• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE MUSIC DRAFT - DRAFTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
5 more I decided not to go with, narrowing it down to 5:
The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues
Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Session
Animal Collective - Sung Tongs
Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day
Husker Du - Zen Arcade

teepo

i keep narrowing it down. wont be choosing any of these.
Wipers - Youth Of America,
Steve Reich - 18 Musicians
Gas - Koenigsforst
Biosphere - Substrata
Daft Punk - Homework
Oval - 94 Diskomnt
Dead Can Dance's - both Serpent and Realm
any of the Brian Eno's ambient series

Meliorism

Albums I am not picking in this final round:

...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Source Tags and Codes
Bear Vs. Shark - Terrorhawk
any Beulah album
any Bjork album
Black Flag - Damaged
any Converge album

Ah, nevermind. I was gonna go through my library and pick and choose albums that I wasn't gonna pick, but that would be silly.

Seven I'm not picking:

10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe
Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session
Hüsker Dü - New Day Rising
Bob Mould - Workbook
New Model Army - Thunder and Consolation
The Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Ultra Vivid Scene - Rev

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Really you guys just have more appreciation for the oldies than I do. If I go further back than the 90s, I'm out of my element for the most part.

AlternativeUlster

Chamber said:
Really you guys just have more appreciation for the oldies than I do. If I go further back than the 90s, I'm out of my element for the most part.

There is so much splendid music in the past though. You should go through and check out some of the great records in this thread good sir is the only advice I can give to eventually break you out of that habit.

not picking:
bjork - homogenic
jeff buckley - grace
cornelius - fantasma
broken social scene - forgot it in people
the graduate soundtrack
nick drake - pink moon
stereolab - emperor tomato ketchup
the wrens - meadowlands

AlternativeUlster

muttyeah416 said:
not picking:
bjork - homogenic
jeff buckley - grace
cornelius - fantasma
broken social scene - forgot it in people
the graduate soundtrack
nick drake - pink moon
stereolab - emperor tomato ketchup
the wrens - meadowlands

Pink Moon has already been picked Mutt anyways.

Pink_Floyd_-_Animals-front.jpg

Pink Floyd - Animals

Chamber

love on your sleeve
AlternativeUlster said:
There is so much splendid music in the past though. You should go through and check out some of the great records in this thread good sir is the only advice I can give to eventually break you out of that habit.
Oh, I'm definitely planning on going through the albums in this thread. I haven't heard 90% of this stuff and I'm looking forward to it.

swoon

i'm shocked by the lack of neil young.

my final pick was between tonight's the night, the james carr album i picked and curtis mayfield - curtis

swoon said:
i'm shocked by the lack of neil young.

my final pick was between tonight's the night, the james carr album i picked and curtis mayfield - curtis

I had a Crosby Stills Nash and Young album... but yeah if I hadn't picked that one I would have done a solo Young album.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
My pick for #10:

Ben Folds - Rockin' the Suburbs

I could not love Ben Folds more than I already do. His music is, at once, quirky and conventional, heartfelt and superficial, sentimental and cynical. Above all, he is supremely talented, and while his main instrument is the piano, here he plays EVERYTHING himself.

As for the record, it's a brilliant collection, written with pure pop sensibilities. It's also a jumping off point for a slightly more mature sound than the one achieved with Ben Folds Five, as the title track is really the only one which relies on his frequent tendency to crack wise when writing songs. The rest of the record is an intoxicating mix of great pop songs and heart tugging ballads. The tantalizing potential shown by Folds during his stint with Ben Folds Five was fully reached, in my estimation, on this record. It's a can't miss....

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
My final pick is one of my all-time favorite records:

Don Caballero - What Burns Never Returns

Kevtones

Karma Kramer said:
I was going to be a little upset if you didn't kev. I was thinking about it... glad you did though.

I would've been upset with myself. I sort of expected it to last but it really the perfect capper :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom