• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Dre to Release New Album as 'Straight Outta Compton' Soundtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.
The album is definitely busy, yeah. And the sketches (radio drama transitions more like it) are fucking with the flow of the album absolutely. But there's way more good here than isn't.

Gave it a couple listens this morning both on my way in and while I'm at work. So far, my impressions are that it's a good album, with some nice verses, some really good beats, but the extra business in the production and the processing/pitch shifting on Dre's voice through the majority of the album just make it weird to me and keeps it from classic status. It's a solid album, and I think if it came from anyone else it'd be great, but Dre is held to a whole other standard that Compton just didn't hit. still an 8/10 album for me, but it's no 2001.

So I have listened to it 3 times and this is not a grower.

Seems very fast paced for Dr. Dre and it's all over the place.

Good kid, maad city is better than this trash and not a single one of these tracks is as memorable as the ones from 2001.

Kendrick did his thing but is that a guitar with dre and snoop track?

Trash album and just opportunism to go with movie

Like i stated Dr.Dre 2/3

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Not exactly a mid or high tier headphone...

If it's good for the Chronic and 2001 but not for this, it's not the headphone.

So I have listened to it 3 times and this is not a grower.

Seems very fast paced for Dr. Dre and it's all over the place.

Good kid, maad city is better than this trash and not a single one of these tracks is as memorable as the ones from 2001.

Kendrick did his thing but is that a guitar with dre and snoop track?

Trash album and just opportunism to go with movie

Like i stated Dr.Dre 2/3

If GKMC is your bar for acceptability, you're going to be disappointed with A LOOOOOOOT of albums

Anth0ny

This album is literally called Compton: A Soundtrack. It's a pop album made to promote the movie. Looking at the credits on Wiki, Dre seemingly produced only four songs out of the 16. There is no way in hell Dre had any real input on producing stuff like the second song (after the intro). The only way you can convince me otherwise is showing me a video of them in the studio/wherever and he's actually co-producing that beat (and the rest of the crappy ones). The amount of hooks on this album is more than enough to tell you what kind of album this is. Yeah, this is his "grand finale"

ehhhh

The 8 Mile soundtrack was made to promote the movie too, and that shit was the GOAT. It would have been nice if Dre tried a little harder with this.

Einhander

If I can't sample it from anywhere that isn't iTunes, I'm not going to care about it. Nice try, Dre/Apple. Don't want to install iTunes.

ehhhh

The 8 Mile soundtrack was made to promote the movie too, and that shit was the GOAT. It would have been nice if Dre tried a little harder with this.

I didn't mean to say that given the soundtrack circumstances it means it going to be utter garbage. But someone like Dre that has been out of the game this long, and given these current circumstances, this album blows

number11

It's a good album, but that's it. I'm probably gonna forget about this album in a few weeks. For something we've been waiting so long for, and with his track record, it should have been so much better.

Cheddahz

Banned
Anyone giving veredicts based on one listen while wearing shitty stock headphones deserves to be slapped. Shut up and listen to it, from beginning to end, two or three more times. If your opinion remains the same, aight, if it doesn't, look back at how foolish you are.

Someone's upset that not every has the same opinion as he does

Yeah this album is pretty poor. A couple of good tracks, but there's a lot of trash thrown in.

For me only Talking To My Diary is the only stand out track and the type of sound I was expecting from Dre.

NYCrooner

It's a good album, but that's it. I'm probably gonna forget about this album in a few weeks. For something we've been waiting so long for, and with his track record, it should have been so much better.

This sums up the majority of reviews so far on this thread, other forums I've visited and my friends.

Good but forgettable album from a fucking legend.

Toparaman

Banned
the processing/pitch shifting on Dre's voice through the majority of the album just make it weird to me and keeps it from classic status

Yeah, I am really not liking the amount of auto-tuned Dre singing that I'm hearing in these iTunes samples. And the beats don't seem to have that "hook" that you'd expect from Dre. But will absolutely give this album a fairer shake at some point. Audio mix is great as you'd expect from a Dre album.

To be fair, I think all of Dre's solo albums are pretty overrated; both Chronic and 2001 have forgettable second halves. And Chronic's most memorable songs use samples that Dre did practically nothing to, so really it's the sampled artists (especially George Clinton) who should get the real credit for those. Dre's best work for me is both NWA albums, D.O.C.'s first solo album, Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle, and Eminem's Relapse. The beat for 3 AM is multi-layered brilliance, and shows Dre still "had it" as recently as 2009. 1988-2009, not a bad run at all.

RP912

Banned
Yeah, I am really not liking the amount of auto-tuned Dre singing that I'm hearing in these iTunes samples. And the beats don't seem to have that "hook" that you'd expect from Dre. But will absolutely give this album a fairer shake at some point. Audio mix is great as you'd expect from a Dre album.

To be fair, I think all of Dre's solo albums are pretty overrated; both Chronic and 2001 have forgettable second halves. And Chronic's most memorable songs use samples that Dre did practically nothing to, so really it's the sampled artists (especially George Clinton) who should get the real credit for those. Dre's best work for me is both NWA albums, D.O.C.'s first solo album, Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle, and Eminem's Relapse. The beat for 3 AM is multi-layered brilliance, and shows Dre still "had it" as recently as 2009. 1988-2009, not a bad run at all.

Eh....all of The Chronic is consistent compared to 2001 imo. The album is timeless, while 2001 feels sort of dated. As far as Dre's voice being altered, I don't really mind it. It sort of blends well with the production, rather than Dre having that same old tired flow and it doesn't go well with the overall tone of the album.

I understand music opinions are subjective, but man good kid mad city isn't even a good album to me, I don't get it.

I need more time with Compton before I pass an opinion.

Toparaman

Banned
Had he come out with 2001 Pt.2, you would now have people calling the record dusty and dated, saying that "the game had passed him by" or that "Dre couldn't adapt to 2015 and is stuck in the past".

Dre pretty much did just that with the production of Relapse, and you're right: most critics said his production sounded dated and cliche. Whereas you look at most professional reviews for Compton, and critics are praising him for not resting on his laurels.

Wiz

First listen and I'm digging it. It's not another Chronic or 2001, but then again, I wasn't going in expecting that. For what Dre gave us, it's a good album.

Expectations were way too high for this album, yet I had a feeling I wouldn't enjoy it and I was right. I'll cosign everyone else saying overproduced. Some songs I'm really just confused by what he was trying to achieve.

The album is alright. It's very over produced, you can tell more cooks are in the kitchen than usual. Sometimes it works, such as the beat switches. Other times it just feels like a mess. Rap wise Dre continues to rap like whoever is writing for him, and sometimes it works and sometimes it's just ugly. He's a lot more up temp and fast throughout the album.

Not a fan of King Mez and Ice Cube's verse was weak. Kendrick does his thing, especially on Deep Water. Jon Conner is amazing, even The Game comes through with a dope performance. Singing wise I fux with Anderson Paak.

This doesn't sound like a "Dre" album. More often than not it doesn't have that typical west coast sound either, so I'd imagine many older fans will be turned off. There's trap shit mixed with all types of stuff. Animals, Talking To My Diary, For The Love Of Money, and Deep Water are standout tracks imo.

btw the skits are really bad. Especially Loose Cannon. Sounds like a some corny Eminem shit.

Majestad

Banned
If Dre released a Chronic 3 album with songs like KUSH (which was dope as fuck), people would complain about Dre not having advanced in 15 years.

This album is definitely different than the previous, but still good on its own.

If Dre released a Chronic 3 album with songs like KUSH (which was dope as fuck), people would complain about Dre not having advanced in 15 years.

This album is definitely different than the previous, but still good on its own.

Kush was damn good, I still hear it getting played

NYCrooner

That's such an off-base comment. Hip-hop fans (especially older heads) are pining for something that is reminiscent of the Chronic sound from Dre. You can create a contemporary sound while still retaining that classic West Coast vibe. He didn't achieve that with Compton. Still a good album but forgettable.

Toparaman

Banned
That's such an off-base comment. Hip-hop fans (especially older heads) are pining for something that is reminiscent of the Chronic sound from Dre. You can create a contemporary sound while still retaining that classic West Coast vibe. He didn't achieve that with Compton. Still a good album but forgettable.

2001 doesn't really achieve it either though. Doesn't sound like G-Funk at all.

How the fuck did people hear the second song (the one after the intro) and go "oh yeah! Dre is back!"

*raises hand*

Been listening to Chronic+2001 annually for fifteen years and I adore this track, great opener. I remember 2001's beats initially sounding weird coming off The Chronic yet it became my most listened-to rap album...we'll see. I will say that the first two had catchier musical hooks though. Each album is a total product of its time and I love it.

The skits are kinda forced but skits always are so w/e, really wish they were separate tracks though. The beats are definitely more layered than the previous two, for better or worse; not as catchy but still great.

3/3 for me, loving it. Going to double dip when the CD drops on the 21st, hopefully with some bonus stuff. Really hope this isn't actually Dre's last.

I was hoping this album would somewhat reflect the sounds of the original but it's nothing like it. The album is just whatevers but maybe it will grow on me.
Go back to the last millenium.
Thank fuck Dre has evolved beyond those simple West Coast beats from 15 years ago

I'm stunned that this is the reaction. With the exception of Satisfiction this is nuts. Surprisingly modern, not necessarily a trailblazer unfortunately but still Dre through and through.

edit: *the reaction on this forum. Not reflective of the majority of opinion I've seen.

Truant

Not at all what I expected, but it's growing on me.

Dre flat out saying he's missing hanging out with Easy and Ren on the last track is giving me feels, even if it comes off as a little forced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom