• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Is The Fastest Selling PlayStation 5 Exclusive Ever & The 6th Fastest Selling PlayStation Exclusive

GymWolf

But they also need to continue increasing their single-player portfolio at the same time.
I'm just not ok with sony dividing a team for 2-3 projects, those are not ubisoft or rockstar with 1000+ devs, some sony studios barely have 150 to 200 devs.

I'm always gonna be in favour of working on a single project per studio.

Mr.Phoenix

This is what I am thinking as well. These metrics are so specific that it doesn't seem that impressive. But I am happy for Square regardless.

But you know who will be even happier? The investors!
No, this metric is not stupid in the slightest.

Yes, it's the fastest-selling PS5 exclusive, and yes, mostly because there have been only like what? 2 or three of those?

But what is important is that its the 6th fastest-selling Playstation platform exclusive. That is a very oud shout that cross-gen is not needed anymore to pad sales.

Hudo

No, this metric is not stupid in the slightest.

Yes, it's the fastest-selling PS5 exclusive, and yes, mostly because there have been only like what? 2 or three of those?

But what is important is that its the 6th fastest-selling Playstation platform exclusive. That is a very oud shout that cross-gen is not needed anymore to pad sales.
I'd be probably hype as fuck as well if I had Square Enix shares, I guess.

Mr.Phoenix

I'm just not ok with sony dividing a team for 2-3 projects, those are not ubisoft or rockstar with 1000+ devs, some sony studios barely have 150 to 200 devs.

I'm always gonna be in favour of working on a single project per studio.
I have no qualms with their studios working on multiple projects if they actually have the manpower for it.

Yes, the typical sony studio is ike 150-200 strong. But there has also been an expansion within some of their studios recently, making them 4-500 strong. If that allows them simultaneously work on two projects, that's all good. And two projects don't even mean the studio gets split, in reality, it means 80% of the studio works on one project, and a skeleton team that is about 20% of the studio works on the other in pre-production. Then when the main team finishes the other project, the next one goes into full production.

StueyDuck

Dominant performance. Absolutely bahamut!
Understand Captain America GIF

GymWolf

I have no qualms with their studios working on multiple projects if they actually have the manpower for it.

Yes, the typical sony studio is ike 150-200 strong. But there has also been an expansion within some of their studios recently, making them 4-500 strong. If that allows them simultaneously work on two projects, that's all good. And two projects don't even mean the studio gets split, in reality, it means 80% of the studio works on one project, and a skeleton team that is about 20% of the studio works on the other in pre-production. Then when the main team finishes the other project, the next one goes into full production.
More men into a project means more content (from actual content to microdetails to animations to everything really) more polishing etc.

I want a full team working on a big game, not 1\3 of it.

I know gaf unrealistically wants 95 mc games every 2 years but it is not how it fucking works, you need a lot of manpower, money and time to make great AAA games.

I'm perfectly ok with waiting 5 (or more years) for a game like i'm perfectly ok to have a rockstar game every 10 years, people act like they have nothing to play when games get released basically every day and we all have huge backlogs.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Doesn’t really say much when there are so few Ps5 exclusive games. Being the 6th fastest selling PlayStation exclusive overall is way more impressive.

Good on Square! Game looks great.

The bolded is why this thread should have been made. That's impressive.

yurinka

Horizon and GT7 are on PS4, so aren't counted as PS5 exclusive.
Yep, I meant for the list of global PS exclusives (not PS5 only).

Can you see it jimbo, you don't need fucking gaas and 34 multyplayer projects, single player games still smash asses.
In addition to invest more in 1st party MP and GaaS, Jimbo also invested more than before in single player MP non GaaS (and will grow their investment on them), plus are investing more money than ever in 2nd and 3rd party exclusives.

This game is part of that Jimbo's plan of investing more than before in everything.

Mobile is the biggest and fastest growing gaming market, PC is bigger than PS and both globally and in PS the gaming revenue is moving from paying games to add-ons (dlc, IAP, passes), the biggest portion of the slice, because MP and GaaS are the most successful games and their portion keeps growing.

So makes sense that Sony making an effort to grow in MP, GaaS, PC and mobile without decreasing the investment in the current SP non-GaaS titles. Which is Jimbo's plan.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I am really curious what Japanese players think of the game. Is it too linear for their liking? to dark? to adult? It still has a Kupo. Will this game have legs and word of mouth is the question.
I don't argue it's a good game for what it is, but I don't believe it deserves to be in the pantheon of mainline FF games. Missing too many FF things. The combat begins to click and it's fun and pretty game. Good story, but so much story. It really feels like a Sony First Party title in the vein of God of War. Great for western audiences, so will see how it does in Japan.

BaneIsPain

I am really curious what Japanese players think of the game. Is it too linear for their liking? to dark? to adult? It still has a Kupo. Will this game have legs and word of mouth is the question.
I don't argue it's a good game for what it is, but I don't believe it deserves to be in the pantheon of mainline FF games. Missing too many FF things. The combat begins to click and it's fun and pretty game. Good story, but so much story. It really feels like a Sony First Party title in the vein of God of War. Great for western audiences, so will see how it does in Japan.

seems fine I guess.
6eCYAh7.png

Top Bottom