• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 2017 vs 2020 PS4 Pro Early Graphics Comparison

Its not even close. To break it down:
Look at the transitions between----> Ellie_move-right, Ellie_throw, Ellie_sprint, Ellie_Stab
zBGNz3W.gif

However if you watch the demo, you would notice the animations flows so perfectly that it has to be completely and fully scripted. You never find a broken flow. There's no perceivable jump or judder to another animation. Everything flows like its one big cinematic animation.

mjOXx7S.gif

In the older video she was running straight ahead, in the new one she changed direction so it's hardly going to be exactly the same.

• There is clearly a transition when she lands from the jump and then goes into running.
  • At the end there is a transition from crawling to diving.
Notice in the right, she jumps, lands/stumbles and runs simultaneously. It wasn't jump, stop, then run.

Again not saying that the animation in the left isn't good. What people are saying is that its no where near the fluidity of the one in the right.

She landed differently, they aren't even the same animation so it's not really fair to compare them.

Last edited:

Terenty

It's quite sad that you actually find time to go in every PS thread and contribute nothing but drive-bys and garbo post console warrior BS. Reported.
Gestapo works. Please, dont stalk me, its creepy.

You know everybody can see your post history too? If its not the definition of a console warrior fanboy then i dont know what is. Your obsessions with Playstation is not healthy.

REE Machine

Banned
Gestapo works. Please, dont stalk me, its creepy.

You know everybody can see your post history too? If its not the definition of a console warrior fanboy then i dont know what is. Your obsessions with Playstation is not healthy.
Neither is your obsession apparnrly going in to every thread and belittle a product you're not going to get anyways, no one wants your opinion or cares for it

Think about this, when you play a fighting game you want able to punch as soon as you press the button, you don't want to wait see your character going trough all that animation before punching. So developers have to cut animation in order to make it more responsive, the key is to make them look good while being responsive and that when good key poses comes in.

Same thing here, in recent demo in TLOU Part 2 the animation was good enough to sell me the action while responsive enough so it won't make the experience frustrating.
Different types of games, different pace of play etc.

Compare Sonic and Mario sidescrollers. In Mario you press left or right plus the b button and you're instantly at top speed. In Sonic you take time to accelerate - acceleration is slower uphill and faster downhill etc. Two different methods for two different types of games with different end goals.

In a fighter, the gameplay is down to the frame - which is why they're locked rock solid at 60fps so that frame data for moves, inputs etc. is meaningful.
TLOU 2 is not a fighting game - its a narrative driven action/adventure game with some stealth mechanics. It has its fast paced moments, but its fundamentally a relatively slow, methodical experience.
I'm sure they've made the game responsive, but the end goal is immersing yourself in the world, not developing the muscle memory and reactions to consistently nail frame-perfect inputs to beat a competitor.

It takes a next level of special to take two different sets of animations, use them against each other, to call a downgrade. Lets say that is even true, there isnt anything better. People are legit dissecting frames to find the most minimal difference to cry about, its hilarious.

I don't even understand what the endgame is. Obviously there isn't anything clearly downgraded. If there was the slightest of slight tweaks or downgrades to something that made it look somewhat worse (which I don't think happened, it looks better to me) what would that really prove? There isn't a Watch Dogs happening here

Ozrimandias

So looked great on 2017 and now looks even better.

Ubisoft should take note on this

Every game showed on any coference looked like Crap, and on release looked crappier

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Different types of games, different pace of play etc.

Compare Sonic and Mario sidescrollers. In Mario you press left or right plus the b button and you're instantly at top speed. In Sonic you take time to accelerate - acceleration is slower uphill and faster downhill etc. Two different methods for two different types of games with different end goals.

In a fighter, the gameplay is down to the frame - which is why they're locked rock solid at 60fps so that frame data for moves, inputs etc. is meaningful.
TLOU 2 is not a fighting game - its a narrative driven action/adventure game with some stealth mechanics. It has its fast paced moments, but its fundamentally a relatively slow, methodical experience.
I'm sure they've made the game responsive, but the end goal is immersing yourself in the world, not developing the muscle memory and reactions to consistently nail frame-perfect inputs to beat a competitor.
True but TLOU is much more about the combat more than "immersion" compare to something like RDR2. So I still want smoothly control my character during encounters instead getting frustrated with the controls for sake of "immersion". Thankfully I say ND found nice balance between responsive control with great animation.

Top Bottom