• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Rehynn

SecretMoblin said:
...could it be? Someone who agrees with me? Amazing.

Actually, I prefer it to Phantom Hourglass, but Minish Cap was still very disappointing to me. Nice music, though.

We really are a minority, aren't we?:)

It felt too much like "beginner's Zelda" to me, a well-made compilation of popular characters and elements from previous games, with new ideas too few and underdeveloped to make it a truly great Zelda.

But yeah, the music was awesome, especially the Minish Village theme.

Roto13 said:
Minish Cap was basically the last Link to the Past style Zelda. I hope there's another one at some point.
I hope Nintendo didn't abandon the idea of sprite-based Zeldas with the DS. Hopefully the sales of Link's Awakening DX on the eShop will convince them to keep it going.

Willy105 said:
The DS Zelda are 2D Zelda's, but with 3D graphics and the use of the touch screen instead of a D-Pad for movement.
I always thought of them as being spiritual successors to AoL in that rather than an integrated over world like LoZ, you go from place to place on a map of sorts.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I always thought of them as being spiritual successors to AoL in that rather than an integrated over world like LoZ, you go from place to place on a map of sorts.
That's how I see them.

And besides, I'd still like to see more sprites.

Jasoco

Banned
I agree. Sprites can do a lot of awesome stuff when done right. I miss the sprite-based Zelda days. Minish Cap was awesome looking. I didn't really care for the DS Zelda look. I get it was trying to keep the WW look alive, but the games just lost something. I want WW look on a console and MC look on my handhelds.

Anth0ny

Andrex said:
Yeah, that would be Twilight Princess.

If you include all the remixes, I might have to agree.

But it's hard to choose just one. I love:

-LOZ/LTTP/MM/Minish Cap
-OOT
-Zelda II
-Wind Waker
-Twilight Princess

Can't wait to hear the Skyward Sword music. No, I haven't listened to anything yet.

CassSept

Roto13 said:
I looked at my last save file and I have 13 hearts in it. That's incredibly low for me in a Zelda game. That means I skipped practically everything optional, and I wasn't even making a point to do that last time.
But PH and ST have 16 hearts total and don't have any heart containers so 13 isn't really that low.

Roto13

CassSept said:
But PH and ST have 16 hearts total and don't have any heart containers so 13 isn't really that low.
Well I only glanced at it. If there are only 16 hearts, then I have 11, because I have three on the second row.

Raggytash

I've just watched the orchestrated Zelda main theme video on my 3ds and it's so fucking good.

can't wait to get the full cd in 12 days, fuck yeah!!!!

Now playing through Spirit Tracks for the first time. Just got the bridge made across to the Ocean Realm. It's pretty good, but the train, man, the train. Slow, boring, and fuck those grinning evil trains up the ass. They do nothing but make an obnoxious mechanic worse.

But everything around the train is good. Real good. The music is such a huge improvement over Phantom Hourglass (which I hope will never be dethroned as the Zelda with the worst overall soundtrack) that it isn't even funny.

Really puts into light how little of an excuse Phantom Hourglass has for its poor soundtrack.

Green Mamba said:
Now playing through Spirit Tracks for the first time. Just got the bridge made across to the Ocean Realm. It's pretty good, but the train, man, the train. Slow, boring, and fuck those grinning evil trains up the ass. They do nothing but make an obnoxious mechanic worse.

But everything around the train is good. Real good. The music is such a huge improvement over Phantom Hourglass (which I hope will never be dethroned as the Zelda with the worst overall soundtrack) that it isn't even funny.

Really puts into light how little of an excuse Phantom Hourglass has for its poor soundtrack.
Best dungeon music ever!
and by best I mean worst

Jasoco

Banned
ExMachina said:
Yes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442788

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/The+Leg...kuId=3540686&st=zelda skyward sword&lp=1&cp=1

Comes with a 25th Anniversary Concert CD too.

(it's sold out at Amazon, otherwise I'd have linked to it there)
Thanks! Damn Amazon sold out. I ordered. But I didn't want to pay $9 to ship it before Thanksgiving, so I got free shipping. Crossing my fingers it arrives swiftly rather than on Friday. I'd have done in-store pickup but none of my stores nearby were eligible! What?? Bah.

jwj442

So I started replaying Wind Waker to hold me over on Zelda until Skyward Sword comes out (I may or may not finish it), and WOW the first visit to Forsaken Fortress is annoying. Games really shouldn't do stealth if they don't have the robust mechanics to handle it. It does make me look forward to ransacking that place later though, so I guess it still accomplishes something good.

Windfall is a nice town though, isn't it? Easily the second-best in Zelda after Clock Town.

Anth0ny

Finished Minish Cap.

Time for my updated tier list:

God Tier:

Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time

High Tier:

Wind Waker
Zelda II
Link's Awakening
Link to the Past
Twilight Princess
Minish Cap
Oracle of Seasons

Mid Tier:

Four Swords Adventure
Zelda I
Four Swords Anniversary Ed.

Haven't played Tier:

Oracle of Ages
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks

For what it's worth, the order in which I completed each game:

Wind Waker
Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time
Twilight Princess
Link to the Past
Four Swords Adventures
Oracle of Seasons
Zelda I
Links' Awakening
Zelda II
Minish Cap

*bolded I played this year

That will do it for Zelda games until Skyward Sword. With MGS HD collection out tomorrow, Mario 3D Land Sunday and UMvC3 next week, I should have enough games to kill time with.

I keep forgetting about the community thread, haha.

Anybody do anything Zelda related for halloween? I dressed up as Link and handed out candy. One kid asked me if I was Peter Pan. Kids these days.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Not I... I've done a WW Link jack-o-lantern in the past, but this Halloween was mostly TF2 related for me. :p

Also, has everyone seen this?

CD04f.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451350

Ohhhhhhh God, I want one... even though I already bought a 3DS for OoT 3d.

watershed

Banned
If you have a 3ds open Nintendo Video, there's a new video of the Ballad of the Goddess being played by the Zelda orchestra, really cool.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Can we please make this thread a Skyward Sword spoiler-free thread? The review thread is getting dangeous.
I know, it was the only thread I could go into without spoiling myself much. Not so anymore...

Cranzor

I'm going to be playing Link to the Past in anticipation of Skyward Sword. I've played it before but I don't remember much and I never beat it. Does anybody have an idea of the length of the game?

Roto13

I was almost finished the fourth section of the Tower of Spirit in Spirit Tracks and the game froze. Since when do Zelda games freeze? Bah. I hate that.

Cranzor said:
I'm going to be playing Link to the Past in anticipation of Skyward Sword. I've played it before but I don't remember much and I never beat it. Does anybody have an idea of the length of the game?
Link to the Past was the first game where going out of your way could really extend the length of the game. If you just do a clean run-through, the game shouldn't take longer than, say, 15 hours or so.

Then again, I tend to take a very long time with games, so your mileage may vary.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Roto13 said:
Someone make a wallpaper from the part in that screensaver that's like that image they released a little while ago with all the Links.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32560690&postcount=33
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32562154&postcount=46

From the thread on the screensaver in Gaming.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451532

Also, for anyone wearing one of the avatars I made from the 25th anniversary image scan, let me know if you want it redone with the cleaner source from this screensaver and I can help you out.

Top Bottom