• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

thank god there are all these backseat mods helping to make a good thread!
hint: you guys are bitter and annoying

I would love to read a focused discussion about sheik, but that is not in my hand, as I am not really informed besides the fact that zeldas sheik form is a blast to play in melee

Platy

We... have a Community Thread for that kind of stuff, you know.

No i don't know .... because this stuff enter in every zelda thread that sees a sheik mention =P

did you claim this OT in the claims thread? I cant find your post if so. please clarify this issue thanks.

¬¬

Feel free o take he |OT| out .... but i will want a "-age" added in the title =3

edit: that was fast =P
But i didn't got my "-age" =(

I will survive =P

Hylian7

I don't really understand. What is there to discuss here? Sheik is Zelda in disguise, she came up with it from the Sheikah people.

Platy

I don't really understand. What is there to discuss here? Sheik is Zelda in disguise, she came up with it from the Sheikah people.

from the artbook thead :

Sheik was "male" in the game too. At least he is if you define Sheik as the personality that Zelda adopts as opposed to being Zelda herself. I mean, just look at the official character portrait. It's pretty obvious Zelda was pretending to be male, given how she transformed her figure.

So yeah, it's canon, anyway.

Yeah but no, she's a she.

Oh god not this again.
SHEIK HAS A PENIS.

Sheik is a disguise. A costume. If a girl dresses up as Mario, that doesn't make Mario female. Sheik isn't Zelda, Sheik is a male disguise worn by a woman.

So basicaly .. how far the disguise goes, if it is a true disguise, a projection, a curse, a tranformation, another entity ... more like tetra or more like "organization XIII" zelda from twilight princess

FreeMufasa

Sheik is possibly a dude???

MDWRs.gif

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sheik was supposedly set to appear in Twilight Princess. I wonder what his/her role was supposed to be in the game.

Also, in before mentions of Irina Sheik.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll copy paste Nintendo's official designation:

Super Smash Bros Dojo said:
Use Zelda’s down special move to transform into Sheik! Once you do so, you’ll have access to a new character completely unique from Zelda.

Sheik doesn’t appear in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but we based her model on a design that was drafted up during the development of that game.

---

None of Sheik’s special moves have the power to send the opponent flying, nor do they heap large mounds of damage on the enemy. The absence of these characteristics is indicative of her character.

Sheik’s style relies on her great speed and midair attacks, both of which help her torment the opponent. As such, it seems sensible enough to say that you’ll use her special moves mostly as a means of keeping the enemy in check.

sheik_080116b-l.jpg
Source: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/sheik.html

Though uh yes, this is what the Zelda community thread is for, so I'll probably merge this with that thread in 30 minutes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
i wanna see if you can break your old record. do it within the next 60 seconds!

I'm giving it 30 minutes so people can see the general kind of topic that's supposed to go there instead, since there was a lot of confusion about this kind of thing at one point.

It's not meant to remove any news or game discussion threads, just... odd side discussions.

This has always been and will always continue to be an incredibly stupid discussion. Sheik is Zelda, therefore Sheik is a female. There is zero ambiguity

Orayn

Hair: Cut shorter and hidden under the hat.
Eye color: Magic.
Voice: That thing Christian Bale does in the new Batman movies.
Chest: Zelda not being terrible well-endowed combined with binding/wrapping. You can even see it under the poncho/tabard/whatever.
Sex: Female, because Sheik is just Zelda with an alias and a disguise.
Gender: Ambiguous, which is why several characters refer to Sheik as male.

Mr6gk.jpg

Lyonaz

Yes, Sheik is a girl. No discussion there. Zelda disguised herself as one of the Sheikah, resulting in Sheik. So in Zelda canon Sheik is female.

The only thing you can theorize about is if Zelda disguised herself as a person that actually used to exist in Zelda universe history. Was Sheik an actual person in Sheikah history? And if so was that person male or a female pretending to be male, much like Fantaghiro in that Italian folktale or Joan the Pope.

Who the fuck cares?! Unless Nintendo makes a game about it, that stuff is just pure fanfiction drivel.

Zane

Like I said in the other thread:

Sheik is a disguise. A costume. If a girl dresses up as Mario, that doesn't make Mario female. Sheik isn't Zelda, Sheik is a male disguise worn by a woman.

Sheik is male because all Sheik is is a costume. The gender of the person wearing the costume does not change the costume's gender.

Breast binding has been a part of female to male disguise stories since forever. Do you think Zelda uses a cup or a pair of socks to fill out the bulge? Did the Hylians even wear socks?

DarkKyo

Yes, Sheik is a girl. No discussion there. Zelda disguised herself as one of the Sheikah, resulting in Sheik. So in Zelda canon Sheik is female.

The only thing you can theorize about is if Zelda disguised herself as a person that actually used to exist in Zelda universe history. Was Sheik an actual person in Sheikah history? And if so was that person male or a female pretending to be male, much like Fantaghiro in that Italian folktale or Joan the Pope.

Who the fuck cares?! Unless Nintendo makes a game about it, that stuff is just pure fanfiction drivel.

You are missing the point completely.

Zelda doesn't put on a costume or a disguise. She magically transforms into Sheik. Have you played Smash Bros? The physique is vastly different from one form to the other. It's a different character altogether that she assumes the role of. Does it just bother you people that a fictional character can turn into a boy or something? Look at the sparkles around the transformation. It's magic and instantaneous. Zelda can't move like Sheik can and Sheik gives up magic-based moves for agility and reflex.

Roto13

I'd like to see Sheik return in another Zelda game, but I guess the surprise would be lost. Unless they actually make Sheik and Zelda separate characters!

Zelda doesn't put on a costume or a disguise. She magically transforms into Sheik. Have you played Smash Bros? The physique is vastly different from one form to the other. It's a different character altogether that she assumes the role of. Does it just bother you people that a fictional character can turn into a boy or something? Look at the sparkles around the transformation. It's magic and instantaneous. Zelda can't move like Sheik can and Sheik gives up magic-based moves for agility and reflex.
Wow. Sounds like it bothers you a lot that people don't really care. Zelda is Zelda, doesn't matter if she's magically a boy when she's Sheik or if she's just dressed up as one.

ASIS

There is nothing in OOT that suggests Sheik is a male though. I can't remember but I don't think that happened.

Seda

Apparently that Hyrule artbook reveals the "Official" timeline

Main Timeline

1. Skyward Sword
2. Minish Cap
3. Four Swords.
4. Ocarina Of Time

Split 1: Link defeats Ganon — childhood branch
a) Majora's Mask
b) Twilight Princess
c) Four Swords Adventures

Split 2: Link defeats Ganon — adult branch
a) Wind Waker
b) Phantom Hourglass
c) Spirit Tracks

Split 3: Link fails in Ocarina Of Time
a) A Link To The Past
b) Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons
c) Link's Awakening
d) The Legend of Zelda
e) Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/12/rumour_official_legend_of_zelda_series_timeline_revealed

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Link failing in OoT was an option?

Edit- That ordering makes a lot of sense if true, though.

I didn't see that post before.

Like I posted in that thread I'm going to post my theory on how/why the third timeline gets created.

Let's say Link dies fighting Ganondorf, and now the bastard has Zelda prisoner. It could be the final straw that leads to the different people of that world (Humans, Zoras, Gorons, etc etc) joining together and creating an army to take Ganondorf down. Then it falls completely on the power of the sages to seal him away. That could end up becoming the imprisioning war talked about at the start of ALttP.

watershed

Banned
Okay can someone help me out. I get how OoT can lead to WW and I get how OoT can lead to TP. But what is this new OoT leads to ALTTP? How does Link fail and how does that connect OoT to ALTTP?

Top Bottom