• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II has broken all records for fastest pre-ordered PS4 exclusive title (Physical and Digital)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’ll hold off for the PS5 version, but regardless, this game is going to sell very well at launch.

I would honestly be surprised if there is a PS5 version that’s not also a patched upgrade for the backwards compatible PS4 one’s already sold in peoples physical/digital collections.

They may re-brand/update the packaging for it, but I doubt they’ll leave the already purchased assed out.

Doom85

Yeah, I pre-ordered the $170 edition, easily the most expensive CE I've ever gotten, but after sadly missing out on the first game's CE with the Joel and Ellie statue due to me failing to miss that it was even a thing until it was already sold out, no fucking way am I missing out on the Ellie statue on this one.

Pachi72

Sorry folk but a Gamepass for Sony would be a huge mistake..Or a streaming subscription. The Studio would not make as much money as selling their game.....

Phase

Yeah, I pre-ordered the $170 edition, easily the most expensive CE I've ever gotten, but after sadly missing out on the first game's CE with the Joel and Ellie statue due to me failing to miss that it was even a thing until it was already sold out, no fucking way am I missing out on the Ellie statue on this one.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

ZehDon

I would honestly be surprised if there is a PS5 version that’s not also a patched upgrade for the backwards compatible PS4 one’s already sold in peoples physical/digital collections.

They may re-brand/update the packaging for it, but I doubt they’ll leave the already purchased assed out.
Really? Like how PS4 has full backwards compatibility with the digital PS2 games you bought on PS3?
They’ll throw in some DLC, a self-indulgent “Director’s Commentary”, get it to 60 FPS, and re-release at slightly less than full price.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Really? Like how PS4 has full backwards compatibility with the digital PS2 games you bought on PS3?
They’ll throw in some DLC, a self-indulgent “Director’s Commentary”, get it to 60 FPS, and re-release at slightly less than full price.

They already said that the PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4. They understand the ecosystem push moving forward on all platforms.

It won’t be like the PS2 thing. It will be like PS4Pro thing. Which I believe was the test bed for that aspect.

That's exactly what's gonna happen. All this I'll wait for a PS5 talk is nothing more than I'll wait for the never to be released PC or the I'll get it on sale rhetoric.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's exactly what's gonna happen. All this I'll wait for a PS5 talk is nothing more than I'll wait for the never to be released PC or the I'll get it on sale rhetoric.

I predict the “PS5 version” is the same PS4, packaged with both labels on the box (maybe), and the “PS5 patch” akin to a PS4Pro patch in 2/2020.

So you are just going to wait for another upgrade to the same executable.

Last edited:

Doom85

I mean, there are people who blow tens of thousands of dollars on expensive cars with shit gas mileage. I don't feel guilty at all in comparison. Actually, if you look at how the nicer figures/statues cost these days, that price once you subtract $60 for the game and a bit more for the other goodies is a little cheaper than the current pricing standard for the nicer figures/statues (to be clear to anyone who's ignorant on these things, I'm talking the REAL nice figures/statues, not cheap-looking $15 ones you see at Walmart).

ZehDon

They already said that the PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4. They understand the ecosystem push moving forward on all platforms.

It won’t be like the PS2 thing. It will be like PS4Pro thing. Which I believe was the test bed for that aspect.
Sure, I don’t dispute that, but that has no bearing on a PS5 remaster of their last big game for their previous console. It was a strategy that made millions on the PS4. A 4K 60FPS remaster with slightly better graphics at a discounted price. It’s only a question of how long, and if it include the multiplayer.

I actually evolved on this gay/lesbian stuff but did her girlfriend really need to be that ugly? My god, she’s ugly as sin, as is her real life model. Ugh.

And, I demand there be sex scene in the game with good amount of nudity. That would be powerful and brave.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Sony sold the ps4 version of the first one separately. They have to date never done such a thing in any of their re-releases in ANY of their first party games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony sold the ps4 version of the first one separately. They have to date never done such a thing in any of their re-releases in ANY of their first party games.

That is due to no backwards compatibility to the PS3 due to the change of architecture.

It’s different this time around with similar architecture in full backwards compatibility that they confirmed.

Like I said, I will be surprised.

Edit: You’re welcome to quote me if they do what you think they will, and I will be right there with you to call the shit out like “oh shit, what the fuck you doing, yo”.

But something tells me they have a grasp on the ecosystem thing.

Last edited:
This makes no sense. The ps4 was NEVER backwards compatible with the ps3. The only way any of this would work is with a remaster.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That is due to no backwards compatibility to the PS3 due to the change of architecture.

It’s different this time around with similar architecture in full backwards compatibility that they confirmed.

Like I said, I will be surprised.
Yeah I'm aware of BC problems but even I highly doubt this.

This makes no sense. The ps4 was NEVER backwards compatible with the ps3. The only way any of this would work is with a remaster.
None of Sony's first party games to date (remastered) have gotten a discount or the new version for free in the history of their consoles TO DATE. I think.

That could be one part. Another bunch of variables could be those who have the income just to get it done now, and have it preloaded around release (set it and forget it), or a more limited budget know they have the cash on hand now, so get it while they can budget it.

I see.

None of Sony's first party games to date (remastered) have gotten a discount or the new version for free in the history of their consoles TO DATE. I think.
Are you serious? I just saw all kinds of cheaper first party games. Hell I think you can horizon with the DLC cheaper than the base game. That's how my cousin, who's 16, got it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Are you serious? I just saw all kinds of cheaper first party games. Hell I think you can horizon with the DLC cheaper than the base game. That's how my cousin, who's 16, got it.
Cheaper what are you talking about? Doge said he believes the ps4 version would get a free patch for ps5 owners and I said that would be highly unlikely given history. My post was about that.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Highly, highly unlikely that they will charge for a remaster.

They're going to advertise the PS5 along with BC. Best way to do it is to show off enhanced versions of their first party games running at 4K and 60fps.

A simple resolution and frame-rate bump will make some people want to buy a PS5 and it would be unreasonable for them to tell gamers that they have to pay for these updates or just pay for the last of us update.

Keihart

Sony went as far as to confirm backwards compatibility before announcing the ps5 itself, I think it's safe to say that it is a big part of their strategy next Gen.
I mean, before ps3 shenanigans, it was the norm with ps2 playing ps1 games, and launch ps3 playing ps1 and ps2 games and ps1 classic being playable across psp vita and Ps3.

Source
Mark Cerny interview here:

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

• 8 core AMD 7nm Zen 2 based on third generation Ryzen.
  • Ray-tracing support with custom AMD Navi GPU.
  • Custom AMD unit for 3D Audio, also aided by ray-tracing, a big upgrade.
  • Extremely fast high-end custom SSD storage faster than any solution currently available for PC:
    Spider-Man load times on PS4 Pro: 15 seconds → 0.8 seconds on next-gen PlayStation.
  • Technically supports 8K but Cerny demoed Spider-Man load speed improvements on a 4K screen.
  • New Virtual Reality platform strongly hinted at but also supports current PSVR (meaning millions of VR users 'day one').
  • Death Stranding might be a cross-gen title (speculation in article based on Cerny reply).
  • Physical Media.
  • Backwards Compatible with at least PS4.
  • Four years in development so far.
If history is any guide, it will eventually be dubbed the PlayStation 5. For now, Cerny responds to that question—and many others—with an enigmatic smile. The “next-gen console,“ as he refers to it repeatedly, won’t be landing in stores anytime in 2019. A number of studios have been working with it, though, and Sony recently accelerated its deployment of devkits so that game creators will have the time they need to adjust to its capabilities.

PlayStation’s next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into $10,000 high-end processors, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet

Edit to add this regarding price:

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
But I thought go woke go broke was a thing. I mean it's not like all of the entirety of media hasn't been woke to some extent.

Well some studios/IP like Naughty Dogs and TLOU are untouchable regardless of what they do. Sure, some people can blame them for being too "woke" but their games are still masterpieces everyone should play.

Psykodad

Banned
It wasn't used for marketing though. It was just part of her character.

Now it's like "LOOK, SHE'S GAY! 2019!"
She also wasn't the main character in the original.

Ellie being grown-up and gay is pretty normal when she was a teen and gay in the original.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Highly, highly unlikely that they will charge for a remaster.

They're going to advertise the PS5 along with BC. Best way to do it is to show off enhanced versions of their first party games running at 4K and 60fps.

A simple resolution and frame-rate bump will make some people want to buy a PS5 and it would be unreasonable for them to tell gamers that they have to pay for these updates or just pay for the last of us update.
Like MS...
I Remember Jim Ryan saying BC Is useless

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I personally am waiting to play it on PS5, either as a remastered launch title or backwards compatible enhanced title. Since I got a 4K TV and played a few games in 4K, i want to play it in its full glory. I also dont have a PS4 pro.
Good idea? Do you think the game will be enhanced on PS5 backwards compatibility?

joe_zazen

I personally am waiting to play it on PS5, either as a remastered launch title or backwards compatible enhanced title. Since I got a 4K TV and played a few games in 4K, i want to play it in its full glory. I also dont have a PS4 pro.
Good idea? Do you think the game will be enhanced on PS5 backwards compatibility?

If you don't give a fuck about spoilers like me, yeah it is a good idea. And of course it will be upgraded for 5.

Last edited:
Well some studios/IP like Naughty Dogs and TLOU are untouchable regardless of what they do. Sure, some people can blame them for being too "woke" but their games are still masterpieces everyone should play.
You're preaching to the choir bro. The wokest of woke will rise to the top as long as it's done right.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
If you don't give a fuck about spoilers like me, yeah it is a good idea. And of course it will be upgraded for 5.

Damn forgot about spoilers. These days even YouTube spoils everything with their recommended videos with spoilers in video titles itself.

Hudo

Gold Member
It sure seems like it will be a very good execution of the "interactive experience / movie game" type of video game. Lots of people seem to like those kind of games. So, well deserved.

thelastword

Banned
Lou sure is the franchise to push crazy numbers......We all know the first game sold close to 20 million. I hope part 2 does 40-50 = million......I'm surely going to do my part.....

Birdo

Banned
LOOK, HE'S STRAIGHT! 2019!

Interesting straw man attempt, but being straight can't be used as "tokenism", since 97% of Americans identify as straight.

Think I'm going to ignore TLOU threads from now on. This particular title seems to bring out the worst in both me and this forum.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Interesting straw man attempt, but being straight can't be used as "tokenism", since 97% of Americans identify as straight.

Think I'm going to ignore TLOU threads from now on. This particular title seems to bring out the worst in both me and this forum.
In both cases the fact each character has a love interest motivating them is being used in the marketing (and Days Gone was way more blatant about it than TLOU2). My position is that both of these are the same and I don't care. Your position is that one is ok because the character is straight but the other isn't because it's automatically "tokenism" & "virtue signaling".

So how do you have an openly gay character in a game without it being seen as "tokenism"/"virtue signaling"/"SJW agenda?" The answer is you can't. The solution is therefore no gay characters in games unless the fact they're gay is never anything more than a discrete footnote (and even then people will complain).

And it sure is convenient that you can't have openly gay characters in games without lumping all of this baggage onto them.

Ar¢tos

Sure, I don’t dispute that, but that has no bearing on a PS5 remaster of their last big game for their previous console. It was a strategy that made millions on the PS4. A 4K 60FPS remaster with slightly better graphics at a discounted price. It’s only a question of how long, and if it include the multiplayer.
Why would ND/Sony bother making a full remaster for a game that runs on a platform with the same architecture and basically the same OS?
They'll just patch it to run natively on ps5 with improvements and sell the patch as a ps5 upgrade download (for those that want more than just the BC). At max, they'll repackage the ps4 version and sell it with a patch code for PS5.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I predict the “PS5 version” is the same PS4, packaged with both labels on the box (maybe), and the “PS5 patch” akin to a PS4Pro patch in 2/2020.

So you are just going to wait for another upgrade to the same executable.
I'd love to see Sony do that, but I have a feeling their BC is going to be the bare minimum. I really hope I'm wrong though.

Birdo

Banned
And it sure is convenient that you can't have openly gay characters in games without lumping all of this baggage onto them.

giphy.gif

You're forgetting one thing. The current state of western culture. I'll explain.........

Five years ago, the emphasis on her being a lesbian wouldn't have even batted an eyelid. People would have been like "Oh, she's gay". But something happened recetly. The entire western world has been torn in half. We have entered this strange culture war between what we call "sjw" vs "anti-sjw". It has infested everything. From news, movies, to music.

What I'm getting at, is that the whole thing feels like it's being done just to stick it to the "Incel, anti-sjw, trump" crowd. And the only reason I say this is because the developer and workers there, like Druckman, are very vocal about culture politics. That is the only reason it feels forced. If it wasn't for all this nonsense, it would have felt sincere and natural.

So as it stands, whenever I see this game, all I can think of is the left going "Ha, watch them get upset about the LGBT protag", and the right going "I'm not playing a game with a female LGBT protag!"........ It's poisoned my enjoyment of a lot of things, knowing that it's going on. Even though it shouldn't.

BTW, my original post in here was off-the-cuff, and I really don't care about that much about this, but people keep asking me fucking questions and I don't like to ignore them..... In the words of Elsa and Rambo "Let it go".

FranXico

Shadow of the Colossus was released at a lower price point (I bought it for €40 at launch). I think the same happened with Gravity Rush, not sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom