• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is $70

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Like it or not, we are not paying for "graphics" when it comes to a game. We are paying for the "content/design" of the game.
Wait what? No. When it comes to a game, you are paying for the whole game, and that includes resolution and performance, two things that aren't just for show but that affect the gameplay very directly.

There's no excuses imo, just companies (not just Nintendo) being greedy.

Zimmy68

Ah, remember when first party games where $10 less than everything else?
Pepperidge Farms does.
Nintendo has balls, charging $70 for a game running on Wii-U tech.
I guess Nintendo is passing the delay costs on to the lemmings.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Wait what? No. When it comes to a game, you are paying for the whole game, and that includes resolution and performance, two things that aren't just for show but that affect the gameplay very directly.

There's no excuses imo, just companies (not just Nintendo) being greedy.

Or how about If $70 is going to become some kind of industry standard for 4k capable games (i.e. 1st or 3d party AAA titles) then Nintendo has the obligation to follow that same industry standard.

At least that's how I'm currently looking at it. And I still don't like the idea of $70 games and have so far only purchased one game @ $70, Horizon Forbidden West.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Or how about If $70 is going to become some kind of industry standard for 4k capable games (i.e. 1st or 3d party AAA titles) then Nintendo has the obligation to follow that same industry standard.

At least that's how I'm currently looking at it
Then you are looking at it wrong. Zelda is being developed under the same modern conditions as every other game, just the focus is not on graphics. $70 for a 15 hour "4K game" or $70 for 60-70+ hour Zelda game. Not seeing the outrage here.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Then you are looking at it wrong. Zelda is being developed under the same modern conditions as every other game, just the focus is not on graphics. $70 for a 15 hour "4K game" or $70 for 60-70+ hour Zelda game. Not seeing the outrage here.

The problem is in 2023, graphics matter to a lot of people. Time for Nintendo to get off their hands and release some new hardware.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

At least that's how I'm currently looking at it. And I still don't like the idea of $70 games and have so far only purchased one game @ $70, Horizon Forbidden West.
The way I see it, 70$ is just too much to ask for a game, specially in digital format. And it doesn't matter if it's PS5 or Switch, 4K or 720p.

Gambit2483

If that was the case them Smash Bros Ultimate could have easily launched @ $70 (hell maybe even $80) but it didn't. Nintendo chose to follow the industry standard.

You are in fact looking at it the wrong way...and if the market dictates that the game should not be a $70 purchase then the price will drop. Just look at The Colisto Protocol for proof.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The problem is in 2023, graphics matter to a lot of people. Time for Nintendo to get off their hands and release some new hardware.

Meanwhile the Switch just outsold the PS4 in 70% of the time that machine took and it's not even close to being done.

The people constantly whining about Switch power and Switch Pros are a weird echo chamber who don't understand the industry at all.

Interfectum

If that was the case them Smash Bros Ultimate could have easily launched @ $70 (hell maybe even $80) but it didn't. Nintendo chose to follow the industry standard.

You are in fact looking at it the wrong way...and if the market dictates that the game should not be a $70 purchase then the price will drop. Just look at The Colisto Protocol for proof.
I mean, I guess we'll see what people say when the new Zelda game passes by most AAA games released this year.

Gambit2483

The way I see it, 70$ is just too much to ask for a game, specially in digital format. And it doesn't matter if it's PS5 or Switch, 4K or 720p.
I agree, which is why I don't buy many games @ $70 but I don't control the market or pricing standards. I'm just saying what would be consistent in order for Nintendo to increase their prices.

TintoConCasera

I agree, which is why I don't buy many games @ $70 but I don't control the market or pricing standards. I'm just saying what would be consistent in order for Nintendo to increase their prices.
Yea agree, if their games looked/ran better it would be a bit more excusable.

Just a bit tho.

sandbood

Banned
Pokemon-Ugly.jpg

This game sold more than Elden Rings in just 6 weeks on the market. LoL.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Deerock71

Ah, remember when first party games where $10 less than everything else?
Pepperidge Farms does.
Nintendo has balls, charging $70 for a game running on Wii-U tech.
I guess Nintendo is passing the delay costs on to the lemmings.
Lemmings buy CoD, Madden, and FIFA annually, friendo.

Exede

Why is this insane? It's smart to print more money. People are used to the price tag by now and Nintendo wants part of the 70$ cake now, too. Stop crying 10$ is like nothing anymore

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Jimbo is leading the industry where he wants. He truly is the champ of CEO's.

Still, in Portugal, from where I'm from, it's still 59€.

Antonio Banderas Relief GIF

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The outrage here is so funny when I think I payed €69.99 for Sekiro on Xbox in 2019.
We Euro people have been paying €70 for several games on all platforms for years, even when the Euro was stronger than the US dollar. Welcome to the rest of the world, Murica?

Always amazing how a TLOU remaster is perfectly worth the new price tag, but a new Zelda game somehow isn’t. And if you buy, in the first case you’re a person of culture, in the second, you’re a sycophant.

Both can be lame. Charging a premium price for both TLOU Remake and the new Zelda are both examples of companies testing the water to see what they can get away with.

