• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2: the model who plays Abby still receives death threats, after years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
People need to chill. She was just hired to do a job.

Also Cuckmann needs to take full responsibility for this. He knew what he was doing. He wanted a reaction he got plenty and this poor actress got in the crossfire.

🏃‍♀️💨

Animated GIF

I never played the first game, but from what I learned about Joel in Part II, all I can say is the old cliché - live by the sword, die by the sword. Abby had good reason to go after him.

Storywise, there are a ton of holes and inconsistencies. Can't believe anyone would take it so seriously. Gameplay is really fun and satisfying, though.

How fucking sad do you have to be to cry over a shitty video game.

"Gamers" are deplorable.

Toxic, unreasonable, people exist within all hobby/ interests communities. Movies, sports, politics... etc.... you'll see nutjobs posting death threats and hurling expletive-laced insanity in all corners of Twatter, and in the real world too. Hell, I even read in the news the other day that a theatre playwright smeared dog shit in the face of a critic that gave his play a poor review.

Humanity can be deplorable.

Kokoloko85

What a bunch of idiots
Whether you like It or not, she done a better job than 90% of video game voice acting

Last edited:

Puscifer

People need to chill. She was just hired to do a job.

Also Cuckmann needs to take full responsibility for this. He knew what he was doing. He wanted a reaction he got plenty and this poor actress got in the crossfire.

🏃‍♀️💨
not even an actress, just someone working at naughty dog whose face they scanned.

Spaceman292

Banned
*Whoever* gets death threats because of *who cares* and we're going to give them attention for five minutes.

Anyone else tired of these types of new stories? What's the point of them?

Esca

Really need more consequences for these people that just threaten others lives and attack them. Somethings you just need to draw a line on

Flutta

Banned
This is like blaming actor/actresses for being stalked because they were in an award winning movie.

You don't blame Neil for these people being mentally ill.

Sorry but your example is lame in this regard. Neil was not the Actor, he’s the guy hiding behind the camera telling the actor/actress what to say/do.

Bascially you can see it like this, Neil is the dude in school that instigated a fight and hid behind a curtain watching the fight break out 🤣

Like i said he knew what he was doing and he also knew the risks that his game would hit some serious nerves like this idiot the thread is about.

Someo people start wars with an uttering of a word and those people never even engage themselves in these wars. With your logic they’re not to blame because they didn’t join the fights.

Last edited:

Calverz

absolutely. not only that, if you played the game you 100% can understand why she did what she did.

love the fact you can understand why Joel did what he did, understand why Abby did what she did, and why Ellie is doing what shes doing. there is no clear-cut good/bad right/wrong.
Exactly. They are all assholes. Everyone is. Only assholes survive in that kind of future. Good people would die or need to become assholes to survive and not be taken advantage of.

Marvel14

Banned
Imagine thinking this is anything other, anything deeper, more engrossing than what it really is - mental health issues.

Nah... it's the whole subset of people which identify with gaming. /s

This, or a deeply troubled individual, or both.

I agree that blaming "gamers" is nonsensical. But aside from that what you're proposing in no way contradicts what others are saying. All you're doing is providing another layer of potential (and incomplete) explanation.

But make no mistake: men threatening women with violence online is a thing...not just some rogue, lonesome, solo mentally disturbed individual with a few screws loose. You'd know that if you were paying attention.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sorry but your example is lame in this regard. Neil was not the Actor, he’s the guy hiding behind the camera telling the actor/actress what to say/do.

Bascially you can see it like this, Neil is the dude in school that instigated a fight and hid behind a curtain watching the fight break out 🤣

Like i said he knew what he was doing and he also knew the risks that his game would hit some serious nerves like this idiot the thread is about.

Someo people start wars with an uttering of a word and those people never even engage themselves in these wars. With your logic they’re not to blame because they didn’t join the fights.
You missed the point because I wasn't placing Neil as the actor.

I was CLEARLY placing Neil as the producer/writer/director of a movie and Jocelyn Mettler as the actor.

Actors always get cast as villains in movies and they often receive death threats. What you're doing is blaming the writer/producer of the story instead of the people who clearly have mental health problems.

Based on your logic, the writers are to blame for these death threats.

Knowing that you always show up with your cuckman comments, you're just looking for a reason to complain for absolutely no reason.

Aenima

Unfortunately, this is more common than some ppl think. Some ppl just dont have more than 2 working neurons so they dont know the difference between an actor/ voice actor, and the character they portraying.

One of my old friends and neighbor, did a role on a teen telenovela here as a villain for 1 season. Dude got his fare share of hate mail cuz alot ppl (kids) thought thats how he was in real life.

I hate Abby, the character as much as some ppl do. But huge respect and admiration for the actress that made a stellar job in making me feel some kind of emotion towards the character.

Last edited:

digdug2

These people are demented.

They actually think the actress killed Joel lol.
Imagine not being able to discern a fictional character from a real person. I find these threats to be really scary because it's fairly obvious to me that these people are well on their way to being unhinged.

I agree that blaming "gamers" is nonsensical. But aside from that what you're proposing in no way contradicts what others are saying. All you're doing is providing another layer of potential (and incomplete) explanation.

But make no mistake: men threatening women with violence online is a thing...not just some rogue, lonesome, solo mentally disturbed individual with a few screws loose. You'd know that if you were paying attention.

Lol

You accuse the other poster of providing an incomplete explanation, then jump to the absurd conclusion that a) this insensate delirious person is a male, and b) that their nonsensical maniacal tirade is motivated by gender.

This has nothing to do with men vs women and everything to do with fucking loons online being fucking loons. I'm not sure why you thought this had anything to do with gender.... WTF?!?

Last edited:

Js562

Over an actor and video game. That boy need to get his ass whooped. He on some weirdo shit lol
Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

Last edited:
I'm calling BULLSHIT on this and I'm calling bullshit on any developer or voice actor who has ever seriously claimed they receive death threats. Something we've seen throughout the years that's always a "go to" way of smearing gamers from weak she types.

Sure, there might be an extremely small amount of online harassment that has happened throughout the years but no more "harassment" that any public figure might get from unhinged or extremely immature individuals.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Bro, 99% of people getting dumbass comments and messages ignore them. Block the user if needed. And if it's actually a serious stalker/doxxer case, you go to the police.

Only 1% of people promote the messages for everyone to see which makes it worse. The only reason to do so if they are a media whore looking for attention.... oh wait. It's video game people. No wonder.

Marvel14

Banned
Lol

You accuse the other poster of providing an incomplete explanation, then jump to the absurd conclusion that a) this insensate delirious person is a male, and b) that their nonsensical maniacal tirade is motivated by gender.

This has nothing to do with men vs women and everything to do with fucking loons online being fucking loons. I'm not sure why you thought this had anything to do with gender.... WTF?!?
Time to put up inbetween your LoLs (this subject is a fuckin riot isn't it? /s)

Post an example of a man getting online abuse that threatens physical or sexual harm for the simple act of being a face model for some form of media years after the media is published.

Also post evidence that men receive sexual and physical threats online relating to the fact that they are men at the same rate as women.

I'll wait.

Last edited:

RafterXL

Dunno why people blame this shit on "gamers". Every single fandom in existence has these kinds of mentally unhinged people and the internet just enables them. It's not gamers, it's just people in general.

A.Romero

Only an idiot gets upset over a video game. However, only a special kind of idiot gets upset because the story didn't go how they wanted... I mean, we are paying to be surprised and to play novel and interesting stuff. Sometimes it won't fit your taste.

I hope that person gets professional help, it's clearly a mental illness.

Woggleman

Dunno why people blame this shit on "gamers". Every single fandom in existence has these kinds of mentally unhinged people and the internet just enables them. It's not gamers, it's just people in general.
I hate to say this but it is the worst in sports and things considered to be nerdy hobbies. I saw on the news people in Philly rioting because the Eagles lost. Get a life.

I've never played any of the TLOU games and I wasn't around when all the drama was happening.
Having caught up on all of it years later and seeing some of the hilarious reactions and meltdowns (excluding the ones accompanying harassment/death threats, of course), I'm kind of an ironic Abby fan now.

I hate to say this but it is the worst in sports and things considered to be nerdy hobbies. I saw on the news people in Philly rioting because the Eagles lost. Get a life.

Or a sort of combination of the two: pro wrestling. Good GOD some of the cringe.

Time to put up inbetween your LoLs (this subject is a fuckin riot isn't it? /s)

Post an example of a man getting online abuse that threatens physical or sexual harm for the simple act of being a face model for some form of media years after the media is published.

Also post evidence that men receive sexual and physical threats online relating to the fact that they are men at the same rate as women.

I'll wait.

Nice try... but that's not how this works.

You made the absurd claim this had anything to do with gender, therefore it is on you to post proof that this internet loon was motivated by anything other than their hate for TLOUII.

Frankly, you're being hilariously obtuse. Not only are you doubling down on your absurd claims, but you also can't see the utter failure of incoherent logic that is asking me to post shit about men being threatened with violence online, when even if I did it would have absolutely fuck all to do with this individual person's motivations.

You do realize that correlation does not equal causality?! Just because some women are threatened with violence online due to misogyny, it doesn't somehow mean that every possible case of a woman being threatened online is also because of misogyny. That's the kind of backward, woke-ass thinking I expect from a shithole like Era. Not here.

This person was threatened because they played a character in a game that killed another beloved character. That Joseyn happens to be a woman is utterly besides the point, and you trying to force gender and violence against women into a conversation about internet goons, is utterly fucking laughable.

Marvel14

Banned
Nice try... but that's not how this works.

You made the absurd claim this had anything to do with gender, therefore it is on you to post proof that this internet loon was motivated by anything other than their hate for TLOUII.

Frankly, you're being hilariously obtuse. Not only are you doubling down on your absurd claims, but you also can't see the utter failure of incoherent logic that is asking me to post shit about men being threatened with violence online, when even if I did it would have absolutely fuck all to do with this individual person's motivations.

You do realize that correlation does not equal causality?! Just because some women are threatened with violence online due to misogyny, it doesn't somehow mean that every possible case of a woman being threatened online is also because of misogyny. That's the kind of backward, woke-ass thinking I expect from a shithole like Era. Not here.

This person was threatened because they played a character in a game that killed another beloved character. That Joseyn happens to be a woman is utterly besides the point, and you trying to force gender and violence against women into a conversation about internet goons, is utterly fucking laughable.

I concede that we don't know whether the individual hurling abuse is male or female- that's a point well made. But the behaviour is consistent with gender based abusive harassment: in the direct insults used, in the wishing her children dead, in the threatening to kill her and the pesky fact that the recipient is clearly female so there is a good basis for inferring it's a male doing the harrassment ...but you're right it's only an inference based on likelihood, its not a fact.

Now you've declared this particular instance has nothing to do with gender. But that must mean that this harassment is also visited on men in the same way, in the same frequency and for comparable reasons.- if its genderless it should happen to both sexes more or less the same. So yeah you do have to prove that as a fact if you're going to claim gender has nothing to do with it in this one instance. Sorry.

The problem i think is that you're confusing not knowing the abuser 's gender for sure with whether the abuse received is targeted specifically at a woman in a way that a man is unlikely to receive. Talk about illogical fallacies.

And I still don't see where the humour lies in all of this...but hey that tells its own story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom