• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Triz

I went to the Pin-a-Go-Go show in Dixon CA last weekend. Finally got my hands on the Tron table and I loved it. Been hunting that thing down for what seems like 5 years. Also got to try out Hobbit and Wizard of Oz from Jersey Jack Pinball. Looks wise they are leagues above what a Stern table is. Hobbit was a ton of fun to play too, loved the trolls that popped out of the play field.

Also played Game of Thrones, which I didn't really care for. The new Ghostbusters table was a ton of fun though.

Presenting the new and improved Death Coin from http://www.tilt-hammer.com/!

photo%201_zpsxqzpsvo8.jpg

photo%202_zpsvjwq2w8l.jpg

Not sure if it's in the shop yet as he just started selling them yesterday but it's bigger and easier to read than the old one.

I can't tell you how much I love asking people to call 'Thor' or 'odin' for the coin toss.

Next week The Lyons Spring Classic happens, which is the only PAPA circuit event near here. I know Zach Sharpe is coming so we are getting more out of state players this year.
Trent Augustine and Gene Hwang are staying at our house so it should be a big lineup.

Of course that makes it impossible for someone like me to win, but it's just more fun and feel like a bigger event when the big players show up.

Vyse24

Tonight should being us the TX-Sector update, bringing an end to Season 5. I'm gonna go predict right now the first table of Season 6 is that AG Soccer table.

Shaneus

Presenting the new and improved Death Coin from http://www.tilt-hammer.com/!

photo%201_zpsxqzpsvo8.jpg

photo%202_zpsvjwq2w8l.jpg

Not sure if it's in the shop yet as he just started selling them yesterday but it's bigger and easier to read than the old one.

I can't tell you how much I love asking people to call 'Thor' or 'odin' for the coin toss.

Next week The Lyons Spring Classic happens, which is the only PAPA circuit event near here. I know Zach Sharpe is coming so we are getting more out of state players this year.
Trent Augustine and Gene Hwang are staying at our house so it should be a big lineup.

Of course that makes it impossible for someone like me to win, but it's just more fun and feel like a bigger event when the big players show up.
Oh, you name-dropper you!

Tonight should being us the TX-Sector update, bringing an end to Season 5. I'm gonna go predict right now the first table of Season 6 is that AG Soccer table.
Pretty sure you're right, at least on the TX tip, FS streamed that today.

Such an underwhelming season :/

Vyse24

513.4mb(!) update for Pinball Arcade. Only things in the update are 1. TX-Sector obviously, and 2. the DMD now shows on the Ripley backglass.

Shaneus

513.4mb(!) update for Pinball Arcade. Only things in the update are 1. TX-Sector obviously, and 2. the DMD now shows on the Ripley backglass.
Biggest file update was GUI2_DLC.Rez, weighing in at 388MB. Whatever that does.

But it also looks like Frankenstein, Ripley's, Starship Troopers and Last Action Hero were all updated... and all Stern/Sega/Data East (but only the DX9 tables). I bet that's not a coincidence.

Vyse24

Well this is unexpected. Stern Pinball Arcade is apparently now on Oculus.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...stern-pinball-arcade-on-oculus-300277879.html
ELK GROVE VILLAGE, Ill., June 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Stern Pinball, Inc., the world's oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball machines, proudly announced today the launch of The Stern Pinball Arcade, available on Oculus. The Stern Pinball Arcade was developed in partnership with Oculus and FarSight Studios, the maker of The Pinball Arcade.

The new virtual reality (VR) version of The Stern Pinball Arcade provides gamers with a fun, immersive pinball experience based on digital recreations of ever-popular Stern Pinball titles. The Pinball Arcade has been downloaded over 20 million times across mobile platforms, PC and consoles. Titles available in the initial release of the Stern Pinball Arcade include Star Trek, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Starship Troopers and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

"We're always looking for creative new ways to provide pinball experiences for current players and future generations," said Gary Stern, Chairman and CEO of Stern Pinball, Inc. "With the introduction of the virtual reality version of The Stern Pinball Arcade, we've put a new, fun spin on our much beloved pinball games."

Oculus, a subsidiary of Facebook and one of VR's leading companies, provides unique VR experiences through its products – Rift and the Samsung Gear VR, powered by Oculus.

Pricing and Availability:
The Stern Pinball Arcade is free to download in the Oculus store and comes with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

Star Trek: $9.99
Ripley's Believe it or Not: $4.99
Starship Troopers: $4.99

The Stern Pinball Arcade will also be released on more platforms this fall including; Oculus Rift, PS4, Xbox One, Wii-U, Steam (PC/MAC), iOS and Android.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
apparently its just for GearVR (dx9 equiv) and video looks like crap
Fall for real VR support

I played it on Gear VR. The picture quality is nowhere near as good as PS4/PC, but it's definitely a different experience. I've been waiting for VR pinball for years, and I'm so glad it's finally here.

Shaneus

I think they made this one easy on purpose to so that there's no doubt what the table is.
Yeah, if it was more vague people could mistake it for Indiana Jones.

Glad that's in though, never played it before and I know a few people like it.

Is that Stern app available anywhere else? Can I play it just on my PC or do I need VR?

Oh my Jun 17 launch date out of nowhere.
Probably a bad week to launch a game though, it's going to get buried in all the AAA E3 hype. Pinball is niche enough without having to climb up an avalanche of other gaming news.

Shaneus

picked these two projects up at southern fried this weekend. shout out to shaneus

acsXHNu.jpg
Congrats! If you wind up with any spare parts (though they both look pretty complete) let me know. Only really bad thing with mine is a little wear where the pops meet the display in the middle, and the "credits" writing isn't there anymore.

But both of those look like they should clean up nicely! Are either working? And how much, if I can be so rude?

Also, if they haven't been touched much the first things you'll need to do are the 80B ground mod, and replace the battery! It had eaten it's way (just a little) through some of my mainboard, but nothing worth worrying about.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Congrats! If you wind up with any spare parts (though they both look pretty complete) let me know. Only really bad thing with mine is a little wear where the pops meet the display in the middle, and the "credits" writing isn't there anymore.

But both of those look like they should clean up nicely! Are either working? And how much, if I can be so rude?

Also, if they haven't been touched much the first things you'll need to do are the 80B ground mod, and replace the battery! It had eaten it's way (just a little) through some of my mainboard, but nothing worth worrying about.

Neither are working, but the one on the left is getting close. Opto doesnt seem to be getting the proper voltage so the ball isn't draining properly. they were a package deal for 500$. im going to look into the ground mod, that might be a possible fix for my opto/drain problem. thanks!

Shaneus

Neither are working, but the one on the left is getting close. Opto doesnt seem to be getting the proper voltage so the ball isn't draining properly. they were a package deal for 500$. im going to look into the ground mod, that might be a possible fix for my opto/drain problem. thanks!
Could well be! Check out the System 80/80A/80B thread on Pinside, there are people there who should be able to help. Also, I think the page on the GTB System 80 series of games from pinwiki (or pinpedia, I forget which one) is also super solid with a lot of tips.

I imagine an opto problem shouldn't be too hard to fix. I think you got a great deal with those machines! Probably wouldn't be able to make your money back on them (the appeal for these games just isn't there) but for novelty value, you'll love them.

Also, be sure to hook up some way of adding credits to the machine externally... there's no free play option on the 80B :(

Shaneus

Sweet, I didn't know it was out already! I think I might've backed them on that thing... Indiegala or whatever. Will have to double-check.

Otherwise, will be in for the Gold package, as always. Anyone know how much longer it's on sale for?

What did they do to the interface on Pinball Arcade? I knew it was coming but dear lord it's awful. Why did they take out the option to sort by purchased tables on the Android version?

Vyse24

Well it seems that messing with the menu can cause the game to crash now. Hopefully Farsight will make some changes to it sooner than later.

In better news, I've decided that it was time I got some Wizard Goals completed. In the past few weeks, I've completed Black Knight, Fireball, Theatre of Magic, Red & Ted, and Class of 1812. That makes it 44/72 tables completed.

Teppic

The new UI is truly horrid. Really bad controller support. Only small images that are hard to make out for table selection. That awful music. You can't see table goals in the menu. I refuse to buy any new tables until it's been improved.

And right in time for summer sale. What a shame.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The new UI is truly horrid. Really bad controller support. Only small images that are hard to make out for table selection. That awful music. You can't see table goals in the menu. I refuse to buy any new tables until it's been improved.

Is there any way to go back to the old one?

vg260

They actually made it worse? Unreal.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I played some Kiss Pro tonight and really liked it. It's a super fun layout. Also played GOT Premium. Game is fun, but he kickback on the battering ram is brutal...

Shaneus

Had a look at some screens for Zaccaria on PC, and no surprise that at least graphically, it takes a giant dump on TPA, even the DX11 version. Can't wait to buy it and give it a good go.

Quick FYI, season 3 is in the steam sale for $10. It's not the best season and the new UI is...bad, but for $10 it's still a great deal.

Anyone know if when they move to VR current owned tables will work? Will we need to repurchase?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
General Pinball Talk:

Metallica has new code woohoo! Really enjoy this new-pinball thing of getting updated code. I haven't played my machine in a few weeks and the new code and getting my scores wiped will definitely trigger another manic weekend of play. :p

On the GB front, I am a little annoyed at how delayed my LE has been. I probably don't have the time to play it right now but was hoping to have it in before a bunch of family visits in mid-July and it looks less likely now. :/

Has anyone been listening to Nate's (Coast2Coast Pinball) new podcast? Have only listened to 20m or so but man I'm really disappointed he moved away from the old format. I get that he's just not that interested in general pinball talk anymore, but it's really unfortunate because the tournament/competitive stuff is completely uninteresting to me. I find it weird that someone who's not even very good would be so interested in talking competitive exclusively but to each his own. Just bummed because C2C used to be one of my favorite podcasts and I have a one-hour commute into work every morning so really loved when he'd crank out 2-3 quality pods a week.

Shaneus

Has anyone been listening to Nate's (Coast2Coast Pinball) new podcast? Have only listened to 20m or so but man I'm really disappointed he moved away from the old format. I get that he's just not that interested in general pinball talk anymore, but it's really unfortunate because the tournament/competitive stuff is completely uninteresting to me. I find it weird that someone who's not even very good would be so interested in talking competitive exclusively but to each his own. Just bummed because C2C used to be one of my favorite podcasts and I have a one-hour commute into work every morning so really loved when he'd crank out 2-3 quality pods a week.
Yeah, I don't mind the new show, but hear you if you don't really get into competitive pinball. To be fair though, it hadn't really been like it's old self for at least a year I'd say.

If you need something to listen to to kill some time, I highly recommend the 404 Show and Beastcast, both are shows Nate has recommended and I can vouch, they're very entertaining!

Hell, even the most recent Beastcast has a nod to Black Knight 2000 in it :)

Remy

So, is this Season 6? Can I buy it now?

I got a message through Kickstarter on Wednesday indicating that it would be (as I backed Dr. Who at a level where they were throwing in Season 6 passes):

FarSight Studios said:
Please be sure to fill out your survey ASAP so we can make sure to get your season passes unlocked for Steam and mobile devices. We will be releasing Indianapolis 500® this Friday and would love to make sure you all get the table on time!

Shaneus

Pretty sure this is the first season for PC I won't be buying in the first week or so that it's out. Shithouse UI and that fucking bugs list on PAF that grows and NEVER gets smaller, it's just not fucking worth it.

GuyKazama

I didn't think their iOS UI could get worse -- but after years of work, they've proved me wrong!

I mean, seriously, the text doesn't even fit in the buttons. The brushed metal reminds me of an interface I would find in an early '90s cd-rom game.

vg260

I didn't think their iOS UI could get worse -- but after years of work, they've proved me wrong!

I mean, seriously, the text doesn't even fit in the buttons. The brushed metal reminds me of an interface I would find in an early '90s cd-rom game.

For real, it is so bad. I can't believe I'm wishing for the old one back.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If they can get Big Hurt, hopefully they can get Shaq Attaq.

GuyKazama

I'm starting to think that Jay (Farsight founder) is now more focused on his political career than the app. Ever since he was elected to state assembly, Pinball Arcade has been in cruise control -- and now it is regressing.

HotHamBoy

TPA is going to be a hot mess indefinitely. What, there's like 16 platforms with both shared and unique bugs and glitches and general roughness?

They are concurrently developing Stern Pinball Arcade, an entirely new app, for 8 platforms.

But what are you gonna do as a pinball fan, not buy it? There's literally no other company making digital recreations of real-life pinball tables on these platforms. Well, Zaccaria, but come on. VP's fanmade tables on PC don't count. They have a monopoly on the (incredibly niche) market.

I love pinball and my state has like 8 pinball tables in it. TPA is the only way I can experience most of these games. It burns my ass everytime I give them another $5, because I know they have no incentive to fix their laundry list of bullshit and have DREADFUL communication. But they have me by the god damn (silver) balls...

Anyway, Indy 500 is fun as hell. Just played this on a visit to Nashville, TN. TPA version is good enough, if a bit easy.

(Farsight, Kickstart some funding for a Graphic Designer, I'll pitch in. You don't have to use some coder's little nephew)

Top Bottom