• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is $70

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
But its not a handheld title.
It's certainly not not a handheld title though.

Zoom In Washington Nationals GIF by MLB

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The hardware it's being developed on is irrelevant. The reason why prices go up is due to development costs and the state of the current market. Nintendo faces the same development costs as anyone else and is participating in the same market in 2023 regardless of the platform.
No they don’t. They haven’t had to put any money development time into learning new tech.

The hardware it’s being developed on is not irrelevant, imo. We are in the field of technology. New tech means a higher price.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I'm giving them $150 or whatever the CE/Master Edition version costs. People in this thread trippin' acting like BOTW wasn't a fantastic game worth 1000000x the msrp. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion...even if they are shockingly wrong

Now...if this ends up like Skyward Sword....well...I am the one who will have been played.

VvQDXXc.gif

Tg89

Doesn't change the fact that there is a core group of games that does care........at all.

A group that clearly isn't substantial enough from preventing great sales. I doubt most companies are trying to target the specific demographic of mouthbreathers that sit and analyze digital foundry videos.

How many copies has Callisto Protocol sold?

Sethbacca

I'm sure this will be a banger, but they'd be better off dropping this as a launch title on some new hardware that isn't half as powerful as a 10 year old PS4.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Did you think this core group of graphic whores is a new thing?

Who said it was a new thing? Bring out the rabid Nintendo fans (I happen to be one of them, just that I actually care about graphics) frantically trying to justify ancient hardware and outdate graphics.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A group that clearly isn't substantial enough from preventing great sales. I doubt most companies are trying to target the specific demographic of mouthbreathers that sit and analyze digital foundry videos.

What's that got to do with anything? Is Callisto a AAA Zelda game with broad generational and nostalgia?
And as much as you would minimize what the hardcore who care about graphics would say, it's this group that actually often decides how a generation starts, it's why the console makers try and cater to them.
Some of you are just getting silly at this point, lets go all crazy and say graphics don't matter, and release no new hardware ever. Sound good?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

2m at launch, don't know what it's at now.
But with all its negative shit it's getting I'm surprised it did that.
I'm surprised it's a new IP that sold 2m in one month and still got called a failure ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

sainraja

Wait what? No. When it comes to a game, you are paying for the whole game, and that includes resolution and performance, two things that aren't just for show but that affect the gameplay very directly.

There's no excuses imo, just companies (not just Nintendo) being greedy.
No matter what type of game it is, they should all have good performance and a resolution that matches the "look and style" the creators are going for. Again, you are paying for the game, not the graphics, since a game can still look great depending on the style it is adopting regardless of what resolution it is being rendered at or technology it is using. The price usually reflects how many hours of "game" you get vs. how the image quality is achieved or displayed.

Consoles are fixed systems anyway. They will not go above the fixed high ceiling the console can achieve (yes, even accounting the tricks devs might do to achieve the look they are going for).

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Hmmmm.

Xbox and Playstation I expect this from because as much as I love Nintendo, the games dont cost the same to make.

The money and staff that goes into making games like TLOU2, Starfield etc cost alot more. I know its their choice to do this and graphics and tech isnt always everything, but Switch games are still basically Wii U games. I shouldnt have had to paid £50+ for Pikmin 3 when I bought it day 1 on Wii U cheaper. But Im a fan of Pikmin and want to see Pikmin 4.

Yeah Zelda TOTK will be worth $70 but will Luigi’s Mansion 4 or the next Pokemon game that looks worse than a PS2 game? They should of waited till next gen.

Nintendo was already making buckets of money just porting Wii U games that already made their cost money on the Wii U. Mario Kart 8, Pikmin, Mario, Zelda BOTW, Smash.

I expected them too this when they went next gen.

Last edited:

scydrex

Pokemon-Ugly.jpg

This game sold more than Elden Rings in just 6 weeks on the market. LoL.
And it runs like crap with a lot of bugs. People don't care about graphics or how well it runs. That game just confirmed it and selling for 60.

Last edited:

PeteBull

This was always the darkest timeline. MS has GP so you don't have to buy day one. Most Sony first party isn't that great, so you can skip it for a while or altogether. Nintendo was always going to be the true drop kick to the balls. Most of their 1st party is worth it on day one, and it never goes on sale.
Its justified coz u can play those first party ninny games in glorious 4k and smooth 60fps, those AAA quality games dont get made from nothing;'D

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Technically they were in their 9th gen before Xbox and PS.
Technically yes, due to short life of the Wii U Nintendo had to release their successor only 4 years after its predecessor which was 4 years before the generation official ended.
You could argue that the Wii U was supposed to have a shorter life span but we all know that's not true and the Switch was a means to update their Handheld console with a successor and replace the dying Wii U.
As Handheld it is an 8th Generation console.
But as a home console the circumstances are different because it released so early in the 8th generation to be even considered a 9th generation console.
You can say it's a 9th Generation console or a second try at the 8th Gen.
It doesn't matter, we all know Xbox & PS have their NextGen Consoles out and Nintendo doesn't regardless of what generation you put it in.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Technically yes, due to short life of the Wii U Nintendo had to release their successor only 4 years after its predecessor which was 4 years before the generation official ended.
You could argue that the Wii U was supposed to have a shorter life span but we all know that's not true and the Switch was a means to update their Handheld console with a successor and replace the dying Wii U.
As Handheld it is an 8th Generation console.
But as a home console the circumstances are different because it released so early in the 8th generation to be even considered a 9th generation console.
You can say it's a 9th Generation console or a second try at the 8th Gen.
It doesn't matter, we all know Xbox & PS have their NextGen Consoles out and Nintendo doesn't regardless of what generation you put it in.
Agreed.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
If it's included in the vouchers, than totes worth it. Not fair if they did the vouchers one week before while knowing this, that would be scummy.

I would still buy it.

Last edited:

PeteBull

tuned in on american ninny youtube channel, still almost 40minutes left to start of the direct and ppl are so hyped there u cant read chat at all, so many comments =D
Edit: almost 90k viewers there, seems like expectations are tru the roof, hopefully its good and shows game that justifies the price, that is all i can ask for now :p

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is one of the titles people will pay $70 for so whatever. You can get those vouchers for it if you want to buy it digitally.

My worry is that it just looks like the same Zelda that released years ago now. And i'm only paying $70 if my weapons don't break.

Last edited:
Top Bottom