• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official 2009 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread

GhaleonQ said:
GameReactor Sweden:
Best Music
- Halo 3: ODST

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Best Portable Game
- Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

That would explain it.

??? Outside of DJ Hero, I would say that ODST had the best music I've heard all year. It was great.

AniHawk

Cheesemeister said:
Thanks, added. Uncharted 2 has a big lead already. What are the odds Mario gets shut out after Galaxy did so well?

Pretty high. Nobody really cares that NSMBW is a better game than Galaxy. And Galaxy "lost" the overall count to Bioshock in 2007. Not that either one deserved to do better than The Orange Box, but Bioshock was the more generic and forgettable one of the two.

And then last year, GTA IV got the most, which is similarly laughable. One thing's for sure: the more your game resembles a movie, the higher the possibility it will rank highly among critics at the end of the year. Kinda like how Oscar-nominated films are stuff like The Reader and not stuff like Back to the Future.

Next year is going to be interesting. This time last year I would have said that Uncharted 2 was going to do it, out of confidence in Naughty Dog and the IP.

For 2010 though. . .I have no idea. If Cage pulls off his aims, Heavy Rain will probably be my personal GOTY, but as for the media. . .no idea. None at all.

So many good games next year and loads more to be revealed.

AniHawk

Galvanise_ said:
Next year is going to be interesting. This time last year I would have said that Uncharted 2 was going to do it, out of confidence in Naughty Dog and the IP.

For 2010 though. . .I have no idea. If Cage pulls off his aims, Heavy Rain will probably be my personal GOTY, but as for the media. . .no idea. None at all.

So many good games next year and loads more to be revealed.

All the old standbys are locks for noms. I doubt Bayonetta will get recognition, but God of War, Mario, and Halo probably will.

Well, probably not Mario. Last Guardian should, though. I think the real wildcards are what's in store for the new peripherals and whether or not Zelda XV makes it out.

Updated the OP. Uncharted 2 leads with 9 nods. All others have yet to receive a 2nd.

Question for you guys: would it be interesting to see a media point tally for the top 10 (where applicable) and genre breakdown like the GAF GOTYs?

grandjedi6 said:
2v9sqaw.png

I just can't believe it took this long :lol :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Speevy said:
I hate most shooters and if Uncharted 2 weren't such a spectacular production with great gameplay variety, I'd hate it too.

Me too.

I really don't like console shooters in particular. I didn't finish the first Uncharted even (though I may go back to it now..). Haven't picked up KZ2.

But UC2 is magical.

I've seen some folks who I think have a similar aversion of shooters express doubt on whether they'll pick up UC2 across various threads, but I'd heavily encourage those people to make an exception for this game.

AniHawk

gofreak said:
I've seen some folks who I think have a similar aversion of shooters express doubt on whether they'll pick up UC2 across various threads, but I'd heavily encourage those people to make an exception for this game.

I wanted to make it my first PS3 game, just to get it out of the way. I'm not giving ND my money though. Well, I would have, but Blockbuster won't let me rent the game without setting up an account that I already have. Fuck Blockbuster.

Narcosis

I know Tim Schafer has alot of fans, but on that list in the OP Brutal Legend is out of place. I had enough fun to finish it once and never finish all the sidequests. It's very, very average. I could see how one could make an argument for any other game on the list, but just not Brutal Legend.

Pretty amazing to see how far DS has come since it was shown last year at TGS. People were laughing at how bad it looked and that got even worse when Famitsu gave it a 29. It's went from that to winning a bunch of awards.

SolidSnakex said:
Pretty amazing to see how far DS has come since it was shown last year at TGS. People were laughing at how bad it looked and that got even worse when Famitsu gave it a 29. It's went from that to winning a bunch of awards.
I admit I passed it off as another generic JRPG when it was first announced. I'm eating crows now, tons of them.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, even though it looks like U2 will run away with this one, I'm glad that Demon's Souls got a mention. It deserved it.

Who gave Brutal Legend that spot? Kinda absurd against the pedigree of everything else on that list :lol

Edit: Its Tom Chick? He counts as a "media outlet" now does he? Fucking hell.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Pretty high. Nobody really cares that NSMBW is a better game than Galaxy. And Galaxy "lost" the overall count to Bioshock in 2007. Not that either one deserved to do better than The Orange Box, but Bioshock was the more generic and forgettable one of the two.

And then last year, GTA IV got the most, which is similarly laughable. One thing's for sure: the more your game resembles a movie, the higher the possibility it will rank highly among critics at the end of the year. Kinda like how Oscar-nominated films are stuff like The Reader and not stuff like Back to the Future.

Didn't Super Mario Galaxy win GAF's very own GOTY award? I believe it did.

New Super Mario Bros. is not going to win GOTY, even GAF's, because I don't think most people do feel it was better than Galaxy, so you couple that with the fact that you've got a game that absolutely blew people away because of what it pulled off (Uncharted 2), and it's gonna be hard to get that recognition. NSMB Wii didn't pull off anything surprising, except to be have the typically well designed levels of a Nintendo 2D Mario platformer in the same remarkably lazy art design as years past efforts.

I liked it, but again, I thought Galaxy was better. I wouldn't vote for Uncharted 2 to be my GOTY, though.

Demon's Souls is infinitely better than both Uncharted 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. They're not even in the same universe.

JWong

Banned
So when does the media finish picking? Seems like less and less each year.

2007: 63
2008: 35
2009: 23 currently

JWong said:

In 2007 people were probably grabbing a bunch of results from small sites.

JWong said:

It really depends on what people here find. I do look for such lists, but I can't find them all myself.

Top Bottom