on in here?" posts are just shit posting. If you want to know what's going on in a thread, read the thread. Part or all, your choice. Then respond to someone in the thread, not your imaginary version of the thread.

The reality is that a bunch of people have differing opinions and reasons for those opinions. Rather than trying to ask or misrepresent the opinion of a mass of people, quote someone and have a discussion with them.

But if you don't have anything to say, do everyone a favor and quit posting.

clearestblue

Neo Member
Ok, i'm just gonna throw this out there, since i can't quite understand what the fuck is going on. Barring the whole GG comments etc...are people actually also pissed off at this guy for giving a scary futuristic scenario where women can "outsource" pregnancy to an artifical uterus so they can enjoy alcohol, drugs etc..like..is that something some people actually think would be great in the fight for equality?

I am genuinely curious, what is scary about outsourcing pregnancy to artificial wombs? This isn't a Handmaid's Tale situation.

I honestly see what's So bad about an artificial womb especially considering how many women die during childbirth.

But the complaints about Sorets views on artificial wombs aren't just limited to that. It's a facet of his toxic views.

I honestly see what's So bad about an artificial womb especially considering how many women die during childbirth.
Yeah, the single fact that you wouldn't have to worry about disease affecting the baby would be incredible. That hits close to home, since the reason I was a preemie was because my mom got sick and we both would have died if they didn't take me out early.

PSqueak

Banned

People don't have a problem with the idea of a future where woman can do this, they have a problem with the fact that the guy described the idea of an artificial womb to ease the life of women as a negative "radical feminism" thing that "decent people" are supposed to be against

Yeah, the single fact that you wouldn't have to worry about disease affecting the baby would be incredible. That hits close to home, since the reason I was a preemie was because my mom got sick and we both would have died if they didn't take me out early.
That too. Doctors would be able to monitor the health of the baby in real time and adjust nutrients as needed. If there are any downsides, I think they will be outweighed by the extraordinary benefits.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I am genuinely curious, what is scary about outsourcing pregnancy to artificial wombs? This isn't a Handmaid's Tale situation.

It's an interesting idea to explore. Like, consider the kinship a mother develops as her child grows inside her; would that be gone? Would the fundamental bond between mother and child that develops during that time lead to some kind of disconnect once the child is born? Does it have the same importance as hugging does for new-borns (think of the Wiremother experiments)? Could that potentially impact communities/societies?

My wife is currently six months pregnant with our second loin-spawn. It'd be interesting to hear what she thinks about that idea :D

clearestblue

Neo Member
It's an interesting idea to explore. Like, consider the kinship a mother develops as her child grows inside her; would that be gone? Would the fundamental bond between mother and child that develops during that time lead to some kind of disconnect once the child is born? Does it have the same importance as hugging does for new-borns (think of the Wiremother experiments)? Could that potentially impact communities/societies?

My wife is currently six months pregnant with our second loin-spawn. It'd be interesting to hear what she thinks about that idea :D

If fathers can develop a bond with their children without physically giving birth to them I think the mothers will be ok. I would like to know if postpartum depression would become obsolete.

If fathers can develop a bond with their children without physically giving birth to them I think the mothers will be ok. I would like to know if postpartum depression would become obsolete.
He'll, some people develop bonds for others that aren't even blood related :0

And don't forget surrogates

Gastone

But the complaints about Sorets views on artificial wombs aren't just limited to that. It's a facet of his toxic views.

From that perspective, i welcome it, no doubt. However, i was, as you can read in my post, refering to the reasoning being so that they can further indulge their vices and not give them up for 9 months.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Sure, but I'd say it's a very different kind of bond. I'm not saying it would or it wouldn't, of course, it's just interesting.

I don't know if it would. It's not just about the kid physically coming out that causes it; at least from my experience of it. Wife had it really bad. Tough to watch.

He'll, some people develop bonds for others that aren't even blood related :0

And don't forget surrogates

That's a good shout.

clearestblue

Neo Member
From that perspective, i welcome it, no doubt. However, i was, as you can read in my post, refering to the reasoning being so that they can further indulge their vices and not give them up for 9 months.

1. Who cares? Men can kick back and drink all they want, why should women be barred from doing so if they're not pregnant?

2. I highly, highly doubt that would be the reason a majority of women would choose to use an artificial womb

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
People don't have a problem with the idea of a future where woman can do this, they have a problem with the fact that the guy described the idea of an artificial womb to ease the life of women as a negative "radical feminism" thing that "decent people" are supposed to be against
*ding ding ding*

And the framing of artificial wombs as solely desired so women can be 'naughty'. It's a bullshit strawman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom