• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official PC vs Consoles Thread.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Artstyle is subjective and not objective. You are trying to appeal to consensus for proving something true. Suggest you read this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_by_consensus

It would be valid to state that in your opinion you think that PS games artstyle look better than anything else you've seen. But, objectively, the same game on high end PC would look/perform better because it could implement more graphical techniques to a better degree. And other games on PC are objectively doing more graphically even though you might not like the visual artstyle as much compared to your favorite games on console.

A really dumbed down analogy but, it's like preferring or enjoying comic book artwork more than that of people who paint like the classics. A whole heck of a lot more goes into one over the other so in that way it is superior. Doesn't change your mind though on which you like better because we all have our preferences. But to some people, the "whole heck of a lot more that went into it" is what drives us and makes all the difference.

You hit it right on the head!

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Apple tv only worked on Apple tv boxes and Apple music, only worked on iPhones.. Then eventually, they realized over 80% if the world use Android, and to get more customers, they needed to release it to other potential consumers. Microsoft realize this with Xbox, and made Xbox games pass. Sony seems to be doing the same thing now, as their exclusives can only be played by users with the PlayStation 4. if they sell games outside of their own hardware, it will still be a game sold, regardless of platform or hardware. If they only sell to users that have their hardware, it will be a lot less sales, then if they reached out to other users. People who own a gaming PC, aren't dropping it, to buy a PS5. So a lost sale, is a lost sale. Now if they reach out to everyone, outside of their hardware, it's a no-brainer that they will reach out to other platforms, in order to get more sales.
Link to non rumored PlayStation 5 exclusives besides Godfall coming?

S0ULZB0URNE

Anyone that has an AMD 3000 series CPU and X570 motherboard will have next gen PCIE and AMD systems have been the top selling on Amazon and Newegg for quite a while now. Also, you seem confused about how SSDs work. Programmers don't program for an SSD. All games, apps, and windows 10 loads much faster on a SSD automatically. It's the SSD interface, flash chips, chipset and DDR onboard cache that makes programs load faster on an SSD. There is no code specific for the device to make it run faster and the vast majority of PC gamers use SSD. It's like you are saying that code has to be written for the RAM on the computer to take full advantage of it, when there is no code you write for RAM. It's just getting ridiculous how you console fanboys have such a severe lack of understanding of how PC hardware works and try to push your opinions as facts. LOL, so now you guys think everything on a PC needs a program written for it each time a program is made from a compiler, to take full advantage of the hardware.🤣🤣😂

This is why PC gamers and console gamers can never get along. People like you keep spreading false information because you allow your fanboyism to overtake your mind. You keep believing that everything needs to be programmed for on a PC. Have you ever wrote a computer program before?? You don't target a specific CPU or part like a hard drive or SSD. Like if you need SSE3 instructions, you just tell compiler to use that code path. You do not tell it to use an Intel 9900k or AMD 3800X. The hardware on the Intel or AMD cpu will run its' SSE3 instructions at its maximum performance based on how the architecture is designed on the CPU and the clock frequency. Maybe Intel could be faster or maybe AMD will be faster, it depends on how the engineers designed the CPU. Also, I don't have to tell the compiler that "Hey!!! If there is this SSD, then do this!!!" Instead if the software I made is loaded up from an SSD then it just loads up faster compared to a hard drive. All this happens without me needing to know if it's on a SSD or hard drive.
That's not many customers!LOL
You think 3rd parties want to alienate most people(that don't own the above) and make ports for such a small market?
PC versions of 3rd party games sales are bad now but can you imagine how bad things would be if they did this HAHA

Gimped ports?
Alienate consumers?
Or not release?

Choose

Last edited:
You think 3rd parties want to alienate most people(that don't own the above) and make ports for such a small market?
PC versions of 3rd party games sales are bad now but can you imagine how bad things would be if they did this HAHA

Gimped ports?
Alienate consumers?
Or not release?

Choose
Why would pc receive a worse port than consoles, if the games could only be MADE and CREATED on a pc platform? They are going off from minimum requirements of hardware, aka the low end hardware, aka consoles.

No offense but I'm just guessing you don't run a business man because if you can break into a new market easily then you do it. In fact, sometimes it's even worth it when it's hard. There's lots of money to me made in the PC market. And don't forget, games scale for PC. Meaning it's not just going to be next gen equivalent hardware that will run those games. People will be able to run them on lower settings on weaker PC hardware.

Also, if it's true that most games are now made on PC first and then optimized for console it wouldn't cost much at all to optimize it for PC relative to how much you would make in return in software sales on that platform.

