• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
F2P sign-ups and all that are probably still in flux, I'd wait until later in the day before messing with that.

Teknoman said:
Are there any videos of boss fights with the actual music from the game?

Haha, I tried looking but they all have shitty music dubbed over them. I know it's hardly the same but here are a couple tracks from some of the dungeons/bosses. The game has pretty excellent music, although this isn't a very diverse sample of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDChXBhe6-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmG8vYiXU4A

chiba

Can anyone tell me how easy/fast it would be to hook up with a friend if he went dorf, and say I went man? I'm not sure how starter cities work in this game. Thanks.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
chiba said:
Can anyone tell me how easy/fast it would be to hook up with a friend if he went dorf, and say I went man? I'm not sure how starter cities work in this game. Thanks.

You could join up almost instantly, since there a swift travel between those two starting zones. Just go to the West Bree-Town gate horse master and travel to Thorin's Hall, or have him do the opposite (TH to Bree).

Wallach

chiba said:

As soon as both of you are done with the prologue/intro scenario (which to be honest I have no idea how long this takes anymore, but probably around level 5) you can swift travel to any of the races' capital cities. So you just need to decide if you are going to start in the Dwarf region or the Man region from there.

firex

just going to offer some quick thoughts on a few months of playing Guardian, Warden and Burglar (in order of most to least).

Guardian is very straightforward, pretty powerful solo and in groups, easy to pick up if you want to tank. Tanking is a little tougher to manage than in WoW in the sense that threat management can be a little more mysterious, since there's no interface addons to show threat levels for everybody in the party. On the other hand, nobody is so squishy they die in a single hit. The class has a fun core mechanic built around blocking/parrying and then opening up a series of attacks based off one initial counter-attack. This class's tanking style is very upfront and snap-aggro based, in the sense that you will build threat in chunks with attacks as you land them. Guardian is a little bit of a stereotypical knight kind of class, with the heavy armor, and either swinging a big two-handed weapon (especially when soloing) or using a 1h+shield combo to smack enemies around.

Warden is pretty complicated and I highly recommend soloing it as far as you can go. I played it in a near-permanent group with two of my friends and it made it pretty tough to play. The reason is wardens build combos, and for most mobs in a group you're never going to build up a big combo to use your finishers. That said, wardens have way less buttons to press than guardians (3 different combo skills that you build into finishers) so it becomes more about memorizing how to build combos properly. It's not really like a fighting game. Also it's stronger solo because they can stack up a ton of self-healing abilities and damage over time abilities on the mobs they fight, which lets them take on really tough monsters pretty easily. That said, the one drawback I noticed with this class is it uses a LOT of power (MP, the blue bar) so you want to find some ways to address that through traits and higher level abilities. They don't deal as much snap-aggro as a guardian, at least when I played (up until April of this year) but for a long fight they are way tougher to steal aggro from. They also get tons, and I mean tons, of cool personal utility things like a travel form that more or less negates the crappy first mount you can buy, and lots of personal teleports (LotRO is a low-magic world, so you aren't literally teleporting, but it's how they function) to virtually all major cities in the world.

Burglar is pretty cool and the kind of class I wish the WoW rogue was, at least to a certain extent. You have stealth and dual wielding, you have pickpocketing and other rogue-related tricks, and you have a ton of cool debuffs and other things you can trigger so that you're actually pretty resilient for a light->medium armor class. Unlike the WoW rogue, you aren't built around spamming one or two abilities to get to 5 combo points and then unleashing a finisher. You just choose the right attack for the situation.

I'd also say the easiest class to play for a beginner is either Runekeeper (very straightforward and pretty good damage early on) or Hunter (excellent damage and simple to figure out) even though I didn't really like either class much.

firex said:
Burglar is pretty cool and the kind of class I wish the WoW rogue was, at least to a certain extent. You have stealth and dual wielding, you have pickpocketing and other rogue-related tricks, and you have a ton of cool debuffs and other things you can trigger so that you're actually pretty resilient for a light->medium armor class. Unlike the WoW rogue, you aren't built around spamming one or two abilities to get to 5 combo points and then unleashing a finisher. You just choose the right attack for the situation.

Don't forget the fellowship maneuvers. We always need a burglar for raids (unlike WoW where rogue is pretty much useless in raids).

TimeKillr

hamchan said:
Brandywine is the official GAF server. I don't know if there's a GAF guild on it though.

There is - joined it last night. :)

Gonna play a bit more, anyway.

I have a level 14 Champion - strangely Champions play somewhat like WoW rogues without stealth - there's combo points (Fervour) that build up from a few attacks and you can use finishers that eat a specific amount of combo points.

What's nice is that finishers use a specific amount of Fervour, so if you are at max Fervour (5) you can use two finishers that use 2 Fervours in a row. It's fun.

Seeing how Wardens are, though, I think I would've loved to play one, but hey. I'll probably be grouping with 2 friends most of the time, so it won't matter much from what I read.

Einbroch

Banned
What's the least played class in this game?

I hate to be "that guy", but I really like playing underplayed classes in MMOs.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Have they made any changes to how the combat feels since the original? I really enjoyed most of the game apart from how the combat felt, not sure how to describe it, but it felt like there was a disconnect from pressing the button to attacking.

Not sure if I described it right, but it didn't feel as 'solid' as something like WoW.

Also when is it coming to Europe?

TimeKillr

Ikuu said:
Have they made any changes to how the combat feels since the original? I really enjoyed most of the game apart from how the combat felt, not sure how to describe it, but it didn't felt like there was a disconnect from pressing the button to attacking.

Not sure if I described it right, but it didn't feel as 'solid' as something like WoW.

I felt the exact same way.

What the game is missing is animated feedback from mobs when you hit them - but the rest of the game is fantastic, so I'm not worried too much.

firex

NemesisPrime said:
Don't forget the fellowship maneuvers. We always need a burglar for raids (unlike WoW where rogue is pretty much useless in raids).
I actually did forget about that, just because I never really got to group with my burglar.

also Einbroch, in my experience, I never noticed a real least-played class. although I think I played on Landroval or some other server that was a bit of a ghost town. I really don't know if there's an overall census of classes, but you could always google it to see.

Gwanatu T

I think I'm finally going to get in to this game. In my MMO haydays I was always playing EQ2 and WoW, and never had time to fit a third one in. Now that I'm done with EQ2 (don't have the time for it anymore), and between the months where we have money to play WoW, maybe LOTRO will fill the void.

Trying to set up an account and getting network errors. How is the minstrel class? I always want to play bard like classes but they've always sucked since EQ.

firex

did not play minstrel personally, but it's more of a healer than it is a bard in the D&D/EQ sense. although they are bard-like in their equipment choices. hopefully someone who played the class more can give you some info.

Shanadeus

Banned
Alright I'm having quite a problem setting up my account, it also won't accept my account name as I have a DDO subscription on it.
Could anyone give me a buddy trial key of some sort?

notworksafe

Shanadeus said:
Alright I'm having quite a problem setting up my account, it also won't accept my account name as I have a DDO subscription on it.
Could anyone give me a buddy trial key of some sort?
Sure. I got a zillion buddy keys when I bought moria. Just send me a PM and I'll hook you up.

Ok how the hell do you sign up for an account, got the game, and got a turbine account, but it keeps asking for product activation key to activate the lotr sub

notworksafe

Are free accounts maybe available yet? They said the 10th, but not what time.

Also no more buddy keys left. 15 keys in 10 minutes! You guys are quick!

Shanadeus

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Ok how the hell do you sign up for an account, got the game, and got a turbine account, but it keeps asking for product activation key to activate the lotr sub
You could try using this http://trial.turbine.com/index.php

notworksafe: Your key worked just fine with me, currently in a queue for Brandywine - looks like a pretty high population server so I might switch to Silverlode if these queues are common. I wonder if I'll be able to create a runewarden with this trial account.

EDIT: Nope, is acting just like any other free-to-play account it seems.

notworksafe

It should be a Moria trial, so I think you can make the Moria classes. You probably won't be able to keep it after the 14 days unless you buy access to the class, however.

If you join up on Silverlode, just send a tell to Bamavald, Scarce, or Jeeperskeepers (me) and we'll toss you an invite to our kinship.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Shanadeus said:
You could try using this http://trial.turbine.com/index.php

notworksafe: Your key worked just fine with me, currently in a queue for Brandywine - looks like a pretty high population server so I might switch to Silverlode if these queues are common. I wonder if I'll be able to create a runewarden with this trial account.

EDIT: Nope, is acting just like any other free-to-play account it seems.

I will also have some keys later this afternoon when I get home.

As to the wait queues, that's why I set up on Riddermark with some other Gaffers, its a new server, so it won't be packed and being f2p won't have to wait too long to get in. I think as the number of f2pers grows, Brandywine may get really frustrating to get into on weekends.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
firex said:
did not play minstrel personally, but it's more of a healer than it is a bard in the D&D/EQ sense. although they are bard-like in their equipment choices. hopefully someone who played the class more can give you some info.

Quick reply before I go to work. Minstrels are great healers, that can grow up to be extreme burst DPS given a certain trait line at max level. they heal in huge chunks and require a large power pool. I love my minstrel, but the playstyle isn't for everyone.

I'll be starting a low level Warden later tonight to dual-box with a freeplay mini. cya on Brandywine, GAF!
ScreenShot00036-1.jpg

Shanadeus

Banned
AndyD said:
I will also have some keys later this afternoon when I get home.

As to the wait queues, that's why I set up on Riddermark with some other Gaffers, its a new server, so it won't be packed and being f2p won't have to wait too long to get in. I think as the number of f2pers grows, Brandywine may get really frustrating to get into on weekends.
I'll see where I end up finally, will just try to get a feel for the game now.

Owensboro

Sweet, gonna DL this when I get home and give it a try. Due to my horrible problem enjoying healing more then fighting (I Loooooooved being a Priest in WoW) I'm going to give Minstrel a try. Hopefully this doesn't completely backfire in my face.

I'm reading the Wiki now..... holy crap there is an overwhelming amount of information to go through.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I've got a character on Brandywine, Eyviindur. What's the name of the GAF guild?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Ikuu said:
Have they made any changes to how the combat feels since the original? I really enjoyed most of the game apart from how the combat felt, not sure how to describe it, but it felt like there was a disconnect from pressing the button to attacking.

Yeah, they've fixed that, it's a lot more responsive now.

aidan said:
I've got a character on Brandywine, Eyviindur. What's the name of the GAF guild?

Valar Morghulis

Einbroch said:
What's the least played class in this game?

I hate to be "that guy", but I really like playing underplayed classes in MMOs.

Just don't play a Hunter and you'll be fine.

You may want to avoid Riddermark as well, I know a lot of people who are flooding to it and the community has sort of designated it as the new unofficial PvMP server. It's got a popular name.

Rubezh

I'd like to remind everybody to uninstall Pando Media Booster once the installation is done. It's a piece of shit.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
ACE 1991 said:
Alright guys, F2P program is up. I made a human champion on Brandywine named Funa. How do I join the GAF guild?

Send a tell to Vierge or Teladain, or I'll just add your character to my friends list and get ahold of you when you log on.

Tideas

Banned
I already bought Mines of Moria, but it won't get to me til next Friday. Anyone got a Mines of Moria trial key I can use in the meantime?

forrest

formerly nacire
I've played the beta for this one, a couple of trials and actually did some artwork for this way back in 2003. Gonna give it a go. I played a hunter in wow from day 1 and was pretty decent. Prolly gonna roll with the hunter class as I just love ranged dps. Also hoping to not be "that guy"! :lol

I'm not sure which server I'll roll on, but I do want to be with a large GAF populace.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
nacire said:
I've played the beta for this one, a couple of trials and actually did some artwork for this way back in 2003. Gonna give it a go. I played a hunter in wow from day 1 and was pretty decent. Prolly gonna roll with the hunter class as I just love ranged dps. Also hoping to not be "that guy"! :lol

I'm not sure which server I'll roll on, but I do want to be with a large GAF populace.

Brandywine, if you don't mind a higher population server.

So I'm totally going to get into this this afternoon. I played a while back with a 10 day trial or something and I remember enjoying it but I was too busy with WoW to pay for another game, but now it's free! Hooray!

I always tank it up so I figure I'll go guardian, but looking at the wiki it seems like the races do play a pretty serious role in how "good" the class plays. Now, I hate seeing this question, let alone asking it, but is there a "best" race for guardians (I figure dorf), and would I be crazy for going race of Man?

I ask because I'm a horrible bigot and can't not play a human in MMOs.

Top Bottom