• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Remastered Announced + Trailer. Release Slated for January 2024

Ozriel

M$FT
TLOU2 is coming in with added content though.

And you’re talking about emulation and fps boosts for BC to this?

You can already play TLOu2 at 60 fps… it was a free patch…

And can we just get down to the real point here, which is Xbox has to fight a lot harder for interest and eye balls. It makes sense that they gotta move their asses and offer stuff the competition isn’t otherwise might as well shut down the whole gig, because otherwise nobody is buying their shit. This is the kind of stuff that is dictated by the market.

You aren’t entitled to free shit. People who bought a dvd aren’t entitled to the blu ray. “Give me 4K criterion for free bro” Jesus Christ. Some gamers are entitled kids.

I made a post answering a question. It is factual that some others have offered significant upgrades for free. Others have also charged for it, eg the Ultimate editions of Control, Outer Worlds and DMC5.

I also have a post in this thread saying I was going to pay the $10 for the upgrade.

Learn to read, I guess?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If it was a $10 DLC just for survival mode no one would complain.

But $10 for survival mode, remastered graphics and the other stuff and people get mad. Funny how that works.

"I. MUST. COMPLAIN."

giphy.gif

zapper

welcome this upgrade
but... god knows how much I would like something "new" from nd, even a sequel to uncharted would be fine for me (not the best). the dream would be a new ip or a new jad (which is probably no longer in the studio's range unfortunately).
I hope there will be news in 2024, Neil Druckmann had already made an appointment for factions in late 2023 but from the reports released in recent months it seems to be in dire straits and postponed...
what a situation, normally one would agree that they should take all the time necessary, but here both they and the fanbase need a new concrete announcement. (possibly not tlou3 imo)

Ozriel

M$FT
welcome this upgrade
but... god knows how much I would like something "new" from nd, even a sequel to uncharted would be fine for me (not the best). the dream would be a new ip or a new jad (which is probably no longer in the studio's range unfortunately).
I hope there will be news in 2024, Neil Druckmann had already made an appointment for factions in late 2023 but from the reports released in recent months it seems to be in dire straits and postponed...
what a situation, normally one would agree that they should take all the time necessary, but here both they and the fanbase need a new concrete announcement. (possibly not tlou3 imo)

They released a AAA game in 2020, and games take years to make. Not to mention COVID repeated disruptions and work on Frontiers.

we’ll probably hear more from them in 2024, but it’s perfectly reasonable if it takes them until 2025 for their next title.

It took Guerrilla and Sony Santa Monica 4.5 years to make sequels to Horizon and GOW. It’s not so far fetched to expect the same for a whole new AAA IP.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That's not really a fair comparison. Hate it or love it, R* has at least been doing a lot of content for Online. And GTA VI will most probably be out in the next 2 years.

I mean I love Naughty Dog, but given their MP project is in development hell, when are we even going to see a new SP game from them? Are they even going to announce anything about new projects in the next 2 years? I sure hope so, because it's getting ridiculous.

Game development takes time and that's what most people are ignoring.

Where's Sucker Punch's new game? Bend Studio? God of War was released in 2018, and God of War Ragnarok was released in 2022. Horizon Zero Dawn in 2017 and Horizon Forbidden West in 2022.

As much as I want a new SP game, I can understand that game development takes time and they were forced to delay Factions Multiplayer. If it's this time next year and we don't hear anything from Naughty Dog, then yeah, I would be a bit worried.

It ain't even about the cost you clowns, it's a 3 year old game that can still be played on current gen hardware. Next we'll have Returnal remastered

Edit - They could have released the new mode as DLC and patched the rest

Last edited:

Venuspower

While I see your point, I wouldn't categorize the extra content for GTAO as standard stand alone games.
Of course, they are not standalone games either. But the image act as if Rockstar has only been working on RDR2 since 2013 and has done nothing else. But that is factually wrong. In the end, the work on the DLCs for GTA Online has also tied up the same resources that a standalone expansion etc. would have.

Also, I disagree. I believe very well the image is worthy of displaying how Rockstar has lost its touch in these modern times.

Rockstar has hit an absolute nerve with GTA Online. I can still remember the "good old days" when my friends and I played GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas etc. and we always passed the controller around so that everyone could have a go. The MP in GTA IV was pretty good, but with GTA Online, Rockstar released the MP that my friends and I (and I'm sure many others) always wanted. The MP hit like a bomb for a reason. You can see that Rockstar was also surprised by the fact that they were originally actively working on SP content. But then they put the resources into the MP. So what should ultimately have been the SP DLCs was gradually transformed into content for GTA Online. The success proves Rockstar absolutely right with their decisions. Whether you like them or not.

However, observe their track record from 1999 to 2012. They used to have a consistent streak of varied, risky, creatively rich and experimental works.

This is actually not a Rockstar-specific phenomenon. Rather, it is a symbol of the state of the modern gaming industry in general. Incidentally, the film industry is in a similar situation. The cost of producing games and films has risen massively in recent years. If a product flops, this can now have massive consequences for companies. Companies are now faced with a decision:

1. Do we take a risk and develop something completely new?
2. Do we rely on existing, successful IPs and expand them?

Most companies opt for the second point. That is why there is a new COD every year, >13 parts of Assassin's Creed and so on and so forth. There is no doubt that this is not a free ticket to success. But the risk is simply lower, as there is already a fanbase that buys the garbage anyway, so that in the worst-case scenario you might get away with a +/- 0 profit/loss.

As mentioned earlier, in the film industry, it is the same problem 1:1. Disney took a risk back then with Pirates of the Caribbean when they made a movie about a theme park attraction. Nowadays, that is no longer conceivable. No company would take the risk. That is why Marvel, Star Wars etc. are milked to the max.

It all gets even more exciting when we look at how the film industry now earns (or, more precisely, does not earn) its money. Every studio now thinks it has to launch its own streaming service. It is just stupid that at some point people do not want to subscribe to 1000 providers who have to raise their prices every time, only to still not make a profit. The number of people going to the movies is also steadily decreasing, the sale of physical media has been constantly sabotaged by the studios for years anyway and here we are. This is all a huge bubble that will probably last for a long time. The video game industry is threatened with the same fate sooner or later. In my opinion, there is no getting around another video game crash.

But so much for that topic. I think that Rockstar is really making the best of the situation here. At least they have not fallen as low as other studios/publishers that are rigorously draining their IPs. While they also rely on “old” IPs. At least they take the time to create a really good product. And if the success of GTA Online helps them to be able to finance the development of the other projects accordingly, that's something positive from my point of view.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm in Australia and it is valid so I'm going to assume it's fine in Europe. Australia usually way down the list for things like this

Last question, do you think this thing is retroactive? Like do i get point for all the shit i played on my ps5?

Thanks.

Reward points. Cash them in for wallet funds. Free upgrade.

Yep 👍

For those that don't know how it works :
- You get points for spending money / buying games on the PSN store
- Each month you get 2 "challenges" like "play one of the new PS plus games" (50 points) and/or " play this MP game" (which are usually free ones from the catalogue, another 50 points).
It's 100 free points each month just for those 2 basically.

- There's also another 50 points to be gained via the "Buy one of this month's games" (new releases)

Not a bad deal

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm in Australia and it is valid so I'm going to assume it's fine in Europe. Australia usually way down the list for things like this
Well, you guys compensate for that by being ahead in time and seeing things of the future a few hours before Americans and Europeans do, so ...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yep 👍

For those that don't know how it works :
- You get points for spending money / buying games on the PSN store
- Each month you get 2 "challenges" like "play one of the new PS plus games" and/or " play this MP game" (which are usually free ones from the catalogue).
It's 100 free points each month just for those 2 basically.

Not a bad deal
Yeah, I'm currently at $43 (USD) now.

Druckmann making a new game isnt concerning to me. That's what I expect from him.

Though I suspect TLOU franchise is getting Mario / Halo (X360 era) treatment with a lot of releases.

Someone definitely informed Sony that sticking with franchises is how you build and grow a long lasting franchise.

So i suspect a remake of this remaster has to be on cards.

But you think he would rather do the remake than a new game. That's the issue they don't need Druckman to do a TLOU2 remake.

The fear is still strong in you.

Last edited:

Elios83

Didn't expect this so soon, they're really shortening the marketing cycles for their games.
Seems like a lot of improvements and extra contents for 10$ so I'm in.

I feel like an old cynic, but is there really enough here to warrant a full remaster?

It's not even that old, and looks great on PS4 and ps5 anyway, so how much can they really improve the visuals?

Load times, granted, and some extra fluff is all well and good...but, this new "rogue like" mode aside, is anything else that interesting?

I guess, as it should, the market will decide.

At least I can upgrade for a tenner if it really is that worthy of attention.

A2una1

Well, yeah. When I upgrade my GPU all my games scale to the new hardware. I know it’s not possible on console by default but that’s what I mean by game preservation for first party. Nobody wants to play fucking Bloodborne in 720p and 30FPS on PS5. Again, a random dude in his basement did more to preserve this game than Sony.

That should be the bare minimum. If they want to charge for extra game modes or whatever, why not.
Funny how no one seems to ask for a demon's souls pc release...

Remember when ND made games, or DLC or Multiplayer? Good times.

This is akin touting the PS4 ports of Uncharted as their mainline content. This is what they're announcing for 2024, meaning anything actually new is minimum 2025 and that seems very optimistic (or copetimistic) now.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, at least we have some idea of what sonys first party output for q1 2024 is gonna be...hopefully this is the start of some great announcements.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Burgess Meredith Meme GIF

wanted to play thru again but couldn’t bring myself to play a ps4 game on the ps5. Was waiting for pc release but this is great too.

Ozriel

M$FT
That's not really a fair comparison. Hate it or love it, R* has at least been doing a lot of content for Online. And GTA VI will most probably be out in the next 2 years.

I mean I love Naughty Dog, but given their MP project is in development hell, when are we even going to see a new SP game from them? Are they even going to announce anything about new projects in the next 2 years? I sure hope so, because it's getting ridiculous.

So you’re wiling to cut Rockstar slack for not making a new SP game due to work on MP modes, but not willing to give any slack to Naughty Dog even when you admit they too had been working on a full featured AAA multiplayer title?

Reaseru

One thing that I didn't quite undertood....the so called "lost levels" are now integrated in story mode in this remaster, or are just a extra feature to explore?

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
youre tripping if you dont think a pc release is coming too
it probably is coming but at this point it's not.
That way or another - PC ports are not selling that well outside of few ones.
Last of Us is obviously one of better selling ports. It was relatively new (remake) and in line with show that boosted sales.
But it got still pirated to hell and back and most other sony ports flopped.

What I am saying is - I don't think the sales of ports to pc are worth the PS brand damage.
Now you have pc gamers who maybe were on the brink of getting ps5 some day. You know, not for one or two games. but once you have 5-10 games? sure, this stuff accumulates and probability of pc gamer getting a ps5 is rising with each exclusive. But Jim ruined it. He might sell 50 copies of uncharted 4 but that uncharted 4 is no longer ps exclusive that adds to the pile of "maybe it's worth to get it".

tl;dr selling pc ports of exclusives is very short sighted revenue and in the long term damages the brand. Look at xbox.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
it probably is coming but at this point it's not.
That way or another - PC ports are not selling that well outside of few ones.
Last of Us is obviously one of better selling ports. It was relatively new (remake) and in line with show that boosted sales.
But it got still pirated to hell and back and most other sony ports flopped.

What I am saying is - I don't think the sales of ports to pc are worth the PS brand damage.
Now you have pc gamers who maybe were on the brink of getting ps5 some day. You know, not for one or two games. but once you have 5-10 games? sure, this stuff accumulates and probability of pc gamer getting a ps5 is rising with each exclusive. But Jim ruined it. He might sell 50 copies of uncharted 4 but that uncharted 4 is no longer ps exclusive that adds to the pile of "maybe it's worth to get it".

tl;dr selling pc ports of exclusives is very short sighted revenue and in the long term damages the brand. Look at xbox.

The PC gamer who buys a console for 5 exclusives is useless to Sony. Never gonna buy 3rd party games on console. Never gonna pay for cloud saves and online multiplayer. It’s smart business IMO and seems Sony execs agree.

Gotta tip my hat to Jimbo and Hermen.

s-l400.jpg

Thirty7ven

Banned
I made a post answering a question. It is factual that some others have offered significant upgrades for free. Others have also charged for it, eg the Ultimate editions of Control, Outer Worlds and DMC5.

I also have a post in this thread saying I was going to pay the $10 for the upgrade.

Learn to read, I guess?

I was replying to the quoted post, not to your post history.

rofif

Banned
The PC gamer who buys a console for 5 exclusives is useless to Sony. Never gonna buy 3rd party games on console. Never gonna pay for cloud saves and online multiplayer. It’s smart business IMO and seems Sony execs agree.

Gotta tip my hat to Jimbo and Hermen.

s-l400.jpg
maybe so maybe.
But that's always a console sale and few games.
my pc 4080 tripple screen, 5k$ racing rig buddy just got a new ps5 + gran turismo. He already dipped in blodoborne, sm2 and got becasue " welll I have it now, so might just as well".
If gt7 was on pc, souny would only get paid for gt7.
But since he had to get ps5 for it, he will be paying ps+, bought the hardware and already few games. That's exactly how it works

Embearded

I don't get why people complain about the price or the existence of the product itself.

No one is forcing you to buy it, it's 10$ dor extra content, not just better graphics.
Also, having people working on the upgrades for this game doesn't necessarily mean they are not working on something else. Development has a pipeline of different stages and not everyone in the studio is always busy developing stuff for the next game.

Top Bottom