S0ULZB0URNE

Why would pc receive a worse port than consoles, if the games could only be MADE and CREATED on a pc platform? They are going off from minimum requirements of hardware, aka the low end hardware, aka consoles.
PC games GAMEPLAY isn't programed to take advantage of SSD or faster speeds.

Ports are in trouble IF devs utilize the faster speeds for GAMEPLAY.

Why would someone program a ssd? Is that even possible? You can have a controller work to it's software, but you can't program a ssd. Once you understand that concept, things will make sense to you. Pc's utilize faster ssd's right now, than the next few will release with. Marketing AND PR go a long way for unaware customers.

S0ULZB0URNE

Why would someone program a ssd? Is that even possible? You can have a controller work to it's software, but you can't program a ssd. Once you understand that concept, things will make sense to you. Pc's utilize faster ssd's right now, than the next few will release with. Marketing AND PR go a long way for unaware customers.
PC games don't utilize ssd's for gameplay.

VFXVeteran

Banned

Dude, one fact you should know. Games are developed on PCs. If they developed the game on console that would make your point valid, but it's not the case.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Dude, one fact you should know. Games are developed on PCs. They don't develop the game on console. That would make your point valid, but it's not the case.
Gameplay is not made with faster hard drives in mind.
PC ports are made with a wide variety of configurations in mind.
These new consoles are a set environment with SSD's as the minimum and they could use this to enhance gameplay unlike the PC.

Did you read what I linked or does it sting 2 much?
Ok let's use a tad of logic here, keep with me now, ok? Let's use a current game like star citizen for instance. The game highly recommends an ssd to play. This is because most of the textures and assets are loaded in between the gpu's vram, and the system memory (ram). In a world running in 64bit, rather than literally every game on the planet running in 32bit accuracy for placement of characters in a huge ass Galaxy, more or less a world. While maintaining high refresh rate. Detail and effects that current consoles can't even fathom. While consoles can't even maintaining an embarrassing 30fps, with lower resolution, lower details, minimum effects, shadow LoD, etc. There won't be many of these games this generation (and this goes for pc as well), more or less even coming to console for that matter. Star citizen is a one of a kind game, and petty much no other games require a ssd. Although just about all pc gamers have an ssd. (Even though most assets are loaded into the system ram anyways, which debunks the whole need for an SSD in the first place.)

S0ULZB0URNE

Star Citizen 1080p non down-sampled trickery
hub_large.jpg

GOW 1080p
GOW_Screen_Troll_PS4_003_1465877091.jpg

Senua

Ok let's use a tad of logic here, keep with me now, ok? Let's use a current game like star citizen for instance. The game highly recommends an ssd to play. This is because most of the textures and assets are loaded in between the gpu's vram, and the system memory (ram). In a world running in 64bit, rather than literally every game on the planet running in 32bit accuracy for placement of characters in a huge ass Galaxy, more or less a world. While maintaining high refresh rate. Detail and effects that current consoles can't even fathom. While consoles can't even maintaining an embarrassing 30fps, with lower resolution, lower details, minimum effects, shadow LoD, etc. There won't be many of these games this generation (and this goes for pc as well), more or less even coming to console for that matter. Star citizen is a one of a kind game, and petty much no other games require a ssd. Although just about all pc gamers have an ssd. (Even though most assets are loaded into the system ram anyways, which debunks the whole need for an SSD in the first place.)
He won't read this lol.

sunnysideup

Banned
star citizen is an indi game spread thin. It cannot be compared to the massive budget of gow, spiderman, uncharted etc.

You can only come so far with tech. Budgets, talents is equivalently important these days.

And since no game is made from the ground up for high end, pc tech matters even less. I dont care if you games runs 6000fps, 8k. At its core its still a console multiplatform game.

Last edited:
Its hobbyist mod. It does not fit the art direction. It looks off.
The game has no mods though. Completely stock, never modded the game. Lighting is amazing. Soft shadows are the same. Please explain further?

Or were you talking about gtav? Cause it looks much better than the stock game, even on pc

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

how?!?! lol i'm trying to serious here, but lol :messenger_beaming::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_squinting:
You cherry picked a picture that didn't have much going on in the background.
GOW looks significantly better than it does on the consoles and better than any PC action adventure game comparing same resolution to same resolution and no down sampling tricks.
If we up the resolution to 4K.... Witcher 3 PC looks better but not with the same res.

sunnysideup

Banned
You just have to face it. No one is making high end pc games any more, high end like crysis1. There is not going to be any major graphics quality jump on pc.

