• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remake Gameplay has leaked

Ellery

Leaks are getting weird these days.

I haven't looked at any leaked material so far, but I have read a lot of comments here and it seems like things are not looking good for this game. So the only thing I've seen of the game so far was the summer event trailer.

If the comments and fears I've read plenty of today are reflective of what the final retail product post release looks like then I am pretty disappointed, but like with all games I'll wait for the final product, unofficial third party reviews, general consensus amongst people playing this game who I'd consider somewhat objective, etc.

I don't preorder games usually and I haven't preordered TLOU Part I so if the end product doesn't hold on to the standards that I expect Naughty Dog to set for themselves then it will be tough to expect people in a tough economic environment to buy this product.

Fbh

Looks ok. I guess it will be fine for big fans and people on PC who never played the original, it will probably sell really well too.

To me it still feels like a massive waste of time and resources and overall a really disappointing project given that it's a $70 next gen only game launching 2 years into the console cycle. At least Sony confirmed we are also getting Ragnarok this year so this becomes easier to ignore, it's a shame though that that game had to be held back by Ps4 hardware but this thing that doesn't look better than TLOU2 is a Ps5 exclusive.

When I thought about $70 next gen games I was picturing more than a Ps3 game with ps4 graphics and cut content.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

There is no way around it 70 $ is the price of full new game

Game needs to have TLOU part ll gameplay mechanics ( prone, dodge )
Enhance encounters ( verticality, wider areas, adding bushes to prone and hide )

New animations

Only then it will deserve 70$

Strategize

That's a big of a disingenuous destruction, it's not just merely changing colors of a room but changing the visual story telling to look more favorable for the Fireflies.

So TLOU2 is at odds with itself.
No one with even a remotely normal mindset is gonna look at the color of the room and have it affect their opinion on Joel's actions, it's such an absurd reach.

And secondly no, it's not at odds with itself, Joel is perfectly capable of feeling a little useasy about his choice because of how he knows Ellie will feel about it (hence why the lie exists in the first place), whilst also deep down knowing he'd still do the same thing again anyway. This isn't a black and white, "well he said/did this therefore he must one dimensonally never show any kind of internal conflict about it whatsoever".

Last edited:

Moses85

Complaining about TLOU P1 and buying Fifa every year, again and again.

Funny Face Dog GIF

Ulysses 31

No one with even a remotely normal mindset is gonna look at the color of the room and have it affect their opinion on Joel's actions, it's such an absurd reach.
Indeed because there's more than the color that changed in the room and to just describe it that way is disingenuous.
And secondly no, it's not odds with itself, Joel is perfectly capable of feeling a little useasy about his choice because of how knows Ellie will feel about it (hence why the lie exists in the first place), whilst also deep down knowing he'd still do the same thing again anyway. This isn't a black and white, "well he said/did this therefore he must one dimensonally never show any kind of internal conflict about it whatsoever".
Yes but then you'd have to acknowledge it is very likely a retcon from the first game where it's not so clear that he feels any regret/remorse.

MarkyG

The whole Ellie "there's no need to be upset" meme has me PMSL. This is why I love the Internet (mostly). :D

Corndog

Banned
It's not low effort, they spent at least two years on it fully remaking the graphics at the very least in TLOU2 quality (which is a gen ahead of the TLOU PS4 remaster) plus all the new PS5 specific features (Dualsense support, 3D audio) and the new accessibility features.
Right now it's just not clear how many gameplay improvements are there (and it's better to wait for ND to prove their point rather than making conclusions based on 5 minutes of leaked footage).
If some people don't feel 70$ is a fair price for this kind of work they can wait until they can find a deal at a lower price or even better until it's added on PS+.
If most people actually agree with this sentiment then the game won't stay at 70$ for long.
But quite frankly I see a lot of bullshit going around, people asking for everything and its opposite, as I said at first no one wanted to play this game and Naughty Dog shouldn't have wasted any resources on it and now they all want to play it but with the full TLOU2 gameplay :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: (which would mean to force the team to fully work on this project at a FF7R scale to rework all the levels to accomodate the gameplay changes). The game is still a side project.
You yourself said it’s not a big scope project. Make up your mind.

Look guys let's just wait and see.

WE will know shortly right now everyone is guessing and getting upset off half info.

Maybe there is no dodge, maybe there is no prone. That doesn't necessarily mean gameplay hasn't been revamped.

Naughty Dog have said gameplay and AI revamped so there is little reason to distrust that right now.

There will be gameplay trailers and deep dives before release, it makes sense to wait for these before getting upset or annoyed.

