• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Part 2 has sold over 10 million units earlier this year according to Neil Druckmann | Factions 2 is now a standalone multiplayer game

Aure

Banned
So your ONLY problem and the point of pride that you aren't part of the 10 million, as you say, is that it wasn't your money specifically used to make this game a success? There's no other reason?
Don't care about the game, i'm just glad i dodged a bullet and saved myself time, money and the disappointment.
It can sell 20 BILLIONS copies for all i care, good for them, honestly.
To each their own, i guess.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
If you can tell why it is in character for Tommy and Joel to give out their names so easily or let them selves get surround by armed strangers when they're apocalypse veterans then I'd be interested in reading it.
Simple, Tommy is more trusting of others and has shown that in the past and also wanting to help others. Hes the same guy at the beginning of the first game where there is an outbreak and he wanted Joel to pick up people alongsidd the road not knowing what was going on, whose infected, what the infection was or anything. Also brought to light, where did you think Tommy got all those people that could work on the dam and try to give people a normal life? You think they came out of thin air? Basic recruiting and trustig people with skills to try to live a normal life again during the worst of times. Also if they were "always" on guard, would Tommy have found a wife as well, Tommy lived a life of luxury but also of faith in trying to still find the good in people, with Abby, he thought wrong. Joel didnt givr up names, Tommy did, and also Abby gave up her name first not an alias or anything. So in this world and part 2 it seems there was/is a level of trust when dealing with strangers who are in need of aide and confide in each other.

Also they weren't "sureounded" originally, everyone was chill in that room until the names came to light. Everyone was acting pretty friendly towards each other before everything went left and hostile. They shared information on each other, who they were, where they were going, hell even Mel gave her name before everything went left. If Joel and Tommy werent Joel and Tommy it seems there wouldnt have been an altercation in the first place.

Last edited:

Neff

We can only hope they wouldn't even try to placate people with these kinds of opinions, honestly. Why compromise on their vision at this point?

Pretty sure ND have the artistic clout at this point to be able to do whatever they like on Sony's dollar. Sure, they could have boosted sales of part II by rehashing the first game and making Joel and Ellie into another Clank & Daxter mascot duo, but instead they took fearless strides into the unknown by telling a daring story they wanted to tell.

If there is a third it should continue in that vein, if anything.

I've no doubt it will.

Tommy is more trusting of others and has shown that in the past and also wanting to help others.

Great post and it's also worth considering that Joel has adopted Tommy's charitable attitude by the time of part 2, because Joel going his own way has only ever resulted in bad things happening to him and others around him, while Tommy has always reaped the benefits of trust until it backfires on him.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
If there's a part 3 lots of us will be attached to Abby from the start.

The series was never about just 2 people. Even the first game we didn't even know Ellie for the first few hours and when we did I found her annoying until about the spring chapter where you meet Tommy again. Then I started to like her.

I cared for more about Tess for example for the first half.
I fully expect Part 3 to be about Abby and Ellie coming together for some reason or another. By the end people who still don't like her will love Abby just as much. I really think the end of Part 3 will see Ellie die and it will tear Abby apart. I'm betting the plot will loosely be that Ellie is dying and needs to get somewhere so they can operate on her and finally try for that cure. Things will come full circle. Abby will play the role of Joel. Having come to care for Ellie and having to be the one to pass her off so she can die and how much it hurts her to know that she's basically helping Ellie find her own grave. But also some solace knowing that her father's wishes were finally fulfilled. And in the end it works out and a cure is made. Kind of bittersweet for her.

Ulysses 31

Simple, Tommy is more trusting of others and has shown that in the past and also wanting to help others. Hes the same guy at the beginning of the first game where there is an outbreak and he wanted Joel to pick up people alongsidd the road not knowing what was going on, whose infected, what the infection was or anything.
Which seems at odds when you're a patrol guard in an apocalyptic setting guarding a town and keep logs of bandits and infected you've dealt with. Also why wouldn't it cross Tommy's mind people might be after Joel after hearing his story at beginning of the game?

Tommy can't be the same guy as in the beginning of part 1, he and Joel joined hunters and killed innocent people to rob till he eventually got sick of it. Such life experiences should change anyone. He's not that thug anymore but he also knows how rotten people can be in this world.

Sure I can see them be friendly towards strangers after it's clear they mean no harm or aren't a threat. But they didn't know what that armed group was there for so acting cautious around them would seem the natural thing to do at first.
Joel didnt givr up names, Tommy did, and also Abby gave up her name first not an alias or anything. So in this world and part 2 it seems there was/is a level of trust when dealing with strangers who are in need of aide and confide in each other.
Joel shouts Tommy's name several times in the room with the cable cars where you fight off the horde with Abby.
Also they weren't "sureounded" originally, everyone was chill in that room until the names came to light. Everyone was acting pretty friendly towards each other before everything went left and hostile. They shared information on each other, who they were, where they were going, hell even Mel gave her name before everything went left.
Tommy stays on the side but Joel places himself almost in the centre where he's partially surrounded.

Tommy and Joel surviving that long(and as former hunters) should know how kindness can be fatal in this world and that some level trust has to be earned first. (Giving out information you can't verify doesn't make you trustworthy.)
If Joel and Tommy werent Joel and Tommy it seems there wouldnt have been an altercation in the first place.
You can still keep all the events that lead the brothers to Abby's group(as contrived as that it) but from there changes can be made to make the brothers not make these mistakes and still progress the story as it did in the game. In post #516 I write about it.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Great post and it's also worth considering that Joel has adopted Tommy's charitable attitude by the time of part 2, because Joel going his own way has only ever resulted in bad things happening to him and others around him, while Tommy has always reaped the benefits of trust until it backfires on him.

Agreed. It was Tommy trying to even convince Joel to trust that town and community in the first place.

I love that by the end of part 2, Tommy has now become the Abby in terms of "I have a lead" and its clear those parallels of Tommy and Ellie and Abby and Owen are done on purpose.

Kerotan

I fully expect Part 3 to be about Abby and Ellie coming together for some reason or another. By the end people who still don't like her will love Abby just as much. I really think the end of Part 3 will see Ellie die and it will tear Abby apart. I'm betting the plot will loosely be that Ellie is dying and needs to get somewhere so they can operate on her and finally try for that cure. Things will come full circle. Abby will play the role of Joel. Having come to care for Ellie and having to be the one to pass her off so she can die and how much it hurts her to know that she's basically helping Ellie find her own grave. But also some solace knowing that her father's wishes were finally fulfilled. And in the end it works out and a cure is made. Kind of bittersweet for her.
Lot's of scissoring ahead so!

A.Romero

Not surprising, it's a good game. Even with it's flaws.

Personally I prefer to be surprised than just have the same formula with better tech (I love tech, though).

No plot is perfect when talking about fantasy and some stuff needs to happen to advance the story. Did Joel and Tommy do something out of character? Yes. Does it impact the overall story they are telling? Not at all. The message I got is the futility of revenge and how facts can be interpreted from different perspectives. The only thing I didn't like was the pacing. Everything else regarding the story was above average in the medium and even comparable to TV shows.

Not for everyone but luckily more games are being done now than ever. There is something for everybody. Personally I don't like a lot of stuff that seems to be popular but I'm ok it exists and does well.

Yoda

Probably would've sold better if it played it safe w/its narrative as that's what the first one was best known for. Somewhat skeptical of the MP being a separate game. I have a bad feeling it'll allow them to add micro-transactions without getting the stain of adding those to the "main" games.

Probably would've sold better if it played it safe w/its narrative as that's what the first one was best known for. Somewhat skeptical of the MP being a separate game. I have a bad feeling it'll allow them to add micro-transactions without getting the stain of adding those to the "main" games.
“Subverting expectations”. When does that work out for the better?

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Maybe after a PC release but we’re closing in on 2 years now - its sales are basically done.
You realise tlou had multiple versions of the same game as well as horizon zero dawn, spiderman etc. Tloup2 hasnt even gotten a game of the year version yet. Wait until it releases a newer version and see lifetime sales and we can see from there

You realise tlou had multiple versions of the same game as well as horizon zero dawn, spiderman etc. Tloup2 hasnt even gotten a game of the year version yet. Wait until it releases a newer version and see lifetime sales and we can see from there
How many versions of HZD and Spider-Man were released on PS4? As if a GotY edition will make any significant difference.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

How many versions of HZD and Spider-Man were released on PS4? As if a GotY edition will make any significant difference.
Horizon had 2 and spiderman had 2 and we will never know however they had 2 different version for the game and also had supporting bundles as well. Tloup2 has yet to have an official bundle, hell even god of war had a bundle and also a limited console edition

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sony, MS, and Nintendo count bundle sales as copies sold, so we're going to see an increase if The Last of Us Part II remastered is released for PS5 and PC.

Chiggs

Certainly not a failure, but that number just isn’t very impressive.

Huge LOL at the defense posturing on the first few pages, too.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
In that case, HZD sold 20M across PS4 and PC. Also, it’s not TLoU 2 remastered, it’s a remake.
I said IF The Last of Us Part II remastered IS released for PC/PS5. I'm not talking about TLOU Remake.

Yes, HZD sold 20m across PC and PS4 and it was also bundled.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's probably a contributing reason to why the part 1 remake exists. To help recoup some extra money from the cost of the engine updates etc. Get a quick very decent update to last of us part one out and it will probs sell 10 million copies in its lifetime, no need to re animate, re shoot actors and dialogue. Everything is already there just put it into last of us 2s engines and re use a lot of assets then tweak and boom, sell it at 70 dollars.

Wise business move, plus it advertises the TV show and more etc.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Best game of all time. We need a directors cut eventually. It will be the only game ever I beat three times.

Top Bottom