• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

CassSept

sphinx said:
but in general not too dissimliar to call them "light years apart"
Wait wha-

I only saw kokiri forest and deku tree temple so that's my reference, maybe I should pay more to see more (meaningful) differences.
OH, it kind of makes sense, but only slightly. OoT and OoT3D ARE light years apart. Better models, AA/3D, far superior framerate. Apart from some awkward animations, when it comes to graphics OoT 3D is so superior in nearly every aspect that whoever thinks otherwise must have not played the original Ocarina for years and have distorted image of how it looked. Cause compared to 3DS remake it is atrocious.

But the graphics really are light years apart, to anyone who hasn't been blinded by more than a decade of happy, nostalgic thoughts:

rZDRY.jpg

Credit to siliconera

Arguments about the controls are fine, but there were several improvements made to the game -- both noticeable and unnoticeable. As far as I'm concerned, it's the definitive version of Ocarina of Time. This isn't really new; we had these debates with the portable ports of Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger, and both ports were fantastic. Change is OK sometimes!

Mistle

Anybody who says the original OoT looks better than the 3DS version must be crazy or blinded by nostalgia. Apart from the very rare bad lighting choices and camera angles, the graphics/character models are incredibly improved.

Refer to screens above for proof. I really don't see how this can be debated. And this is coming from somebody whose favourite videogame franchise is Zelda.

Duki

Banned
i dont think anyone means the technical quality

we mean the colours

in the remake they are garish and far too bright

the original is subdued and almost realistic

people prefer this

all of the original screens you just posted look a tonne better

Mistle

Duki said:

we mean the colours

people prefer this

In that sense then I guess there is charm in the original. I enjoy it also. But in my personal opinion, I feel the pros of the updated version far outweigh the cons.

Roto13

Ok, everything you say is wrong, but this in particular:
sphinx said:
In Oot 3D, Link moves slowly
shows that you haven't played Ocarina of Time in a very, very long time. They move at the same speed.

sphinx

the piano man
Fact = Ocarina of time 3DS looks better than Ocarina of Time N64 and no one put that on debate.

That being said, I personally don't think the N64 game looked bad, neither that the 3DS game showcases a 2011 cutting-edge technical achievement in regards to graphics, it's just a proper remake/port, nothing else. We have in this page the comparison brougth by secretmoblin and I don't see how can anyone say it's lights years apart.

does the 3DS game look better? Sure, no debate there.

are the 2 versions light years apart? (Think RE1 for ps1 and REmake for gamecube) fuck no.

Anth0ny

sphinx said:
are the 2 versions light years apart? (Think RE1 for ps1 and REmake for gamecube) fuck no.

Yeah. Unfortunately, there haven't been many remakes given the love and care REmake got. I kinda wish there were more...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Duki said:

we mean the colours

people prefer this

Mature Zelda duders! For realz.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
sphinx said:

That's actually a good comparison. Remake pushed the GameCube hard, but it only looks so good because of the pre-rendered backgrounds. Other GameCube games in Dolphin blow it out of the water (talking about its Dolphin version.)

Ocarina 3D is basically GameCube-level graphics, like Remake, versus the originals, which were a generation prior in technology. I wouldn't say the gap is as wide, but that's a testament to 1. the original RE looking absolutely hideous with no sense of art direction, unlike the original Ocarina, and 2. REmake pushing the GC as hard as it did, and using pre-rendered backgrounds as a way to cheat the tech.

In both cases we're talking about a single full generational leap in technology.

Just finishing up Minish Cap. This figurine stuff is complete bullshit. I hate slow crap like this in Zelda games. I'm obsessive about getting everything in Zeldas, and this shit is just murderously slow.

WillyFive

I get the complaints about the graphics. It's not much a technical argument (since the 3DS version has far better technicla graphics), but the art is what makes a game look good, and if they don't like the art, they won't like the graphics.

I still think Mario 64 looks better than Mario 64 DS, because the colors were muted and the lack of texture filtering made everything look rough. Sure, the DS version has more polygons and Bowser had a vastly improved character model, but the whole game looks like it was a heavily compressed JPEG, and I'm not talking about screenshots.