Everything is made with the current gen consoles in mind.

And sony has the best talent, budgets everything. thus their games look better.

You just have to face it. No one is making high end pc games any more, high end like crysis1. There is not going to be any major graphics quality jump on pc.

Everything is made with the current gen consoles in mind.

And sony has the best talent, budgets everything. thus their games look better.
Enjoy your artistic style. Hopefully the next gen will have a few of the effects we've had for a while. The better the next gen, the less pc is held back this gen.

GreatnessRD

I'm glad I own both a console and a gaming PC. It's funny to watch each exclusive group go back and forth like children. PLEASE CONTINUE! PUHLEASE!

FIGHTZ DAMMITZ FIGHTZ!

Arun1910

Idk what I expected from the replies in this thread but here are my 2 Cents.

Consoles graphically (X and Pro) hold up well to PC. They don't look terrible. Framerate however is dire. 30fps to sub 30fps kills those games for me.

Hold up well does not been better though, obviously a PC can be kitted out better.

PS4 exclusives however are some of the nicest looking games I have the pleasure to play. That's why I have a PS4 and a PC, so I don't miss out on those Sony exclusives.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Idk what I expected from the replies in this thread but here are my 2 Cents.

Consoles graphically (X and Pro) hold up well to PC. They don't look terrible. Framerate however is dire. 30fps to sub 30fps kills those games for me.

Hold up well does not been better though, obviously a PC can be kitted out better.

PS4 exclusives however are some of the nicest looking games I have the pleasure to play. That's why I have a PS4 and a PC, so I don't miss out on those Sony exclusives.

That's why console games have gotten "performance modes" on that hardware, but you're usually limited to 1080p, and some lower settings. Whereas a decent PC can push that framerate at higher settings and resolution. Also as someone with both PC and consoles, it's weird for me to see people clamor for these modes when they could just run every game in performance mode on PC. Then they spin some convoluted comfy couch or driver argument to justify why they're not using the platform that would give them the experience they want.

thelastword

Banned
"BFV.. looks the same, plays the same"...

Ok... lol.
It does, are you saying that if someone goes to a console gamer's house and they see BFV being played and then they go to a PC gamer's house and they see BFV being played...….They won't say, hey my console buddy was just playing this game...….Instead they'd say my buddy was just playing PONG, what game is this, it looks incredible...….Rinse and repeat for every multiplat…...A few sharper shadows and slightly better AF does nothing to alter the visual makeup and feedback of these games, if they did offer such a visual uptick, it would, it would be hard for people to distinguish from the games, but that is certainly not the case......So if I play Farcry 5 on consoles and then on PC, I wouldn't think they were from the same devs right? I mean, come on......Do any side by side, console vs PC and tell me the consoles are left behind, I gave many videos, show me where Horizon looks different or Farcry or COD.....

I'm quite sure there is nothing that will change your mind. Sony has you by the balls, and your enjoying it. Let's just say this, you are quite delusional to believe that ps4 has anything that can remotely hold a candle to even the multiplatform games on pc. I can use old games like Crysis 1 or even GTA5 + mods, that absolutely defecate on consoles. Metro Exodus, Control, Forza, and several other games put: low-medium settings, less than 30fps, missing raytracing, low quality assets and textures, abysmal load times that occur only on console, to shame.

I'm also guessing that you are so stuck in your fanboy ways, that you refuse to even watch pc gameplay. Cause there can't be someone, so blind or delusional, that they can think a week ass console can touch even a medium spec'd pc.

My 16TF GPU says hiiii. See, consoles are outdated with old tech before they even release, and you still gotta wait almost a year! Pc's have much faster CPU, GPU, Ram, SSD, bandwidth, cache, etc. Both of you should do basic research before y'all spew b.s. out of the mouth. Also the claimed 12TF is on Xbox, not your beloved Sony box (supposedly 9TF). So it'll be PC > Xbox S-X > > > Ps5 in performance. Big Navi hasn't released yet, nor did RTX 3000 series, which will only push the performance gap even higher above consoles.
So you have the specs, PC >XSEX>PS5.....Sounds more like dreams to me, and I'm not talking about the great looking exclusive by Media Molecule...….So many of you guys already have the specs. I'll tell you this and mark it.....This console gen is where we will see the most impressive games on consoles since the PS1 (3D era) and the introduction to HD era. PC guys. all they do is boast about hardware they have, when no developer is using that hardware....Getting 1000 frames on a 60hz monitor is all the rage on games built for consoles, games which would not even have been built without consoles.....I have good PC kit too, but I don't boast, because there's no reason....This 13TF plus custom engineering + Ryzen CPU will create the best looking games this gen by a country mile.....Tell devs to continue rendering hairworks in the entire openworld and keep it resident with no culling, tell them to go berserk on tessellation even places you don't see. So when PC heads cant run these un-optimized atrocities, they run to buy more expensive cards.....because my hairworks in FF dawg, my Smokeworks/Paperworks in Arkham dawg, my 3000 fps in Doom PC Dawg, all on a 60Hz monitor……...

At what point does this not ring a bell that a game is the experience. I enjoyed a classic years ago and now you guys on PC have so little exclusive content that measures to console games, you then start some campaign that all console games will come to PC. so you can boast in the future on some extra frames and higher rez…….You think playing Quake 3 at 4k 60fps makes you enjoy Quake now more than we did back in the day or Unreal? Come on guys

Best visual awards, hosted by who again? Just a simple Google/YouTube search seems to go against your claims. As the majority of the games are from pc's. Even searching for "best graphics of 2019" will leave you disappointed.

Almost everyone in here is telling you that PC > ps4/5. You can keep believing what YOU want to, but the facts are there. Take it or leave it.
Console has been winning best looking games from millenia…...PS3 alone dominated visuals all of last gen.....1886, GOW, UC4 won tonnes of best visual awards. It may not be facts you like though, because if a multiplat wins best visuals, it's certainly in some year, it's not because PC won, they are most probably talking about the console version and highly probably played the console version...…...COD, RDR2, none of these are PC games to claim PC won anything.....I'll tell you something now.....LOU 2, Tshushima and Dreams will dominate visuals this year....

BFV is virtually identical on XBO X vs PC
I mean these guys are pretending this is Shadow of Mordor on PS3 compared to the PS4 version......It's like if you saw the PC version of BFV and you saw the console version, it would be so visually advanced over console that no one would recognize it.....Yet, I posted 3 videos trying to point about these obvious differences and crickets.....I wish to see this obvious difference in these multiplats these PC guys like to talk about, show me how advanced BFV or Farcry is on Ultra PC vs console, show me the visual divide that's needs me to rush to get a 2080ti to play BFV at 4k 60fps after I have played it on console...…..Show me in a video....

Also can you give best visuals to a game that's not out yet? I'm talking Star Citizen, probably one of the most desperate visual pieces I've seen PC guys hold unto......There's not much in visual engineering in this game, there's really not much game in there also....I'm sure some guy is busy out there building a ship with every rut, nut and screw rendered at a good price for we unworthy lot.....Should be an easy 1 mil....going once, going twice......Sold to this 8080Ti owner in the back, who is now playing Horizon Zero Dawn 2 at a glorious 32k 1000fps.....The 60fps PS5 owners played it was "too damn low"......My 1000fps dawg.....

Whelp, I see where this is headed. Might as well not even talk about the 1st party exclusives done on PS4 that will come to PC. It's "supposed" to look better right? The bottomline is that PC will finally get that good art direction game that so many people judge to be better than all multiplatform games. I'll take it!
Hey, If you want to compare Predator PS4 to your 2080ti, I have no problems, whatever makes you happy.....Seems that your focus is only to show PC is greater than console, yeah a 2080ti runs rings around the PS4.....I'm sure you will run Predator at 4k 250fps no problem....

You will find out soon. And it will make you think twice about pursuing the console space this new generation.
Again, all these rumors that you and your followers are clamoring for is not reality, they are in the rumormill.....I expected an announcement ages ago........Also, why would Sony prioritize PC over PS5.......Let's take you up on these rumors....If Horizon does come out on PC, you think PS5 wont have a version too? So a 13TF console would be able to play Horizon at 4K 60fps with many more bells and whistles, the same with DeathStranding........You think Horizon and Death Stranding on PS5 will look a world away from your 3080ti version?

.The Horizon you heard was being developed for the PC in my estimation was being developed on; (PlayStation Console, Premier Console) = PS5...….. Yes PS5 is PC and it's going to set the trend for gaming visuals, gaming Ai, gaming physics and gaming sound...….Yes that PC...The new generation of visuals does not start until the Consoles say so.....

It does, are you saying that if someone goes to a console gamer's house and they see BFV being played and then they go to a PC gamer's house and they see BFV being played...….They won't say, hey my console buddy was just playing this game...….Instead they'd say my buddy was just playing PONG, what game is this, it looks incredible...….Rinse and repeat for every multiplat…...A few sharper shadows and slightly better AF does nothing to alter the visual makeup and feedback of these games, if they did offer such a visual uptick, it would, it would be hard for people to distinguish from the games, but that is certainly not the case......So if I play Farcry 5 on consoles and then on PC, I wouldn't think they were from the same devs right? I mean, come on......Do any side by side, console vs PC and tell me the consoles are left behind, I gave many videos, show me where Horizon looks different or Farcry or COD.....

