• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Forced Dog Killing Trigger Warning

Kind of a dumb premise for a thread (but op is just stating his opinion not saying it shouldn't be in the game) but some really dumbass nuclear hot takes in here.

Prepare for the downfall in society because one GAF poster doesn't want to shoot videogame dogs.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Watching the Easy Allies preview and yeah, im killing all those fucking mutts. LMAO. Won't post anything because for those who don't want to know anything, it could be seen as a spoiler so I'll just leave it at that.

What I will say however is after watching Inside the TLOUP2 demo with Naughty Dog, yeah, game of the generation coming in five months!!! So fucking hyped!!!

Latest Game Informer podcast talks about how you have to kill dogs (complete with whimpering) and how your dog gets killed.

Not as bad as Wolfenstein 2, but bad enough that I am passing.

Just thought I’d pass the info on to fellow soft hearted dog lovers.
1 - I don't agree with you, when you are fighting for your life against any animal lethal force can be necessary - that includes attack dogs.

2 - Your source for "gaming journalism" is misleading you, look at the easy allies preview video - They mention that Neil Drukmann mentioned to the previewers present at the event that the dogs killing was all optional (at least in the portion they played).
Kill Dogs = nooooooo
Kill People = ok
Unfortunately this is the world we live in, people have their values latter completely reversed, they clearly don't have enough contact with real nature... animals are certainly not harmless, and guard dogs that attack you aren't gentle animals, this is false ethics.

Texas Pride

Banned
I've had to kill wild animals and domesticated animals gone feral in my life. It's not a nice thing to do but sometimes it needs doing. I question the legitimacy of this distressing someone to the point they would avoid a game over it.

Also dogs tend to look like this:
shutterstock_115329475-760x506.jpg

The ones you meet in the game are more like this (and there are many dogs train to attack people).
Guard-dog.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
1 - I don't agree with you, when you are fighting for your life against any animal lethal force can be necessary - that includes attack dogs.

2 - Your source for "gaming journalism" is misleading you, look at the easy allies preview video - They mention that Neil Drukmann mentioned to the previewers present at the event that the dogs killing was all optional (at least in the portion they played).

Unfortunately this is the world we live in, people have their values latter completely reversed, they clearly don't have enough contact with real nature... animals are certainly not harmless, and guard dogs that attack you aren't gentle animals, this is false ethics.

to this i escape of the dogs in gaming... when i have to attack i only use the fist or no lethal weapons.

I never kill animals in any game.

BigBooper

Kind of a dumb premise for a thread (but op is just stating his opinion not saying it shouldn't be in the game) but some really dumbass nuclear hot takes in here.

Prepare for the downfall in society because one GAF poster doesn't want to shoot videogame dogs.
Nah, I like the topic. It's goofy, but nothing wrong with it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I needed a trigger warning for seeing trigger warning unironically posted on Gaf. Things are... strange today.

Otherwise, I appreciate the heads up from the OP, and understand his stance. Doesn’t bother me, though. Feral household animals would be a reality of life, if civilization weren’t in such a great place right now.

GreyHorace

It's a fucking game. You don't have to play it if killing dogs bothers you so much.

When I play games I absolutely hate the presence of dogs as enemies. In the original Splinter Cell they'd sniff me out even when I was hidden in the shadows. The Witcher 3's wild dogs were also annoying. And in Red Dead we don't have dogs but wolves who attack in packs. Do I feel remorse when I kill them? Hell no. It's a game and not reality.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

As a dog owner and a lover of dogs, you are a snowflake OP and what's wrong in this world. People being easily offended like that is starting to get old, get over it!
Are you a video game journalist by any chance? Because you sure as shit sound like one!

Edit: Every time I started a game in the Azhir Cave map of the Modern Warfare beta, I made it a ritual to kill all those chickens first! Haha

Last edited:

avalonzero

Latest Game Informer podcast talks about how you have to kill dogs (complete with whimpering) and how your dog gets killed.

Not as bad as Wolfenstein 2, but bad enough that I am passing.

Just thought I’d pass the info on to fellow soft hearted dog lovers.

Not real dogs, man.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck that i am out.
Not the doggo's !!! 😥🤢🤮😓😰😱😭😭😭
How could you harm a floof?
A puff of luf 😭

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It's a game that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where most of civil society has collapsed and human depravity is rampant.
Is what necessary?
And the guilt of the dog is....? The dog is survive to the World too. Poor doggy he dont understand the world😭😢🤧

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
...Its a fucking animal. An animal that is going to murder you in the face. In Wolfenstein II, the dog was your pet. You raised him and it was supposed to feel terrible killing him. That was the ENTIRE POINT of that scene.

Here, it is just a generic enemy just like all the humans and cordyceps you fight. But you put more emotion in the killing of the dog than a person? That's fucked, mate.

Coflash

How are you forced to kill the dog?

Don't kill it and see what happens. Perhaps that's where you can end your game, by seeing your face being ripped from your skull by the nice doggy.

When it comes to these sort of threads I don't think people have an issue with others not wanting to see violence committed on animals, it's the way it's framed. 'Trigger warning' - really? I bet if the thread was simply titled "Fighting dogs is apart of TLOU II's story" there'd be far less of a negative response.

Last edited:
...Its a fucking animal. An animal that is going to murder you in the face. In Wolfenstein II, the dog was your pet. You raised him and it was supposed to feel terrible killing him. That was the ENTIRE POINT of that scene.

Here, it is just a generic enemy just like all the humans and cordyceps you fight. But you put more emotion in the killing of the dog than a person? That's fucked, mate.
Aren't you a German? Your nickname sounds like a black sorcerer's name that you'd find in the black forests of Bavaria.

taizuke

I heard Michael Hueber from Easy Allies mention in their preview that Neil Druckman said you can get past that whole area without killing anything.

Now, we don't know for the rest of the game but I get the impression that it'll be optional. Granted, you'd have to be really good not to alert enemies or play on easier difficulties.

This thread triggered me alright. Triggered Vietnam style flashbacks of a girl I used to date that refused to kill dogs in Skyrim. Because they were dogs. Get a grip OP.

Kazza

So, in which other games do you kill dogs? I can only remember Revenge of Shinobi at the moment (although they just exploded, so I suppose you could tell yourself that they were just some kind of robotic dogs):

giphy.gif

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So, in which other games do you kill dogs? I can only remember Revenge of Shinobi at the moment (although they just exploded, so I suppose you could tell yourself that they were just some kind of robotic dogs):

giphy.gif
Fallout. All of em.
Darksouls/Coomborne

sertopico

Just imagine how triggered people would have been if she had a lesbian relationship with a female dog and had to kill it.

Kazza

Fallout. All of em.
Darksouls/Coomborne

Do you really feel it when you kill them? As games get more advanced, I wonder if we will come to a point where even killing NPCs becomes a little too realistic for comfort. It's hard to imagine anyone getting really upset about killing a dog in a 16-bit game, but I could understand it being upsetting for some people in TLOU2. Ween't some IGN people upset about the new Call of Duty? Maybe next gen could be a turning point in that regard.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Do you really feel it when you kill them? As games get more advanced, I wonder if we will come to a point where even killing NPCs becomes a little too realistic for comfort. It's hard to imagine anyone getting really upset about killing a dog in a 16-bit game, but I could understand it being upsetting for some people in TLOU2. Ween't some IGN people upset about the new Call of Duty? Maybe next gen could be a turning point in that regard.
No I don't feel anything as they aren't real. Real death is nothing like videogames. You can sense it and smell it.

You guys do know this isn't Enders Game, right? You aren't being fooled into killing actual dogs.

That being said, I'll happily admit that I don't like dogs and go out of my way to kill them in games, so kind of the opposite approach to OP.

Top Bottom