People can feel the same way about the changes in colors and saturation with Ocarina of Time. It gives the game a vastly different mood and tone, and those yellow-green walls are ugly.

sphinx

the piano man
Green Mamba said:
Just finishing up Minish Cap. This figurine stuff is complete bullshit. I hate slow crap like this in Zelda games. I'm obsessive about getting everything in Zeldas, and this shit is just murderously slow.

is this your first time going for a complete set of figurines?

there are ways to make it easier to complete, well, not as tedious. First off, you never give 99 shells in a single try...

here are some tips.

.- for the first 10-20 figurines, use only 1 shell.
.- afterwards put less, trying to always reach 60% of success probability. If you get repeated figurines, reset the game (press L+R+a+b)
.- Make sure to come back and get around 12-15 figurines after every dungeon. There are some treasure chests that give you 200 shells and you'll lose them all if you already have 999. That being said, never have more than 799 shells and open unsuspected chests, you'll regret it.
.- every time you get a new figurine after having invested a susbtantial amount of shells, save and then proceed to try your luck using 1 shell for a couple of times and you'll be getting some extra figurines even thougth probability is low. If you don't get any new figurines after 2 or 3 tries, then proceed to invest until you have 60%-70% probability, if successful, repeat with single shell tries, if unsuccessful, reset.
.- when you have like 5 or 4 missing figurines, grab the red ruppee out of Links house multiple times, until you can buy 90 shells (30x3) from the store and then go to the left field of Hyrule town and break blocks to get the extra 9 shells and get the missing figurines with 100% probabilty.

I hope that makes sense and help!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
Madness. There is no justification for being this wrong.

...tag quote time? :p

I wish Willy's tag was slightly less harsh, then I wouldn't feel guilty about invoking it so much.

Anth0ny

Willy105 said:
I still think Mario 64 looks better than Mario 64 DS, because the colors were muted and the lack of texture filtering made everything look rough. Sure, the DS version has more polygons and Bowser had a vastly improved character model, but the whole game looks like it was a heavily compressed JPEG, and I'm not talking about screenshots.

If you read the entire quote, he's actually right. N64 wannabe DS games looked like total ass.

21cd6ff1-1990-4621-bdbe-92d965654c2b.jpg

Models are better, but the game looks bad. Like a ps1 game or something.

sphinx said:
is this your first time going for a complete set of figurines?

there are ways to make it easier to complete, well, not as tedious. First off, you never give 99 shells in a single try...

here are some tips.

.- for the first 10-20 figurines, use only 1 shell.
.- afterwards put less, trying to always reach 60% of success probability. If you get repeated figurines, reset the game (press L+R+a+b)
.- Make sure to come back and get around 12-15 figurines after every dungeon. There are some treasure chests that give you 200 shells and you'll lose them all if you already have 999. That being said, never have more than 799 shells and open unsuspected chests, you'll regret it.
.- every time you get a new figurine after having invested a susbtantial amount of shells, save and then proceed to try your luck using 1 shell for a couple of times and you'll be getting some extra figurines even thougth probability is low. If you don't get any new figurines after 2 or 3 tries, then proceed to invest until you have 60%-70% probability, if successful, repeat with single shell tries, if unsuccessful, reset.
.- when you have like 5 or 4 missing figurines, grab the red ruppee out of Links house multiple times, until you can buy 90 shells (30x3) from the store and then go to the left field of Hyrule town and break blocks to get the extra 9 shells and get the missing figurines with 100% probabilty.

I hope that makes sense and help!
Thanks, but I figured out my own method of brute forcing the last few:

1. Buy Yellow Picolyte from Beedle for 200 Rupees.
2. Go to the large grasslands in the southern area of Trillby Highlands.
3. Drink Yellow Picolyte and then Great Spin through the grass to get tons of rupees.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 until at 999 Rupees.
5. Buy 120 Shells at shop in Hyrule Town, left with 199 Rupees.
6. Go to figurine shop and plunk down one Shell in order to almost assuredly get a repeat for the 5 Rupees to put Rupee count over 200 for later Picolyte purchasing.
7. Bet as many Shells as it takes for 100% for new figurine.
8. Repeat. As the amount of Shells required to hit 100% never goes over 100 Shells, purchasing 120 at the shop each time means that every five trips (or so) you get a second new figurine.

Took about four minutes for each figurine. I have no patience for save scumming and betting low. Randomized crap in Zelda is the worst. The worst. It didn't help that I didn't realize that there was a max number of shells you can carry until way late in the game after I had wasted a ton of free Shell chests.

By and large (now that I'm more or less done with the game), I think The Minish Cap is a mid-tier Zelda. I really like the overworld and dungeon exploring parts, but the game really could have used another dungeon or two--the dungeons are by far the highlights of the game. Too many of the items have far too limited functionality (Cane of Pacci...) or are gotten way too late for any significant use (Roc's Cape...). I really didn't care for the Kinstone fusion aspect--it reminded me of the Treasure Charts in The Wind Waker; a pointless middle man that allows the designers to cheap out on secret hiding.

And I really didn't like the unlocking of buildings, appearance of people, and the ability to fuse with certain people that arbitrary didn't open until certain points in the game with no indication. Repeatedly checking people to see if I could fuse Kinstones with them after doing something or attempting to enter buildings to see if they were arbitrarily opened got old really fast.

As a whole I feel that the core Zelda experience to The Minish Cap is very good, if unfortunately short. The side questing and such surrounding it, though, feel poorly thought out and overly reliant on a boring gimmick. Yeah, mid-tier Zelda feels about right.

Anth0ny

It's Halloween time. So, like an idiot, I decided to read that Majora's Mask creepy pasta. And it got me thinking...

The Elegy of Emptiness makes a statue of each of Link's forms in Majora's Mask. Each statue is pretty much an exact clone of the person each mask was created from (Deku Butler's son, Darmani, Mikau). Makes sense.

But wait, it doesn't.

Link_Statue.png

WHAT IS THAT

WHAT DOES IT MEAN

This fucking has thing creeped me out ever since it appeared in the Ikana throneroom all those years back when I first learned the Elegy of Emptiness. And quite frankly, it still does.

I really hope Majora's Mask gets released on 3DS now, so we can get an Iwata Asks interview.

Iwata: So, what drugs were you on while developing this game?

Aonuma: Acid. (laughs)

Iwata: (laughs)

senador

Banned
I can't believe some people prefer N64 OoT better. To each his own, but man OoT 3D is such a vast improvement on all aspects in my opinion. I'm itching to replay it. I also think 3D child Link looks better.

Jzero

Anth0ny said:
I really hope Majora's Mask gets released on 3DS now, so we can get an Iwata Asks interview.

Iwata: So, what drugs were you on while developing this game?

Aonuma: Acid. (laughs)

Iwata: (laughs)
:lol

KarmaCow

Roto13 said:
Ok, everything you say is wrong, but this in particular:
shows that you haven't played Ocarina of Time in a very, very long time. They move at the same speed.

It's probably because his new running animation looks like he's moving slower. Though the original animation is pretty crappy.

CassSept

Damn, why nobody ever told me that the final 1/3rd of Phantom Hourglass isn't as downright horrible as the beginning of the game, even more, that it actually is enjoyable?
I finally pushed myself through the game (now I'm at final fight) and the game actually gets much better. Dunno, maybe it's cause I'm on Zelda fever, but I'm actually enjoying the game. Especially the bosses, which are actually quite great (even if easy, but that didn't stop any 3D Zelda bosses from being memorable).

CassSept said:
Damn, why nobody ever told me that the final 1/3rd of Phantom Hourglass isn't as downright horrible as the beginning of the game, even more, that it actually is enjoyable?
I finally pushed myself through the game (now I'm at final fight) and the game actually gets much better. Dunno, maybe it's cause I'm on Zelda fever, but I'm actually enjoying the game. Especially the bosses, which are actually quite great (even if easy, but that didn't stop any 3D Zelda bosses from being memorable).
I think the whole game is "enjoyable" -- it's just not nearly as enjoyable as most other Zeldas, which is why it's (correctly) considered one of the lesser games in the franchise.

Although I didn't love either Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks, they do have some incredible boss fights. The battle against
Gragma
in the Fire Realm in Spirit Tracks, where you
circle him in a mine cart shooting at his weak points
is one of my all-time favorite battles in the franchise. It's not tough by any means, but it's fun.

CassSept

SecretMoblin said:
I think the whole game is "enjoyable" -- it's just not nearly as enjoyable as most other Zeldas, which is why it's (correctly) considered one of the lesser games in the franchise.

I'm not saying it ranks amongst best Zelda games, hell, it still is the worst Zelda game I've played, but that it is simply better than it is perceived and than what I've thought before making my way into the latter parts of the game. Some of the usages of the items were really interesting (grappling hook!).

It's not tough by any means, but it's fun.
While it's true that ridiculously hard parts are usually memorable, if there is something really well-designed it can still be great, even more so than these insanely hard parts. Look: Stallord in TP. The fight was piss easy but it was so fun that I'd rank it near the very top of the Best Zelda Bosses list.

Wiseblade

Anth0ny said:
If you read the entire quote, he's actually right. N64 wannabe DS games looked like total ass.

Models are better, but the game looks bad. Like a ps1 game or something.
I did real the whole post, and It's totally wrong. The only advantage the N64 version has graphically is the resolution. I am literally boggled at how anyone can play both and call the original graphically superior.

I really like the Spirit Tracks dungeons. Yes, they're short, and the theming is basically non-existent, but they do clever things with their items, the puzzles are interesting, and, as has been mentioned, the boss fights are excellent.

Shame about the overworld; Spirit Tracks could have been genuinely excellent.

CassSept said:
The final three dungeons in Phantom Hourglass are definitely the highlight of the game. Pity the items in the last three dungeons are used so sparingly once you get out of them.

Oxx

I'm never going to finish Xenoblade in time.

The real question though is whether or not to take the Wii away from the small SDTV I have been Xenoblading and use the LCD...

Rehynn

Oxx said:
I'm never going to finish Xenoblade in time.

The real question though is whether or not to take the Wii away from the small SDTV I have been Xenoblading and use the LCD...

Having seen Xenoblade on a rather large LCD, I say do it.

UltimateIke said:
New Hyrule is Old Hyrule?

D:

That's actually neat enough that they had to have done it on purpose, even if it doesn't mean anything.
They've done it since the beginning. Including old locations into new games are a neat little easter egg that they like to throw in (like all of LoZ's map being present in one tiny corner of AoL's map and Maze Island being present in both AoL and PH).

xf8ga9.jpg

(Like so)

Oxx

I think I'm almost done with Spirit Tracks.

I just closed the lid of the DS right at the start of what I assume to be the final boss.

The final act of this game has been such a bummer. The puzzle tower section was incredibly tedious. The
collect-the-light-crystal-to-smash-the-trains
bit was just plain annoying. What is the fascination this game has with one-hit = retry sequences? And the visual feedback was so poor that I didn't even know what I was supposed to be doing in
the battle with the big-ass train

Fingers crossed that the final battle isn't totally terrible...

Oxx

It's just the end of Spirit Tracks that is wearing me down. I remember quite enjoying the main part of the game back in 2009.

Oxx

Thank god my frustrated button-mashing revealed that you can skip the cutscenes in Spirit Tracks. This might make the last bit slightly less irritating.

Oxx

I guess it's kind of a shame that whenever Nintendo tries to do something different with a Zelda game it never quite fulfils the potential, but I think in the case of the DS games it is certain design decisions that held them back rather than the unwillingness of the fanbase to embrace change.

Oxx said:
I guess it's kind of a shame that whenever Nintendo tries to do something different with a Zelda game it never quite fulfils the potential, but I think in the case of the DS games it is certain design decisions that held them back rather than the unwillingness of the fanbase to embrace change.
Totally agree. There were plenty of interesting ideas in the DS games, but there were design issues that no amount of Nintendo polish could adequately address. It's simplistic and wrong to just say "gamers hate change", when plenty of us loved games like Adventure of Link, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker.

Top Bottom