So you have the specs, PC >XSEX>PS5.....Sounds more like dreams to me, and I'm not talking about the great looking exclusive by Media Molecule...….So many of you guys already have the specs. I'll tell you this and mark it.....This console gen is where we will see the most impressive games on consoles since the PS1 (3D era) and the introduction to HD era. PC guys. all they do is boast about hardware they have, when no developer is using that hardware....Getting 1000 frames on a 60hz monitor is all the rage on games built for consoles, games which would not even have been built without consoles.....I have good PC kit too, but I don't boast, because there's no reason....This 13TF plus custom engineering + Ryzen CPU will create the best looking games this gen by a country mile.....Tell devs to continue rendering hairworks in the entire openworld and keep it resident with no culling, tell them to go berserk on tessellation even places you don't see. So when PC heads cant run these un-optimized atrocities, they run to buy more expensive cards.....because my hairworks in FF dawg, my Smokeworks/Paperworks in Arkham dawg, my 3000 fps in Doom PC Dawg, all on a 60Hz monitor……...

At what point does this not ring a bell that a game is the experience. I enjoyed a classic years ago and now you guys on PC have so little exclusive content that measures to console games, you then start some campaign that all console games will come to PC. so you can boast in the future on some extra frames and higher rez…….You think playing Quake 3 at 4k 60fps makes you enjoy Quake now more than we did back in the day or Unreal? Come on guys

Console has been winning best looking games from millenia…...PS3 alone dominated visuals all of last gen.....1886, GOW, UC4 won tonnes of best visual awards. It may not be facts you like though, because if a multiplat wins best visuals, it's certainly in some year, it's not because PC won, they are most probably talking about the console version and highly probably played the console version...…...COD, RDR2, none of these are PC games to claim PC won anything.....I'll tell you something now.....LOU 2, Tshushima and Dreams will dominate visuals this year....

I mean these guys are pretending this is Shadow of Mordor on PS3 compared to the PS4 version......It's like if you saw the PC version of BFV and you saw the console version, it would be so visually advanced over console that no one would recognize it.....Yet, I posted 3 videos trying to point about these obvious differences and crickets.....I wish to see this obvious difference in these multiplats these PC guys like to talk about, show me how advanced BFV or Farcry is on Ultra PC vs console, show me the visual divide that's needs me to rush to get a 2080ti to play BFV at 4k 60fps after I have played it on console...…..Show me in a video....

Also can you give best visuals to a game that's not out yet? I'm talking Star Citizen, probably one of the most desperate visual pieces I've seen PC guys hold unto......There's not much in visual engineering in this game, there's really not much game in there also....I'm sure some guy is busy out there building a ship with every rut, nut and screw rendered at a good price for we unworthy lot.....Should be an easy 1 mil....going once, going twice......Sold to this 8080Ti owner in the back, who is now playing Horizon Zero Dawn 2 at a glorious 32k 1000fps.....The 60fps PS5 owners played it was "too damn low"......My 1000fps dawg.....

Hey, If you want to compare Predator PS4 to your 2080ti, I have no problems, whatever makes you happy.....Seems that your focus is only to show PC is greater than console, yeah a 2080ti runs rings around the PS4.....I'm sure you will run Predator at 4k 250fps no problem....

Again, all these rumors that you and your followers are clamoring for is not reality, they are in the rumormill.....I expected an announcement ages ago........Also, why would Sony prioritize PC over PS5.......Let's take you up on these rumors....If Horizon does come out on PC, you think PS5 wont have a version too? So a 13TF console would be able to play Horizon at 4K 60fps with many more bells and whistles, the same with DeathStranding........You think Horizon and Death Stranding on PS5 will look a world away from your 3080ti version?

.The Horizon you heard was being developed for the PC in my estimation was being developed on; (PlayStation Console, Premier Console) = PS5...….. Yes PS5 is PC and it's going to set the trend for gaming visuals, gaming Ai, gaming physics and gaming sound...….Yes that PC...The new generation of visuals does not start until the Consoles say so.....
There is so much cringe behind this post.... I don't even know how to respond... You are beyond misinformed, or just straight up ignorant. I thought that ds_juiced girl was weird, but you might top em...

Last edited:
Top Bottom