• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next Character Fad?

Birdo

Banned
Okay, I may have cherry picked for this image, but you get the idea.

Do you think there will be a new character fad with the next gen? It feels like's we've done everything except sentient objects (GloverLOL).

Zb3WbBt.jpg

Freeman

Banned
Of the these three fads the generic action man is the least inspired.

Alloy looks a bit retarded, ME lady looks very retarded and something is really wrong about that Gears lady but I don't know what it is (I think it's the hair).

Volcano High is an abomination and must be stopped.

I hope the next fad is normal looking people with proper facial animation like Ellie.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Okay, I may have cherry picked for this image, but you get the idea.

Do you think there will be a new character fad with the next gen? It feels like's we've done everything except sentient objects (GloverLOL).

Zb3WbBt.jpg
I'm hoping "Mu Strong" dies a little bit, even though I think it won't. That said, Ciri and Lara don't deserve to be in that list based on their portraits, let alone the other reasons.

I think I'm ok with the "WTF", whatever suits your taste.
I get that I'm not the "target audience" of everything and that's fine, wish more people were like that.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm fine with "Mu Strong Wamen" as long as they don't look like roided out East German athletes.

Like we all have access to Instagram where you can see millions of pictures of what actual fit women look like.

I think part of the shift away from "Generic Action Dude" was a bit of an over correction but I'm sure developers will end up making games with that archetype once enough time has passed.

e0n

For fixed characters, you're still going to see mostly humans. Female characters and other races are unlikely to stop. I guess there's probably going to be more stylized looks since not all devs can push the graphics to it's fullest.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hopefully females will look more like this
luc-begin-girl-fstage-0081nbw.jpg

nacha-studio-f2.jpg

Which isn't sexualised, isn't unrealistically pretty
Both are plain Jane's in general although attractive in their own way

Instead of this
The-Last-Of-Us-Part-2-Does-Abby-die-Naughty-Dogs-ending-is-terrible.jpg

Which looks a teenage boy from Russia called Sacha

Last edited:

Vaelka

I am a bit confused by the '' strong woman '' part.
Do you just not like female characters in games or?...

I do think that there is a trend in AAA games especially of female characters being designed to look bland and very average ( note that the men still look like models and use hair gel and are often perfectly shaved all over ).
But that's not consistent in your examples.
I mean people complain that the female characters in Overwatch have similar faces ( I think people are exaggerating tbh ), but the overall design of the game is very unique as far as big AAA western game goes. It's not exactly a fad or a trend even if some want to claim that it is, it's pretty rare.
I don't get Amara and Ciri either?

With that said, give me more '' WTF '' lol.

GymWolf

Hopefully females will look more like this
luc-begin-girl-fstage-0081nbw.jpg

nacha-studio-f2.jpg

Instead of this
The-Last-Of-Us-Part-2-Does-Abby-die-Naughty-Dogs-ending-is-terrible.jpg
Is the second screen a vg render or a real photo??

Edit: ok it's a render but on my tablet little screen it looks almost real...

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Until recently (lower quality gifs i think did it, all sparkley) I thought the "salt" was glitter and I can't not see that now. So I've never associated it with saying someone is being salty.

I just thought it meant "Haters gonna hate", but you say it in a really camp voice. I guess it does kinda mean that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bartski

Gold Member
I think we'll see plenty of both oppression jockeys on the left and woke hunters on the right getting pissed off one way or another

Until recently (lower quality gifs i think did it, all sparkley) I thought the "salt" was glitter and I can't not see that now. So I've never associated it with saying someone is being salty.

I just thought it meant "Haters gonna hate", but you say it in a really camp voice. I guess it does kinda mean that :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It's fucking SALT BAE!

Freeman

Banned
Dude tlou2 is my game of the year for now, do you really think that i'm salty because i don't like the edgy bitch? I liked abby far more if that can help you...
Damn, what has Ellie done to you? But I probably liked Abby more in the game as well, Laura Bailey did a great job.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Damn, what has Ellie done to you?
I don't particualrly like the edgy brat archetype in videogames, i barely like atreus from gow for the same reason but he is more likeable in the end.

I don't find her endearing or nothing, just annoying.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
I don't particualrly like the edgy brat archetype in videogames, i barely like atreus from gow for the same reason but he is more likeable in the end.

I don't find her endearing or nothing, just annoying.
I liked her already from the first game so that transferred, I think they did some interesting thing with her, she is a bit of a Joel wanna be, while at the same time she is mad at him but actually loves him. She is also a bit cringe but that's fine.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Of the these three fads the generic action man is the least inspired.

Alloy looks a bit retarded, ME lady looks very retarded and something is really wrong about that Gears lady but I don't know what it is (I think it's the hair).

Volcano High is an abomination and must be stopped.

I hope the next fad is normal looking people with proper facial animation like Ellie.

Problem with the Gears of War woman is she looks like she just got out of the hair salon... in a war torn world. Makes perfect sense.

Hinedorf

Banned
Counterpoint: In the era of the Wamen we saw in my opinion the greatest video game protagonist come to be. We also saw games of the year won by a father/son story line. And probably the greatest new titles in one of the oldest franchises of all time in Zelda. Just because women are getting main titles doesn't mean they're getting the biggest spotlight, they're just finally being included.

intro-1581383437.jpg
God-of-War-Kratos-Atreus.jpg
zelda-breath-of-the-wild.original.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom