• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The rest of Louisiana sticking it to New Orleans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Sounds like decades of payback to the city.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politic...977980,print.story?coll=la-headlines-politics

Power Shifting With Population in Post-Katrina Louisiana
Evacuations to rural areas and other states decrease New Orleans' clout in the Legislature.
By Ellen Barry
Times Staff Writer

November 17, 2005

BATON ROUGE, La. — In a committee room deep inside Louisiana's Capitol building this week, something unusual happened: A House panel rejected a funding proposal from the Department of Education, complaining that it was overly generous to New Orleans' public schools.

Rep. Charlie DeWitt, a conservative Democrat from the rural community of Lecompte, was downright gleeful afterward. Sending that budget back, he said, was "so much fun."

Things are looking up for DeWitt, a former House speaker, who before Hurricane Katrina felt so out of favor politically that he joined a group of legislators known as the "Outhouse Gang."

An influx of evacuees has added to the population of his district, padding its tax base. And he and his allies in the Legislature are looking forward to the long-delayed pleasure of flexing their political muscles.

"It's hard to sing the blues if you're doing well," DeWitt said. "We're doing well."

Before hurricanes Katrina and Rita, there was a familiar equilibrium in the Louisiana Legislature, whose hallway still is pocked with bullet holes from Huey P. Long's assassination. Black Democrats were key allies of Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, and conservative rural lawmakers harbored age-old grievances about New Orleans' grip on political power.

Now, with the city's population dispersed — and no indication of whether, or when, most residents will return — some lawmakers hope they are witnessing a permanent reversal of fortunes, said Elliot Stonecipher, a political analyst based in Shreveport.

"Even good people are quietly sitting back, not lending their support to the rebuilding of New Orleans," Stonecipher said. "What you're seeing is a lot of people snickering and winking and nodding…. This is something they thought they would never see."

Late Monday, Rep. Karen Carter — a New Orleans Democrat and member of the Legislative Black Caucus — argued for a change in a bill to reduce the tax rate for businesses from 3.8% to 3.3%. The break, she said, should not be extended to oil companies that have seen record profits in recent months.

"They don't need relief right now," she said. "To offer them something more when we are making cuts in central services makes absolutely no sense."

Carter exited the floor a few minutes later, looking drained. The tax breaks had passed overwhelmingly, and her amendment was voted down.

Carter described the special session as an experience of "frustration and disarray." And she laid the blame at the feet of Blanco, who she said showed "a complete lack of vision and leadership."

"I think, after this session, she will realize some of the shortcomings [of her agenda]," Carter said. "At least I'm hopeful."

Similar complaints have come from the Legislative Black Caucus itself, which filed suit last week in District Court, charging that Blanco had violated the state constitution by ordering $500 million in cuts to the budget without consulting lawmakers.

Black legislators also have protested the agenda for the special session, charging that it centers on deep budget cuts and tax breaks to industry rather than aid to Katrina's victims.

"It would appear that the administration is moving to the right," said Rep. Cedric Richmond, a New Orleans Democrat and president of the black caucus. "We're going to continue to speak for the people whose voice is ignored, and that's poor people — not just African American, but poor people across the state."

Louisiana's Legislature is powerfully influenced by the governor, who has the right to select legislative officers, veto single items in bills, call special sessions and choose which matters will be heard.

Denise Bottcher, a spokeswoman for the governor, said Blanco was not undergoing a political shift, but responding to the needs of a state in financial crisis.

"I think when you're faced with a billion-dollar budget deficit … any fiscally responsible governor would go about starting to cut," Bottcher said. "We have no other choice. It is as simple as that. There are 200,000 people no longer in the state. If we have a smaller population, we should have smaller government."

Blanco responded to criticism from the black caucus by saying they were angered by her decision to freeze $11 million in Urban and Rural Development spending, which critics describe as slush funds. Richmond shot back a letter describing Blanco's comments as "the lowest form of race-baiting."

Amid this rancor, key pieces of legislation already have passed: On Monday, the state House and Senate passed bills that would allow the state to take over most or all of New Orleans' troubled schools, and the Senate passed a bill backed by Blanco that would create a state authority overseeing levees and coastal protection. The House on Tuesday approved $600 million in budget cuts, including those made by Blanco. The session will last 17 days, ending Nov. 22.

Analysts say it is far too early to predict the effects of migration from New Orleans, except that they will be enormous. Over the next three years, almost half of the state's elected officials will be forced out by term limits. Congressional elections loom in 2006, and statewide elections follow in 2007.

"We don't know who's coming back and in what numbers and how long it will take," said Jim Brandt of the Louisiana Public Affairs Research Council, an independent, nonprofit think tank in Baton Rouge. "Obviously there has been a large segment of the governor's electoral margin that is now in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and elsewhere. Demographers really are guessing. They don't have numbers to work with."

Still, some conservatives already are celebrating a change in the political atmosphere of the Capitol. DeWitt said the loss of minority voters to other states would resonate in Louisiana for many years.

"This state has totally changed politically," DeWitt said. "I think it's going to be probably one of the most conservative states in the South."

Troy Hebert, a Democrat from Jeanerette, was similarly upbeat. Hebert founded the Outhouse Gang in 2004 after Blanco stripped him of the chairmanship of the House Insurance Committee and gave it to Carter. The coming months, Hebert said, will make it easier for legislators to act independently of the governor.

"The old saying goes, 'Times are changing,' " Hebert said. "Well, times are changing at the Capitol, probably a lot faster than some people want."

Phoenix

Yep. They've already forgotten that it was they who screwed New Orleans and doomed it to its current existence, they who remove most of the money the city makes in special taxes and such, and they who (if I were in a position of power) would currently be defending themselves from jail time for willful criminal negligence. Yet now, when the goose that laid the golden egg that funds the state is on the verge of death - these idiots and degenerates seek to make sure to kill the goose. And for what? Petty jealousy.

Leadership from the top down in this country is just shit, altogether political shit.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I think New Orleans just needs to become a resort town. I am not sure how many people have moved back or are planning to. But I say expand the French Quarter, try to give tax breaks to entice some new investments in the town. Maybe model the town after Vegas or something like it.

The politics of the recovery are a mother though.

Phoenix

dskillzhtown said:
I think New Orleans just needs to become a resort town. I am not sure how many people have moved back or are planning to. But I say expand the French Quarter, try to give tax breaks to entice some new investments in the town. Maybe model the town after Vegas or something like it.

Naggin suggested this as was soundly silenced on the issue at a state congress meeting.

Ripclawe

Banned
On the bright side of New Orleans.. This is one of the reasons communities justified putting up police blockades outside of New Orleans and the Baton Rouge mayor said he did not want to "inherit that breed" from New Orleans when the evacuees started to show up.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1320056

NEW ORLEANS, Nov. 16, 2005 — New Orleans police say they have never seen so much peace and quiet on the city's streets.

"We haven't seen a robbery since the beginning of August," said Lt. Troy Savage, who patrols what was once the city's most violent neighborhood.

"We're probably at this point, one of the safest communities in the United States," he said.

Police said a woman was stabbed to death Tuesday night — the first such incident in 90 days, a record in this city.

Since Hurricane Katrina forced most of the residents to relocate, police say, the daily shootings and killings have stopped.

"This was the most lethal criminal underclass in the United States," said Dr. Peter Scharf, director of the University of New Orleans Center for Society, Law and Justice. "We were heading for a murder rate of 72 per 100,000. New York City is at seven."

Scharf says, according to city records, there were 265 murders in New Orleans last year, 258 murders in 2003, and 275 in 2002.

Warren J. Riley, New Orleans' acting superintendent of police, says the drug dealers and gangs evacuated with the residents and haven't returned.

"We're a small town; we're Mayberry right now," Riley said.

Crime Wave Spreads

By some estimates, hardcore criminals in New Orleans numbered in the tens of thousands, and they're now living in other cities — Baton Rouge, Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston.

Houston Police Chief Harold Hurtt says crime is up in neighborhoods where large numbers of evacuees have settled.

He says he needs 400 new officers and has asked the Federal Emergency Management Agency for financial assistance.

"We're not going to let anyone come into the city and break the law at will," Hurtt said.

Last week, Houston police arrested a New Orleans man charged with four murders.

In Georgia, police have been busy busting alleged New Orleans drug dealers trying set up shop in and around Atlanta.

As a result, residents in some places are beginning to roll up the welcome mat. It's a criminal element some cities didn't expect, and New Orleans doesn't want back.

ABC News' Steve Osunsami filed this report for "World News Tonight."

Phoenix

In Georgia, police have been busy busting alleged New Orleans drug dealers trying set up shop in and around Atlanta.

I remember when this first started. It started out with Atlanta drug dealers calling the police about encroaching New Orleans drug dealers and a few confrontations that led to gunfights - which the New Orleans folks lost.

Triumph

Banned
Phoenix said:
I remember when this first started. It started out with Atlanta drug dealers calling the police about encroaching New Orleans drug dealers and a few confrontations that led to gunfights - which the New Orleans folks lost.
Repruhzent! A-town ain't numba one fo nuttin!

Ripclawe

Banned
I don't remember seeing so much "fuck that" to one city within its own state like this before.

http://www.nola.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/news-2/1133593181325970.xml

Jefferson Parish Councilman Byron Lee says that his constituents were speaking out of fear when they decried plans to build a temporary trailer park in Marrero to house hurricane victims.

No doubt he's right, but the comments some West Bank residents made at a public forum also reflect another emotion: hatred. That's a shame because hatred is far more destructive.

"If they want to take in Jefferson Parish residents only, that's one thing. But outsiders, no," one woman said. Another speaker was less subtle: "How do we know these people are not from the projects of Orleans?"

A FEMA spokeswoman told audience members who were fretting about a crime surge that they shouldn't assume the trailers would house bad people. The crowd responded with derisive laughter.

Bigotry, whether it's based on ZIP code, income level or race seems to be alive and well after Katrina, and that's disgraceful. This region simply can't endure another force that tears us apart when we are working so hard to knit back together, and parish officials shouldn't pander to bigots.

Unfortunately, that's what Mr. Lee is doing. He says he'll block people from moving into the Ames site and is pulling plans for three additional parks in his district until FEMA addresses concerns.

Perhaps FEMA can address issues like density -- the one complaint Mr. Lee raised that might have some validity. But it's difficult to see how FEMA can address deep-seated prejudice and irrational fear. It seems unlikely that the angry, shouting people at the forum would be more willing to welcome New Orleanians as neighbors if they were just spaced a little more widely.

Mr. Lee said that no one wants trailers in their backyard. But that's pre-Katrina talk, and the truth is, NIMBY-ism was mean-spirited and small-minded even before the storm blew in.

If the New Orleans area is to revive, we will have to tolerate trailers -- in driveways, in parks and other places. FEMA needs to ensure that the temporary trailer parks are secure and that surrounding neighborhoods are not overrun with traffic, noise and other nuisances. But the fact is, trailers are a necessary part of repopulating the metro area.

Dracos

And the planned "purging" of my home town continues.

Hurricane provides cover.
Blow the levees.
Flush out the "roaches".
Cleanup.
Hike up property values.
Move back in.
"Unwanted" cockblocked..I mean priceblocked.
City "reclaimed".

God I hate politics.
(just a playful conspiracy theory)

Ripclawe

Banned
DarienA said:
wow... just... wow....

Not the first time, usually its one region against another, but this is an entire state targeting N.O and we don't want you attitude.

http://washtimes.com/upi/20050908-112433-4907r.htm

"Police from surrounding jurisdictions shut down several access points to one of the only ways out of New Orleans last week, effectively trapping victims of Hurricane Katrina in the flooded and devastated city.

"We shut down the bridge," Arthur Lawson, chief of the City of Gretna Police Department, confirmed to United Press International, adding that his jurisdiction had been "a closed and secure location" since before the storm hit.

"All our people had evacuated and we locked the city down," he said. The bridge in question -- the Crescent City Connection -- is the major artery heading west out of New Orleans across the Mississippi River.

Lawson said that once the storm itself had passed Monday, police from Gretna City, Jefferson Parrish and the Louisiana State Crescent City Connection Police Department closed to foot traffic the three access points to the bridge closest to the West Bank of the river.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/shared/news/nation/stories/09/06KATRINA_CLASH.html

BATON ROUGE, La. – Chillin' on the levee by the Mississippi River on a sunny Monday morning, Nutty and Slim Nine and Doughboy, Jr., admitted that they are already homesick for New Orleans.

"This ain't like the city, where everybody got a nickname that everybody knows you by," said Nutty, 18, whose tattooed nickname was spelled out in two-inch high block letters between his right shoulder and elbow. "I'm trying to get back home — back to the N.O."

"I don't like the curfew here," said Doughboy, Jr., 16. "And I don't like the police. They make grown people stay inside at night."

"We got gangs — 'Catch, Catch, Get A Little Bit', 'Suicide', a bunch of others," said Slim Nine, 20. "And we know the police crew. People here just don't understand us. New Orleans is a fun city." They did not want to give their full names because "people might be after us."

While not typical of the thousands relocated here from New Orleans, they do reflect part of an emerging culture clash in this normally unhurried Southern college town and state capital that in a week has become the largest city in Louisiana with a parish-wide population that may triple to 1 million.

A local news report quoted a Realtor telling of rich refugees from the Big Easy bringing suitcases of cash and buying houses on the spot. There are no rooms to rent anywhere in any price range. Families have taken in kinfolks who have no plans to leave. Suddenly there are traffic jams and lines of cars at gas stations. There's been a run on guns and tear gas by wary residents.

"It's totally related" to the influx of refugees from New Orleans, said Geralynn Prince of Securitas Security Systems, an agency that has many "immediate openings" for security guards.

"We need three or four times as many" as usual, said Prince, whose business supplies armed guards for retail stores and supply warehouses. "We'll take all the qualified people we can hire."

The feared outbreak of crime has not occurred. But unease was dramatically illustrated last Wednesday when a fight broke out at the River Center, the downtown convention center across from the levee. About 5,500 refugees are being housed there, making it the largest shelter in Louisiana.

After the fight, Baton Rouge Mayor-President Melvin L. "Kip" Holden beefed up the police presence and blasted the state for sending "New Orleans thugs" for his city to house.

"We do not want to inherit the looting and all of the other foolishness that went on in New Orleans," Holden told reporters. "We do not want to inherit that breed that seeks to prey on other people."

Phoenix

Dracos said:
And the planned "purging" of my home town continues.

Hurricane provides cover.
Blow the levees.
Flush out the "roaches".
Cleanup.
Hike up property values.
Move back in.
"Unwanted" cockblocked..I mean priceblocked.
City "reclaimed".

God I hate politics.
(just a playful conspiracy theory)

You are likely not far from truth. I'm watching it unfold and bitching about it to my local politicians all the time.

Dracos

Phoenix said:
You are likely not far from truth. I'm watching it unfold and bitching about it to my local politicians all the time.

I've got property near City Park, so I'm definately watching how all of this unfolds.

Something else to play with:

Lower 9 levee gets blown in secret.
Run niggas run.
Lakeview wall is broken cause God don't like ugly.
:D
(Another playful CT)

Ripclawe

Banned
teiresias said:
It's the south . . . enough said.

well.. in Melvin's case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kip_Holden

KipHolden.jpg

There is racism, but a strong sense of we can get rid of N.O. now.

Phoenix

There are a variety of things going on:

a) We can get at that money New Orleans used to make
b) We can redistrict and get political power
c) We can acquire business rights on the river that New Orleans had a monopoly on

A lot of this is all about the money...

Doth Togo

Phoenix said:
Yep. They've already forgotten that it was they who screwed New Orleans and doomed it to its current existence, they who remove most of the money the city makes in special taxes and such, and they who (if I were in a position of power) would currently be defending themselves from jail time for willful criminal negligence. Yet now, when the goose that laid the golden egg that funds the state is on the verge of death - these idiots and degenerates seek to make sure to kill the goose. And for what? Petty jealousy.

Leadership from the top down in this country is just shit, altogether political shit.

In such ashes will rise the Antichrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom