• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official "The Snitch (@insider_wtf)" Leaker Thread

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
80m is really impressive for a non Nintendo portable.

Sony could do really well on the portable space if they set realistic expectations and made something that didn't require dedicated support. A portable capable of running PS4 games would be perfect to let people play their PlayStation library on the go and wouldn't need to sell nearly 80m to make sense. It's a shame they gave up.
yeah maybe but it's not great. Nintendo portables are 154, 118, 107, 81m. and then there is the BEST sony portable of ALL TIME at 80-82 which puts it on par with the GBA. if Sony wanted to "obliterate" the portable market they would need to do much much better.

no chance PS owners are going to accept realistic expectations or dedicated support and Sony isn't willing to provide it either.

PSP2 isn't happening. Just buy a SteamDeck and play Sony's PC ports. That's as close as you'll ever get.
Then you buy everything twice, at that point it makes sense to just abandon the PlayStation ecosystem for good (not a bad idea honestly now that titles like The Last Us Part I gets announced along with the PC port).

yeah maybe but it's not great. Nintendo portables are 154, 118, 107, 81m. and then there is the BEST sony portable of ALL TIME at 80-82 which puts it on par with the GBA. if Sony wanted to "obliterate" the portable market they would need to do much much better.

no chance PS owners are going to accept realistic expectations or dedicated support and Sony isn't willing to provide it either.
Obviously Sony ain't going to obliterates anything but giving up is one of the biggest mistakes they ever done, they are pretty much irrelevant in Japan and now their entire library will become available on something like the Steam Deck to play on the go.

Ultimately if you are someone that likes PlayStation games, PlayStation platforms offers the worst access to them.

Sony is still pretty good at making games and they nailed the PS5 hardware but they are a terrible platform holder. They really can't do anything else properly.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
i doubt they're working on a PSP2... Except if it's like the Switch
Times have changed so much since Switch's release, it's super easy to put a port into a portable machine that can also connect to a tv, so many knock offs do it with more power at a smaller price.

A PSP2 would need good developers though that won't just make F2P games, and for mobile developers now that's almost impossible, even if they're charging for the game, they'd still have to be slapped when they start pushing the F2P buttons developing the games.

madam secretary hit GIF by CBS

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Apparently that Overdose thing was played on a phone earlier this year, I thought it was just the footage but it was the game, according to that other guy.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 Mhz DDR4 RAM (thinking of doubling it) and... A Radeon HD 687
Yeah, I don't think he understands the appeal of a switch or the steamdeck. I do want more competition in the handheld space. I would take a thin client in handheld form for ps now/gamepass but might be better to just get the new kishi and another cheap android phone.

Got steamdeck, switch and kishi v1 currently.
They need to make something that can run ps5 games to be successful in my opinion. Not sure if that is possible. I guess you could make one for PS4 games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Then you buy everything twice, at that point it makes sense to just abandon the PlayStation ecosystem for good (not a bad idea honestly now that titles like The Last Us Part I gets announced along with the PC port).

Obviously Sony ain't going to obliterates anything but giving up is one of the biggest mistakes they ever done, they are pretty much irrelevant in Japan and now their entire library will become available on something like the Steam Deck to play on the go.

Ultimately if you are someone that likes PlayStation games, PlayStation platforms offers the worst access to them.

Sony is still pretty good at making games and they nailed the PS5 hardware but they are a terrible platform holder. They really can't do anything else properly.
Sony is good at making games and makes great hardware. What else do they need to be great at? Coffee makers?

Sony is good at making games and makes great hardware. What else do they need to be great at? Coffee makers?
Let see: implementing proper refund policy, better options for emulating legacy platforms (what we have now is a joke), figuring out a way for people to play PlayStation games on the go, better communication (including stop purposefully lying about things), being upfront about release window of games on PC, figuring out crossbuy with PC.

