• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The right wing's harassment campaign against a BLM supporter who made a bad cop joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/09/victim-of-a-scary-web-shaming-speaks-out.html#

Foy felt terrible about the shooting, she explained to Daily Intelligencer in the first full interview she has granted after a terrifying few days, but as a politically active person who had been watching with interest and sympathy as the Black Lives Matter movement has grown, she was also bothered by what she saw as a double standard on display in the aftermath of Goforth's death: When an unarmed person of color is killed by police, she said, there’s often an immediate effort to prove that they were “no angel,” that in some way or another they had it coming (though George Zimmerman was a neighborhood watch volunteer rather than a police officer, this general tendency toward victim-blaming tendency was pretty clearly on display in the case of Trayvon Martin). When a white person — especially a police officer — is killed, people seem much more able to accept the fact that some killings are simply unjustified, full-stop.

So Foy tweeted a dry joke about what she saw as the different ways society responds to different deaths: “I can’t believe so many people care about a dead cop and NO ONE has thought to ask what he did to deserve it. He had creepy perv eyes …”

Disastrously for Foy, the tweet quickly got screen-grabbed and began spreading among right-wing Twitter users, who immediately sought to amplify it. It found its way to Brandon Darby, managing director of Breitbart Texas, part of the far-right Breitbart website. Darby, as he would soon explain, quickly decided that it was on him to step in and defend the murdered deputy’s legacy against the threat apparently posed to it by a college student’s tweet. And as a journalist with a good-size megaphone, there was one obvious way to do that.

Darby directly informed Foy what was in store for her:

04-foy-tweet.nocrop.w529.h339.png

(I emailed Darby some questions about why he saw Foy as a legitimate target, and I got back a response from a Breitbart spokesperson who said that Darby’s article was part of the website’s ongoing effort to investigate the “violent” nature of BLM and its followers. The response is hard to take seriously given that Foy couldn’t be further from a public BLM figure, and that Darby openly admitted to a more straightforward motive: He was furious about the tweet and wanted to bring Foy “fame” among Breitbart readers as retribution.)

But while Foy was in class, Darby got his wish: The story almost immediately went viral, leading to what can only be described as an epic and scary shitstorm. Her Facebook and Twitter feeds were inundated with threats and harassment. On the Breitbart website and Facebook page, the number of comments ballooned; there are now more than 41,000. A huge number of the tweets and comments ridiculed her physical appearance, and there was a racially aggrieved undercurrent to many of them: There was frequent speculation about Foy (who looks and identifies as white) sleeping with black men, as well as some comments hoping that she got raped by one.

By the time Foy got to her husband’s office, she’d received a number of increasingly urgent texts from friends who were worried about her — they’d seen what was going on online, and, not knowing Foy had had her phone off for five hours, had noticed that she wasn’t responding. Her phone number and address had been leaked online multiple times, and the death threats had started coming in via Twitter, phone calls, and text messages. Foy and her husband rushed home, grabbed what they could — “I was looking out the window the entire time that we were there” — and headed for Foy’s mother’s house.

Foy said she received about 30 voice-mail death threats. Here are some of them — the language is obviously not safe for work.

Thursday, for the first time since the tweet, Foy didn’t get a single death threat. But she said she woke up Friday to two new voice-mails again threatening her life. “I don’t think I’ll ever feel safe again,” Foy said, simply because a small percentage of the people who attacked her seem so unhinged. “To the majority of the public it’ll blow over. Labor Day weekend’s coming up, and I know people are going to party and forget. But there is a percentage of people that — I’m on their list. I’m on their eternal list, and they want my head on the chopping block.” It’s a numbers thing, in other words. “It just takes one bullet to kill me from one gun from one person, and that one person is out there. So no, I will never feel safe. Not for me, not for my family, not for anyone I know who has publicly supported me.”

... Umm, so, yeah, white supremacists are not only pretty frightening, but they are also obsessed with political correctness apparently.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Why is this framed like she did nothing wrong? If a cop said something this stupid, even if it was a joke, they would receive this type of treatment from BLM supporters.

I'm not saying anything they're saying is right, I'm just saying that neither side is going to let something like that slide.

Xe4

Banned
She could have worded it better, but I know what she was going for.
Still not ok to start victim blaming no matter who it is, at least until all the facts are out, but at least she was trying to make a comparison. More than a lot of people talking about black "thugs" can say.
Also, threataning people with death for something they said is extremely fucked up, like that even needs to be pointed out.

Kite

I remember Monica Foy, she tweeted a celebration over the death of a cop and was later arrested for an outstanding warrant for assault. Seems like karma to me.

http://www.12newsnow.com/story/2994...-deputy-gets-arrested-for-outstanding-warrant

A Sam Houston State University student who came under fire for her comments about a slain Harris County deputy has been arrested on an unrelated warrant.

Shortly after the death of Harris County deputy Darren Goforth, Monica Foy, a Sam Houston State University student, tweeted, "I can't believe so many people care about a dead cop and NO ONE has thought to ask what he did to deserve it. He had creepy perv eyes..."

The tweet went viral. The attention to her social media accounts led someone to recognize her as an individual who had an outstanding warrant for an assault. This was brought to the attention of the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office who sent a deputy to her house to take her into custody. She was arrested without incident.

Foy has since bonded out of jail.

Sam Houston State University said it is evaluating Foy's actions to see if she violated the student's code of conduct.

The University issued the following statement on its facebook page:

SHSU appreciates the enormous public response in support of law enforcement. The university is a leader in educating many people who work in criminal justice and those who protect the civil liberties this country was founded upon, including free speech, whether we agree with that speech or not.

SHSU has a strong Student Code of Conduct. The student’s remarks will be evaluated to determine if the code was violated following standardized due process. The university has an ongoing commitment to taking actions that strengthen dialog and understanding between our students and the law enforcement community.

Hmm, writing down some names for the next "I can't believe people are sending mean tweets to people because of jokes, treating people with respect gone mad!" thread...

Little to do with the right wing, and more to do with Internet mob justice

The right wing has constantly complained about mob justice for politically incorrect jokes, but they have sent 30 death threats over one and the right wing media outlets actively started this mob.

... Umm, so, yeah, white supremacists are not only pretty frightening, but they are also obsessed with political correctness apparently.

I am liberal as they come, but her tweet is awful, and the Left is just as guilty at online witch hunts.

Also I seen a friend online upset that they are putting down her appearance, but this same person was putting down Kim Davis a couple of weeks ago for her appearance.

Exactly. That said Breitbart's site is pretty scummy.

jtb

Banned
Huh? It doesn't even seem to be a joke celebrating the death of a cop, since it's framed as a push back against victim blaming. It's kind of an incoherent "joke".

ThisGuy

Internet mob takes it too far.

I don't consider this an issue that is a trait of the right or left.

I would hate to be in her position. Gotta keep those shit comments in your circle.

What a surprise. The internet, as always, cannot understand anything even remotely subtle, and then on top of that doubles down on the "harassing women" thing to the point that she and her husband are leaving their home.

Way to go guys, you've certainly proven that no one should ever make political commentary that you disagree with.

Why is this framed like she did nothing wrong? If a cop said something this stupid, even if it was a joke, they would receive this type of treatment from BLM supporters.

I'm not saying anything they're saying is right, I'm just saying that neither side is going to let something like that slide.

The difference is that Monica Foy doesn't have the right to arrest people, and isn't part of a group that has a history of oppressing minorities. Police officers should be held to a higher standard than normal citizens.

JDSN

Banned
Unsurprising, the scrutiny in which the BLM people are under both liberals and conversatives its amazing, they have to be model minorities because many folks already have their pre written statements ready for some tasteless comment to be made:

"Oh, I was ready to support your quest for not being shot in the fucking face until you ___________, MLK wept. #Sanders2016"

Red Mage

Yeah, Anon does this quite a bit. Again, she didn't deserve it, but I think it's more of an example of internet mob 'justice' than Right vs. Left.

Yeah, Anon does this quite a bit. Again, she didn't deserve it, but I think it's more of an example of internet mob 'justice' than Right vs. Left.

Correct, but the right just constantly complains about mob justice campaigns about political correctness and tries to frame that as a thing of the left.

And it's obviously not. This is a harassment campaign that could end in her death over a politically incorrect, sarcastic tweet pointing out the difference between how black victims and cop victims are portrayed.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
People reacted badly to someone celebrating the death of a cop

Wow that's strange

um I hardly call that celebrating.

I've seen a lot of people saying #bluelivesmatter, which to put lightly is completely missing the point of #blacklivesmatter. For instance, literally thousands have come to the memorial of deputy Goforth. The person that committed the crime against Goforth was caught in like less than 48 hours, and charged without delay. You know what else didn't happen though? No one intentially or "accidentally" ran over his memorial at the gas station, no one set fire to his memorial. The community has rallied around his family.

That's the point, maybe the timing was wrong, but maybe people just want to point out the hypocrisy of similar situations treated wholly and completely differently because reasons.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
See, internet outrage isn't really controllable in either direction, and its pretty reprehensible always

...until the point where the editor of a major website picks it up and fucking runs with it. Then it really does cross over into something just awful

Keri

Unfortunately this just seems to be the way the world is going now. Stories like these seem to be becoming more and more common (i.e. Person makes insensitive or offensive comment ---> Internet mobs ruin their lives).

daycru

I want to hear more about how the "creepy perv eyes" bit ties into the hilarious joke. It sure reads like half baked justification for a murder to me. But I'm not as funny as Monica Seinfeld, so these comedic nuances might be lost on the layperson.

Red Mage

Correct, but the right just constantly complains about mob justice campaigns about political correctness and tries to frame that as a thing of the left.

And it's obviously not. This is a harassment campaign that could end in her death over a politically incorrect, sarcastic tweet pointing out the difference between how black victims and cop victims are portrayed.

Yes, both sides do it. I didn't realize claiming it was left-wing only was a thing.

PBY

Banned
Mob justice sucks.

That wasn't a joke though, that was commentary (probably in poor taste though).

I want to hear more about how the "creepy perv eyes" bit ties into the hilarious joke. It sure reads like half baked justification for a murder to me. But I'm not as funny as Monica Seinfeld, so these comedic nuances might be lost on the layperson.

Black man gets shot and picture shown: "Dehumanizing stare, frightening demeanor."

MrGerbils

I don't see internet mob "justice" going away any time soon, so the smart thing to do seems to be getting off social media, or at least making your accounts private.

The Beard

Unfortunately this just seems to be the way the world is going now. Stories like these seem to be becoming more and more common (i.e. Person makes insensitive or offensive comment ---> Internet mobs ruin their lives).

That's true, but use some common sense people. If someone just shot your dad in the back of the head multiple times, how would you feel if someone "jokingly" said, "He probably deserved it, he looked a little creepy. Lulz 😋"?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Benefit of the doubt is real easy to come by when people want to believe someone didn't actually mean what they said.

This all sucks, but I wonder what the reaction would have been if she'd simply been a better writer and worded the sentiment in a different way.

Because it's a perfectly reasonable thing to ask "Why do we blame the victim when black people get shot, but don't even think about it for a moment when a cop does?"

Tagyhag

Frankly, she was stupid to make the joke.

She should have realized that on Twitter of all places, people would have missed the point.

Hell, you have people here who missed it.

It's hard to make subtle (And shit that wasn't even that subtle) jokes on the Internet because people are stupid, and stupid people tend to be dangerous.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Unsurprising, the scrutiny in which the BLM people are under both liberals and conversatives its amazing, they have to be model minorities because many folks already have their pre written statements ready for some tasteless comment to be made:

"Oh, I was ready to support your quest for not being shot in the fucking face until you ___________, MLK wept. #Sanders2016"
What's with the jab at sanders supporters?

JDSN

Banned
This all sucks, but I wonder what the reaction would have been if she'd simply been a better writer and worded the sentiment in a different way.

Because it's a perfectly reasonable thing to ask "Why do we blame the victim when black people get shot, but don't even think about it for a moment when a cop does?"
People would miss the point again and demand evidence that every person that felt one way about that thing also felt one way about the other.

Edit: Not a dig at all supporters Gaime, its just that the attacks are coming from both sides equally.

What's with the jab at sanders supporters?

There were Sanders supporters in those "White supremacist website says BLM notable member isn't actually black, turns out he is black you dumbfucks." trying to push the narrative against Shaun King even though the entire story was from creepy, white supremacist websites.

the douchelord milo yiannopoulos (patron saint of gamergate and breitbart writer) defended this and tried to rile up gamergaters to go against black lives matter when some of them dared to question this.

I'll post it here so you don't need to go into that cestpool, but be warned its pretty disgusting but it shows the midset beyond those that lead these campaigns

Alright, I'll respond. I know that GGers are too gentle a species to engage in the sort of cruel and vindictive social media witch-hunt so often staged by progressives, so instead allow me as a distinguished member of the press to share a few thoughts.
Police officers are dying all over America, executed in some cases by thugs proclaiming that "Black Lives Matter," in apparent ignorance of the fact that most black deaths are caused by other blacks. Meanwhile, some white supporters of the BLM movement are asking whether the cops in question "deserved it."

Enter stupid fat cracker Monica Foy, a large-and-in-charge supporter of Black Lives Matter who called one of the slain officers "creepy," tweeting: “I can’t believe so many people care about a dead cop and NO ONE has thought what he did to deserve it. He had creepy perv eyes." Foy is the latest and greatest example of moronic white lard-asses who might mean well but have bought into the lies and conspiracy theories peddled by BLM organisers.

Where's the grand-scale social protest about the inanity of Black Lives Matter? American universities have nurtured a generation too terrified and politically correct to stand up to them. I'm sorry to say that I see some of this tendency here on KiA too. BLM is a sort of socially acceptable Black Panther Party. Cops seem to be on their own: Obama isn't coming to save them and much of the public is too paralysed by anxiety about saying "the wrong thing" to make the obvious point that supporting black people is not the same thing as supporting Black Lives Matter.

And, guess what. With total predictability, Foy was arrested for an assault that allegedly occurred in 2011. I admit, I'm curious about the circumstances of Foy's assault. Like many fat women, Foy is under the delusion that men lust after her. She doesn't have pervy eyes, but in the photos I can find online she sure does look hungry. Did her bespectacled coworker take the last donut that morning?
Foy is following in the noble tradition of Black Lives Matter, which seems to want as many dead cops as possible, because that will - understandably - prompt officers to shoot first and ask questions later in future altercations. That means more dead blacks and more hand-wringing on Twitter for the sociopathic frauds at the heart of the movement. If that's a bit dark for you, I'm sorry. But let's face it, it's how Goebbels would do it.

If you don't believe me about Black Lives Matter, consider the signs that the extreme element of this movement is sufficiently emboldened today that it's starting to show its face in public. Recently, a BLM-supporting host on Blog Talk Radio said the following: "It's open season on killing whites and police officers and probably killing cops period. It's open season. Picking them off. Today we live in a time where the white man will be picked off."

And the Black Panthers themselves are in the news again, warning Texan cops: "You're gonna stop what you're doing, or we will start creeping up on you in the darkness." They add: "The revolution is on... Off the pigs."

Once upon a time we thought biracial Obama might heal America's racial divisions. Instead they are worse than they have been for decades. This administration seems completely powerless, and the soaring rhetoric of his 2008 campaign, in which Obama argued that we "cannot accept a politics that breeds division," has been consigned to history.

Meanwhile, progressive behemoths like George Soros' Open Society Foundation are doing everything they can to ensure that the poisonous identity politics that underpins the revenge attacks on policemen continues. The ultra-progressive billionaire spent $33 million ensuring that protests in Ferguson continued. Outside activists were brought in to make the protests seem bigger and more spontaneous than they actually were. Now we're seeing the consequences of that expenditure. Racial grievance is sweeping America.

It's not a coincidence that Foy tweeted "#BlackLivesMatter" on the same day as she asked whether the dead cop deserved it. She's typical of the bloodthirsty, psychopathic heart of the movement which isn't really about racial or social justice at all. It's about gloating when innocent police officers are killed. It's about an unfair and divisive war on law enforcement, the vast majority of whom are decent people who put their lives and bodies on the line to keep America's streets safe.

Yet there are idiots in this subreddit and elsewhere who think that someone who danced on the grave of a dead police officer on a public publishing platform deserves special protection from the consequences of her actions. They believe this case to be in some way equivalent to a decades-long pattern at Gawker of ruining people's lives by outing them to their families or taking innocent jokes and turning them into racist social media crusades.

Shame on you. It's not for me to flatter myself--just this once, I'll pass on the opportunity--and remind you what incredible allies Breitbart has been, to you guys and to me, nor where this movement would be without Breitbart spending time and resources sticking up for GamerGate. But if that doesn't matter to you, simply consider what a terrible, meaningless analogy you are making here.

And consider also how "right-wing" has started cropping up here as a term of abuse. How quickly people forget that it was only conservatives and conservative press who gave GamerGate the time of day. It was a conservative actor who named the movement, for Heaven's sake. You say GG is about ethics in games journalism. May I suggest, in the friendliest and most supportive way possible, that you stick to what you know?
Monica Foy is a student, by the way, at Sam Houston State University, which is rightly proud of its strong criminal justice program. Talk about the wrong place to talk smack about a cop. If it's right to kick frat boys off campus for saying they don't want blacks in their club (and I'm sure it is), I can't help but wonder: has Sam Houston already put an order in for the crane?

Foy's claim that the officer had "creepy perv eyes" struck me as typical of the flippant attitude to allegations of sexual impropriety held by so many female western students these days. The unkillable lie about "campus rape culture" continues to do the rounds - and is even taken up by presidents. This poisonous belief system, spread by campus radicals and encouraged by the establishment, encourages women to throw around accusations without thinking of the consequences. This is what led to the Rolling Stone debacle, if you recall.

I'm not sure how this outstanding warrant came to light. 2011 is a while ago, after all. But it's possible Foy turned herself in. Police often trick those with outstanding warrants to come in to claim a prize, and I understand in Texas they've recently taken to offering free pulled pork. I joke, but it might be wise for Monica Foy to go underground for a while to avoid trouble. Or should I say underwater. SeaWorld San Antonio, perhaps.
All of which leaves the looming question of why a woman like Foy was so enamoured with Black Lives Matter in the first place - her penchant for violence excepted, of course. Now, forgive me for being crude, but I happen to know there's quite the interracial chubby chaser scene in Texas, and black men are notorious for lusting after a well-rounded caucasian butt cheek. I speak from experience. Does she have a blackcent? Is this all a ruse to pick up dark-skinned men, now she's grown too gigantic to get a white date? Perhaps I'll write to her in prison. (For some tips, you understand.)

I understand of course that much of this is driven by what you guys call shilling, and that the timing is not coincidental. My report into Sarah Nyberg will be out in a few days, maybe less.

To the sane voices here and the rest of GamerGate, I remain your humble servant, fervent supporter, loyal ally and biggest fan,
Milo

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAc...bart_pulls_a_gawker_publically_shames/cus15mi

Internet mob justice misses the point, acts like a bunch of dipshits. (likely also fueled by the fact that it's a woman)

Girl on Twitter fights horrific callous remarks by making a horrific callous remark.

Nobody looks good in this string of events.

skybald

Internet mob takes it too far.

I don't consider this an issue that is a trait of the right or left.

I would hate to be in her position. Gotta keep those shit comments in your circle.

She had like 20 followers. It Was in her circle.

What the people were saying to her, anonymously, was of course worse than what she actually said in her name.

And no, there is no reason to run this campaign because she is not a public figure. Pretty stupid that this is the best Breitbart could come up with to shame the BLM movement.

Nothing that comes out of the right wings mouth in regards to BLM means anyhing. Even despite a media shit storm anyone who takes republicans seriously on issues of race . . . Well I don't wanna get banned.

Anyway, I see what she was trying to do but that methodology never works when you're dealing with hypocrits

Zoe

Because being witty is what gets you attention.

Peaceful Streets Project got a lot of hate for saying something similar, but I guess it didn't make waves outside of Austin. The guy in charge was vehemently defending this post, but it does look like it's made him stop saying "pig" instead of "cop" in all of his recent posts.

Cagey

Banned
Internet mob justice misses the point, acts like a bunch of dipshits. (likely also fueled by the fact that it's a woman)

Girl on Twitter fights horrific callous remarks by making a horrific callous remark.

Nobody looks good in this string of events.

Sure, but one party -- the mob -- is far, far, far, far, far worse.

Walpurgis

Banned
Thursday, for the first time since the tweet, Foy didn’t get a single death threat. But she said she woke up Friday to two new voice-mails again threatening her life. “I don’t think I’ll ever feel safe again,” Foy said, simply because a small percentage of the people who attacked her seem so unhinged. “To the majority of the public it’ll blow over. Labor Day weekend’s coming up, and I know people are going to party and forget. But there is a percentage of people that — I’m on their list. I’m on their eternal list, and they want my head on the chopping block.” It’s a numbers thing, in other words. “It just takes one bullet to kill me from one gun from one person, and that one person is out there. So no, I will never feel safe. Not for me, not for my family, not for anyone I know who has publicly supported me.”
That's a really scary thought.

most black deaths are caused by other blacks

I fucking love whataboutism when you're spending the majority of your time on a harassment campaign focused on feminists in video games.

I mean, really, if your goal was productive and not terrible in any sense, it might be the absolutely most pointless campaign in the world.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, writing down some names for the next "I can't believe people are sending mean tweets to people because of jokes, treating people with respect gone mad!" thread...

The right wing has constantly complained about mob justice for politically incorrect jokes, but they have sent 30 death threats over one and the right wing media outlets actively started this mob.

Put it on the list alongside obama using the n-word and Rick Scott banning government officials from using the terms "climate change" and "global warming".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom