• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pepsi Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show was LEGENDARY

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The only one missing is Tupac đź’”

unknown.png

Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige & Kendrick Lamar

With such a cast, the halftime show of the 56th Super Bowl, which opposed the Los Angeles Rams to the Cincinnati Bengals, was eagerly awaited.
Launched by Dr Dre, then accompanied by Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J-Blige and Kendrick Lamar and 50 Cent as guest stars, the show lived up to expectations.

For fourteen minutes, the 6 legends of American hip-hip chained their best titles to the delight of the 70,000 supporters on SoFi Stadium.

Cyberpunkd

For fourteen minutes, the 6 legends of American hip-hip chained their best titles to the delight of the 70,000 supporters on SoFi Stadium.
Ok, so did they sing each other songs or was it just one going after the other 'greatest hits' style? Because if the latter then how is it special?

Pagusas

Elden Member
all I saw was one of the most terribly produced Superbowl shows in modern history, partially thanks to NBC’s incredibly poor handling of it, but also thanks to the insanely lackluster set design and quality of the halftime show. it was bad. why NBC had their b-tier production team on the SUPER BOWl is crazy.

Last edited:

Sybrix

I dont watch NFL at all, i got invited to a match in the UK a few years ago and it was a really great show, even tho i didnt have a clue what the rules were lol

I thought this half time show was great, icons of Hip-Hop, especially Mary J Blige singing No Drama.

The best ever performance of No Drama was on Jools Holland in 2002, for anyone even vaguely interested in Hip-Hop and RnB i urge you to watch this:

It's one of the best live performances ever.

NickFire

50 had zero charisma. He should’ve killed it. Phoned in performance
I think hanging upside down to start his part took the wind out of him. That’s my guess anyway.

overall I thought it was an incredible show. The stage worked well for the amount of performers. Dre and Snoop killed it.

Alebrije

It was boring for me .....maybe because I have seem those singers tons of times. Also looked like a cheap scenario/ stage..maybe the budget was low. A show that wont be remembered on a few years.

Also the game itself was bland...no much energy from the players and a lot of mistakes

Last edited:

MastAndo

I don't know, while I like all those performers and didn't even mind their dated song selection (as they're classics in the genre), there's just something about live rap that I don't like. It's always like the levels are off, or the performer is straining to be heard if they aren't lip-syncing. It just doesn't nothing for me, with few exceptions.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
50 got faaaaaaaaaaaaat

Looks like he got hit by Inflation too.
No half time show until the sun goes supernova will top Prince playing Purple Rain…in the rain.

Prince is still the GOAT. Playing purple rain in the rain wearing high heels and killing it. UNMATCHED!!!

I don't know, while I like all those performers and didn't even mind their dated song selection (as they're classics in the genre), there's just something about live rap that I don't like. It's always like the levels are off, or the performer is straining to be heard if they aren't lip-syncing. It just doesn't nothing for me, with few exceptions.

The Vocal mix was bad but it was still a very good top 3 all time event for Half Time shows. Next year gonna have big shoes to fill. (Calling it BIllie Eilish )

California Love and I ain't mad at ya got me a little bit, ngl. Only thing missing would have been a Pac holograph there to get me smiling from ear to ear.

Eminem kneeling brought the performance down a bit.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'll never understand people who think a bunch of 50 year olds lip syncing with no musicians and hundreds of dancers was "an incredible show". Is The Masked Singer the new benchmark for live music?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Props for all the effort and work that went in, but I wasn't invested.
Also, I get it's a crowd pleaser, but the 8-mile song for Eminem felt so tired.

Not as good as Gwyneth eating her own vagina-scented candle:

Gwyneth Paltrow has been seen chowing down on one of her famous vagina-scented candles in a new Super Bowl advert for Uber Eats.

No half time show until the sun goes supernova will top Prince playing Purple Rain…in the rain.

Prince was a massive diva, but nothing came between him and his music. Dude performed live, in the rain and wind on a slippery stage and still managed to outperform this year's act.

Apeopleman

It’s the fact that rappers have 0 vocal talent. they don’t sing; they talk over beats fast. The beats carry the entire genre

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
It’s the fact that rappers have 0 vocal talent. they don’t single they talk over beats fast. The beats carry the entire genre

This is factually incorrect .

The Hip-Hop equation is as follows:

Flow = Lyrics over beats squared F=L/B2

Beats are the multiplier for the lyrical value based in any song. Meaning that a trash emcee will still be trash over a dope beat but a well versed lyricist will enhance even the basic of beats. Also the value of the sum (FLOW) of each individual part is greater than those parts. The Flow (how the emcees combines the lyrics with the beat ) is the most important thing and is also the reason that most of the greatest lyricist cant pick a beat to save their lives. (easy comparison Jay-Z Versus Eminem )

For Homework: Read Chapters 1-3.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I enjoy a bit of Hip-Hip. With a side of hooray.

Does it compare to Prince and his control of the elements? For spectacle ?

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

They all kinda looked run down and sad. Why is Mary j Blige still wearing that ridiculous outfit in her 50s. Wasn't a fan when Cher or Madonna kept rocking leather in their 70s

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm more partial to the MJ or Prince performances but it's cool to hyperbole the new stuff. It wasn't bad but not as good as has been described.

Too many different acts. No one had time to build on anything. Hanging 50 upside down was a huge mistake. I get the nostalgia of the music video, but that looked like someone’s dad up there. Not great.

Liked the music, but the execution kind of sucked. Kendrick Lamar was really good though. Great energy.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It was alright. Snoop looking like the Aladdin Rug. $1.50 pulling a "meanwhile in Australia" entrance. Dre looks good. Mary J doing that ass move at the beginning was funny; looked like she hurt her back a bit. I've certainly seen worse. If it gets people interested in live music, it's only a good thing.

NahaNago

It was alright. I was expecting a lot more after all the hype. It was just folks standing around singing or rapping while tons of folks danced around them. I think Eminem had the best performance followed by Snoop Dogg. Kendrick had the most interesting performance and Mary J. Blige was good jus wish she had a better outfit. Fifty cent's performance was weak. I guess they tried to do some legendary type show but it failed for me.

I don't really know Kendrick's music though so it did nothing for me.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It was a good show. I would still put Prince and U2 ahead of them though. Those two shows were something else.

zweifuss

Is it just me or was the sound really compressed and low quality? I watched it on YouTube after aber it sounded really bad, not sure if the actual broadcast sounded better. It was enjoyable nonetheless.

Top Bottom