• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is $70

SeraphJan

Zelda Oot didnt cost $60 because of it being a technological marvel it cost $60 because it was on a cartridge medium, and cartridges were more expensive than CD-rom ,that is why N64 games were more expensive that Ps1 games and also Resident Evil 2 for N64 was more expensive than the Playstation version,
STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION ,its unhealthy
When did I ever said that's their reasoning for pricing it $60? I'm talking about from the stand point of a consumer, I payed for what I get, stop strawmanning, its unhealthy

The people I replied to clearly doesn't want to mention its for the cartridge for justifying how new Zelda is fairly priced, read the context before replying

And OoT is a tech marvel

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Eh, let's give (negative) credit where it's due without being silly. Pokemon's always been an outlier because Gamefreak is a joke. Acting like it's representative of the rest of their output is extremely disingenuous.
I'm not, their game at least this generation in terms of budget is very subpar compare to most of their previous generation before Wii, from NES to NGC, they always beat their competitor in terms of tech, Mario 3 on NES, Donkey Kong on SNES, Mario 64 on N64, and most their games on NGC, those games were tech showcase in that era, for me its also some of the most jaw dropping experience I had when I was a kid. When you consider how much they priced(and never went sales) their games this gen for how much budget they put into, its just greed, but that doesn't matter as long as people keep buying it, why stop? But for me its done, there are plenty of games to play in modern era, as much as I love their games my time is limited, I'll just wait until they launch their new hardware

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Zelda Oot didnt cost $60 because of it being a technological marvel it cost $60 because it was on a cartridge medium, and cartridges were more expensive than CD-rom ,that is why N64 games were more expensive that Ps1 games and also Resident Evil 2 for N64 was more expensive than the Playstation version,
A. OOT was a technical marvel.

B. TotK is also on a cartridge.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No you are wrong. This is not about grahpics. Horizon is a good game but was not that great to me. I paid $30 for Horizon this year. Like i said i don't pay 60 or 70 for any game in this time. Ragnarok for me yeah i spent those 70 happy and i think it was woth it. Does it have the best graphics? No. Is Callisto Protocol worth 70 because of graphics? No. You guys are only thinking about graphics and is not only that. I would like to see how much money or what is the budget of the Switch games and see. Would you pay 70 for a indie game? Even if the game is good? Even if good is an indie game and paying 70 dosen't justify it. With the logic some have here. If Nintendo gamea are better than Sony or MS then Nintendo should ask 80 for their games because is worth it and still are good games.
I couldn’t care less what’s considered AAA or AA or even indie, if the game is fun for me then worth full price, that’s all there is to it. How much money they spend making the game is irrelevant to me.

Mozza

The thread on Nintendo's latest earnings report is one page long, and a thread on Zelda being initially priced at $70 (which will not end up being the final price anyway) is seven pages long, surely by this point some NeoGaf members could do much better. ;)

Sakura

I paid $70+ for games routinely for the NES and SNES back in the day. For example, Super Street Fighter 2 for SNES was a $90 game in 1994. Even at $70, games are cheap now.
While this is true, games also didn't sell very many copies back then (much smaller install bases) and the cost to manufacture the cartridges was much higher than the cost for manufacturing discs and especially for digital releases.
Consider the original LTTP sold around 5 million copies (rounding up) at probably 60 dollars US. 60 dollars in 1994 is 120 dollars today. That would be 600 million dollars. And that isn't including the cost of manufacturing the cartridges, and the cut to the middle man (no digital, of course).

Meanwhile, BOTW has sold 30 million copies. Even if we ignore the inflation from 2017 to today and pretend all of them were sold today, that is still 1.8 billion at 60 dollars a copy. Yes game budgets are higher than back on the SNES, but 1 billion dollars higher? Of course not. BOTW had a budget of maybe 200 million at most, and they made money off DLC, and there is less cost to manufacture.

They make way more money today off game sales at 60 bucks in 2023 money, than they did off games sales 30 years ago. The idea they have to raise prices because of inflation, or whatever people are saying in this thread, is silly. They are raising the price because they know they can get away with it, and that is it.

scydrex

I couldn’t care less what’s considered AAA or AA or even indie, if the game is fun for me then worth full price, that’s all there is to it. How much money they spend making the game is irrelevant to me.
Fair enough. You would pay even more 100 for any game you like. Well is your money so... good for you.

