• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The right wing's harassment campaign against a BLM supporter who made a bad cop joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to learn, unfortunately, that when you put anything on the internet can come back to you.

Regardless of intent.

It's not right, but it's how the internet works right now.

Until we pass some laws prohibiting threats online, be careful about what you say.

So you've been publicly shamed, harassment edition because it comes from the right wingers?

Never saw it mentioned as harassment before around here when people dogpiled on twitter users making tasteless jokes. And pretty much no one defended or tried to mitigate the actions of the perpetrator.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I get the point of her jokes, but it just came across as insensitive.

Breitbart is a piece of shit as always.

the douchelord milo yiannopoulos (patron saint of gamergate and breitbart writer) defended this and tried to rile up gamergaters to go against black lives matter when some of them dared to question this.

I'll post it here so you don't need to go into that cestpool, but be warned its pretty disgusting but it shows the midset beyond those that lead these campaigns

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAc...bart_pulls_a_gawker_publically_shames/cus15mi

Now KIA thinks it was a false flag and that it's all an "anti-GG" conspiracy. lol

So you've been publicly shamed, harassment edition because it comes from the right wingers?

Never saw it mentioned as harassment before around here when people dogpiled on twitter users making tasteless jokes. And pretty much no one defended or tried to mitigate the actions of the perpetrator.

Quite the selective memory you have there broheim.

...I published an article in my local newspaper complaining about the Cecil the Lion harassment campaign, mmkay.

tweet-justinesacco-22dec2013-1.jpg

I would say the majority of people who ripped Ms. Sacco's life apart were probably left leaning.

Maybe not all of them, but a lot.

Well, I don't want to hear right wingers talking about PC mob mentality stuff anymore.

What she said is stupid, and I'm sure this becoming public will get her in trouble, whatever. But siding with Milo? I don't care what part of the political spectrum you are, that's a moral event horizon.

Reset

What is the point you're trying to make with this? Actually asking seriously.

I think he's saying you don't make dumb jokes on the internet/twitter because someone will end up getting offended and the internet mob might come after you. It doesn't matter if you're right wing/left wing.

...I published an article in my local newspaper complaining about the Cecil the Lion harassment campaign, mmkay.

Oh don't get me wrong, I can't speak for things I haven't read, i'm talking from what I remember on the threads about mob justice on the internet. I'm not a computer. In fact i've been quite vocal against harassment in general, and was unpleasantly surprised to see many see a justification on the end goal of the harassment, just because it's aligned to their views of the world.

Of course just searching her name would already render results of how fat she is, classic mob justice just assassinating people's life. Job, self-esteem, nothing matters.

PBY

Banned
I think he's saying you don't make dumb jokes on the internet/twitter because someone will end up getting offended and the internet mob might come after you. It doesn't matter if you're right wing/left wing.

Sure? We knew that the "left" has come after people though, I thought that was the whole thing with this. Also there are degrees of "dumb" jokes, and I think its obvious that there's a MASSIVE gulf between that and what's present in the OP.

Internet mob justice. Her point is valid, but regardless this is gonna happen a lot. I know that the audience for this one was racists, but for each occasion there is an audience. The ones who went to far should be reported.

Cyan

Banned
I want to hear more about how the "creepy perv eyes" bit ties into the hilarious joke. It sure reads like half baked justification for a murder to me. But I'm not as funny as Monica Seinfeld, so these comedic nuances might be lost on the layperson.

Yes. That's the joke. She didn't pull it off well at all, but it's clearly meant to be a sarcastic jab at the endless stream of justifications and "he was no angel"s and so on whenever a black person is killed by a cop or a zimmerman.

tweet-justinesacco-22dec2013-1.jpg

I would say the majority of people who ripped Ms. Sacco's life apart were probably left leaning.

Maybe not all of them, but a lot.

Except that was a case of progressives finding Ms. Sacco's joke tasteless and overreacting. What we have in the OP is an organized effort to discredit a civil rights group through redirection and victim blaming. They are only comparable on the surface.

So, let's make sure she fears for her life every day! That'll set things straight!

I think it's important to note that everyone in every interest group can be fucked up. Because people are fucked up. And this shit isn't right coming from anyone, because it demonstratively goes too far.

Weird, I don't remember saying she deserved it.

