• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I Rebuilt for PS5 - Features and Gameplay Trailer

It's built in last of us part 2 core technology engine that's not mean It didn't look better what I mean naughty dog not implement next gen technologies like ray tracing refelections , rt global illumination and mesh shades yet and this will make huge difference for their engine
Yeah could be right, exciting to see what these guys can do.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Maybe it was those two things that made TLOU2's combat feel so special?

I love watching Sunhi and Much gifs on twitter because they show off just how amazing the combat feels in TLOU2.

Nothing they showed today in this carefully crafted PR video or in the leak even comes close to this.

Eh, maybe for some

To me, I didn’t find tlou2 core combat to be all that significantly different from the first. The big step up was mostly AI

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I really hope this is just a one off thing to cash in on the Pc market with one of their most popular franchises and not something that becomes a trend at Sony.

That’s what it seems this product is for. Not for PS5, but for PC

Begs the question….are they going to charge PC gamers $70 for TLOU1 and another $70 for TLOU2?

Jim Ryan is a goddamn clown that can’t read the room. It explains why he’s had to reverse course multiple times on obvious anti consumer practices.

This guy would rape his own mother if he could get away with it.

Rien

Jelly Belly
She probably thinks that gaming is a hobby for male teenagers where you spend 90% of your time following a straight line and brainlessly shooting & murdering people, and, well.... TLOU will not help change her mind but only confirm her thoughts as that's exactly that. She will look at you with a concerned face and ask you why in god's name you tell her it's different as it's the exact same thing as any other retarded shooting gallery she watches you playing night after night.

Try showing her some intelligent games instead, aka Outer Wilds, Obra Dinn, The Witness, Disco Elysium etc... Then maybe she will revise her views. And it wont be bad for you to expand your horizon of thinking as well.

Lol what the fuck are you talking about? Expand my horizon of thinking, you don’t even know me mate. Plus you don’t know my wife either. Lots of assumptions on your side here.
I played The Witness and probably play games longer than you.

Gtfo

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Sometimes I highly doubt that a lot of them actually enjoy getting fleeced. They’re just so bought into a console or a games company that they’ll buy whatever gets put out. And the companies know that.
That seems an exaggeration. Doubt someone buy it just because love ND. Sound too much ridiculous to me.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
If anything this trailer reinforces how unnecessary this remake is. They've included some direct gameplay comparisons and while it obviously looks nicer on Ps5 what really stands out to me is how completely fine the original remaster still looks. Ps3 era games that already got remastered don't really need remakes, specially those that were already among the best looking games back then.

If companies will waste time on remakes at least go back to the Ps2 era an earlier, bring back games that aren't easily available on modern platforms and where the visual upgrade is truly transformative
maxresdefault.jpg

I really hope this is just a one off thing to cash in on the Pc market with one of their most popular franchises and not something that becomes a trend at Sony.
Yes, Yakuza Kiwami 2. That's a remake.

So, Sony (or any other video game company for that matter) should just do whatever the hell they like, because the gullible will hover up their product regardless?

What a great future video games has if that’s the case.
Days Gone, Death Stranding, Demons Souls, The Last Guardian.. etc all hovered up huh? The Sony Pony Lemmings really dropped the bag there huh.

Or just maybe, just maybe.. interest is so high in The Last of Us from a new audience that arent sweating on their chairs while roaming in Neogaf.

And if in 5 years interest is still high, they’ll make a new graphical upgrade for the next 18 years olds. Remasters might have not aged to you old fucks, but to younger people they’ve aged badly.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's gotta be why this is such a meme, right? Those posting memes about it all think sex is bad? That's GOTTA be it! Not that it is cheesy as hell or anything. Nah. It's the sex is bad crowd at it again!

Yep, the bolded is the reason. Abby was getting pumped from behind and getting some D. Big deal. It's only cheesy if you haven't had sex in years or are still a virgin.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
How is this worth 70 bucks again?

Its TLOU2 with the outdated TLOU1 gameplay and no multiplayer whatsoever.

There is nothing about this that couldn't be done on PS4 for 60 bucks.

Because Jim Ryan can’t read the room

Should be $39 or less for those that already bought the game two times before

Charging $70 is a slap in the face. People should boycott it for that reason alone

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Sometimes I highly doubt that a lot of them actually enjoy getting fleeced. They’re just so bought into a console or a games company that they’ll buy whatever gets put out. And the companies know that.

Actually, it's the opposite for me; I am very selective of the games I purchase. I buy a console knowing I'm only going to purchase a handful (relative) of the games that come out the entire generation. But the ones I do buy are valuable to me. That's why the pricing conversation is often meaningless. I remember the discussions of how Returnal was overprices and should be $40-50. Guess what? in hindsight I might have paid upwards of $100 based on the amount of hours and the experience I had. Ratchet and Horizon were the same $70, but should I harass Insomniac and Guerrilla because I don't enjoy/value their games as much as I enjoyed Returnal?

Sometimes I get the impression that if if they set the price to:

$10 to upgrade from Remastered people would complain about it being a paid upgrade

If you played the game, and don't see the value.. don't get it?

Value is subjective, and no one is being forced to purchase the game.

Of course, I'm disappointed as it seems that the gameplay hasn't been changed as significantly as I'd hoped - I'm reconsidering my purchase

But this is good for those that haven't played the series yet. It's going to be the best version to play 🤷‍♂️

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Because Jim Ryan can’t read the room

Should be $39 or less for those that already bought the game two times before

Charging $70 is a slap in the face. People should boycott it for that reason alone
Arne and other ND devs were talking about how disheartening it is to see the backlash. It's clear that even if Jimbo hasnt seen the backlash, the devs have. Lets hope this lights a fire under their ass and they put in more effort for a fully priced $70 next gen game. They know better. They know whats next gen. They just got complacent. Hopefully, this is a wake up call for everyone over at Sony and MS studios who are content with putting out last gen looking games like Redfall and TLOU disguised as next gen only titles.

P.S As much as I hate Jimbo and Herman, Herman wanted to can this game, but didnt. This thing probably only survived because ND had nothing on their plate thanks to Neil and Evan Wells completely dropping the ball. And I highly doubt Jimbo called up Neil and said you can take an additional two years to make this game, just make it look last gen as fuck. ND made Lost Legacy in one year. They made TLOU2 in 2 years and 8 months after that. This took them 2 years?? BP made Demon Souls in 2 years and 8 months with just 100 devs. Matrix was made in 8 months by a total 80 people. This is on ND upper management, not jimbo. Highly doubt Jim and Herman have any kind of pull over at ND anyway. ND does whatever they want.

skneogaf

I'd 100 percent upgrade my ps4 version of the last of us 1 but it's purely graphics that they've improved and tweaked the controls and animations to be more fluid.

I'm definitely waiting for the pc version!

I'm really hoping 2 comes to pc too and abby being reduced in size from a power lifter to a fit badd ass will be amazing.

I'm going to play the last of us 1 now so I can wait at least a year before getting the itch to play again.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Arne and other ND devs were talking about how disheartening it is to see the backlash. It's clear that even if Jimbo hasnt seen the backlash, the devs have. Lets hope this lights a fire under their ass and they put in more effort for a fully priced $70 next gen game. They know better. They know whats next gen. They just got complacent. Hopefully, this is a wake up call for everyone over at Sony and MS studios who are content with putting out last gen looking games like Redfall and TLOU disguised as next gen only titles.

P.S As much as I hate Jimbo and Herman, Herman wanted to can this game, but didnt. This thing probably only survived because ND had nothing on their plate thanks to Neil and Evan Wells completely dropping the ball. And I highly doubt Jimbo called up Neil and said you can take an additional two years to make this game, just make it look last gen as fuck. ND made Lost Legacy in one year. They made TLOU2 in 2 years and 8 months after that. This took them 2 years?? BP made Demon Souls in 2 years and 8 months with just 100 devs. Matrix was made in 8 months by a total 80 people. This is on ND upper management, not jimbo. Highly doubt Jim and Herman have any kind of pull over at ND anyway. ND does whatever they want.

I squarely place this mostly on ND, the project should never have existed in the first place

But Jimbo sets the price, he and Hermen
should look at the product and know if it’s worth the value they are charging, especially when TLOU1 was remade not too long ago

Clearly it’s not. The marketing for this title is a huge screw up. Trying to say it’s a ground up PS5 game (no, it isn’t), removing factions, then charging $70 for it.

It’s just a hustle and everyone can see it

angrod14

Do you think sex is bad or something?
No. I'm not questioning the inclusion of a sex scene (although I think they're boring and add nothing to the experience); I'm questioning the way it was staged and framed. Freaking hard to take that scene seriously with Abby moaning with the camera right at her face and Owen pumping from behind in the background. Absolute meme fuel.

Filben

The improved physics are looking good. Interesting though, that Max Payne 3 (one year before TLOU's release). and that Mafia 2 could do that already to some degree when it was released three years before TLOU1; let alone the PC version with PhysX enhanced physics. So many shooters last gen, like Gears 5, felt so lacking of projectile impact because nothing except for enemies reacted to projectiles; Control really was great at this. So I'm glad seeing this in TLOU's PS5 version.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Clearly it’s not. The marketing for this title is a huge screw up. Trying to say it’s a ground up PS5 game (no, it isn’t), removing factions, then charging $70 for it.

If they’d either priced it fairly, or included it in PS Plus then I doubt a single person would have much of a problem with what the game is.

….although I cant help but think that time and effort would have been better served on a new title.

Stooky

Why when anyone else expresses any kind of disappointment about this series, there is always someone as you who says it's because the hates of his success? How arrogant childish and asinine can be such mental attitude?
Critics ,Disappointment or hate? I’m seeing more hate than anything else. This shit is ridiculous.

Ellery

But the ‘original’ in each case is wildly different contextually.

As stated, Demon’s Souls OG was a janky mess, and played by very few people. Less than a million. A remake was justified for these reasons alone, as was the full price tag, because there were an awful lot of people out there who hadn’t played the game, but were Souls fans. The remake made perfect sense from all angles.

Last Of Us has sold over 20 million copies, and has already received a remaster. It was technically rock solid when it first came out. The only way this remake makes sense as a project is to sell it on PC (fine at full price) and to fleece gullible PlayStation owners, who are more than likely to have already bought the game at least once.

To state that the two remakes are exactly the same, and driven by the same intent is rather disingenuous.

Of course, if they’d just pitched the game at a fair price on Ps5, none of this would be an issue.

It is quite funny, because I always felt that all of those companies had the same intent when making games. This is completely my personal opinion, but if I were to run a business my intent would be to sell a product that is profitable.

They want my money and if they offer something that I think is worth my time and money then we have a transaction. Whether Demon's Souls on PS3 sold one million or twenty million units didn't impact my purchase decision.

SlimySnake

I squarely place this mostly on ND, the project should never have existed in the first place

But Jimbo sets the price, he and Hermen
should look at the product and know if it’s worth the value they are charging, especially when TLOU1 was remade not too long ago

Yeah, the price is all Jimbo. Forgot about that. Shouldve been a $40 title like SOTC and the Ratchet remake in 2016. Marketing though? Neil didnt have to go on stage and say all that nonsense. Hes the president of ND now. He can afford to say no to Jimbo.

I think even Demon Souls shouldve been $50 max. $40+10 next gen tax like Spiderman Miles. I have no idea why they think that a simple graphics uplift with some minor gameplay improvements is worth a full $60 let alone $70.

I can see why Remake 2 was a full $60 title. They added brand new enemies, bosses, story, levels, and completely reworked the campaign. RE3 too despite all its cuts and shortcomings. They clearly put in more effort into that 6 hour campaign than ND has in this game. if RE4 doesnt completely change the story, level design and simply does an asset swap with RE2 combat then it is also not worth its $60 price tag. Im not happy about it looking last gen, but if they do what they did with RE2 then it would be a far better 'remake' than TLOU.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Yeah... then you can stop right there I guess.

The sales numbers of TLOU1 -- being available on 3 consoles, included in bundles for years, etc -- have little to do with the huge financial and critical success that is TLOU2, which made it a huge success. You don't have to like it, but that is reality. So someone coming in and calling it a disaster is a complete joke.

Be mad about it, whatever... but don't say or defend idiotic statements in public; it's an embarrassment to all involved.
Well you saying thats is a financial succes is exactly the same as someone that say is a disaster ... IF you are a sony executive with project sales number for Tlou2 and final sales number and a final report about meeting the expectated sales for this game, please share with us, if not , well sorry, but you dont get a final saying in the matter anymore them any of us ... you are just one more fanboy screaming in a forum because someone is not saying some positive about your precious game/company ...

angrod14

Maybe it was those two things that made TLOU2's combat feel so special?

I love watching Sunhi and Much gifs on twitter because they show off just how amazing the combat feels in TLOU2.

Nothing they showed today in this carefully crafted PR video or in the leak even comes close to this.

Nothing they have shown so far looks as good as TLOU2. I dont even think it looks on par. The levels in TLOU2 are also huge compared to the small arenas in TLOU1 and Im not even talking about the Seattle open world level.

Granted TLOU2 had some ugly looking sections but they were limited to Abby's campaign which was supposedly rewritten and redesigned at the last minute. But yes, anyone saying there is no upgrade from TLOU remaster is nuts. I am also in the mood to replay TLOU2 again after seeing this game. All of a sudden I appreciate that game a lot more lol.

It sucks that this game is getting a native 4k 40 fps mode and not TLOU2 which is the far superior game gameplay wise. ND sucks so much lol

Posted these gameplay screenshots in the Graphics Tech thread when it first opened late last year. Looks better than anything in the trailer.

FDJaKA4XIAkZq2p

FDJaJv7XEAQdSkt
I agree. At the very best, this remake is on par with Part II. At the worst, not quite there but still a generational leap from the remastered version.

This is not a proper showcase of what a ND PS5-only exclusive should look like. The only features I see preventing this from running on a base PS4 are resolution and frame rate. Putting those aside I'm still more impressed with Part II's visuals. I also think the remaster still holds up super well in comparisons.

Maybe time, budget or other reasons prevented them from making bigger upgrades. And I totally understand they need to focus on the new console and start leaving behind the previous one.

Still a welcomed release and I have no doubts it will be a super polished and worthy product. Day One.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It is quite funny, because I always felt that all of those companies had the same intent when making games. This is completely my personal opinion, but if I were to run a business my intent would be to sell a product that is profitable.

They want my money and if they offer something that I think is worth my time and money then we have a transaction. Whether Demon's Souls on PS3 sold one million or twenty million units didn't impact my purchase decision.

I’m not arguing for one second that it won’t be profitable. I’m just saying it’s bullshit to charge full price for a game that’s obviously just a graphical upgrade to a game Playstation owners interested in a game like TLOU would have already played.

Just don’t be so fucking greedy. It’s not that hard. Or at least it shouldn’t be.

But if people are dumb enough to slap down that much money for a graphics overhaul on something they already have, then what are you gonna do?

Ellery

I’m not arguing for one second that it won’t be profitable. I’m just saying it’s bullshit to charge full price for a game that’s obviously just a graphical upgrade to a game Playstation owners interested in a game like TLOU would have already played.

Just don’t be so fucking greedy. It’s not that hard. Or at least it shouldn’t be.

But if people are dumb enough to slap down that much money for a graphics overhaul on something they already have, then what are you gonna do?

At first it would help to not be condescending and negative about what others like by being insulting towards the actual person instead of the product. I can understand the dislike towards Sony and Jim Ryan for this pricing. I don't like Jim Ryan. I think he is awful.

But calling people gullible and dumb and constant insults towards other players. Nah we have enough division within the population. I prefer posivity or criticism focused towards those in charge.
That negative aura towards what others should enjoy or buy is mostly going to backfire anyway and hurt oneself on the spiral downwards.

I also don't expect this game to sell well to be completely honest. I think some fans are going to buy it, a few new players, some PC players, a few speedrunners. Less than 3 million units in the first year.

GymWolf

The improved physics are looking good. Interesting though, that Max Payne 3 (one year before TLOU's release). and that Mafia 2 could do that already to some degree when it was released three years before TLOU1; let alone the PC version with PhysX enhanced physics. So many shooters last gen, like Gears 5, felt so lacking of projectile impact because nothing except for enemies reacted to projectiles; Control really was great at this. So I'm glad seeing this in TLOU's PS5 version.

Wall breakings and objects being destroyed is absolutely nothing new, kz2 had this, fucking stranglehold on ps3 had this, red faction on ps2 had this, mgs2 in the tank section had this.

It's always well accepted of course but literally nothing new or mindblowing, it doens't change the gameplay at all unless they can blow away entire walls or big covers where you hide, but in the video you see more something like this (unless i missed something)

Fbh

Yes, Yakuza Kiwami 2. That's a remake.

And more importantly to me, a remake that made sense. As Ps2 titles the first 2 Yakuza games in their original format could feel really dated both visually and mechanically, so the difference with the Kiwami versions is massive, plus they weren't available on modern platforms (aside from emulation on PC) and hadn't seen any major re-release aside from some HD ports on WiiU which never came west.

Meanwhile TLOU1 is available right now on Ps5 at 1800p and 60fps and IMO, as this trailer shows, it still looks totally acceptable

How is this worth 70 bucks again?

Its TLOU2 with the outdated TLOU1 gameplay and no multiplayer whatsoever.

There is nothing about this that couldn't be done on PS4 for 60 bucks.

Because they know TLOU as a brand is strong enough to go full Nintendo. It's no longer about presenting a product that offers enough to justify the price, they know it will sell no matter what because it's TLOU1 so why charge less? Many of the people who think it's not worth the price will probably still buy it because it's TLOU1, and others will just wait for a sale but still pay $40 or whatever they think it's worth.

Don't take me wrong, I think the $70 pricing in general is a joke, most Ps5 versions of games charge a $10 premium just to take advantage of the stronger hardware I already paid for.
But companies will charge what they think their customers are willing to pay, it's the way business works.

Ellery

Wall breakings and objects being destroyed is absolutely nothing new, kz2 had this, fucking stranglehold on ps3 had this, red faction on ps2 had this, mgs2 in the tank section had this.

It's always well accepted of course but literally nothing new or mindblowing, it doens't change the gameplay at all unless they can blow away entire walls or big covers where you hide, but in the video you see more something like this (unless i missed something)

Man I hate Ubisoft so much for the manipulative absolutely hyperfake E3 trailers they have been putting out during that time.

The first Watch Dogs was even worse.

Biggest downgrade of all time and hyper manipulative marketing.

GymWolf

Man I hate Ubisoft so much for the manipulative absolutely hyperfake E3 trailers they have been putting out during that time.

The first Watch Dogs was even worse.

Biggest downgrade of all time and hyper manipulative marketing.
If i remember well, most of the destruction was actually there in the final game at least, the cover being damaged, the cars being damaged etc.

Of course the rest was different but the first division was still a pretty great looking game on pc even with the downgrade.

Yeah WD was hilarious but i think kz2 trailer take the cake for biggest downgrade in gaming history.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
If i remember well, most of the destruction was actually there in the final game at least, the cover being damaged, the cars being damaged etc.

Of course the rest was different but the first division was still a pretty great looking game on pc even with the downgrade.

It's all there. Easily my favourite 3rd person cover shooter.

SlimySnake

Don't take me wrong, I think the $70 pricing in general is a joke, most Ps5 versions of games charge a $10 premium just to take advantage of the stronger hardware I already paid for.
But companies will charge what they think their customers are willing to pay, it's the way business works.
I am surprised Sony didnt reverse course after the underwhelming attach ratio for Demon Souls, Returnal and Ratchet. Games sold 1.2 million, 500k, and 1 million respectively on a console base that was almost 20 million. Thats a 1:20 attach ratio. Awful if you look at Nintendo's Zelda and Mario attach rates which were almost 1:1.

I really dont know why people bought a PS5 and only 1 in 20 chose to buy DS. Ratchet fared better with 1 million sales in just under 2 months but that was the last we heard about its sales. Why spend $500 on a new console and not buy the only next gen games on this fucking thing? Could it be the $70 price tag?

We still havent received sales figures for HFW and GT7 and they were made cross gen to reach a bigger install base.

hemo memo

Gold Member
And more importantly to me, a remake that made sense. As Ps2 titles the first 2 Yakuza games in their original format could feel really dated both visually and mechanically, so the difference with the Kiwami versions is massive, plus they weren't available on modern platforms (aside from emulation on PC) and hadn't seen any major re-release aside from some HD ports on WiiU which never came west.

Meanwhile TLOU1 is available right now on Ps5 at 1800p and 60fps and IMO, as this trailer shows, it still looks totally acceptable
I know exactly what you are saying. I just recently went and played the entire Yakuza series including Kiwami 1 and 2.

• Strength
Reactions: Fbh

Alebrije

No gameplay update .....well Will wait 2 or 3 years to play it on PS Extra...

No worth 70 u.s. if You have the Ramaster on PS5.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Well you saying thats is a financial succes is exactly the same as someone that say is a disaster ...

It's literally not. At all.

IF you are a sony executive with project sales number for Tlou2 and final sales number and a final report about meeting the expectated sales for this game, please share with us.

You have no idea what this is/was, and neither does the person who initially brought this up, which is why claims that this was a disaster are idiotic.

10M sales and buckets of GOTY awards is objectively a success. I don't need to know Sony sales figures to logic my way to this being a success on basically every level, it's really simple math. However if you have data that shows how TLOU2's total budget somehow would be something that logically exceeds that kind of sales figure -- millions of which occurred right at launch for full MSRP, to the point where it set records for PS -- please do share it.

Last edited:
The destruction and physics look impressive that was lacking overall last gen.

Was that present in the last of us part 2? I remember glass breaking realistically but not much else

Fbh

I am surprised Sony didnt reverse course after the underwhelming attach ratio for Demon Souls, Returnal and Ratchet. Games sold 1.2 million, 500k, and 1 million respectively on a console base that was almost 20 million. Thats a 1:20 attach ratio. Awful if you look at Nintendo's Zelda and Mario attach rates which were almost 1:1.

I really dont know why people bought a PS5 and only 1 in 20 chose to buy DS. Ratchet fared better with 1 million sales in just under 2 months but that was the last we heard about its sales. Why spend $500 on a new console and not buy the only next gen games on this fucking thing? Could it be the $70 price tag?

We still havent received sales figures for HFW and GT7 and they were made cross gen to reach a bigger install base.

Well I definitely think a part of it is that many people pick up consoles (specially Playstation and Xbox) to play big third party titles. I know a few people who got a Ps5 before me and basically all they play is COD, Fifa and maybe the occasional high profile release like God of War, Assassins Creed or Resident Evil, etc.

But yeah I also think Sony could use a more variable pricing model instead of everything being $70. As nice as the graphics on Ratched were, I think a single player only game that you can beat in a bit over 10 hours and plays a lot like previous entries was a tough sale for $70

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No. I'm not questioning the inclusion of a sex scene (although I think they're boring and add nothing to the experience); I'm questioning the way it was staged and framed. Freaking hard to take that scene seriously with Abby moaning with the camera right at her face and Owen pumping from behind in the background. Absolute meme fuel.

Everything these days is meme fuel. Take a look at the Craig meme for Halo Infinite. That scene was staged and framed perfectly. It invoked emotion within lots of players.

Top Bottom