SeraphJan

Nintendo fans still saying they are going to buy the game lol, this is nuts, we need to boycott this shit.
No need to overly generalize Nintendo fans, I'm a Nintendo fan all the way from NES, and I don't agree with the direction they are going

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Nintendo is working in the same market as the others and has the same inflation pressure to adjust pricing. To stay at $60 is a price cut. Going to $70 now is roughly staying in line with recent pricing. Here is data to 2020, which excluded inflation from the past two years which is probably about the $10 delta.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/the-return-of-the-70-video-game-has-been-a-long-time-coming/
Not the same approach as others though. Again, they rarely discount their games. Which means people buy their games years later mostly at the same price + They are conservative in terms of budget compared to other publishers as both design philosophy and because of the weaker system.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This was always the darkest timeline. MS has GP so you don't have to buy day one. Most Sony first party isn't that great, so you can skip it for a while or altogether. Nintendo was always going to be the true drop kick to the balls. Most of their 1st party is worth it on day one, and it never goes on sale.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fair enough. You would pay even more 100 for any game you like. Well is your money so... good for you.
There are people who told me that I’m crazy for paying full price for Vanillaware games just because they are 2D butI couldn't care less because their games are super fun and I’m more happy paying full price. Games being big budget doesn’t make them automatically better or even polished.

Last edited:

Fbh

Just wait a bit, buy used for $55-60, and then resell it for $55-60.

Nintendo games are free as long as you stick to the second hand market

I'm ashamed to say, I've bought games for a higher price than that... that I've never even played.
Probably won't buy it day 1 anyway, my backlog is getting way too big.

thatJohann

I'm sure the same development time (if not much more) would apply to Tears of the Kingdom on Switch as it does to a God of War Ragnarok on PS5, so $70 sounds totally fine, it's consistent with what other devs are charging on the other consoles. I'm surprised it took that long tbh.

Not the same approach as others though. Again, they rarely discount their games. Which means people buy their games years later mostly at the same price + They are conservative in terms of budget compared to other publishers as both design philosophy and because of the weaker system.
Yet they still have historically maintained price parity with others, why should they commit to a discount (stay at $60) now?

Airbus Jr

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: You'll Buy it Anyway
Phil Hartman Yes GIF

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The outrage here is so funny when I think I payed €69.99 for Sekiro on Xbox in 2019.
We Euro people have been paying €70 for several games on all platforms for years, even when the Euro was stronger than the US dollar. Welcome to the rest of the world, Murica?

Always amazing how a TLOU remaster is perfectly worth the new price tag, but a new Zelda game somehow isn’t. And if you buy, in the first case you’re a person of culture, in the second, you’re a sycophant.

Mozza

Apart from not having to swap physical media, I still see very little advantage of digital downloads, unless of course that is the only option.... and still can't get my head around why they cost more in the first place, with no cartridge or box etc, and no logistics getting the games to stores.

Last edited:
Apart from not having to swap physical media, I still see very little advantage of digital downloads, unless of course that is the only option.... and still can't get my head around why they cost more in the first place, with no cartridge or box etc, and no logistics getting the games to stores.
The reason they charge the same amount for digital games is the same reason why they're raising the price of games to $70.
Because they can.

Mozza

The reason they charge the same amount for digital games is the same reason why they're raising the price of games to $70.
Because they can.
No issues with it as I will always buy physical and get a better deal. if people want to download then it is what it is.

sainraja

Like it or not, we are not paying for "graphics" when it comes to a game. We are paying for the "content/design" of the game.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
GczGQGu.jpg

I'm not paying $70 for it but most Switch owners should be grateful its only $70. Nintendo could charge $100 and this game wouldn't miss a beat. I'll let you in on a little secret....BoTW is a middle tier Zelda game and it's only praised as high as it is because most Switch owners are very sheltered in their game variety.

SaintALia

Price was removed. OP or Mods should probably update the OP or title.

Could be a pricing error but who knows, we'll probably know for sure after the N. Direct.

Deerock71

£59.99 here.

I'll fucking pay it without any hesitation. BOTW is one of favourite games of all time. It could be £69.99 or £79.99 and I'd still pay it.

And I'm not the only one who will buy it. BOTW has sold 29,000,000 copies making it the 4th best selling game on the 3rd best selling console of all time. So I think it's safe to say it'll sell like crazy.

Don't wanna pay the price? Then don't. Wait for a sale or used copies. While you do that I'll be playing the shit right out the game.
I couldn't agree more, but I am glad I snagged it at 59.99 before it got delisted. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom