• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2: the model who plays Abby still receives death threats, after years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Considering how much of an issue it is here still closing on 3 years now, only a troll and/or an idiot thinks she is not getting any abuse.

Drew1440

This isn't just limited to gamers, there have been plenty of times where actors who have played certain roles receive abuse soley due to the character they have played.
Don't get me started on Lady Gaga and Justin Biebers fans from 2012 also sending death threats.

zcaa0g

Banned
The only fuck up was Naughty Dog. Well that and the dumb assses making threats. Instead of making a well built female body model for a female, they decided to make a well built male body model for a female. It just looked stupid and out of place.

Teletraan1

Banned
Nobody should have to put up with death threats but a lot of the animosity with this game was brought on by ND. Their response to the leak and the blowback afterwards was to hit a lot of people talking about this game with false copyright strikes on Social Media and especially Youtube. This made it personal for some people as it was an attack on their livelihoods and ratcheted up the animosity. It became less about the game and more about "fuck ND" It exposed the people working for them to unnecessary backlash. The trickle down effect off all of this is mentally unstable idiots riding the hate train that would have blown over in a few days like any other story had ND not acted like a bitch company when the leak happened.

Now you've declared this particular instance has nothing to do with gender. But that must mean that this harassment is also visited on men in the same way, in the same frequency and for comparable reasons.- if its genderless it should happen to both sexes more or less the same. So yeah you do have to prove that as a fact if you're going to claim gender has nothing to do with it in this one instance. Sorry.

No it doesn't.

You talk about logical fallacies and fail to see this blinding stinker of a non sequitur.

This instance has nothing to do with gender because the exact fucking issue this nutter in question is taking issue with is that the character Joselyn played, i.e. Abby, killed another beloved character, Joel.

That Abby in the game is a woman is entirely irrelevant to the contraversial action of killing Joel. Quite why you seem to want to insist on placing the focus on Abby and by extention, her actress's, gender positively beggars belief. It's absurd and divorced entirely from the facts of this whole story.

I'm not even gonna mince my words here. You're borderline delusional if you think this has anything to do with gender, when even the fucking offending party makes it abudantly clear that the motivation behind their toxic, incoherent tirade is because of their clear disdain for the actions of a fictional character in a videogame.

This person is a fucking nutter, and if you're trying to ascribe any coherent misogenystic agenda to their motivations, you only end up looking comparably nuts.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
No it doesn't.

You talk about logical fallacies and fail to see this blinding stinker of a non sequitur.

This instance has nothing to do with gender because the exact fucking issue this nutter in question is taking issue with is that the character Joselyn played, i.e. Abby, killed another beloved character, Joel.

That Abby in the game is a woman is entirely irrelevant to the contraversial action of killing Joel. Quite why you seem to want to insist on placing the focus on Abby and by extention, her actress's, gender positively beggars belief. It's absurd and divorced entirely from the facts of this whole story.

I'm not even gonna mince my words here. You're borderline delusional if you think this has anything to do with gender, when even the fucking offending party makes it abudantly clear that the motivation behind their toxic, incoherent tirade is because of their clear disdain for the actions of a fictional character in a videogame.

This person is a fucking nutter, and if you're trying to ascribe any coherent misogenystic agenda to their motivations, you only end up looking comparably nuts.
No no and no. You need to stop trying to lump everything together as if there is no nuance or layers. You're looking silly and contradictory

Why they are hurling insults - maybe nothing to to do with gender but maybe does. It is a woman character killing a male character. Could that fact be fuelling their anger? Maybe or maybe not but you don't know.

BTW "Person be crazy" isn't a catch all which makes all other factors irrelevant as much as you would like it to be. Folk with mental illnesses still have motivations, biases and prejudices. Having mental illness doesn't make all of that go away. Rather mental illness tends to augment and exaggerate those characteristics.

How they are throwing the insults the expletives are gendered and the threats are gendered too. You'd have to be illiterate not to know that "B×××" and "Cxx" are as gendered as insults get. Attacking someone's kids is also gendered. Rightly or wrongly its an insult much more likely to be received by women than men.

If your comeback is again gonna be
" B..b..But person be crazy and you be crazy too for seeing anything else" don't bother.

You've made that point and it is- ironically enough- a non sequitur that doesn't understand human beings on a fairly fundamental level.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Bro, 99% of people getting dumbass comments and messages ignore them. Block the user if needed. And if it's actually a serious stalker/doxxer case, you go to the police.

Only 1% of people promote the messages for everyone to see which makes it worse. The only reason to do so if they are a media whore looking for attention.... oh wait. It's video game people. No wonder.

And it's not like people didn't post screenshots and videos about getting harassed while playing Hogwarts.

People often do this to expose the person or just to show how crazy people are. If you're on either twitter or facebook, this stuff happens all the time.

Deerock71

I mean...what do you want to bet everyone in the public eye gets death threats?
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
People doing this are degenerates and belongs on a cross.

It's insane people can't differentiate between an actor and a character.

It's like the actor behind joffrey in got that also getting death threats.

Theres many more mentally ill people out in the public than we realise.

Rush2112

Banned
Love all the fake reddit outrage. Keep em coming.
Even streamers and youtubers get harrassed. Only reason this has suddenly become an issue is because of how political the game was. So now we all have to be outraged because if you play a manly looking chic, it means youre special.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah, this is a complicated issue and a really, strobe light air Siren obvious issue simultaneously. As has been mentioned above, it's easy to take a black and white approach and say "bad thing bad and person doing it is nuts," and sure, that's true, but you also say to yourself "now what are the natural and acquired contributing factors to what MAKES this bad person doing bad things...do bad things?" That argument seems to have fizzled out into semantics, but I think the logical takeaway illustrated by this scenario is "Don't tell people you're going to kill them,"

Maybe further addendums could be added, like "that doesn't mean kill people without warning, just like...don't kill people. Don't say you're going to kill people," and then a bunch of armchair aspberger assholes like our fine group won't be discussing the merits of your psychological profile, AND a random person won't feel severely violated.

Stop face scanning real people. Did Tifa or Mario need it? No. Problem solved.

Or just realize that people who casually make death threats online are making empty threats and 99.999999999999% of them have no intention to attempt to follow through.

Once you grasp that, you realize it's all just empty vitriol and easy to ignore.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Or just realize that people who casually make death threats online are making empty threats and 99.999999999999% of them have no intention to attempt to follow through.

Once you grasp that, you realize it's all just empty vitriol and easy to ignore.
Out of the thousands of stupid posts (maybe even millions?) people have aimed at game devs since the net got up and running, have any actually lead to an employee getting hurt?

I dont know. I'm just asking.

Unless I missed the slew of video game employees getting stalked and hit over the head with a baseball bat, it sure seems the average troller is no different than a random YT troll telling the account holder his video Sucks Ass.

Just ignore. If anything, the troller is likely high fiving his buddy the account responded to his baity post.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This isn't just limited to gamers, there have been plenty of times where actors who have played certain roles receive abuse soley due to the character they have played.
Don't get me started on Lady Gaga and Justin Biebers fans from 2012 also sending death threats.
It’s happened in sports for decades. A player misses a shot, he gets death threats. Hell, it happened to Steve Bartman and he was a fan, and I think it was like the mayor of Chicago or something said mean shit about him. Or said he’s not welcome in the town anymore. Maybe it wasn’t the mayor but it was someone of prominence in r the city. For catching a freaking baseball at a baseball game. The guy had to go into hiding.

Abuse is awful but it isn’t anything new. It just seems new to gaming because gaming has become super mainstream now and people are just recognizing it. But it’s existed in all forms of media forever.

Last edited:
Out of the thousands of stupid posts (maybe even millions?) people have aimed at game devs since the net got up and running, have any actually lead to an employee getting hurt?

I dont know. I'm just asking.

Unless I missed the slew of video game employees getting stalked and hit over the head with a baseball bat, it sure seems the average troller is no different than a random YT troll telling the account holder his video Sucks Ass.

Just ignore. If anything, the troller is likely high fiving his buddy the account responded to his baity post.

It's a legit question.

I haven't heard or read of a single case of a dev or gaming media persons whom having received threats came to any actual physical harm (no, I don't count being offended as "harm" or "violence").

I just think it's another form of millennial perpetual victimhood.

Pimpbaa

Why would one think that a model for a character in a game had anything to do with the characters creation other than their image? I’m stupid and high and this still doesn’t make any goddamn sense. I mean seriously, how can you not have at least the basic idea of how games are made. You’d have to be a real fucking mental midget.

