• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Milly79

so, I'm playing OoT for the first time ever on the 3ds.

I'm at the Forest Temple and contemplating using a walkthrough (and starting over) as I know I'm missing a shit load of goodies. I'm at 6 hearts (sigh) and I've seen people with like 10-11 while trying to kill the skeletons with the shield. they're just absolutely destroying me, especially at the part where you have to kill the first second quickly for the first to not respond. help, GAF. :[

Anteo

so, I'm playing OoT for the first time ever on the 3ds.

I'm at the Forest Temple and contemplating using a walkthrough (and starting over) as I know I'm missing a shit load of goodies. I'm at 6 hearts (sigh) and I've seen people with like 10-11 while trying to kill the skeletons with the shield. they're just absolutely destroying me, especially at the part where you have to kill the first second quickly for the first to not respond. help, GAF. :[

You should go out of your way and do some sidequest, explore to get items and other things.

clemenx

Banned
I just bought Link's Awakening DX with spare money from the eshop because I haven't really played any of the GB and GBC Zeldas and just wow I'm in love. I can't believe a GBC game will probably become my favorite 3DS game!
I've seen this game praised on GAF quite a bit but I must admit I generally chalked it over nostalgia, boy was I wrong. Currently on the 3rd dungeon and loving every second.

tuxor

Neo Member
ZeldaGAF, I want to sit down and play through all the Zelda games I can get my hands on. What's the best order in which to do it?

Yeah, I'd also suggest playing them in release order. It can be tough to try and play the earlier games after the later games—hell, it's tough to try and play them now, given all the game design improvements in the past few decades.

If you want to get cute you could play them in the "timeline" order, I suppose.

I'm nearly finished with OoT 3D, and the game still blows my mind, even if I found it quite easy (I blame this on the Seinfield Effect).

So I'm kind of in a Zelda binge atm so I booted up Wind Waker out of nostalgia on my Wii connected to my TV with component cables. What can I say ? The game still looks freaking good, especially for a 10 years old game.

It's incomparable, WW looks way way better than TP on the same console. Hell, I think it'll look better than Skyward Sword in a few years. The cell-shaded graphics, the "toony" effects, the full textures used in the game, all of this contributes to give a very "cartoon" vibe to the game.

Plus, it's the only Zelda game I finished only once, and that was 10 years ago. I can't wait to beat it again now that I've forgotten everything about it.

EDIT : It's especially funny when I recall the outrage about the "kiddy graphics" in the media when it was first unveiled.

Sleepy

I just bought Link's Awakening DX with spare money from the eshop because I haven't really played any of the GB and GBC Zeldas and just wow I'm in love. I can't believe a GBC game will probably become my favorite 3DS game!
I've seen this game praised on GAF quite a bit but I must admit I generally chalked it over nostalgia, boy was I wrong. Currently on the 3rd dungeon and loving every second.

Is it REALLY that great? I just can't seem to get past the graphics for some reason, as NES Zelda's look fine. There is just something about this game's graphics that don't do it for me.

Rehynn

Is it REALLY that great? I just can't seem to get past the graphics for some reason, as NES Zelda's look fine. There is just something about this game's graphics that don't do it for me.

It is. It's the game that made me fall in love with the series. It's very well-designed overall, with a world that's full of genuine bittersweet charm and quirkiness. It has one of the best songs in the series (I won't tell you what it is because it's spoiler-ish, but you'll know what I'm talking about once you hear it), and it establishes an atmosphere that makes many high-budget HD titles feel soulless.

Hell, I'm gonna replay it as soon as I'm done with the Oracle games. The first time I finished it I had to start over because I couldn't bear the shame of having my name changed to you know what (and by "you" I mean the others who have played the game).

It is. It's the game that made me fall in love with the series. It's very well-designed overall, with a world that's full of genuine bittersweet charm and quirkiness. It has one of the best songs in the series (I won't tell you what it is because it's spoiler-ish, but you'll know what I'm talking about once you hear it), and it establishes an atmosphere that makes many high-budget HD titles feel soulless.

Hell, I'm gonna replay it as soon as I'm done with the Oracle games. The first time I finished it I had to start over because I couldn't bear the shame of having my name changed to you know what (and by "you" I mean the others who have played the game).

On my first playthrough the instant my name was changed I reset the game
and thus began my laborious bush-whacking rupee-hunting

And yeah Link's Awakening is awesome, though it really differs from the other entrances, though it's voluntary. It's even awesomer in glorious colours in the DX version, which have colours and an additional dungeon (though I don't see why the game is compatible with the original game boy...you can't access the optionnal dungeon iirc and there's nothing more compared to the original LA)

Preble

Guessing this is the right thread to ask, but has anyone heard if the eventual original Zelda 3DS title will be based off the Ocarina of Time 3D engine? I'd love to play a original game based off that gameply style again.

Are the dungeons in Master Quest that good ? Should I wait a bit till I forget OoT a little so I don't get confused by the whole mirror thing ?

/onto Wind Waker now !

Rekubot

Guessing this is the right thread to ask, but has anyone heard if the eventual original Zelda 3DS title will be based off the Ocarina of Time 3D engine? I'd love to play a original game based off that gameply style again.
No news on that front yet. If it is, I'd hope for a sequel to Majora's Mask.

Are the dungeons in Master Quest that good ? Should I wait a bit till I forget OoT a little so I don't get confused by the whole mirror thing ?

/onto Wind Waker now !
The puzzles are a lot tougher, I had to resort to a guide for a few instances. Combat-wise I still didn't die, but the challenge is obviously greater. The fact that its mirrored isn't too bothersome.

I'd say overall that I prefer the master quest version to the original, it feels a lot more rewarding to get through (and there's a section in the Fire Temple which still gets my heart pumping when I think about it, even though it's been a year since I last played it).

Rehynn

So today I got my hands on a Skyward Sword demo disc and az OoT 3D demo cart. There are no copies of either one on Ebay right now, so can anyone take an educated guess about how rare they are and how much they might be worth?

So Skyward Sword never got an official original soundtrack did it? Even Twilight Princess got a half-assed sountrack. :(

Nope:-(

I just wondered, is there any franchise similair to the overall universe of Zelda?

One of the things that I really started to like about Zelda in the past years is the feeling of this being a big "Legend", all these different people, different tribes, different enemies and places you meet throughout 16 main titles. Crazy fanfiction, 25 years if timeline discussions and so on. :p

It's something unique in the gaming business.

The big picture for the 25th anniversary describes it better:
http://derp.co.uk/af73e.jpg

awesome. :)

Vibed

Right on the heels of the awesome news that we're getting a much better cover for Hyrule Historia, I wanted to share with you a project that a lot of us have been working on for months now here at GT.

Timeline: The Legend of Zelda

Looks awesome, will watch. I love that CG.

You know, to this day, I still think it's stupid they revealed the timeline AND introduced a third hypothetical split. I remember reading a theory that made a third split work involving, "original timeline, future timeline, and Zelda transported timeline".

Looks awesome, will watch. I love that CG.

You know, to this day, I still think it's stupid they revealed the timeline AND introduced a third hypothetical split. I remember reading a theory that made a third split work involving, "original timeline, future timeline, and Zelda transported timeline".

Yea, there's a way Nintendo could have made a third timeline without necessitating Link's death, IMO. However, I think with the solution Nintendo presented in Hyrule Historia, it's obvious they just made this shit up recently. Maybe one day the past writers will share their knowledge and vision of the storyline to see how it evolved internally, but there is no way in hell this official timeline with three paths was conceived back in 1986.

Yuripaw

Banned
Hey fellow Legend of Zelda fans....I was wondering if some of you would be willing to help me on my quest. I have decided to embark on adventure, where I would seek some of the greatest treasure known in the history of gaming.

It's really nothing special, lol. I've just made a decision that I want to seek out and own every Legend of Zelda game ever made. I've usually been content with owning digital copies, and since I was a kid, I've always sold, or traded in games to get new ones that I have very little remaining as I got older. I have loved Zelda since I first experienced it, and I do still think Ocarina of Time is one of the greatest games ever made.

Instead of being content just simply owning cartridges of every Zelda game though, I am hoping to seek out and eventually own complete copies of every Zelda game. I'm not going to go as far as to buy every variation of a cartridge available. I won't go after the grey cart for NES for example.

Where I could use your help though is knowing what there is. It is hard to know what originally came with every game after all these years. For instance, did certain games come with maps, or inserts? How many variations of certain games were there? Does anyone know of a website perhaps that could tell me the answers to these kind of questions? I am only going to be seeking out US versions of the game, I won't be going after every region or anything like that. I am first going to focus on original versions of games, however I may do remakes as well.

I'd like to start from the beginning, so I think I'm going to seek out a copy of the original Legend of Zelda on NES first. Gold cart, original box (not classic series box).

Rehynn

Good luck on your quest, I'm one game away from completing mine!:) Ironically, it's the origininal edition of Link's Awakening, which was my first Zelda ever, but I ended up losing my copy of the game...

Anyway, I believe this is what you'll need:

Zelda 1 (NES w/ map, GBA re-release)
Zelda 2 (NES, GBA re-release)
A Link to the Past (SNES w/ map, GBA re-release w/ 4 Swords)
Link's Awakening (GB, GBC "DX" re-release)
Ocarina of Time (N64, 3DS)
Majora's Mask (N64)
Oracle of Ages (GBA)
Oracle of Seasons (GBA)
The Wind Waker (GC, Collector's Edition should come w/ OoT + Master Quest disk)
Zelda Collector's Edition (GC)
Four Swords Adventures (GC, complete boxed version w/ GBA link cable)
Twilight Princess (GC, maybe Wii version too)
Link's Crossbow Training (Wii)
Skyward Sword (Get the collector's edition w/ the CD and the golden Wiimote)

There are collector's websites out there, but they will make you cry tears of jealousy. Still, they're excellent references.

One suggestion: If you're not going to play the games in your collection, go for the Japanese versions, they tend to be the most beautiful editions. I play all my games, so it's mostly PAL versions, but I have Japanese copies of OoT and Majora and they're wonderful.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot Minish Cap, haha. Probably because it's my least favorite.

Yuripaw

Banned
Good luck on your quest, I'm one game away from completing mine!:) Ironically, it's the origininal edition of Link's Awakening, which was my first Zelda ever, but I ended up losing my copy of the game...

Anyway, I believe this is what you'll need:

Zelda 1 (NES w/ map, GBA re-release)
Zelda 2 (NES, GBA re-release)
A Link to the Past (SNES w/ map, GBA re-release w/ 4 Swords)
Link's Awakening (GB, GBC "DX" re-release)
Ocarina of Time (N64, 3DS)
Majora's Mask (N64)
Oracle of Ages (GBA)
Oracle of Seasons (GBA)
The Wind Waker (GC, Collector's Edition should come w/ OoT + Master Quest disk)
Zelda Collector's Edition (GC)
Four Swords Adventures (GC, complete boxed version w/ GBA link cable)
Twilight Princess (GC, maybe Wii version too)
Link's Crossbow Training (Wii)
Skyward Sword (Get the collector's edition w/ the CD and the golden Wiimote)

There are collector's websites out there, but they will make you cry tears of jealousy. Still, they're excellent references.

One suggestion: If you're not going to play the games in your collection, go for the Japanese versions, they tend to be the most beautiful editions. I play all my games, so it's mostly PAL versions, but I have Japanese copies of OoT and Majora and they're wonderful.

Do you know of any collector's websites? that's what I've been looking for, but can't really find.

You also forgot Minish Cap on your list, ^_^. I just realized something recently though, if I go through with this...I'm gonna have to eventually get the shitty CDI games...nooooooooo, lol. Those will be last.

Took my first step though with this purchase: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NE...Bnhi42rE24SssPs8UPt8Piw=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Looks to be in fair condition, good enough for what I'm trying to accomplish. Bought some NES box protectors also. Will need at least 2 for when I get Zelda II. Still a long way to go, but I wanted to buy this to at least get me started. Only other Zelda games I own right now are the 2 Wii games, and that wasn't good enough, heh.

Anth0ny

Do you know of any collector's websites? that's what I've been looking for, but can't really find.

You also forgot Minish Cap on your list, ^_^. I just realized something recently though, if I go through with this...I'm gonna have to eventually get the shitty CDI games...nooooooooo, lol. Those will be last.

Took my first step though with this purchase: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NE...Bnhi42rE24SssPs8UPt8Piw=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Looks to be in fair condition, good enough for what I'm trying to accomplish. Bought some NES box protectors also. Will need at least 2 for when I get Zelda II. Still a long way to go, but I wanted to buy this to at least get me started. Only other Zelda games I own right now are the 2 Wii games, and that wasn't good enough, heh.

Here's my collection:

OuKlf.jpg

I'm so kidding. Check out this dude's collection here, it's pretty complete.

Yuripaw

Banned

Wow...that is a pretty intense collection. Kinda wish I didn't see that, lol. I'm gonna stick with my original goal. At least to start, complete copies of every NA region Zelda game, including remakes like the Master Quest, CE, and GBA ports. Once that's complete, (if it's complete someday) then maybe I'll work on other stuff.

It was nice to see what a lot of those games in their full complete state are like though. That's what I wanted to see.

Anth0ny

Wow...that is a pretty intense collection. Kinda wish I didn't see that, lol. I'm gonna stick with my original goal. At least to start, complete copies of every NA region Zelda game, including remakes like the Master Quest, CE, and GBA ports. Once that's complete, (if it's complete someday) then maybe I'll work on other stuff.

It was nice to see what a lot of those games in their full complete state are like though. That's what I wanted to see.

Yeah, I plan on collecting every game in the series boxed from NA and Japan someday as well.

Some day.

Hypatia

Ah cool, more Zelda remix albums!

Shame Nintendo's letting this opportunity pass them by though.

Also just did a quick check of the thread but I've seen no mention of the Majoras Mask opera being put together by a fan:

http://majoraopera.wordpress.com/

The story is focused on Kafei getting back the sun mask only it's set in the timeline where Link didn't return from the future - meaning there's no hero to save Termina.

Personally I think they need help with the lyrics but I still find them enjoyable, even if they're only demos.

I think this is my fave so far.

Yuripaw

Banned
I finally got the package in the mail I was waiting for. I think this is all I'll end up getting for a while, but I've already started my LoZ collection. This is what I've accumulated so far:

I've never played the Oracle games, and was most excited to get those. Picked up a gamecube with a gameboy player to play em on too.

Rehynn

=D You're in for some fun times. Very good Zelda games, definitely better than the DS ones (and I enjoyed both of those).

I really need to get a boxed OoT.

I'm just about to finish Oracle of Seasons after beating Ages, and I have to disagree. If you get used to the interface in the DS games, they open up to be vastly superior games in terms of world/mission/level/enemy design.

The Oracle games are fine, but nothing remarkable. Phantom Hourglass alone is better than both Oracle games combined IMO.

Seasons is better than Ages, by the way.

Hypatia

Oh I like the interface of the DS games; that's not my core issue with them. I actually find the controls to be a lot more enjoyable and suited to handheld play than the Oracle games. The combat is much fluid in PH/ST despite the combat in all the games being about as simple as the next. I think, in general, the enemy/player interactions are a lot more well thought out than the Oracle games (where it feels more like a copy and paste job of earlier enemy designs).

I just didn't find PH or ST to have very interesting dungeon design. ST was a lot better but I still preferred the Oracle games dungeons; they felt a lot more consistant in quality with their design and gimmicks (and well, the art style).

I still enjoyed both games though -in fact I even liked the Temple of the Ocean King and the train- but the core gimmicks of the Oracle games felt a lot more interesting and well designed (seasons switching and time travel that is).

Seasons is better than Ages, by the way.

Heh, I prefer Ages dungeons but Seasons overworld.

Rehynn

I just didn't find PH or ST to have very interesting dungeon design. ST was a lot better but I still preferred the Oracle games dungeons

Heh, I prefer Ages dungeons but Seasons overworld.

Interesting... The more I think about it, the more I realize that dungeons don't really matter that much to me in Zelda games. Not as much as the overworld/exploration and the puzzles anyway.

I guess I'm a weird kind of Zelda fan.

(This also explains why I loved and hated Skyward Sword - more open dungeons, but less open overworld.)

Top Bottom