One is a remake with a graphical overhaul and one is a game being made for ancient hardware.

As with all things, context also matters. Both these companies have been irritating hardcore players for a few years now with their communication and practices, which makes these kind of moves even harder to stomach.

And for me, it is pretty much the principle that matters. $10 isn’t make it break for me, but I will stop supporting a company that doesn’t respect its consumers. That’s why I don’t have a PS5 yet.

Interfectum

Both can be lame. Charging a premium price for both TLOU Remake and the new Zelda are both examples of companies testing the water to see what they can get away with.

One is a remake with a graphical overhaul and one is a game being made for ancient hardware.

As with all things, context also matters. Both these companies have been irritating hardcore players for a few years now with their communication and practices, which makes these kind of moves even harder to stomach.

And for me, it is pretty much the principle that matters. $10 isn’t make it break for me, but I will stop supporting a company that doesn’t respect its consumers. That’s why I don’t have a PS5 yet.
Context does matter... let me reword this for you:

One is a near 1:1 remake of a PS3 game with a graphical overhaul and one is a brand new Zelda game being made on hardware that is still selling with or outselling next gen consoles month to month globally.

AV

Why is this insane? It's smart to print more money. People are used to the price tag by now and Nintendo wants part of the 70$ cake now, too. Stop crying 10$ is like nothing anymore

Really puts it into perspective when $10 now wouldn't even buy you a decent pizza to eat while playing Tears of the Kingdom.

The XXL I plan on picking up from Papa John's for Hogwarts launch is gonna cost me almost 2/5ths of what I paid for the Steam key.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Context does matter... let me reword this for you:

One is a near 1:1 remake of a PS3 game with a graphical overhaul and one is a brand new Zelda game being made on hardware that is still selling with or outselling next gen consoles month to month globally.

That’s fine. You can reword it all you like.

The fact remains that it’s a game being developed for ancient hardware. Since when does being a “brand new game” or a “Zelda game” justify a higher price tag?

Your post seems to imply I am trying to justify the price-tag of TLOU remake, which I never did.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Meanwhile the Switch just outsold the PS4 in 70% of the time that machine took and it's not even close to being done.

The people constantly whining about Switch power and Switch Pros are a weird echo chamber who don't understand the industry at all.

Understand it just fine, Nintendo is milking the cow for all it's worth. Doesn't change the fact that there are many out there that would love a Zelda that doesn't look like 2013.

AV

They aren't selling me that giant thing until it gets smaller, whether it's a pro or not. I'd love to play PS5 games but the size is comedic. I'd order one today if it were 25% smaller.

Pull the other one.

Interfectum

That’s fine. You can reword it all you like.

The fact remains that it’s a game being developed for ancient hardware. Since when does being a “brand new game” or a “Zelda game” justify a higher price tag?
Since the market has decided $70 remakes are okay along with additional MTX for season passes and skins.

AV

Understand it just fine, Nintendo is milking the cow for all it's worth. Doesn't change the fact that there are many out there that would love a Zelda that doesn't look like 2013.

I would. But I'm still going to play TotK with shitty graphics and so are you. So it literally doesn't matter to them whatsoever, they're still going to get our money and the money of millions of others.

The other what?

It's a UK saying. Means don't try and kid me. A console being by your estimation "25% too big" is not a company not respecting its consumers.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It's a UK saying. Means don't try and kid me. A console being by your estimation "25% too big" is not a company not respecting its consumers.
I never indicated the size of the console showed disrespect towards consumers lol.

I said I’m not buying one at that size, for that price point.

Thanks for the trivia regarding Uk slang though. That, I like.

Sony disrespect their consumers by way of their customer policies, poor communication bordering on lies, and taking advantage by charging $70
for remakes.

You pulled my Sony comment from any entirely different discussion which is why you’re having trouble trying it into this discussion.

Please tell me you didn’t desperately search for my post history to find the first comment relating to Sony you could quote that would serve as my own counter-point.

Post-history is good for a “gotcha” but unless you really nail it, it just looks bad.

Last edited:

Interfectum

That doesn’t justify a game developed on such old hardware to randomly jump in price.

I agree that the market will justify it. I don’t believe it’s a justifiable way to treat your consumers.
The hardware it's being developed on is irrelevant. The reason why prices go up is due to development costs and the state of the current market. Nintendo faces the same development costs as anyone else and is participating in the same market in 2023 regardless of the platform.

THE DUCK

I would. But I'm still going to play TotK with shitty graphics and so are you. So it literally doesn't matter to them whatsoever, they're still going to get our money and the money of millions of others.

That's true they don't care, and they will get my money too, but I don't have to be happy about the shortcomings. I could live with the graphics 6 years ago, it's going to be a lot harder this time. I guess I could buy it and still just emulate it......just seems silly to have to do that.

TintoConCasera

sadly it's the best way to experience Switch games, emulated on PC.
Yeah I have to agree, I tried SMT V on PC when it released and it looked and almost feeled like a different game.

They should have released a Switch Pro, like 2 years ago.

Top Bottom