Sure? We knew that the "left" has come after people though, I thought that was the whole thing with this. Also there are degrees of "dumb" jokes, and I think its obvious that there's a MASSIVE gulf between that and what's present in the OP.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear in my post.

I wasn't saying that Ms. Foy deserves what's happening to her because she's left wing, or anything of that regard. Or that there's equality in the two.

I'm saying that what you intend to say, and who you are, doesn't matter online.

Ms. Sacco latter said that her tweet was a joke as well.

I was more or less following up on my previous statement. Basically, regardless of intent, or who you are as a person, mob justice can fuck your life. And the mobs can be made up of anyone.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were people on neogaf who tweeted death threats before.

ThisGuy

She had like 20 followers. It Was in her circle.

What the people were saying to her, anonymously, was of course worse than what she actually said in her name.

And no, there is no reason to run this campaign because she is not a public figure. Pretty stupid that this is the best Breitbart could come up with to shame the BLM movement.

Is using Twitter keeping it with personal friends though? I don't use Twitter, but reading this, I think it doesn't.

It's wild to see a common person take the heat like this. Is there any idea as to how long this will be an issue for her? I imagine it to be for years considering her information has been made public.

Is using Twitter keeping it with personal friends though? I don't use Twitter, but reading this, I think it doesn't.

It's wild to see a common person take the heat like this. Is there any idea as to how long this will be an issue for her? I imagine it to be for years considering her information has been made public.

Your tweets are only seen by your followers on Twitter unless a follower "retweets" you (posts the message to their followers) or if people actively search for words in your tweet.

Yes. That's the joke. She didn't pull it off well at all, but it's clearly meant to be a sarcastic jab at the endless stream of justifications and "he was no angel"s and so on whenever a black person is killed by a cop or a zimmerman.

If her tweet had been done in quote marks it would be a lot easier to grasp. Or if people just stopped using that god awful piece of shit service twitter to try and express an idea or thought with any more subtlety than a flying brick, that'd work too.

Semi-off-topic: I read the Breitbart article on this lady linked earlier in the thread, and I may only be saying this because its only the 5th or 6th thing of their's I have read but: Are these people mentally ill? Half of the things I've read from Milo are either flat-out inaccurate or trollishly off-topic to the article at hand. I don't hate these guys, I want to get them checked into a clinic. Get some professional help.

diffusionx

Gold Member
What is the point you're trying to make with this? Actually asking seriously.

People on the internet like to destroy other peoples' lives. People of all stripes and even non-political ones do this (look at the thing about the Cecil killer).

I wish it weren't so. But it's a simple fact we live in a world where a person can say one off color joke to their dozen Twitter friends and within a few days they are reading articles about how they are the new Hitler.

Foy seems to be making a fairly bog standard joke about victim blaming, but of course that doesn't matter.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
She does hit the nail on the head, however ungracefully, that the biggest difference that calls for the idea of a BLM campaign (and goes against the notion that it can be dismissed "because all lives matter") is that when a black person dies it seems people go to great lengths to dig up anything they can find about them to try and justify it, even if there's no way the police officer who killed them would've known about that at the time.

In general, and I'm not a conspiracy person or anything, I do feel the media lately seems to be on an odd campaign to try and obscure the BLM issue by focusing more and more on police officers being in danger, or it seems every time there's a shooting of an unarmed individual by the police there's suddenly a spike in feel-good stories about police officers. Listen, I've never had an issue with the police myself---but as a fairly affluent white male, I don't think it's fair or justified for me to say that all the police treat everyone else with fairness---but I do think there's a seedy element to all of this that makes me very distrustful in the overall police culture.

I don't like to read about anyone dying, but I'm naturally more sympathetic towards a citizen gunned down by the police than the other way around, because police officers I feel go into the position knowing that such a danger is possible. They're not conscripted, they willingly sign up understanding that's a risk---and it feels to me that they have better survival odds than a citizen considering they're presumably trained more so than your average citizen in self-defense. The police dying isn't good news by any means, but police taking lives I think is a far more worrying issue and something everyone regardless of creed or color should be concerned about. It's even weirder when you consider a large majority of these conservatives who dismiss the BLM movement are likely the same folks who go on-and-on about Obama creating a police state and how the police being the only ones with guns would be a dictatorship and such. But of course, I've always felt the biggest conspiracy folks are whites who live a relatively safe and worry-free life and need to create a sense their own sense of victimization to feel like they're important to the world.