As I've said, they are good at what matter most but leave a lot to be desired everywhere else.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Let see: implementing proper refund policy, better options for emulating legacy platforms (what we have now is a joke), figuring out a way for people to play PlayStation games on the go, better communication (including stop purposefully lying about things), being upfront about release window of games on PC, figuring out crossbuy with PC.

As I've said, they are good at what matter most but leave a lot to be desired everywhere else.
It's weird how MS and Sony have opposite problems. MS talks too damn much, while Sony barely speaks. Underwhelms with 1st party games, while Sony's are mostly stable when they come out. Non-stop delays, while Sony has a major first party release multiple times of the year. MS has Gamepass, which is great if you do the $1 conversions, but considerably less good at $14.99 a month.

saintjules

MS has Gamepass, which is great if you do the $1 conversions, but considerably less good at $14.99 a month.

I'm about to do this $1 conversion. Just the $180 maximum for 3 years of gold to convert I'm still thinking about. At the same time I don't want to do just 1 year.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I was just thinking that too. In the long term they'd obviously be making more with monthly payments of that price point.
At that point Gamepass drastically loses value.

$180 for a year is basically 3 AAA games at $60 a piece. I can't remember a year that MS had that many major exclusives. It would be far more cost effective to buy that big exclusive standalone. Where Gamepass would still have killer value is if you subscribed for a month when Starfield came out, played it and when cancelled once that month ended.

Basically, I am paying for indies that I never play and have no interest in playing.

Unless, MS can get their shit together on the AAA front with 2-3 big releases a year, I suspect many will unsubscribe. Which is why they need someone who can manage these studios so that there games can have realistic release dates. Getting Day 1 deals on Ninja Turtles is great and all, but if MS can't get their shit together as far the big guns then Gamepass is far less attractive.

MS was betting on people getting hooked and then falling in the "pay and forget it mold per month." Unfortunately that is no longer as lucrative as it once was where we are now saturated with subscription services. The big guns like Netflix are now LOSING subscribers. Can MS avoid that? Time will tell.

Last edited:
It's weird how MS and Sony have opposite problems. MS talks too damn much, while Sony barely speaks. Underwhelms with 1st party games, while Sony's are mostly stable when they come out. Non-stop delays, while Sony has a major first party release multiple times of the year. MS has Gamepass, which is great if you do the $1 conversions, but considerably less good at $14.99 a month.
I see it the same way, Sony gets right what matter most to be, as a publisher they have been delivering top tier games for over a decade now, non stop. They have some of the most talented studios in the world and are not afraid to invest in their games. But I also don't see it as an excuse to not hold them accountable for all the way they come up short.

As for MS, to me they just never delivered on anything. Even with Gamepass, if I had to pay full price I would've never used it. But MS got somethings right like the 360 retro, crossbuy with PC (despite their horrible PC store) and their more PC oriented games like Flight Simulator are actually interesting.

$180 for a year is basically 3 AAA games at $60 a piece. I can't remember a year that MS had that many major exclusives. It would be far more cost effective to buy that big exclusive standalone. Where Gamepass would still have killer value is if you subscribed for a month when Starfield came out, played it and when cancelled once that month ended.

Basically, I am paying for indies that I never play and have no interest in playing.

Unless, MS can get their shit together on the AAA front with 2-3 big releases a year, I suspect many will unsubscribe. Which is why they need someone who can manage these studios so that there games can have realistic release dates. Getting Day 1 deals on Ninja Turtles is great and all, but if MS can't get their shit together as far the big guns then Gamepass is far less attractive.

MS was betting on people getting hooked and then falling in the "pay and forget it mold per month." Unfortunately that is no longer as lucrative as it once was where we are now saturated with subscription services. The big guns like Netflix are now LOSING subscribers. Can MS avoid that? Time will tell.
Look at how much money they already made of the people that were paying full price for Gamepass waiting for AAA games day one over all these years and they barely delivered on anything.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm about to do this $1 conversion. Just the $180 maximum for 3 years of gold to convert I'm still thinking about. At the same time I don't want to do just 1 year.

Just a little tangent which you find useful, hopefully.

You don't need to pay $180 for 3 years of Gold -> GPU. You can do that in less than $100.

I'm gonna post the steps under the spoiler tags below so as not to clutter the page.

Purchase 3x 12-Month Xbox Live Gold Membership (Turkey - Email Delivery)
Create Free Account on Windscribe VPN and Download App or Chrome Extension.
Connect to Turkey on Windscribe.
Redeem your Xbox Live Gold code(s) without agreeing to recurring billing. You can stack up to three years of Xbox Live Gold.
Disconnect VPN.
Join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate by purchasing your first month for $1 ($14.99 if you joined Game Pass before for $1). Don't enable auto renewal when asked.
You will be prompted to upgrade your Xbox Live Gold to Game Pass Ultimate with a 1:1 conversion. The renewal date should be the same as your Xbox live gold, plus 1 month (Maximum 36 months).

Last edited:

saintjules

I guess what I am trying to understand is; what is benefit of being subbed to it now when the 2-3 big releases are currently not even there? Surely there's value for many without the AAA games. Will 2-3 big AAA games annually even be enough to keep subscribers all year round is what I wonder.

Funny enough I almost subbed last night because of TMNT. I looked at the library and I wasn't intrigued enough. Saying this in my head I don't think paying 3 years of gold to convert to GP makes sense for me at the moment. But like you said before, the conversion could disappear at any point in the future.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

You don't need to pay $180 for 3 years of Gold -> GPU. You can do that in less than $100.

I'm gonna post the steps under the spoiler tags below so as not to clutter the page.

Redeem your Xbox Live Gold code(s) without agreeing to recurring billing. You can stack up to three years of Xbox Live Gold.
Disconnect VPN.
Join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate by purchasing your first month for $1 ($14.99 if you joined Game Pass before for $1). Don't enable auto renewal when asked.
You will be prompted to upgrade your Xbox Live Gold to Game Pass Ultimate with a 1:1 conversion. The renewal date should be the same as your Xbox live gold, plus 1 month (Maximum 36 months).
There are even easier ways than this. CD keys and Eneba often sell 3 month Live cards for under $10 buy 12 of those for at most $120 and do the conversion. I’ve seen them as low as $7

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There are even easier ways than this. CD keys and Eneba often sell 3 month Live cards for under $10 buy 12 of those for at most $120 and do the conversion. I’ve seen them as low as $7

I'm using CDKeys's 12 month codes from the turkey region in the steps, they're $30 right now and the total spending after all said and done comes to $91~ or so.

The prices fluctuate but $30 is the lowest i've seen CDKeys reduce the prices, normally the turkey codes are $35 or thereabout.

Last edited:

saintjules

Disconnect VPN.

Thank you! Will give it a shot.

Disconnect VPN.
Does this work if I already have GPU? My sub ends in Sept.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I guess what I am trying to understand is; what is benefit of being subbed to it now when the 2-3 big releases are currently not even there? Surely there's value for many without the AAA games. Will 2-3 big AAA games annually even be enough to keep subscribers all year round is what I wonder.

Funny enough I almost subbed last night because of TMNT. I looked at the library and I wasn't intrigued enough. Saying this in my head I don't think paying 3 years of gold to convert to GP makes sense for me at the moment. But like you said before, the conversion could disappear at any point in the future.
MS needs more Rodd Ferguson's and less Ken Levine's managing their studios. You need those people who aren't perfectionists who understand that you have to deliver a product.
Its nice to give studios the latitude to make games right, but when you're constantly in a state of multiple years with 1 major release (sometimes less), while Sony can put out 2-3 per year, it's not a good look and suggests bad management. At some point can all these studio acquisitions pay off? Sure, absolutely. But when?

Back to Gamepass, at some point shareholders are going to come and ask if MS investment into Gamepass is paying off.

Lognor

Banned
Sony got killed with the ps vita. I don't think they're coming back to that market. They struggled to get compelling projects on the vita. It was even difficult for Nintendo to keep a strong pipeline for the handheld and home markets. Sony would struggle even more with that, especially now that games take longer than ever to develop.

"Strongly hinted" yeah so if they're wrong they can backtrack. Just admit it, there's been no actual indication whatsoever about what's going on with Ragnarok

Well if the employees are to be believed it’s in the final stages of development. So we should be getting it soon regardless.

Sony got killed with the ps vita. I don't think they're coming back to that market. They struggled to get compelling projects on the vita. It was even difficult for Nintendo to keep a strong pipeline for the handheld and home markets. Sony would struggle even more with that, especially now that games take longer than ever to develop.
Sony killed the PS Vita with their lack of vision for the platform, the stupid decisions (like the expensive proprietary memory cards / lack of triggers) and by just giving up way to quickly once it wasn't this huge success they expected.

A portable PlayStation, focused on retro library, indie games and IPs that have proven success on portables (like Monster Hunter) is all that they would need for it to work. It would also have great synergy with PS+ (if they figured out a way to run PS4 games natively it would require very little dedicated development as well).

Sony's plan for the Vita would never have worked, they wanted it to succeed on the back of lesser CoD, Assassins' Creed and Uncharted games.

Last edited:
Sony making another handheld is probably the dumbest idea ever. They have limited resources that will serve to feed both the PS5 and the PS VR2...and people want them to stretch themselves thin by adding yet another device to the mix? A recipe for unmitigated disaster. Their next push from the bribes of information we can glean will be geared towards mobile, where money can be injected smartly for a potentially gigantic ROI. Nintendo have perfected their formula with their hybrid platform; Even they avoided the pitfall of supporting two machines at once.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
MS needs more Rodd Ferguson's and less Ken Levine's managing their studios. You need those people who aren't perfectionists who understand that you have to deliver a product.
Its nice to give studios the latitude to make games right, but when you're constantly in a state of multiple years with 1 major release (sometimes less), while Sony can put out 2-3 per year, it's not a good look and suggests bad management. At some point can all these studio acquisitions pay off? Sure, absolutely. But when?

Back to Gamepass, at some point shareholders are going to come and ask if MS investment into Gamepass is paying off.
Absolutely true facts here, and I would go a step further and say that it's time for Matt Booty to go. All those talented studios and so little to show for it? Its shameful. MS needs to clean house.

Sony making another handheld is probably the dumbest idea ever. They have limited resources that will serve to feed both the PS5 and the PS VR2...and people want them to stretch themselves thing by adding yet another device to the mix? A recipe for unmitigated disaster. Their next push from the bribes of information we can glean will be geared towards mobile, where money can be injected smartly for a potentially gigantic ROI. Nintendo have perfected their formula with their hybrid platform; Even they avoided the pitfall of supporting two machines at once.
Colin said (but is pretty obvious when you think about it). That Sony researches and develops a lot of stuff. Maybe an idea of a vita successor was research and developed at some point.

The only way I can see a new PlayStation handled is basically making a 'switch console'. meaning:

1. Has to run at least PS5-4 games.
Ideally, 3-2-1-PSP-Vita games as well. (Lol no gonna happen)

2. To be affordable.

But I dont think is a good idea at all as you said.

Sony making another handheld is probably the dumbest idea ever. They have limited resources that will serve to feed both the PS5 and the PS VR2...and people want them to stretch themselves thing by adding yet another device to the mix? A recipe for unmitigated disaster. Their next push from the bribes of information we can glean will be geared towards mobile, where money can be injected smartly for a potentially gigantic ROI. Nintendo have perfected their formula with their hybrid platform; Even they avoided the pitfall of supporting two machines at once.
They would only need to do that if they hadn't learned anything from the Vita and the Nintendo Switch, the obvious solution is to make a portable that can run PS4 games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom