• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Okay can someone help me out. I get how OoT can lead to WW and I get how OoT can lead to TP. But what is this new OoT leads to ALTTP? How does Link fail and how does that connect OoT to ALTTP?

OoT Link failed to dye his hair pink so the Goddesses killed him off and got The Hero of Awesomeness to take his place.

CassSept

Damn that's sad. I guess the day had to come sooner or later.

Link dying and this leading into ALttP surprisingly somehow makes sense.

Anth0ny

UA6V9.jpg

Aww yeah.

Merry Christmas ZeldaGAF!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That DSLite looks so much better than the 3DS it's not even funny.

DS Lite and DSi are both very attractive. It's pretty obvious the 3DS was designed by starting with the DSi and making a couple parts less attractive, to make the eventual redesign seem a lot sleeker.

jwhit28

I just started playing Link's Awakening for the first time. Only Nintendo/Capcom Zelda game I haven't beaten besides Spirit Tracks.

I never knew how many Mario references there were besides chain chomp.
The music is right up there with any other Zelda game
The bosses talking with you during battle is a neat touch and gives them more character.
The overworld, dungeons, and bosses are really built for your full arsenal making every item seem useful
Like the Oracle games the overworld is just a huge set of puzzles and barriers, but they are designed in a way that you always know where you are going

My only dislikes are the messages every time I walk into a jar or rock and the fact that Nintendo didn't make X in to a shortcut for the START button on 3DS.

I just started playing Link's Awakening for the first time. Only Nintendo/Capcom Zelda game I haven't beaten besides Spirit Tracks.

I never knew how many Mario references there were besides chain chomp.
The music is right up there with any other Zelda game
The bosses talking with you during battle is a neat touch and gives them more character.
The overworld, dungeons, and bosses are really built for your full arsenal making every item seem useful
Like the Oracle games the overworld is just a huge set of puzzles and barriers, but they are designed in a way that you always know where you are going

My only dislikes are the messages every time I walk into a jar or rock and the fact that Nintendo didn't make X in to a shortcut for the START button on 3DS.

I love this. It's always great to hear first impressions of a game I played and loved so long ago.

:)

jwhit28

I love this. It's always great to hear first impressions of a game I played and loved so long ago.

:)

Yeah I guess I always associated it with Zelda and Zelda II the same way Super Mario Land is more like SMB1 not SMB3, so I figured one day I would just play it for completionist sake.

I was so wrong. It is a lot closer to A Link to the Past and what it lacks in LttP's scale and exploration it more than makes up for with its character and charm.

Mistle

(Click for bigger version) Here's a draft of a new artwork I'm working on. Before I start the final lineart and colours, does anybody have any comments/critisism? I'll be taking a break from it now for a few hours.
The background will be mainly clouds/sky, but I'll probably also draw some Skyloft houses and trees in a similar depth of field effect to the game :)

EDIT: Oh man, I just got a much better idea for Fi's pose... :D

EDIT: Added the new pose on the right.

ASIS

^^ Excellent job my friend!

I will say though, Link's lifted leg looks very two dimensional. There's no depth to it at all, maybe you could fix that?

Mistle

^^ Excellent job my friend!

I will say though, Link's lifted leg looks very two dimensional. There's no depth to it at all, maybe you could fix that?
Ah yes, you're right. I'll make the thigh overlap a bit more, but the depth will mainly come from shading. Looking at it now though, even the shoe looks a bit wonky lol. I'll also be fixing Fii's right leg- it's better but still I little off.

Thanks!

ASIS

Ah yes, you're right. I'll make the thigh overlap a bit more, but the depth will mainly come from shading. Looking at it now though, even the shoe looks a bit wonky lol. I'll also be fixing Fii's right leg- it's better but still I little off.

Thanks!

Well I have no idea about art so I don't know how you make this stuff :p. But really I think the proportions are spot on, and Fi's pose is much better on the right pic!

Keep it going, and be sure to post the final artwork!

Mistle

Well here's the finished lineart, after 2 days of work..

i82G7.jpg

I'm excited to start colours, but worried as I've kind of set my personal standards higher than any of my past artworks lol.

Xun

Well here's the finished lineart, after 2 days of work..

i82G7.jpg

I'm excited to start colours, but worried as I've kind of set my personal standards higher than any of my past artworks lol.
It looks pretty decent dude, but I personally think the front leg/boot on Link is a tad too big.

I'd also edit his arm a bit more since that's a bit too small in contrast with the rest.

Sorry for telling you late and good luck with it! It'll look great when done.

Mistle

It looks pretty decent dude, but I personally think the front leg/boot on Link is a tad too big.

I'd also edit his arm a bit more since that's a bit too small in contrast with the rest.

Sorry for telling you late and good luck with it! It'll look great when done.
Hmm you are right. But I know what happened here... My original geometric sketch (not posted in this thread) was drawn with a upwards perspective. So the "camera" was almost on the ground, looking up at the characters. So I drew the legs/feet big, and upper body/arms smaller. However, my lack of experience with perspective came into play when I started adding details lol. I added in the details as seen from front on, when I should have added them as seen from an upwards perspective..

But don't feel bad for pointing it out! I'm thankful :D I can't fix this artwork without a overhaul, but I'll definitely work on it and improve for future works. I might be able to make the arms a bit bigger though, might balance it all out a bit better.

EDIT: You know... I might be able to just literally select the front leg and decrease the size lol. This may be an easy solution, instead of my original assumption of re-drawing it. Going to try it out.

EDIT 2: Here we go:

http://i.imgur.com/GXS8M.jpg

Made the leg smaller, and both arms bigger. Here's a link to the pre-edit one so you can flick between them to see the difference: http://i.imgur.com/i82G7.jpg

Hey, the coloring is great. It's really impressive actually, and it was fun watching the timelapse of you doing it. I will say though that Link's arm behind the harp is a little odd looking, but that angle and perspective can be really tricky.

Anyways, since it's a new year, and every new year I like to start off doing a traditional media drawing. And since I was listening to Zelda music lately, I decided to do something Skyward Sword related. Actually, I was originally thinking of doing something from the Wind Waker, but the medium I had already decided, colored pencil, isn't really compatible with the world of the Great Sea.
I was thinking of doing a picture of a Fishman talking to Link on his boat, but I guess that will be for another time...
Since I'm not finished with it yet, I thought I would share with you all my initial sketch.

I'll show the finished piece whenever I finish it.

Eh? What about those Link, Zelda and Ganon sketches I showed back in October? I'll get to those eventually...

Mistle

Hey, the coloring is great. It's really impressive actually, and it was fun watching the timelapse of you doing it. I will say though that Link's arm behind the harp is a little odd looking, but that angle and perspective can be really tricky.
Thanks! And yep, I know what you mean with the arm. I am hugely inexperienced with figure drawing so I'm just glad I even made it this far lol. Both arms bother me tbh (his right forearm is too long...), but I have an extensive book on figure drawing coming in the mail (Andrew Loomis), so I'm going to really buckle down and learn it.

I also need to improve my efficiency as it took way too long .__.' lol.

And I like your sketch so far! Really captures the grandness of flight, can't wait to see it all coloured. Only critique I can offer is that perhaps Link's body from below the belt looks too small in comparison to his upper half? Also, Fi has a small waist, but there's nothing wrong with that if it's the intended style :)

Xun

Thanks! And yep, I know what you mean with the arm. I am hugely inexperienced with figure drawing so I'm just glad I even made it this far lol. Both arms bother me tbh (his right forearm is too long...), but I have an extensive book on figure drawing coming in the mail (Andrew Loomis), so I'm going to really buckle down and learn it.

I also need to improve my efficiency as it took way too long .__.' lol.

And I like your sketch so far! Really captures the grandness of flight, can't wait to see it all coloured. Only critique I can offer is that perhaps Link's body from below the belt looks too small in comparison to his upper half? Also, Fi has a small waist, but there's nothing wrong with that if it's the intended style :)
I know this isn't the topic to really talk about art, but I'd highly suggest going to life drawing.

It really benefits all levels of artists, and it's definitely something I'll continue to do later this year.

Also I like the piece dude! It turned out well.

Oh and good work so far Chet!

Well, I finished it. With having not used colored pencils in a long time, there's some rough spots, but I'm fairly satisfied with how it came out. The background was definitely the hardest part.

Well, with that done, off to do something else!

Kazerei

Banned
So I just finished replaying Minish Cap on 3DS, and wow, it was tougher than I expected. The more recent Zeldas have definitely gotten easier, especially Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Overall a pretty good game with neat items and solid dungeon design. Good job Capcom.

I was planning to go for 100% completion, and I've already got all the equipment upgrades and almost all the heart pieces, but I've got lots of figurines and kinstone fusions left to do. The kinstone thing was a cool idea, but most fusions just give you more rupees, shells, or worst of all, another kinstone. Meh. Maybe I'll just move on to Metroid Fusion.

Xun

I really need to get into 2D Zelda's since I struggle playing them admittedly.

They're truly great games, but I've never had the urge to complete one... :(

Ultratech

So I just finished replaying Minish Cap on 3DS, and wow, it was tougher than I expected. The more recent Zeldas have definitely gotten easier, especially Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Overall a pretty good game with neat items and solid dungeon design. Good job Capcom.

I was planning to go for 100% completion, and I've already got all the equipment upgrades and almost all the heart pieces, but I've got lots of figurines and kinstone fusions left to do. The kinstone thing was a cool idea, but most fusions just give you more rupees, shells, or worst of all, another kinstone. Meh. Maybe I'll just move on to Metroid Fusion.

I played Minish Cap not too long ago. Was definitely pretty interesting. I only had trouble on two bosses though (the Giant Octorok and the Last Boss).

But yeah, most of the Kinstone fusions are kinda crappy, despite a good number of them opening up new paths or giving you some nifty upgrades. I wouldn't bother trying to complete the Figurines unless you're a perfectionist...takes way too long.

I don't know if anyone's interested. But I went through a TON of old VHS tapes I still had with a bunch of old Gamespot TV episodes on them (and for those who aren't aware, this was the show that would later become known as X-Play on G4) and got a vintage Zelda Retrospective done in honor of MM's release. There's some Miyamoto stuff in here too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32SZ42m9COA

Yeah I guess I always associated it with Zelda and Zelda II the same way Super Mario Land is more like SMB1 not SMB3, so I figured one day I would just play it for completionist sake.

I was so wrong. It is a lot closer to A Link to the Past and what it lacks in LttP's scale and exploration it more than makes up for with its character and charm.

It was a stronger game for being smaller IMO. Less cruft.

Might have misread, but were people complaining about Zelda II controls in this thread? Or the Souls games?

Anth0ny

My buddy sent me this 56 page breakdown/analysis of the timeline. Thought you guys might be interested.

SPOILERS FOR EVERY ZELDA GAME! BEWARE!

link

I'd read it but midterms are fucking me.

Anth0ny

Anyone looking for an excuse to play OOT again?

Try a Max% child run.

It's basically the maximum amount of things you can collect as Child Link without ever turning into Adult Link. The list may shock you:

-deku sticks(full 30 upgrade)
-slingshot(full 50 upgrade)
-Boomerang
-deku nuts(full 40 upgrade)
-OoT
-Lens of truth
-bombs(full 40 upgrade)
-magic beans
-bow(min. upgrade.Impossible to upgrade before adult)
-longshit
-megaton hammer
-4 bottles
-ice arrows
-dins fire, forore's wind, nayrus love
-Mask of truth
-odd mushroom/cojiro
-100 skulltalas (ocarina method of infinite skulltalas)
-stone of agony
-gerudo's card
-lullaby, epona's song, sarias song, suns song, song of time, requiem of spirit
-3 spiritual stones
-silver gauntlets
-golden scale
-Kokiri Sword
-Giants Knife
-deku shield
-hylian shield
-mirror shield
-zora tunic
-iron boots
-hover boots
-16 hearts
-double magic
-bongo bongo defeated, heart container
-Phantom ganon defeated, heart container
-morpha defeated, heart container, water medallion

Unfortunately, you need the megaton hammer to beat Volvagia and fire arrows to beat Twinrova, so those bosses are impossible to defeat as Child Link.

Of course, this run requires a TON of glitch abuse to successfully complete. But I have nothing better to do, so I'm going to give it a try.

A video of the run.

Anth0ny

I want to beat the game completely with adult Link.

I'm pretty sure that's possible. It's how all the speed runs are done. You glitch out of Kokiri Forest as soon as you get the sword/shield and glitch through the door of time. You can now go back and finish the child dungeons as Adult Link.

uh... except Jabu Jabu I guess.

Although I love Zelda, I always felt the climax to the end of a 3D title was always just, flat. It's like you have all these cool weapons, you went through all these awesome dungeons, then you have nothing to use them on.

Sure a hookshot to a chest there, a bow and arrow to a skulltula there, but I felt as though they could never represent the giant playground that was represented in A Link to the Past. Every item you had pretty much had a role in the overworld. The Magic Hammer, the Canes, everything.

Ocarina of Time has a nice overworld, Majora's Mask is small but full of things to do, Wind Waker has sailing and treasure hunting, Twilight Princess is epic but empty and Skyward Sword's is dungeon like and spiraling, but they all just lack the feeling of "doing what you want to do".

I'm not trying to turn this into a "what game has the best overworld" post. I'm just saying Miyamoto/Aonuma's staff makes great items and great dungeons in 3D. They just need to find ways to make them work. It's like they're afraid of elevation in their level design or something.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm pretty sure that's possible. It's how all the speed runs are done. You glitch out of Kokiri Forest as soon as you get the sword/shield and glitch through the door of time. You can now go back and finish the child dungeons as Adult Link.

uh... except Jabu Jabu I guess.

You can enter the dungeon as Adult Link in the 3DS version. You can't do squat, thought. You're twice the size of the door.

Top Bottom