I've been thinking this awhile, and it may sound crass, but I'm surprised The Onion's never done a parody article where they do this with a (fictitious) white victim gunned down in a similar fashion and then give reasons why it was "deserved". I think they could probably pull of a very powerful, eye-opening satire that would illustrate the difference between "all lives!" and black lives.

Yeah, people shouldn't fly off the handle at jokes.

These people get a disproportionate amount of hate saying fucked up things compared to the people actually doing fucked up things.

It's fucking lazy. Go do something good instead of pointing a finger online from the comfort of your own home.

Nivash

Referencing an obscure meme that at face value comes off as saying a cop deserved to be killed, and putting your own name and face on it for the world to see and misinterpret? Yeah, that's an accident bordering on social suicide waiting to happen if I ever saw one. She really should have seen this coming. Obviously doesn't excuse the harassment but come on, people use pseudonyms on the internet for a reason.

Cyan

Banned
This. And it's especially fucked up when someone intentionally instigates it like that Breitbart guy.

Yes. And IIRC the same thing happened with a Gawker (?) guy in the Justine Sacco case. He called her out to all his followers and kickstarted the mob. He knew what was coming, he just didn't care.

She really should have seen this coming.

People always say stuff like this in these internet mob justice situations, but... really? How many people make dumb insensitive comments on twitter or facebook all day long, and how many of them wind up targeted by a mob? It takes a weird confluence of circumstances to really catch fire like this.

This is analogous to posting a cat video on youtube and having it go viral. You might be able to look back and reconstruct the chain of events that led to the virality, but that doesn't mean you could have or should have expected it. The odds are miniscule.

Hylian7

Couple of things.

1. Sam Houston State, the school she attends, is my alma mater.
2. I saw this when it blew up last week. She was arrested for an assault incident of punching a coworker in the face... 4 years ago. I think it's kind of fucked up that as soon as this blows up, she is targeted by the police over it. Even though the charge was a violent one, it took 4 years to arrest her, and she wasn't hiding or anything? Really?
3. I have seen plenty of disgusting comments about her, going from her weight, to even something I saw on the school paper's website to the effect of "Go back to your bucket of fried chicken"...I can't make this shit up.
4. Back when it happened, I thought she was serious with that Tweet, but looking at the situation now I get what she was going for. I really don't think any of this justifies the harassment campaign against her.
5. People are badgering the university to expel her or take some kind of action. The university President already said that won't happen.

All in all this situation is a mess, and once again illustrates the problems we still have today with racism in society and the issues with police.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Of course, it's fucking Breitbart. I doubt they know what satire is. But even if they did, they wouldn't care anyway, given their role during GamerGate. Absolutely disgusting.

If this is anything similar to that awful shitfest, this poor woman won't be left alone for a long time, if ever.

the douchelord milo yiannopoulos (patron saint of gamergate and breitbart writer) defended this and tried to rile up gamergaters to go against black lives matter when some of them dared to question this.

I'll post it here so you don't need to go into that cestpool, but be warned its pretty disgusting but it shows the midset beyond those that lead these campaigns

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAc...bart_pulls_a_gawker_publically_shames/cus15mi
Four paragraphs, that's all I lasted. Fuck this guy, seriously fuck him. Hasn't he done enough harm already?

skybald

Theoretically she could have had a private account but most people might not know about that feature or think that one tweet is going to be picked up by a major website. I don't even understand how the tweet was found considering her lack of fame. Why are they even talking about her?

A simple google search of her name will haunt her for the rest of her life. Might as well change her name.

It was a really stupid joke but why does it need to ruin her life? My life would certainly be ruined if my friends inside jokes were leaked

Wasn't really a joke and more of commentary on how when black people are killed there's always some reason they deserved it. She was simply applying the same bullshit to the cop who was killed.

Amazing how horrible one is and how acceptable the other is.

The victim blaming is hilarious though.

Maybe this is the wrong thread for asking about this sort of thing, but her fearing for her life made me curious...

Has anyone ever actually been killed or hurt after becoming infamous online, due to a tweet and getting mobbed? Anyone ever been attacked in the street by someone who was so offended over something like that?

