• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Literary Works of J.R.R. Tolkien Megathread |OT| Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
This brings up the question, did the elvish way of writing come from his handwriting, or did his handwriting become elvish over time? It's especially good and legible considering how vertically squished it is.
It came naturally from his writing, although he may have exaggerated the style somewhat in latter years.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
New 60th anniversary edition of The Lord of the Rings

Since it was first published in 1954, The Lord of the Rings has been a book people have treasured. Steeped in unrivalled magic and otherworldliness, its sweeping fantasy has touched the hearts of young and old alike. Well over 100 million copies of its many editions have been sold around the world, and occasional collectors’ editions become prized and valuable items of publishing.

With the epic trilogy now an acclaimed, award-winning and billion-dollar success, images of the characters and landscapes have become iconic to a whole new generation of readers. Much of the look of these movies is based on Alan Lee’s paintings, giving this sumptuous new edition of Tolkien’s great work new relevance for the ever-growing number of fans.

This new edition is housed in a special transparent slipcase and includes a brand new setting that features the definitive 50th anniversary text, which together with Alan’s beautiful paintings provides the reader with the ultimate edition with which to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the work’s first publication.
Link

MAlvv7y.jpg

bengraven

That looks nice and maybe not so expensive. I've wanted an illustrated (by Howe or Lee, someday one each) edition for years, but have yet to find one affordable.

Loxley

The separate hardcover illustrated editions of LotR are still available through Barnes & Noble as well.

Fellowship - $33.93
The Two Towers - $27.59
The Return of the King - $27.59

They're the versions I have, and they're fantastic. They go great with Alan Lee's illustrated edition of The Hobbit.

I might have to nab the 1991 edition.

One day, I'm going to start a criminal organization that smuggles UK editions of Tolkien books to the States.

I am so there.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It feels like the 50th anniversary edition just came out
It'll be the 100th anniversary of The Hobbit's publication before you know it. Sadly Christopher, unless he is very long lived, will not be with us to see that day. And Tolkien's legacy will be in the control of another, who will have much to live up to.

There is no way anyone else will be as qualified to fill in for Christopher Tolkien. Out of all the Tolkien kids, he has the mind most like his fathers. He alone knew most what his father intended with his writings.

Altazor

it'll be a sad day when Christopher passes away. His contribution to mantaining his father's legacy is unparalleled. Even though I respectfully disagree with his views on the LOTR flm trilogy, I can totally see why he holds such opinions, and we have been fortunate to have one such as him keeping the memory (and the works) of his father alive.

Been playing Final Fantasy Dimensions lately. I think I found a silmarillion reference!

There is a point in the game where you visit some dwarves. Their town is called Aulë

terrisus

So, hey, I have a question for TolkienGAF.

I read through pretty much all of Tolkien's works like 15+ years ago, and have been meaning to go through them again for quite a while, but never seem to get around to it.

The problem now is, due to problems from a stroke last year, my vision is significantly worse/I have trouble with double vision/focusing/etc. Won't go through the long version of all of that, but basically, while it is much better now than it was last year when I had my stroke, my vision still really sucks, and reading a bunch of very strenuous and tiring.

So, at least as kind of a middle-ground fix, I was thinking of listening to audiobook versions of the books.

So, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of good Audiobook versions of The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings/The Silmarillion/etc.

Given the choice, I'd definitely prefer a reading with a British accent, but that's not absolutely necessary.

So, TolkienGAF, any suggestions?

Loxley

I read through pretty much all of Tolkien's works like 15+ years ago, and have been meaning to go through them again for quite a while, but never seem to get around to it.

The problem now is, due to problems from a stroke last year, my vision is significantly worse/I have trouble with double vision/focusing/etc. Won't go through the long version of all of that, but basically, while it is much better now than it was last year when I had my stroke, my vision still really sucks, and reading a bunch of very strenuous and tiring.

So, at least as kind of a middle-ground fix, I was thinking of listening to audiobook versions of the books.

So, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of good Audiobook versions of The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings/The Silmarillion/etc.

Given the choice, I'd definitely prefer a reading with a British accent, but that's not absolutely necessary.

For starters, you can't go wrong with the BBC Radio dramatizations of The Lord of the Rings from 1981 (*edit - assuming you can get your hands them, the CD re-release from 2002 is quite pricey these days).

**double edit - Nevermind, you can get'em digitally on Audible for a decent price :)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

In terms of The Silmarillion; Martin Shaw's narration is good, a slight RP accent. Recommended.

The Lord of the Rings; Rob Inglis' narration is very good and it's not an abridged audiobook. There's also a Martin Shaw version, but it is abridged.

The Hobbit; same as above.

Others options are the highly acclaimed BBC radio dramatizations of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Personally, I'd recommend the BBC radio dramas for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and Martin Shaw's Silmarillion.

terrisus

For starters, you can't go wrong with the BBC Radio dramatizations of The Lord of the Rings from 1981 (*edit - assuming you can get your hands them, the CD re-release from 2002 is quite pricey these days).

**double edit - Nevermind, you can get'em digitally on Audible for a decent price :)

Woo-hoo!

Yeah, I had read the post before the edit, and on a quick search had found them on Amazon for $160, and so was just hopping back in here to ask if you had a suggestion on a good place to get them for a more reasonable price.

$16.41 is definitely much more reasonable.

Looks like they have The Hobbit too.

Awesome, thank you very much =)

terrisus

Edmond Dantès;120102472 said:
In terms of The Silmarillion; Martin Shaw's narration is good, a slight RP accent. Recommended.

The Lord of the Rings; Rob Inglis' narration is very good and it's not an abridged audiobook. There's also a Martin Shaw version, but it is abridged.

The Hobbit; same as above.

Others options are the highly acclaimed BBC radio dramatizations of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Personally, I'd recommend the BBC radio dramas for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and Martin Shaw's Silmarillion.

Thanks very much. Originally I was thinking of posting the question in your Silmarillion thread, but figured the general Tolkien thread was a better place for it since it was more of a general Tolkien question.

I appreciate the great responses =)

terrisus

Checking out the BBC 1981 version of The Hobbit, and it's good, but...

It's not a reading of the actual book.
It's basically a play based off the book.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was hoping for a more actual literal reading of the book.
That is, for them to be saying "Bilbo said," "Galdalf yelled," "Thorin called over to him," etc. as opposed to just different voices for each character and leaving out the structural elements.

Any possibility of me finding that sort of thing anywhere?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was hoping for a more actual literal reading of the book.
That is, for them to be saying "Bilbo said," "Galdalf yelled," "Thorin called over to him," etc. as opposed to just different voices for each character and leaving out the structural elements.

The Rob Inglis and Martin Shaw audibooks are exactly what you want. Also consider Christopher Lee's Children of Hurin audiobook.

terrisus

Edmond Dantès;120144895 said:
The Rob Inglis and Martin Shaw audibooks are exactly what you want. Also consider Christopher Lee's Children of Hurin audiobook.

Awesome, will definitely check them out.

Thank you so much.

terrisus

You know, in retrospect, I should have figured that the BBC version would be play-like, considering it's the "BBC radio dramatization." Just wasn't really thinking I guess.

Anyway though, I got the Rob Inglis reading of The Hobbit, and indeed, it is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you so much, you guys are awesome =)

This is exactly what I thought - I really wasn't keen on the dramatisation.

Edmond mentioned the Inglis audiobook, and I must say that I absolutely love his version!

= edit = - Oh I see that you already got it! Never mind.

With that said, don't forget the LOTR by Inglis too;

I've been listening it on and off for a year or so - starting again once I finish kind of thing.

Here's a taster of the Inglis LOTR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4zd1PzfBRg#t=17m01s

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Been playing Final Fantasy Dimensions lately. I think I found a silmarillion reference!

There is a point in the game where you visit some dwarves. Their town is called Aulë
Speaking Tolkien related places:

Corfe Castle located in Dorset certainly reminds me of Amon Sûl.

w2zxxE7.jpg

ku5JZIY.jpg

9yYxITc.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Pauline Baynes' artwork is second only to Tolkien's own in terms of realisation of Middle-earth. Tolkien himself liked her work, even critiquing when she strayed a little from his vision of certain elements.

DWoWkBa.jpg

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;120345289 said:

w2zxxE7.jpg

Man, it's a bummer being a castle enthusiast and living in the US. Our most famous castle is in Disneyland.
I really want to visit Neuschwanstein.

Edmond Dantès;120574033 said:
Pauline Baynes' artwork is second only to Tolkien's own in terms of realisation of Middle-earth. Tolkien himself liked her work, even critiquing when she strayed a little from his vision of certain elements.

DWoWkBa.jpg

That's some beautiful art. I can see why Tolkien was on board with it.

Altazor

Edmond Dantès;120345289 said:

w2zxxE7.jpg

absolutely beautiful. Was it really an inspiration for the Professor regarding Amon Sûl or it's more like a beautiful coincidence?

Regarding that colored map of Beleriand: what size is Beleriand, anyway? I've seen maps that depict the land pretty much as the same size as the entire 3rd Age M.E. coast and others in which Beleriand's just the western section of Eriador. Any light you could shed on this, Edmond/Loxley/another great Tolkien fan?

maharg

idspispopd
absolutely beautiful. Was it really an inspiration for the Professor regarding Amon Sûl or it's more like a beautiful coincidence?

Regarding that colored map of Beleriand: what size is Beleriand, anyway? I've seen maps that depict the land pretty much as the same size as the entire 3rd Age M.E. coast and others in which Beleriand's just the western section of Eriador. Any light you could shed on this, Edmond/Loxley/another great Tolkien fan?

You can line up the Blue Mountains pretty easily between the Beleriand and Arnor/Eriador maps iirc. The part of Beleriand that actual story takes place in seems quite small compared to the extent of the LotR world to me.

Man, it's a bummer being a castle enthusiast and living in the US. Our most famous castle is in Disneyland.
I really want to visit Neuschwanstein.

There are some random castles built by crazy folks around, I know of a tiny one in Pasadena and there's another in Colorado...none quite so breathtaking though

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

There is evidence to suggest that Tolkien visited that area often as a child. So again, like Sarehole Mill and encounters with spiders, such exposure inspired Tolkien in later life.

Regarding Beleriand, as maharg said; here's a illustration of the loss of land.

FL81tUC.jpg

As far as Beleriand is concerned, a clear nod to Brocéliande; even with Tolkien's criticism of Arthurian legend, he borrowed certain elements, and one must remember his own Fall of Arthur.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Tolkien’s writings linked with The Burren

D9YsyXA.jpg

A Derry-based academic has uncovered evidence suggesting that the world-famous karst landscape of the Burren Region and Celtic legends of the West of Ireland inspired J.R.R. Tolkien in his masterworks: The Lord of The Rings and The Silmarillion.

Following a recent trip to examine the original J.R.R. Tolkien manuscripts and papers at Marquette University in Wisconsin, USA, Tolkien scholar Dr. Liam Campbell will discuss his research findings and their outreach in terms of how the English writer’s acclaimed work has profound and traceable interconnections with Ireland.

Dr Campbell’s talk will feature at the Burren Tolkien Society Festival on August 15-24th.

Organised by the Burren Tolkien Society and supported by Clare County Library and the Burren & Cliffs of Moher Geopark, the Festival will feature contributions from Tolkien experts, writing workshops, screenings, lectures and guided walks of the locations frequented by Tolkien, including Poll na Gollum Cave which event organisers suggest influenced the creation of one of the author’s most famous characters (Gollum).

“An unexpected body of evidence is beginning to emerge that unmasks Ireland and The Burren in particular as a significant influence on Tolkien’s creative imagination,” explained Dr. Campbell, who is a Lecturer in English Literature, Language & Creative Writing at the University of Ulster and North West Regional College.

One of Campbell’s most significant contentions is that Irish myth and the landscape were deeply embedded in Tolkien’s original concept for his imagined secondary world of Middle-earth, and that this conceptual inspiration, in the wake of Tolkien’s visits to Ireland, became copper-fastened during later revisions and rewrites.

“My wider research into Tolkien, Ireland and the Burren has been given real and unforeseen direction through my engagement with these original Marquette papers. Ireland and, in particular, the Burren, it seems may have played a key role in Tolkien’s conceptual design for masterworks such as The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion,” explained Mr. Campbell.

Tolkien visited the West of Ireland on many occasions and spent considerable time in the Burren when he held the position of External Examiner to the English Department of NUI Galway between 1949 and 1959, during which time he revised and published The Lord of the Rings. Diarmuid Murphy, a former head of the English Department at NUI Galway, became firm friends with Tolkien during his time in Ireland.

According to Dr. Campbell: “My research has shown that some very late alterations to The Lord of the Rings, including an entire very late passage that speaks of a risen and rugged landscape, very much mirroring the Burren in some extremely revealing and specific aspects. Having knowledge of Tolkien’s editing techniques, researched for specific evidences, and knowing of the chronology of Tolkien’s rewrites, I can place this addition to a main section of The Lord of the Rings to amongst the very last things to be added – and thus after the period he had actually experienced The Burren for himself.”

Dr. Campbell noted there are also clear parallels to be drawn between the Tuatha de Danann, Tolkien’s Elves and their lands in Tolkien’s fiction.

He continued: “Tolkien was very conversant with not just Celtic Mythology but the specifics of the Tuatha de Danann and even mentioned them to his son Christopher as an inspirational founding myth for aspects of his fiction. This relates also to the great wars between the Tuatha and the Formorians, which are echoed in and ring through Tolkien’s major narratives in very profound ways that connect the landscapes of the Burren and the West of Ireland to the landscapes of Middle-earth.”

“If we add all this to the fact that Tolkien would often take a sketch pad with him and actually created detailed drawings and even watercolours of the Irish landscape, we certainly have something noteworthy here,” concluded Dr. Campbell.

The Burren Tolkien Society Festival gets underway on Friday 15th August with the official opening featuring Tolkien-inspired food, drink and music at Burren College of Art in Ballyvaughan. The day also includes a Tolkien-themed Art Workshop at Ennistymon Library facilitated by illustrator and founder of Coimici Gael, Aidan Courtney; and a Burren Activity Trail Event hosted by Wild Kitchen in Lahinch.

The main event of Saturday 16th August will be Dr. Liam Campbell’s talk at Burren College of Art which will be followed by presentations by Professor John Gillespie and Mark Maher. The day will also feature a talk entitled called ‘Why read Tolkien’ by Seamus Ryan of Clare County Library at Ennistymon Library, as well as a Creative Writing Workshop with acclaimed Poet and Fiction writer Frank Golden, followed by music at the Roadside Tavern in Lisdoonvarna.

Activities and events on Sunday 17th August include a photography presentation and workshop entitled ‘In Search of Middle Earth’ by local Burren-based photographer Carsten Krieger at Burren College of Art. The Roadside Tavern will host a Tolkien treasure hunt and fancy dress family fun event followed by a ‘Lord of the Rings’ hog roast. On Monday 18th August, Lisdoonvarna Public Library will host a Tolkien exhibition and book display, Burren Walking Trips will host a ‘Cairns & Clochans’ Hike, while Café Linnalla in New Quay hosts Monday’s Ice Cream Sundae, part of the Burren Food Series.

Other events taking place during the week include a Burren Ancient Wells & Farming Folklore walk, a Prehistoric Forts & Famine Village walk, a screening of “The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug”, an on location ‘Oil Painting in the Burren’ session in the company of artist Doreen Drennan, Afternoon Tea at Gregans Castle, a reading at Poll na Gollum, the cave believed to have inspired the name of one of Tolkien’s most memorable characters.
Link

He's certainly right about the Tuatha Dé Danann; not only did Tolkien mention them to Christopher but 'Tuatha Dé Danann' was to be a chapter in his abandoned Lost Road time-travel story.

I look forward to the proceedings being published.

Jacob

Reading "The Book of Lost Tales", I always got the impression that Tolkien was intensely jealous of the Irish for the (relative) extent to which their native mythology was preserved. BoLT is in a way an elaborate attempt at constructing a world in which the English have a closer connection to faerie than the Irish, complete with put-downs aimed explicitly at the Irish. For example, in one fragment, published in BoLT II in the chapter "The History of Eriol or Ælfwine and the End of the Tales", Tolkien writes:

Thus it is that through Eriol and his sons the Engle (i.e. the English) have the true tradition of the fairies, of whom the Iras and the Wealas (the Irish and the Welsh) tell garbled things.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Reading "The Book of Lost Tales", I always got the impression that Tolkien was intensely jealous of the Irish for the (relative) extent to which their native mythology was preserved. BoLT is in a way an elaborate attempt at constructing a world in which the English have a closer connection to faerie than the Irish, complete with put-downs aimed explicitly at the Irish. For example, in one fragment, published in BoLT II in the chapter "The History of Eriol or Ælfwine and the End of the Tales", Tolkien writes:
Jealousy, envy and the inspiration of the likes of Sturluson, Lönnrot and others were amongst the major driving forces for Tolkien and his mythology for England. He tried to emulate the aforementioned writers in giving their regions a 'mythical history'. He failed in that regard though, his Simarillion mythos is virtually unknown by the general public here. But mention Arthur, or Beowulf even, and people at least feign understanding.

Jacob

Tolkien stripped away most of the more explicit references to England (particularly to English geography) in the '20s and '30s though. I think it's telling that in the famous letter in which he describes the mythology project, he specifically states that it was an idea he used to have, but "[his] crest is long since fallen". The Silmarillion is certainly as rich and wondrous as many a genuine mythology (or at least, as what has come down to the present time), but it's connection to England is more one of inspiration and perhaps tone than anything else, rather than still being "a mythology for England", as Humphrey Carpenter put it. IMO, of course.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Tolkien stripped away most of the more explicit references to England (particularly to English geography) in the '20s and '30s though. I think it's telling that in the famous letter in which he describes the mythology project, he specifically states that it was an idea he used to have, but "[his] crest is long since fallen". The Silmarillion is certainly as rich and wondrous as many a genuine mythology (or at least, as what has come down to the present time), but it's connection to England is more one of inspiration and perhaps tone than anything else, rather than still being "a mythology for England", as Humphrey Carpenter put it. IMO, of course.
Indeed. But elements of the 'English mythology' do survive even into his most well known works; the Elf-friend theme that was to be prevalent in the aforementioned myth is evident in both Frodo and Bilbo who are Elf-friends akin to Eriol/Ælfwine (which translates as Elf-friend).

Jacob

Agreed. I find it interesting that Tolkien was still playing around with the idea that Eriol/Elfwine was responsible for helping to preserve The Silmarillion myths even after he'd come up with the idea for Bilbo's "Translations from the Elvish". Clearly a lot of the early stuff remained near and dear to his heart.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
An open question to anyone who wants to see The Silmarillion adapted for the big screen; why? Why not the Tale of Kullervo (and other tales from The Kalevala), aspects of the Volsunga Saga particularly Sigurd, Culhwch and Olwen and other primary myths that many of the tales in The Silmarillion are mererly derivatives of.

Is it the allure of Middle-earth? The characters? The themes explored? The more adult nature of the Sil? The scope?

I am intrigued.

Edmond Dantès;122055802 said:
An open question to anyone who wants to see The Silmarillion adapted for the big screen; why? Why not the Tale of Kullervo (and other tales from The Kalevala), aspects of the Volsunga Saga particularly Sigurd, Culhwch and Olwen and other primary myths that many of the tales in The Silmarillion are mererly derivatives of.

Is it the allure of Middle-earth? The characters? The themes explored? The more adult nature of the Sil? The scope?

I am intrigued.

I wouldn't mind seeing aspects of the Silmarillion explored in film. I don't think we could do a whole thing unless they planned an HBO series. I'd be interested to see certain themes explored and how they would handle certain elements. I loved the idea of Guillermo del Toro making the Hobbit films different in tones, and would like to see that span the whole Silmarillion and see different directors handle portions of the overall narrative.

I think the allure for me is the depth, and richness of it all. The themes are wondrous but they're explored in such a rich way and the whole grand painting of this world he does is breathtaking.

Also speaking of films...

Did you hear about how there are plans to make two competing Tolkien Biopics?

J.R.R. Tolkien Lives in Two New Biopics

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I wouldn't mind seeing aspects of the Silmarillion explored in film. I don't think we could do a whole thing unless they planned an HBO series. I'd be interested to see certain themes explored and how they would handle certain elements. I loved the idea of Guillermo del Toro making the Hobbit films different in tones, and would like to see that span the whole Silmarillion and see different directors handle portions of the overall narrative.

I think the allure for me is the depth, and richness of it all. The themes are wondrous but they're explored in such a rich way and the whole grand painting of this world he does is breathtaking.

Also speaking of films...

Did you hear about how there are plans to make two competing Tolkien Biopics?

J.R.R. Tolkien Lives in Two New Biopics
Indeed. The Sil has music and art permeating its very narrative core. How that would translate to the big screen or even TV is quite difficult to envisage without losing the tapestry of Light and Music; the two fundamental tenets of the Sil.

The two biopics are interesting; now that the works have been adapted, we move on to the authors themselves. And their lives were thoroughly interesting. I don't expect accuracy of the highest order, but something that at least portrays Tolkien as he deserves to be. The same goes for C.S Lewis.

Grandi

Edmond Dantès;122055802 said:

I am intrigued.
I'm not an expert on Kalevala and I have only read parts of it, but as a Finnish person I personally think that no other language than Finnish could do the Tale of Kullervo (or any other tales from the Kalevala) justice on the big screen. It would just feel extremely awkward to see it acted out in English. I think Finnish history, landscapes/nature, culture and language are such an integral part of the stories of Kalevala, that aspects of the stories would just get lost in translation. But the Finnish film industry is just too minuscule and ham-fisted in its efforts to emulate the style of Hollywood cinema, to really do the tales of Kalevala justice on the big screen. And I don't see Hollywood making a sizeable budget movie about Kalevala in Finnish, there's just no way it would happen.

Now The Silmarillion I have read a couple of times and I think it's just too vast of a tale to be adapted for the big screen as one movie, a cohesive trilogy or what have you. A Game of Thrones-style series would suit it better, or maybe a format that emulated BBC's Sherlock (shorter series, longer running time per episode). But maybe the best solution would be adaptations of the different major stories as semi-independent movies, interlinked by a TV-series that explained the backstory in greater detail.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm not an expert on Kalevala and I have only read parts of it, but as a Finnish person I personally think that no other language than Finnish could do the Tale of Kullervo (or any other tales from the Kalevala) justice on the big screen. It would just feel extremely awkward to see it acted out in English. I think Finnish history, landscapes/nature, culture and language are such an integral part of the stories of Kalevala, that aspects of the stories would just get lost in translation. But the Finnish film industry is just too minuscule and ham-fisted in its efforts to emulate the style of Hollywood cinema, to really do the tales of Kalevala justice on the big screen. And I don't see Hollywood making a sizeable budget movie about Kalevala in Finnish, there's just no way it would happen.