Last edited:

Stooky

Considering they hid the gameplay, and were vague about the gameplay changes, leading some to believe it would have TLOU2 mechanics, I very much agree. I feel $50 would’ve been stretching it, even if you don’t include the lack of MP.
Hid the gameplay? They’ve released one teaser trailer, Calm down.

Strategize

Indeed because there's more than the color that changed in the room and to just describe it that way is disingenuous.

Yes but then you'd have to acknowledge it is very likely a retcon from the first game where it's not so clear that he feels any regret/remorse.
It's blatanly obvious even in the OG the internal conflict comes from how Ellie would feel about it. It's obvious when Marlene says it, and it's obvious when he lies to Ellie in the car. All the updated model does is reinforce the intended subtext of the scene, the "correct" interpretation so to speak.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
agreed. If its simply put in a new engine, new models and using the PS5 controller features, I can't see it going past a few million.

If it indeed used the new AI from The Last Of Us 2, all the gameplay features, then maybe I can see a 30 million type thing, if if those leaks are true, then I think 5 million or so is far to say thats likely what this cost. Its a very odd choice to even keep that dated gameplay. So more then enough is done that its out of the realm of a remaster as its not simple a resolution and frame bump, but gameplay features are not put to The Last Of Us 2 standards either ala RE2, RE3 or Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes.

So...this would still be a remake, simply lessor in some areas, more in other areas. From what I can see, in those leaks, this makes more sense for $50 or even $40 then it does $70 as clearly its not 100% everything that is changed. My only issue with The Last Of Us 1 really was the gameplay, with no prone and many of those Last Of Us 2 features missing, this has now become a wait for a sale and or buy used. (I have no issue with those who wish to buy it day 1 and I'd still recommended it to those who never played the first as by default this would be the one to play imho)

Its like, so we waiting till PS6 to play The Last Of Us 1 remake of remake with The Last Of Us 2 features? By then folks will question why it didn't use The Last Of Us 3 features lol

Coming soon, the Last of us complete collection - $154.99! Complete with new gameplay for both games! :messenger_winking_tongue:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm already well aware of that subreddit, these are same people that think changing an operating room from green to blue destorys the entire story, like genuine mental illness type shit.

That’s not mental illness, if you did Media Studies at college or university level you would know that that sort of subliminal messaging is genuine and deliberate and science based. You thinking they’ve changed it on a whim or for the lulz is hilarious.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Look guys let's just wait and see.

WE will know shortly right now everyone is guessing and getting upset off half info.

Maybe there is no dodge, maybe there is no prone. That doesn't necessarily mean gameplay hasn't been revamped.

Naughty Dog have said gameplay and AI revamped so there is little reason to distrust that right now.

There will be gameplay trailers and deep dives before release, it makes sense to wait for these before getting upset or annoyed.

Doesn't matter, they're clinically obsessed over some non contextualized leak. And when they end up wrong in a few weeks, they'll somehow swear it was Sony/ND fault.

Elios83

You yourself said it’s not a big scope project. Make up your mind.

Those who have to make up their minds are those who can't decide if they don't want to play this game no one asked for or if they wanted it to be Naughty Dog's next big main project :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The game is what it is. A full graphical remake supporting all new PS5 features with some gameplay improvements (to be clarified by ND and not through a leak).
It's clearly and absolutely not low effort but at the same time it has obviously not the scope of a FF7R like remake where all levels are changed and whole new gameplay mechanics are introduced.

Stooky

That’s not mental illness, if you did Media Studies at college or university level you would know that that sort of subliminal messaging is genuine and deliberate and science based. You thinking they’ve changed it on a whim or for the lulz is hilarious.
it’s just color theory. Colors make you feel a certain way. Thats general artist knowledge. People read way to much into some of these things.

Looks ok. I guess it will be fine for big fans and people on PC who never played the original, it will probably sell really well too.

To me it still feels like a massive waste of time and resources and overall a really disappointing project given that it's a $70 next gen only game launching 2 years into the console cycle. At least Sony confirmed we are also getting Ragnarok this year so this becomes easier to ignore, it's a shame though that that game had to be held back by Ps4 hardware but this thing that doesn't look better than TLOU2 is a Ps5 exclusive.

When I thought about $70 next gen games I was picturing more than a Ps3 game with ps4 graphics and cut content.
The PC release is likely the biggest reason for this remake existing, it'll be a lot easier to market the game with modern graphics than it would be an 8 year old remaster of a PS3 game. If they did this for PC and not for PS5 people would be complaining as well and I don't agree that it's a waste of resources. They likely have people who are either not working on the MP project or the other project that's still quite early so better to have them work on something that will bring in more money than do busy work. I'm sure a lot of things were outsourced as well as is the norm these days. I'm going to buy it, I love the first game and when I played TLOU2 I kept wishing I'd be able to play the first game again with at least that level of fidelity, now we can but it'll look even better. The NPC faces in this remake look better than TLOU2.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
They're doubling down, interesting.

Not really, it's what they've been saying from day 1. What's much more interesting and quite pathetic is how people jump to the most asinine conclusions based on the leak of a vertical slice and are stupid enough to equate to final build. As if they don't understand the most basic of processes for game development. If your conclusion doesn't make much sense, ("Durrrr this looks worse than PS4") then maybe there's a reason as to why. Be better, folks.

Bragr

Banned
Surprised that people are defending that better animations and environments are gonna greatly enhance this game.

The level of animation in the original game is so high that the extra details will not amount to significantly better storytelling. The only people that are gonna care are the ones who line the games up side by side and compare.

If you played through this first in 2013 or in 2022, the end experience is likely gonna amount to the same thing.

If they wanted to improve the story, they should scrap the part where you play as Ellie (in combat).

Strategize

This kind of subtle subliminal messaging vs the actual huge serious character defining actions presented in the scene.

No amount of subliminal color changing is gonna change someones mind on Joel being a hero to pyschopath or anywhere in-between, like I said the actions themsleves are simply too big and take up too much thought proccess for that, therefore the only people it would work on in this specfic scene are young children or the mentally ill, who are simply incapable of thinking through no fault of their own. For devloped minds it would take another pespective like Abby, her father or Marlene for example, actual new infomation.

Last edited:

radewagon

I disagree with this statement completely. Color is very important in eliciting certain emotions. The original scene had the doctors in green. Green is a very clinical color. It helps create some distance between the player and Joel. The new coloring of the scrubs, and the scene itself, are far less jarring and threatening in appearance. In the first version, we get the impression that Joel had interrupted something that was wrong. In the new one, he has interrupted something more neutral. Is it a huge shift in our understanding of the events? No. But it is a shift nonetheless.

M7TLCCb.jpg

TLDR; Color is an important narrative device and ND would know how to effectively use it.

Strategize

I disagree with this statement completely. Color is very important in eliciting certain emotions. The original scene had the doctors in green. Green is a very clinical color. It helps create some distance between the player and Joel. The new coloring of the scrubs, and the scene itself, are far less jarring and threatening in appearance. In the first version, we get the impression that Joel had interrupted something that was wrong. In the new one, he has interrupted something more neutral. Is it a huge shift in our understanding of the events? No. But it is a shift nonetheless.

M7TLCCb.jpg

TLDR; Color is an important narrative device and ND would know how to effectively use it.
Read my post above yours.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Nobody is a bit of a stretch, there's a reddit on the changes in P2's prologue.

P2 Prologue changes

rieunkmfsni71.png

It's funny how they used a screenshot from the first game in an attempt to fit their narrative.

CSgR2LY.png

This is the actual comparing scene with the same facial expression in TLOU 2. Joel looks in the same direction in both shots.

Adam's Apple Jump
"The Adam's-apple-jump is an unconscious sign of emotional anxiety, embarrassment, or stress. At a business meeting

This is what happens during the cutscene in TLOU 1 right before he tells Ellie the lie. He didn't regret his decision, and neither was this depicted in the prologue of the second game. If it was then that would made the final cutscene with Joel merely pointless.

PanzerAzel

How disappointing, I was looking forward to this, but thanks to the leaker for saving me my dollar.

TLoU II’s combat is a significant improvement over the original…..not only mechanics wise, but also in the conveyance of the visceral and brutal nature of violence. Had this used TLoU II’s combat engine, that would have been the determining factor for value proposition to me. I would’ve spent $70.

If it’s the same as the original (as it appears to be, contrary to their marketing and assertions), that’s a no-go. How could they keep the combat exactly the same?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Because it is the only thing we have to base our assumptions upon. Are you suggesting we ban all discussion of this leak?

No, you have the description of what the game will offer straight from the developers. It's the list you marked as false, point by point.

And what exactly do you think you're seeing in the video? Final build? What's the context? Or does context not matter?

It's not like we are discussing some Shepshal rumor with no source. This is the source. As long as we point out that this might not be the final version, there is nothing wrong with discussing what we know so far.

You know this isn't how the world works. And again, what exactly do you think you know?

"This may not be true but HOLY SHIT WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE TOMORROW!!!!"

Ulysses 31

It's blatanly obvious even in the OG the internal conflict comes from how Ellie would feel about it. It's obvious when Marlene says it, and it's obvious when he lies to Ellie in the car. All the updated model does is reinforce the intended subtext of the scene, the "correct" interpretation so to speak.
The prologue leaves out information painting Joel as the sole aggressor and making the Fireflies more believable in their goals. And then changing his expression to clearly be more regretful on top of that is what makes it disingenuous.
It's funny how they used a screenshot from the first game in an attempt to fit their narrative.

CSgR2LY.png

This is the actual comparing scene with the same facial expression in TLOU 2. Joel looks in the same direction in both shots.

Adam's Apple Jump
"The Adam's-apple-jump is an unconscious sign of emotional anxiety, embarrassment, or stress. At a business meeting

This is what happens during the cutscene in TLOU 1 right before he tells Ellie the lie. He didn't regret his decision, and neither was this depicted in the prologue of the second game. If it was then that would made the final cutscene with Joel merely pointless.
TLOU2 Joel still clearly looks regretful which is not something I can say of Joel in that screenshot.

Hestar69

It’s not going to be on PS+ day 1 since they never talked about that, would piss of their most loyal fans since they already preordered it.
Yeah I doubt it will either maybe in a year..I'll wait until then to play it,already beat it 4 times in no hurry to replay it atm.

EruditeHobo

…so, just mindlessly accept whatever practises video game companies undertake, no matter if they are cynical or exploitative?

Healthy.

You can do whatever you want, no one can stop you from publicly having shitty opinions and then doubling down on them on an internet forum.

But don't expect anyone else to be able to pretend that talk suggesting that they aren't properly marketing this game and they have "something to prove" is in any way mindful -- it's much closer to the opposite. For a bunch of obvious reasons.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Hid the gameplay? They’ve released one teaser trailer, Calm down.
Has it gone gold? Is it up for pre-order? So why not show the gameplay? They even said it has “modern gameplay”.

Seems like they want to mislead people. No reason to not show gameplay of a remake that is already finished, especially when asking for $70.

You need to relax, buddy. No reason to get so bent out of shape. You can still have do a midnight countdown and be hyped to pay full price for this.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

He looks the same way in the cutscene that I shared, so you're saying he was regretful in the first game too.
I don't think he looks the same, the eyes in 2 lean much into him being regretful and the eyes in 1 don't do that IMO.

Personally I don't think he regrets all the killing to save Ellie, I think he lies because he wants to spare Ellie's feelings though IMO I think he has the truth on his side so I don't think the lie is necessary to keep up for years.

ManaByte

Maybe the leak is not public facing assets we were supposed to see, I.e., not a final build?

Nah he means officially released screenshots, videos, etc go through a lot of people to approve them to make sure they're making the game look as good as it can, while raw gameplay uploaded to Streamable doesn't.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't think he looks the same, the eyes in 2 lean much into him being regretful and the eyes in 1 don't do that IMO.

Personally I don't think he regrets all the killing to save Ellie, I think he lies because he wants to spare Ellie's feelings though IMO I think he has the truth on his side so I don't think the lie is necessary to keep up for years.
He's literally looking in the same direction. The comparison shots you shared are completely different. But like I said earlier. It even explained during the final cutscene that Joel didn't have regret because he would do it all over again. So you guys are completely reaching.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah he means officially released screenshots, videos, etc go through a lot of people to approve them to make sure they're making the game look as good as it can, while raw gameplay uploaded to Streamable doesn't.
I think it can mean either/or, and comes down to how one wants to interpret it. Not like the game won’t be in people’s hands prior to release for reviews.

Corndog

Banned
Those who have to make up their minds are those who can't decide if they don't want to play this game no one asked for or if they wanted it to be Naughty Dog's next big main project :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The game is what it is. A full graphical remake supporting all new PS5 features with some gameplay improvements (to be clarified by ND and not through a leak).
It's clearly and absolutely not low effort but at the same time it has obviously not the scope of a FF7R like remake where all levels are changed and whole new gameplay mechanics are introduced.
So not low effort, and not big scope like ff7r. So why does it cost the same as ff7r?

SpokkX

There is no way around it 70 $ is the price of full new game

Game needs to have TLOU part ll gameplay mechanics ( prone, dodge )
Enhance encounters ( verticality, wider areas, adding bushes to prone and hide )

New animations

Only then it will deserve 70$
This is what i expected for 70$

Especially since they hinted at it…

Top Bottom