I know people have had their lives destroyed due to losing their job, having loved ones getting nasty phone messages constantly, that sort of thing, which could be way worse. But I don't know if I've heard of actual violence ever taking place. Seems to me that the person would immediately become a symbol of how far things can go, and would be held up as an example all the time, might even be a breaking point for someone to take action. But I haven't heard of that happening before.

If her tweet had been done in quote marks it would be a lot easier to grasp. Or if people just stopped using that god awful piece of shit service twitter to try and express an idea or thought with any more subtlety than a flying brick, that'd work too.

Semi-off-topic: I read the Breitbart article on this lady linked earlier in the thread, and I may only be saying this because its only the 5th or 6th thing of their's I have read but: Are these people mentally ill? Half of the things I've read from Milo are either flat-out inaccurate or trollishly off-topic to the article at hand. I don't hate these guys, I want to get them checked into a clinic. Get some professional help.

Milo is fucking bonkers. He's basically been using GG/KiA for his own purposes since he figured out he could simply by agreeing with GG's estimation of those evil SJWs, despite the fact that he's said before that his opinion of "gamers" (read, the exact people in GG) is pretty fucking low.

Nivash

People always say stuff like this in these internet mob justice situations, but... really? How many people make dumb insensitive comments on twitter or facebook all day long, and how many of them wind up targeted by a mob? It takes a weird confluence of circumstances to really catch fire like this.

This is analogous to posting a cat video on youtube and having it go viral. You might be able to look back and reconstruct the chain of events that led to the virality, but that doesn't mean you could have or should have expected it. The odds are miniscule.

I don't really mean in a predict it leading to a shitstorm sense as much as a "this was a bad idea" kind of sense. She could have ended up pissing someone off that she'd rather prefer not to piss off even without the shitstorm or damaged future opportunities if someone Googled her. Self-filtering and common sense basically. Maybe it's just me, but every time I post something with my real name attached I do it with the assumption that it will be visible to the entire world for eternity and can be twisted in every way possible to work against me. I know most people don't self-censor to that extent (but I really think at least some people should self-censor a lot more)

FyreWulff

I fucking love whataboutism when you're spending the majority of your time on a harassment campaign focused on feminists in video games.

I mean, really, if your goal was productive and not terrible in any sense, it might be the absolutely most pointless campaign in the world.

Right Wingers also somehow always manage to omit the fact that the statistics that show that the majority of black deaths are from black murderers also shows that the majority of white deaths are from white murderers.. and the percentage is even higher for whites.

Theoretically she could have had a private account but most people might not know about that feature or think that one tweet is going to be picked up by a major website. I don't even understand how the tweet was found considering her lack of fame. Why are they even talking about her?

A simple google search of her name will haunt her for the rest of her life. Might as well change her name.

It was a really stupid joke but why does it need to ruin her life? My life would certainly be ruined if my friends inside jokes were leaked

I read that the Breitbart guy was looking up BLM hashtags and she had made a related tweet, and he saw this when looking at her twitter.

That poster's viewpoint lies at an interesting intersection. He's more interested in talking about the reactions he predicts gaffers will have than provide constructive insight into why this woman had a target painted on her back by a vindictive Brietbart contributor with an angle to discredit everything anybody in support of Black Lives Matter ever says. He's also perfectly willing to paint the entire incident as her own fault, as if to completely miss the entire point of the original Twitter post, which was a clumsy joke about victim blaming.

Maybe this is the wrong thread for asking about this sort of thing, but her fearing for her life made me curious...

Has anyone ever actually been killed or hurt after becoming infamous online, due to a tweet and getting mobbed? Anyone ever been attacked in the street by someone who was so offended over something like that?

I know people have had their lives destroyed due to losing their job, having loved ones getting nasty phone messages constantly, that sort of thing, which could be way worse. But I don't know if I've heard of actual violence ever taking place. Seems to me that the person would immediately become a symbol of how far things can go, and would be held up as an example all the time, might even be a breaking point for someone to take action. But I haven't heard of that happening before.

There was an abortion clinic doctor who was killed thanks to a harassment campaign a few years ago, but that was far more mainstream (and was driven by places like Fox News also) and the doctor had no social media presence and was killed due to his profession.

If this was a tea party member or a right wing nut they would have been dragged over got coals too.

Keep your campaign clean and think before you post shit. There's no way this "joke" can be anything but offensive and to out it in social media? Stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom