• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 2017 vs 2020 PS4 Pro Early Graphics Comparison

Moses85

This looks so good

giphy.gif

yurinka

How about a 2018/2020 gameplay comparison.
Now only if the animations were the same as in the E3 demo...
Is there any video somewhere with these comparisions or supposed downgrade? There are some gameplay portions in the newest videos that are the same than in the oldest ones, but at first sight they look exactly the same and without looking them carefully I'm not sure if there is any change because they look exactly the same to the point I think they just posted in the new videos the old footage instead of capturing it again from a recent build.

The only thing that may be a supposed downgrade that I found is that in one of those early gameplays was the lighting coming from bonfire drums, that doesn't appear in the recent gameplay because the recent gameplay videos don't show that same exact portion doesn't appear and there aren't bonfire drums. So we really can't compare.

VFXVeteran

Banned
What are the visual cues of dual specular terms? Is it something you can only see when the game is in motion?

Yea. Or the best way to see it is if you was able to split out the render into different passes and see the 2 specular terms in separate images.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Would call it more a tweak... It's not like those changes was expensive or anything.

They are costly but not enough to dramatically affect framerate. Adding a 2nd specular term means another evaluation of the light source. They also added better SSS to the skin on the characters. But I can't see that in the vids.

makaveli60

Is there any video somewhere with these comparisions or supposed downgrade? There are some gameplay portions in the newest videos that are the same than in the oldest ones, but at first sight they look exactly the same and without looking them carefully I'm not sure if there is any change because they look exactly the same to the point I think they just posted in the new videos the old footage instead of capturing it again from a recent build.

The only thing that may be a supposed downgrade that I found is that in one of those early gameplays was the lighting coming from bonfire drums, that doesn't appear in the recent gameplay because the recent gameplay videos don't show that same exact portion doesn't appear and there aren't bonfire drums. So we really can't compare.
I don't think there is such a video, but you don't need that to see that the E3 demo was totally scripted. The animations are still good, or even one of the best but they are nothing like the E3 gameplay. In that "gameplay" video everything was so perfect. Looking back I see that I was a fool for believing that it might be like that in the final game. I was skeptical but at the same time also hopeful since it is Naughty Dog we are talking about. Well, they fucked us over, it seems. This practice shouldn't be legal IMO...

Exodia

Banned

The animations just not as crazy and smooth as Ellie dodging against that car and then perfectly transitioning to using that momentum to stab an enemy. The latest footage is great in its own right but has too much judder in motion which simply isn't present in the demo they showed years ago in comparison.

o1PRvEL.gif

Also clear downgrade of in-game Ellie and enemy AI in terms of model complexity and lighting/shadowing

TLOU2_Screen_PS4Pro_E32018_00009_1528773862.jpg

TLOU2_Screen_PS4Pro_E32018_00005_1528773866.jpg

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
The animations just not as crazy and smooth as Ellie dodging against that car and then perfectly transitioning to using that momentum to stab an enemy. The latest footage is great in its own right but has too much judder in motion which simply isn't present in the demo they showed years ago in comparison.

o1PRvEL.gif
Because we havent seen that played out yet in newer footage, cant discredit something isnt there when You haven't seen it yet, wait for release

93xfan

Banned
Looks better, except for maybe the smoke effects in one pic, but that could just be them being harder to see because of the light.

Either way, great job. I was expecting a small downgrade and it’s the opposite.

webber

Because we havent seen that played out yet in newer footage, cant discredit something isnt there when You haven't seen it yet, wait for release
Agreed.
We haven't seen A LOT of things in the E3 2018 demo that we have seen now with this State of Play.
And I bet there's MUCH MORE to see in final game.
All I know is that this game is looking ridiculous and I honestly was expecting downgrades instead of upgrades.
The difference between that dead clicker from september 2019 media demo and now is really neat.
Best to wait for the day one patched goodness and then play and judge for ourselves.

Keihart

o1PRvEL.gif

Also clear downgrade of in-game Ellie and enemy AI in terms of model complexity and lighting/shadowing

TLOU2_Screen_PS4Pro_E32018_00009_1528773862.jpg

TLOU2_Screen_PS4Pro_E32018_00005_1528773866.jpg
Here in the timestamp, the animations of the new gameplay are compared to the original reveal that you refer too, and it's pretty similar. The car animation might still be in and triggered near walls, it wouldn't be out of the realm of what ND made with TLoU1, there are a lot of contextual animations triggered by near objetcs or specific situations.
For example in TLoU1, if you attempt to hit an enemie that is in a more elevated ground than you, Joel grabs him by the legs instead of punching the knees. Or punching enemies close to walls makes you pin them against it.

Last edited:

yurinka

Here in the timestamp, the animations of the new gameplay are compared to the original reveal that you refer too, and it's pretty similar. The car animation might still be in and triggered near walls, it wouldn't be out of the realm of what ND made with TLoU1, there are a lot of contextual animations triggered by near objetcs or specific situations.
For example in TLoU1, if you attempt to hit an enemie that is in a more elevated ground than you, Joel grabs him by the legs instead of punching the knees. Or punching enemies close to walls makes you pin them against it.

Yes, the difference may be because of context related: stomping with the car, position of the legs when starting the animaiton, moving with the stick into a certain direction after the evade movement, or even the position of the body that has in the previous animation when the evade was activated.

The camera makes a better job in the old video, matching better the animations. But again, it may be related to the context of the environment.

Lighting and shadowing changes can be explained because one it's outdoors and the other one indoors. Animations, animation blur, plus change in focus due to having an object close to the camera and being the camera at a different distance from the characters may explain the supposed complexity change. And well, one can be a better quality screenshot than the other one, both from a better source or because one is from a stopped moment while the other may be in movement.

We'd need to compare more similar scenes.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hate that trailers. Cults are so annoying...
And now we know she is not Ellie mother lol

CrysisFreak

Banned
Classic PlayStation Studios pre-release upgrade.
I just hope that the pacing and gameplay holds up when I play in in a few weeks.

makaveli60

It's nice that many of you are so optimistic, but don't you think it's a bit strange that the E3 gameplay was FULL with such animations and sequences while we haven't seen anything like those since? If you were the developer and accomplished such an insane technical achievement, wouldn't you show it everytime you have the opportunity? At least to silence people like me? You can be sure they are reading forums and comments about it...

Last edited:
Top Bottom