Now The Silmarillion I have read a couple of times and I think it's just too vast of a tale to be adapted for the big screen as one movie, a cohesive trilogy or what have you. A Game of Thrones-style series would suit it better, or maybe a format that emulated BBC's Sherlock (shorter series, longer running time per episode). But maybe the best solution would be adaptations of the different major stories as semi-independent movies, interlinked by a TV-series that explained the backstory in greater detail.
I agree entirely regarding The Kalevala and The Silmarillion.

For me live action may not be able to convey The Sil as Tolkien envisaged. With an animation though, such boundaries would wither away. The Ainulindalë in particular would be best depicted in such a manner.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Thursday marks the 60th anniversary of the publication of The Fellowship of the Ring.

How different would modern fantasy be if Tolkien had stopped writing after The Hobbit?

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;122215036 said:
Thursday marks the 60th anniversary of the publication of The Fellowship of the Ring.

How different would modern fantasy be if Tolkien had stopped writing after The Hobbit?

It really is interesting to think about where fantasy would have gone without him. He'd succeeded in his goal of creating a great, distinctly English mythology so well that the Legendarium has had an influence in some way on most modern fantasy - at the very least in western cultures. It makes me wonder if western fantasy would have alternatively been much more heavily influenced by, say, Asian fantasy down the road.

Heck, most fantasy that comes out of the US is either heavily influenced by English or Asian fantasy. I've often wondered what a distinctly American take on the genre would look like. Seeing as fantasy often sprouts from the deepest roots of any given culture, I would think it could take great inspiration from the Native American folklore and legends.

BRB, gonna go write that book.

That's like asking how history would be different without an important historical figure, or if Nintendo stopped with the Donkey Kong Arcade cabinet.

60 years. Two or three generations growing up with those books.

It really is interesting to think about where fantasy would have gone without him. He'd succeeded in his goal of creating a great, distinctly English mythology so well that the Legendarium has had an influence in some way on most modern fantasy - at the very least in western cultures. It makes me wonder if western fantasy would have alternatively been much more heavily influenced by, say, Asian fantasy down the road.

Heck, most fantasy that comes out of the US is either heavily influenced by English or Asian fantasy. I've often wondered what a distinctly American take on fantasy would look like. Seeing as fantasy often sprouts from the deepest roots of any given culture, I would think it could take great inspiration from the Native American folklore and legends.

BRB, gonna go write that book.

There are a lot of peoples and stories, would be interesting. I wonder if its been done- fiction set in, or influenced by, these cosmologies. I want to say I've seen a graphic novel along these lines but don't know for sure.

You could easily find this stuff but I'm going to post it anyway. Creation myths are a good starting place, there are a lot of fables and rituals to consider too.

Library of Congress : American Indians of the Pacific Northwest

small collection

MYTHS AND LEGENDS OF THE GREAT PLAINS

edit: something else to consider (vaguely in this arena) The Song of Hiawatha

Norfair

I just wanted to share with you guys some copies of the books I managed to get in a flea market today. They are pretty worn but otherwise complete. Staples are holding the fellowship together!

Oh cool, my dad had that version of Fellowship. I grew up reading it.

Dalthien

I just wanted to share with you guys some copies of the books I managed to get in a flea market today. They are pretty worn but otherwise complete. Staples are holding the fellowship together!

Those are the versions that I have. Thankfully, mine have held up in better shape!

jason10mm

Gold Member

QUITE different, I think. LOTR in particular really solidified concepts of elves, orcs, and dwarves, IMHO. While they are all in the Hobbit, it is LOTR that gave them the semi-serious treatment that inspired all the DnD fantasy stuff.

without LOTR I think fantasy would be more like Robert Howard's Conan, a more historical basis with far fewer fantastical elements that are either animalistic (ape-men, lizard-men, etc) or classic mythology derived (medusa, hydra, etc). While middle earth is technically earth it is far less recognizable than hyboria. Edgar Rice Burroughs is another good example. I'm sure someone would have drawn from Celtic/norse mythology as well, but I'm not sure the powerful elf/orc/dwarf/human hierarchy would have arisen, maybe more fairy/giant stuff?

Top Bottom