• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Forced Dog Killing Trigger Warning

Geki-D

Banned
Kill Dogs = nooooooo
Kill People = ok
Whilst I personally don't care, I assume the reasoning is that whilst people actively make the choice (generally) to attack and want you dead, dogs are, in essence, innocent and only attack because they're trained to. They don't know any better and are being used as weapons without any inherent hate towards you.

I'm not saying this is even true or good reasoning if it's the case but I assume people justify them being ok with the death of people but not of dogs like this. Maybe.

Also dogs tend to look like this:
shutterstock_115329475-760x506.jpg

Portugeezer

I love animals but if I have to kill a dog in a life or death scenario then... I WILL LET IT KILL ME OF COURSE. #veganmasterrace

spawn

If this was the real world we were living in and a pack of feral dogs attack you it's either you or them. I'm picking myself every fucking time.

Well, I admit it, now it's really weird.
Can't feel the whole argument at all, sorry.
I'd understand if it was for the violence itself, some people are more sensitive when realistic blood and violence are depicted in a game, but -you know- you are talking about an horror game, so... I think that these guys already aren't interested.
But because of the digital avatar of what you are shooting at? that's new to me.
I'm really sorry for those who can't enjoy fiction that they like (violence, blood, mass murdering, torture, screams, fear) just because instead of killing a igital model of a human/bear/gragon/zombie/lion/etc is a dog. Maybe there some sort of trauma under the surface, so I think that it would be very hard to overcome.
Just skip the game I guess, but I don't see the need for a story about that. We don't have disclaimer for everything you can kill or destroy in games where you are supposed to kill and destroy things.

Birdo

Banned
So you can kill women, LGBT people, and dogs in this?

I thought Naughty Dog were supposed to be an "SJW" developer :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Can't tell if this is a joke thread.

Same here. I thought it was mocking Era. But some of these replies look genuine :messenger_neutral:

Anyway, the best dog kill in gaming history is in COD 4, when Price shoots a dog and goes "Down boy". Always amused me, I don't know why.

bronk

Banned
My girl literally punched me when I skinned a cute lil skunky in Red Dead Redemption lol. I'll keep her from this as well.....also what the fuck man? I was just playing that sniper game where it slo mos bullets going through skulls 😂 but people are mad about the digital doggos? I'm gonna mow them down like I do anything that moves on screen.

nahcir

Neo Member
So killing other humans, whatever the reasons may be, is perfectly fine but killing dogs/animals is where you drive the line? Okay then.

D

Deleted member 757921

Unconfirmed Member
So people are ok with inhuman violence with digital people in the game but draws a line in the sand for digital mutts?

These are the kinds of marks I’ll target with a dog army if the end of the world came.

Fuck all the digital dogs! I have no sympathy for a mutt that’s going to try and kill my digital uh... Ellie... those mutts are going to get it the same way their masters/owners are going to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant deal with the whimpering. Same happens in RDR 2, if you dont hit the right spot animals squirm and cry on the ground, makes me feel absolutely awful but you can quickly put them out of their misery , hopefully the same here.

DESTROYA

It’s only a video game man!
I know some people love dogs more than people but in real life if I had to choose between being a chew toy and the dog it’s the dog every time.
As stated earlier you don’t have to actually kill them to progress.

Last edited:
Jeeeeeeeeeesus christ. I guess you can't play RE either!

I love my dog but I will shoot the shit out of the ingame dogs if they fuck with me!

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Latest Game Informer podcast talks about how you have to kill dogs (complete with whimpering) and how your dog gets killed.

Not as bad as Wolfenstein 2, but bad enough that I am passing.

Just thought I’d pass the info on to fellow soft hearted dog lovers.

Shit... i hate this kind of things.

Is a mature game, but is really necesary do that?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
If people dont wanna kill dogs that want to kill yah, perhaps you should let the dogs kill you. Just a reminder that those dogs dont exist. The same with humans, which btw is worse killing than dogs.

It's ok to kill people tho.

Yeah, here we go again.

Keihart

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

In any case, i think violence might be a problem for some people in this game, they seem to be doubling down on how to make the violence feel impactful. Human enemies will have individual identities kinda like in MGS games, but they will also call each other by their names while fighting them so you won't kill just bald guy numer 24, it would be Pedro and his friend Pablo is going to be very upset because now Patricia is very sad about it too, and we all now that Pedro and Patricia were super close but Pablo always loved Patricia too...i think you get the gist of it, they will yell and say all of this out loud so you as a player feel bad. I think it's very cool, but i also have the feeling that lot of people won't be too thrilled about it.
Source: "Its Bob!" "What is it?" "Someone took him out!"

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
Imagine if you had to kill angry lesbians & transgenders attacking you with knives. Then the devs would experience just how "it's a game" wouldn't cut it. Kotaku & co would burn down their studio.

I dont know how old are you but you seem way too young to understand the difference by yourself and im too tired to explain

Last edited:

Filben

I kill everything necessary, that being said, everything trying to kill me. Don't care what species, plant, animal or object.

Last edited:

TUROK

I'm gonna laugh at your ass if you have no problem blowing a dude's face open with a shotgun but can't handle killing one damn dog in a video game.

Top Bottom