Doom85

It's a legit question.

I haven't heard or read of a single case of a dev or gaming media persons whom having received threats came to any actual physical harm (no, I don't count being offended as "harm" or "violence").

I just think it's another form of millennial perpetual victimhood.

I mean, media is media. It’s not like gamers are automatically less likely to have psychopaths and such among them compared to other mediums’ fanbases.

As for actual deaths and harm come to those in the entertainment industry, here’s just a few:

It’s not like being in the video game industry gives one magical protection against this becoming a reality. History has shown that, YES, a deranged fan of anything is willing to commit murder, so only the most ignorant would believe this couldn’t happen.

And seriously, would any of you be this chill about a loved one receiving threats like this? I would seriously hope not.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And seriously, would any of you be this chill about a loved one receiving threats like this? I would seriously hope not.
If I received this on my FB or Linkedin (I dont have Twitter), I'd delete or block it and that's it. Who would take a video game rant seriously? The ranter isn't even saying he or she will come do the act. It's just your typically whining Go Jump Off A Bridge reply followed by some tough guy I'll Kick Your Ass remark.

On the other hand, if I (or family) was getting phone call threats or people banging on my door that would be totally different.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If I received this on my FB or Linkedin (I dont have Twitter), I'd delete or block it and that's it. Who would take a video game rant seriously? The ranter isn't even saying he or she will come do the act. It's just your typically whining Go Jump Off A Bridge reply.

On the other hand, if I (or family) was getting phone call threats or people banging on my door that would be totally different.

It's funny how people say they'll just ignore people who go after them on social media but are so quick to reply to something they don't like on this forum.

We're all guilty of this.

This woman gets harassed online all the time so she was obviously going to speak out about something sooner or later.

Doom85

The ranter isn't even saying he or she will come do the act.

James Franco Reaction GIF

Maybe you played some alternate universe version of The Last of Us Part 2 where Abby wishes Joel a happy birthday and gives him a cake, otherwise, no, this individual did say they would do the act.

GHound

Cant separate fiction from reality, sad people!
Very sad. It's thanks to people like this, the moral panic types and the banshees constantly screaming to anyone who will listen on social media or otherwise that we've got so many people trying to police the entertainment industries.
Acting like entertainment is the cause of it and not the sweeping of mental health issues under the rug, bad parenting, and just people being plain ol' assholes.
But what can ya do? Can only act in a way that you yourself can be proud of at the end of the day. We can wish the best of people, but at the end of the day it's not our place nor within our ability to change them as that's something that has to come from within.
Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This just proves that people should tested before being granted Access/ability to have or do any of the following:

Drive a car
Having a child
Buying a firearm
Watching TV/Movies
Playing video games
Access to the internet
Speaking outside of your own home

Problem solved.

If you never receive death threats you‘re just not popular enough. It‘s like when you‘re walking to a gay bar as a straight guy and aren’t getting hit on, it means you‘re just not handsome enough.

Lasha

This type of behavior has gone on forever

I think I have told this story on here before

I blew a save in the 1990-91 MLB season and the next day my wife at the time was with our 1 year old son grocery shopping and somehow a fan knew who she was and pushed her to the ground and told her if I blew another game he would kill both of us

I know I have said this many times I couldn't imagine playing in todays 24/7 media
Oooooo wheres ur bbref page.

realcool

"hey, neil, it's me, jocelyn mettler. look, i know i said you could use me as a character in your game, but i didn't know you were gonna make me osama bin fuckin laden..."

I mean, media is media. It’s not like gamers are automatically less likely to have psychopaths and such among them compared to other mediums’ fanbases.

As for actual deaths and harm come to those in the entertainment industry, here’s just a few:

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

It’s not like being in the video game industry gives one magical protection against this becoming a reality. History has shown that, YES, a deranged fan of anything is willing to commit murder, so only the most ignorant would believe this couldn’t happen.

Ok so now prove to me that the likelihood of a media personality being murdered is any higher than the national murder rate across the general populace and then I'd concede you have a point.

Fundamentally, you've got it backward in your logic. Being a media personally doesn't somehow shield you from the risk of being murdered. But neither does walking down the street late at night in a bad part of town.

There will ALWAYS be nutters willing to go out and murder both people in the public eye as well people who aren't, but when the probability of those are both vanishingly small, you just have to suck it up and get on with life.

If you live in a particularly murderous city, you wouldn't be so paralyzed by fear of being murdered that you refuse to leave your home until the wider populace acknowledges and heaps sympathy on you. So why do media personalities behave this way?

It's not as if public outrage and extended sympathies will do anything meaningful to prevent psychopaths from murdering... so to your question about being chill about a loved one receiving a death threat, I absolutely would be. I'd report it to the police and then get on with life.... WTF else am I supposed to do?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I don't even know how to begin to deal with people like this. I can't even imagine what frame of mind it takes to reach a point where you're threatening a person because their likeness was used in a video game.

DeathGuise

I know it's hard not to take stuff personally but-- she's got to know that these people are fucking stupid. They think 1) Abby is real and that 2) she is Abby. Hopefully she's not taking them seriously.

And nobody here should be taking any of it seriously. I mean don't get offended on her behalf, you're wasting energy

Teletraan1

Banned
Nobody is to blame but the people making threats. Like it or not Neil has the right to do what he wants with his creation.
The toxicity driving these weirdos is not just from the game or it's story beats that people didn't like. There has been a corner of the internet that has kept this hate train running for years due to the direct actions of ND.
When the Story leak happened prior to the release ND was trying to keep a lid on it. One of the tactics they used was to submit copyright strikes on people covering the topic regardless of whether or not they actually showed any copyright material. They did this because it is easy to abuse the YT process and is often used to censor people. The video in question is taken down until a review can happen, you lose out on ad revenue and your channel can be put at risk. The narrative for these YouTube people shifted from fuck this game to Fuck ND, it became personal as a direct result of ND's scummy censorious actions. That has manifested itself in this years long campaign against ND and anything they are involved in with Abby and her PED body being at the forefront of mockery and scorn as she is the easy target as a hated agenda insert character who kills a beloved character.
If you have followed any internet drama the stories that keep going way too long are the times when someone is trying to hide something or start abusing systems in order to censor people from talking about them. Eliza Bleu or Jack Murphy are perfect current examples. They both had sketchy pasts that don't fit with their current grift and both of these losers went to internet censorship to try and squash people.
So yes Neil and the gang at ND do bare some burden with how they handled the situation. False copyright strikes are a scum bag move no matter how you spin it. They beat a hive of internet autists with a stick and then with the help of games journalism hide behind sexism in gaming as the root of all this shit storm that probably would have blown over in a month if they ignored it.
Again none of this gives anyone the right to harass anyone else. If you are against weirdos threatening people online you should also be against companies threatening people's livelihood with underhanded shit like ND did.

This type of behavior has gone on forever

I think I have told this story on here before

I blew a save in the 1990-91 MLB season and the next day my wife at the time was with our 1 year old son grocery shopping and somehow a fan knew who she was and pushed her to the ground and told her if I blew another game he would kill both of us

I know I have said this many times I couldn't imagine playing in todays 24/7 media
We have actual ex-athletes on NeoGAF? Also, why not take a Louisville Slugger to his face?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
We have actual ex-athletes on NeoGAF? Also, why not take a Louisville Slugger to his face?
Oh I doubt he would have done that if I would have been around

And yeah there are a few athletes that I know frequent forums including this one just many are not very active in posting

Oh I doubt he would have done that if I would have been around

And yeah there are a few athletes that I know frequent forums including this one just many are not very active in posting
So what happened then, were you Billy Bean of the Oakland A's or something? Show us the MLB resume.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So what happened then, were you Billy Bean of the Oakland A's or something? Show us the MLB resume.
The cops were called by someone at the store as this was the early 1990s and not everyone was carrying cell phones and the big bad man pushing down a woman and baby was long gone and I was at the field when I got the call luckily they were both fine

And no not showing my resume

The cops were called by someone at the store as this was the early 1990s and not everyone was carrying cell phones and the big bad man pushing down a woman and baby was long gone and I was at the field when I got the call luckily they were both fine

And no not showing my resume
Glad to see that they were both fine, though wimping out on the resume is some weak sauce. I'm doubtful that you ever had a Wikipedia page anyway :messenger_grinning_smiling:!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom