• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Resident Evil Revelations series should make a comeback

Hey GAF, I recently picked up the Revelations collection for Switch, and re visited both Revelations games as a result. Wow, both of them are solid 8 out of 10 category tier games! Both of them have their flaws unique to them, but looking back at both, they weren't THAT bad. I even prefer them to stuff like RE7 and probably the upcoming RE8, because of two reasons mainly...1.) The familiar characters like Jill being the main star of REV 1 while Claire is the main star of REV 2 and 2.) They're in third person, yet try to balance the action and ammo conservation. At this particular point in time, third person feels more recognizably Resident Evil than say first person. Plus it lets devs do cool things like add in optional gyro aiming (and even a cool IR camera based reload function exclusive to REV 2!). I like the idea of lower-budget RE games that star main characters from the franchise we haven't got to play as in a while, and flaws aside they're good fun games to play, and as a result I feel like the Revelations subseries should make a comeback to complement the first person mainline games.

bender

What time is it?
I thought the first one was interesting because it was on the 3DS. Rev 2 always felt like a super low budget effort. I've never wrapped my head around why people love it so much. Maybe it's the raid mode?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Agree, OP. Revelations as an RE side series with a lower budget, to explore cool new ideas that the main games wouldn’t necessarily touch, is fertile ground for great, fun gaming experiences.

Moreover, remakes aside, games in the main series take so long to come out these days. This kind of ensures a regular stream of RE content every couple of years.

Also, if they happen to make a first person entry that some have no interest in as an RE game, twice in a row, as you mentioned, we at least have somewhere to go.

-Arcadia-

Banned
If it’s a matter of finding the manpower, I’m sure there are plenty of developers outside the company, that with the right guidance, could create awesome RE games.

RE3 Remake was sort of an example of that, flaws aside. That endeavor could have borne better fruit, but it was largely a good game.

Last edited:
I personally think they suck. 1 was ok for a handheld title, but still pretty bad. 2 was just awful. Granted I only played the first episode, but it was probably the worst bit of Resident Evil I had ever played, so I didn't bother to finish it. Are you telling me that it miraculously gets good after the first episode? What I remember is walking in a straight path for a few hours in some horribly uninspired locale (prison or something) with mediocre combat and zero puzzles or interactivity with the world. Oh and I played it with a friend in co-op, but it still sucked.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Dai Sato wrote both of them, first game tried to set a lot of things up and nothing ever really came of it, second game is unapologetic trashy violence and gore slasher type of game and it's worse but also better than the first one. I mean a third one with HUNK would be cool but other than that I don't think we need to see another one soon.

Also the Wesker Children is still the most garbage asspull in the series.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
They are both very good games in the series, and both stories played out interestingly enough. I loved the transitions into each chapter or episode the most, I lived to hear this song and see the cliffhanger leading into the current episode

Astral Dog

They were good but a little rough over the edges. Rev1 was a cool handheld game Rev2 had a cool story and villain

and dude we know VILLAGE was supposed to be Revelations 3 until it was retooled so the side series wasn't really dead long ago.

I think the problem was differentiating them from the main line games, Revelations ARE main games, but also weren't treated that way by the fanbase that mostly dismissed them as lower quality, Capcom noticed this and if Dusk Golem is right they are thinking about removing numbers entirely to focus on titles.

Loved the first two, and as lower budget, action co-op games they'd have a fine niche away from the third and first person survival horror of the mainline and REmake titles.

HE1NZ

Banned
I personally think they suck. 1 was ok for a handheld title, but still pretty bad. 2 was just awful. Granted I only played the first episode, but it was probably the worst bit of Resident Evil I had ever played, so I didn't bother to finish it. Are you telling me that it miraculously gets good after the first episode? What I remember is walking in a straight path for a few hours in some horribly uninspired locale (prison or something) with mediocre combat and zero puzzles or interactivity with the world. Oh and I played it with a friend in co-op, but it still sucked.
It's excellent.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
There is no need really because apparently Capcom got their development pipeline in check now since they have yearly releases of actual AAA entries every year. Pumping in one more low budget title like Revelations in between would only lead to oversaturation IMO.

HE1NZ

Banned
There is no need really because apparently Capcom got their development pipeline in check now since they have yearly releases of actual AAA entries every year. Pumping in one more low budget title like Revelations in between would only lead to oversaturation IMO.
I'd prefer Revelations 3 (by RE2-3 team) instead of another remake.

Honestly, I'd rather see the return of Resident Evil Outbreak. That was so fun and felt more like survival horror than Revelations. I'd even be happy with a remake of both Outbreak games, as long as they keep online coop.

And remove that you're always infected no matter what. I will never understand Capcoms fetish for putting time limits on so much of their stuff. I don't feel urgency, just annoyance that i can't move at a slower pace and take it all in.

GKTUWWB.jpg

Last edited:
They'll be great to give space to RE characters you don't see everytime

REv3, for example, should start Rebecca
You don't need to see Rebecca. When this series became about the survivors and stopped being about surviving awful situations is when this shit went downhill. None of these characters are that interesting, it would be nice if this fan base would get the fuck over them.

Rev 1 was decent for what it was, Rev 2 is excellent and had a really interesting story and better gunplay then it's predecessor.

People who say it's low budget, well duh it's a spinoff first made for the then newly released 3DS as a show case of it's graphical power.

Vawn

Banned
I'm a huge RE fan, especially the original trilogy and their remakes, but Revelations bored me and I never bothered with the second. So, nah.

Last edited:
The ongoing narrative is a big draw of the series for me and I like the Revelations subseries because it shows us what's happening with other characters. I also like the CG movies because we get to see familiar faces in new situations (although Vendetta had bad writing and worse action scenes) in a continuous narrative set in a world plagued with bioterrorism and unseen evil organizations. The Family, The Connections... Blue Umbrella? Some people don't like that. They will say the series should have ended with Resident Evil 5 because that was when it came full circle, setting it in West Africa where the Progenitor virus originated and Chris killing Wesker. But I think it's super interesting to see where they are going. Did Chris really become a villain in Resident Evil 8 or is he working undercover or is it a clone? In the meantime, Resident Evil Revelations 3 would be cool to see. I don't think it will happen but I would prefer it over the remakes.

Last edited:

Neff

I like them. The fact that Village was purportedly Revelations 3 but deemed too good for a modest budget and given an expensive Toy Story 2-style ground-up makeover is very promising.

RE5 Lost in Nightmares is better than both.

Well yeah. Lost in Nightmares is the best thing to happen to the series since 4 imo. It's a shame they didn't keep it in the original version of 5 as initially planned.

Davey Cakes

Revelations was one of my favorite 3DS games. Had a ton of fun with it. Revelations 2 was a bit boring for me and I couldn't bother after a few chapters. I think I might just be losing interest in these games after all these years.

Last edited:

Aidah

Absolutely loved those two games, the 1st one particularly. The extra modes in the first one were really good. Of course I want a 3rd one.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
They'll be great to give space to RE characters you don't see everytime

REv3, for example, should start Rebecca

Oh common, Barry Burton needs to be the star, you never see older male protagonists anymore... Remember Joel? yeah well not anymore.

Barry Burton makes so much sense from a gameplay/lore perspective too. He was the squads gunsmith, meaning he is an expert at customising fire arms, if you want a gun customisation mechanic.... Barry the man to do it with. Have the man stranded in a remote location and have him craft his own weapons out of the parts available, the guy has been asking for a main series installment since the first game as he's one of the few survivers in canon to not get an entire game dedicated to them. Rebecca had hers with zero, give the old man a turn.

Last edited:
Oh common, Barry Burton needs to be the star, you never see older male protagonists anymore... Remember Joel? yeah well not anymore.

Barry Burton makes so much sense from a gameplay/lore perspective too. He was the squads gunsmith, meaning he is an expert at customising fire arms, if you want a gun customisation mechanic.... Barry the man to do it with. Have the man stranded in a remote location and have him craft his own weapons out of the parts available, the guy has been asking for a main series installment since the first game as he's one of the few survivers in canon to not get an entire game dedicated to them. Rebecca had hers with zero, give the old man a turn.
You know he was the star of Revelations 2 right?

Revelations 2 holds a special place in my heart because I had written the series off as dead after RE6 but Revelations 2 convinced me that the series could still be good, it was the first RE game I liked in a decade (I wouldn't get around to playing Rev 1 until after) and sure enough it was a sign that the series was making a comeback.

Rev 1 is good too, while neither are quite the "pure" RE experience, they're basically better versions of what 6 was going for.

There's just something I really like about Rev 2, I just really like the story, characters and overall atmosphere.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You know he was the star of Revelations 2 right?

Yeah and I still felt he needed a game dedicated to him, the issue with being a 3rd of a title is that while everyone has a unique mechanic, they didn't have a unique mechanic that the whole game was based around, he needs his own title, the fact he was in the prior title would help with that too.

Hugare

Honestly, I'd rather see the return of Resident Evil Outbreak. That was so fun and felt more like survival horror than Revelations. I'd even be happy with a remake of both Outbreak games, as long as they keep online coop.

And remove that you're always infected no matter what. I will never understand Capcoms fetish for putting time limits on so much of their stuff. I don't feel urgency, just annoyance that i can't move at a slower pace and take it all in.

GKTUWWB.jpg
Honestly, RE 7 should have been a RE Outbreak game, and as an extension, also RE 8

They could have used the Outbreak series to introduce random normal people such as Ethan, in strange situations across the globe with new types of enemies (such as the mold or the vampire ladies).

But nope, let's put Chris in the game and make Ethan another superhero main character in the series. So dumb.

Maybe it was the only way to have that much budget in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom