• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The right wing's harassment campaign against a BLM supporter who made a bad cop joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twitter outrage brigade knows no political ideology.

Pretty shitty to celebrate the death of a cop or imply that they deserved it. It's like the fuckwits that kept bringing up the fact that Trayvon Martin smoked weed. Like, wtf?

Keep your campaign clean and think before you post shit. There's no way this "joke" can be anything but offensive and to out it in social media? Stupidity.

She's just a random student who posted a #BLM hashtag after her crummy joke. She's not a spokesperson for anybody or anything. Her Twitter before Brietbart turned the Eye of Sauron on her was likely only ever followed by her friends.

Why is the lesson so many want to take away from this is 'don't post things on Twitter!'

BioHazard

Pretty shitty to celebrate the death of a cop or imply that they deserved it. It's like the fuckwits that kept bringing up the fact that Trayvon Martin smoked weed. Like, wtf?

That's definitely the point, she is using the same logic and character assassination the public uses during any of the many killings of unarmed black men. The "they must have done something to deserve it, so it's OK they're dead!" logic. It's supposed to highlight the disgusting-ness of it.

If this was a tea party member or a right wing nut they would have been dragged over got coals too.

Keep your campaign clean and think before you post shit. There's no way this "joke" can be anything but offensive and to out it in social media? Stupidity.

If a tea party member or right wing nut suggested made the same statement but about a black person who was wrongfully killed saying he/she deserved it it would have been favorited thousands of times and retweeted just as many with no mob justice.

Interfectum

But to Foy, it was an observation she was making privately — she had maybe 20 Twitter followers at the time, and about half of those were family. “I never would write anything like that on Facebook, which is why I have a Twitter account,” she said. “I wrote it there because I knew that no one would see it. That’s something that I knew that morning. There was no hashtag, I did not mention the deputy by name, I did not say Houston, I did not say anything specific at all.”

Seems like she needs to be educated on Twitter... or perhaps this event educated her. Twitter isn't a private forum. Doesn't matter if you have 10,000 or 0 followers. If you wouldn't say that dumb shit in public, then don't post it on Twitter either.

Hylian7

If this was a tea party member or a right wing nut they would have been dragged over got coals too.

Remember how there were tons of Tweets about how Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Eric Garner, or any other innocent black person that was murdered "had it coming", were a " thug", "were no saint", " deserved it ", and other things of that nature? Why do all those people get away with that yet this blows up that way?

I don't think "joke" is really the right word to use for the Tweet, maybe "statement" would be better. She is drawing a comparison to show people "See how ridiculous it is when the shoe is on the other foot?"

That's definitely the point, she is using the same logic and character assassination the public uses during any of the many killings of unarmed black men. The "they must have done something to deserve it, so it's OK they're dead!" logic. It's supposed to highlight the disgusting-ness of it.

Oh of course. I totally understand that. But I'm not shocked the "other side" goes outrage mode.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Serious question, do you both know what satire is?

Cyan

Banned
I don't really mean in a predict it leading to a shitstorm sense as much as a "this was a bad idea" kind of sense. She could have ended up pissing someone off that she'd rather prefer not to piss off even without the shitstorm or damaged future opportunities if someone Googled her. Self-filtering and common sense basically. Maybe it's just me, but every time I post something with my real name attached I do it with the assumption that it will be visible to the entire world for eternity and can be twisted in every way possible to work against me. I know most people don't self-censor to that extent (but I really think at least some people should self-censor a lot more)

Oh, I see. Yeah, that's different. If I posted something dumb like that, the possible negative reaction I'd anticipate would be more like some friends thinking I'm an asshole. And they could maybe talk to me about it and I could maybe explain in more detail, and possibly I'd think it was worth the risk to make a point.

As far as "visible to the entire world for all eternity," well that's the problem, isn't it. I know this post I'm making right now will technically be visible to the entire world, but I still don't expect that anyone but you and a few people following this thread will read it. The internet in general--and social media in particular--is full of such a vast quantity of noise that we generally don't expect our personal item of noise to go beyond a few people who are directly listening to us.

And then we say something awkward right when the noise dies down and everyone can hear us.

Maybe this is the wrong thread for asking about this sort of thing, but her fearing for her life made me curious...

Has anyone ever actually been killed or hurt after becoming infamous online, due to a tweet and getting mobbed? Anyone ever been attacked in the street by someone who was so offended over something like that?

I know people have had their lives destroyed due to losing their job, having loved ones getting nasty phone messages constantly, that sort of thing, which could be way worse. But I don't know if I've heard of actual violence ever taking place. Seems to me that the person would immediately become a symbol of how far things can go, and would be held up as an example all the time, might even be a breaking point for someone to take action. But I haven't heard of that happening before.

To my knowledge, the worst that's happened violence-wise is swatting. It's still probably terrifying to have someone call your private phone and tell you where you live and that they're on their way to murder you.

Wasn't really a joke and more of commentary on how when black people are killed there's always some reason they deserved it. She was simply applying the same bullshit to the cop who was killed.

Amazing how horrible one is and how acceptable the other is.

The victim blaming is hilarious though.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. There was zero wrong with what she said or how she said it.

I'm sorry that she got death threats and harassment. That sad, that was a really dumb thing to say even as a joke/political commentary. Posting on Twitter is the digital equivalent of going out on a street corner with a megaphone. Even if you only have 20 followers anyone can see what you're saying.

You act as if this is the first time people get outraged over satire. Stop it.

Dude your first post claimed she was actually celebrating a cop's death.

You completely misread her comment and then made the exact point she was making with it.

SO yeah the satire flew over your head

pants

Internet mobs are fucked up regardless of who is targeted and why, is there any real way of stopping it though?

Brakke

Banned
This reminds me of that lady and her friend who took a picture at Arlington (?) disobeying a sign and it blew up as some big respecting the troops thing. I think that pic was on Facebook so limited audience.

In both cases the originator did a thing that sort of sucked I guess but didn't matter because it went to an audience of like a couple dozen. Then some instigator steps in and blasts it out to some massive audience. If the instigator really cares about offense or respect or propriety or whatever, they wouldn't blast it out. They're the reason people saw the "ugly" thing. The mob's ire should accrue to the instigator, for its their fault entirely that the mob members were exposed to the distasteful "content".

Meanwhile, if the some total of someone's "hateful" output fits into 140 characters "broad"cast to a couple dozen people, then it's just embarrassing to get riled up about it. You don't have anything more important to spend your time caring about?

Internet mobs are fucked up regardless of who is targeted and why, is there any real way of stopping it though?

In my opinion, without some laws being changed, no.

The whole idea that people are supposed to talk online to people who send death/rape threats to calm them down is absurd.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for you or be proud of myself that I've managed to have such an effect on you that you feel the need to bring up a post from around a month ago.

I'll choose the former, pity is merited.

That poster's viewpoint lies at an interesting intersection. He's more interested in talking about the reactions he predicts gaffers will have than provide constructive insight into why this woman had a target painted on her back by a vindictive Brietbart contributor with an angle to discredit everything anybody in support of Black Lives Matter ever says. He's also perfectly willing to paint the entire incident as her own fault, as if to completely miss the entire point of the original Twitter post, which was a clumsy joke about victim blaming.

Not totally, although I will admit I can be lazy at times when posting as I really don't care enough about certain subjects to be locked into a 3 day debate with someone when we will never see eye to eye due to their sheer hypocrisy or bending of facts to suit their agenda.

BLM at its root cause, imo was/is fantastic. The cause was/is great. However when people use that to push their own violent/racist agendas then that's where I have issue.

As for me saying this is her fault, well, is it her Twitter account? Yes. Did she make the tweet? Yes. Therefore she is indeed accountable.

Jokes are great things, and I'm sure that's what she intended it to be, but let's not be hypocritical here. If a white person on Twitter made jokes about a black person being shot and killed there would be the same, albeit possibly different people involved, Internet witch hunt going on, pitchforks and all. It doesn't make it right though.

So TLDR, it was a poor joke which backfired where both parties are wrong, however people should really know better re Twitter.

Cyan

Banned
Ding ding ding we have a winner. There was zero wrong with what she said or how she said it.

When you try for clever satire, the failure mode is looking like an asshole. At best she teeters on the edge of that here. It's not clear at first glance that she's going for satire rather than just being a cruel person. The point is a solid one, but the execution is low effort and not very successful.

Note that this probably wasn't a problem for her ten followers or whatever, who know her personally and would know that she didn't mean this the way it sounds.

One good way would be if people with large internet megaphones didn't directly and intentionally fire up internet mobs with the intent of ruining people's lives:

04-foy-tweet.nocrop.w529.h339.png

When you try for clever satire, the failure mode is looking like an asshole. At best she teeters on the edge of that here. It's not clear at first glance that she's going for satire rather than just being a cruel person. The point is a solid one, but the execution is low effort and not very successful.

Note that this probably wasn't a problem for her ten followers or whatever, who know her personally and would know that she didn't mean this the way it sounds.

One good way would be if people with large internet megaphones didn't directly and intentionally fire up internet mobs with the intent of ruining people's lives:

04-foy-tweet.nocrop.w529.h339.png

Again disagree it was super obvious what she was doing. Like reading that never do I think she actually was celebrating his death. It was blatantly clear that she was applying the he's no angel standard to the cop to point out the vast difference between reactions for a dead cop and a dead unarmed black person.

Pervy eyes = grasping at some sort of ridiculous reasons to say it was his fault, which is exactly what happens like every single time some innocent black person is murdered by the police.

Also big difference cop killers go to jail, murderous cops get a paid vacation and sometimes a promotion.

we will never see eye to eye due to their sheer hypocrisy or bending of facts to suit their agenda.

Jokes are great things, and I'm sure that's what she intended it to be, but let's not be hypocritical here.

Who the hell is being hypocritical here? And don't you think there's a new wrinkle here than in previous cases where we have documented evidence that a Brietbart blogger intentionally made the woman a target? Is that her fault, too? The death threats? The calls to her mother's house, the dean of her school and more?

The 'both sides are wrong' glossing is pure false equivalence bullshit. One side here is clearly way, way, way, way more fucking wrong than the other

Mr. X

Wasn't celebratory at all, was satirical commentary. Too many hate minorities for this to go without internet mob justice.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Little to do with the right wing, and more to do with Internet mob justice
Everything to do with the right wing. It's Breitbard - pieces of shit are gonna do what comes naturally.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for you or be proud of myself that I've managed to have such an effect on you that you feel the need to bring up a post from around a month ago.
"don't judge me based on what I said!" come on son, you got got.

Interfectum

The key point here is she should emailed or texted this to her friends. When you post something on Twitter you are talking to everyone.

My general rule of thumb is before you tweet your "funny quip" think about going to a public place and saying your tweet over a megaphone. If you predict a bad reaction in that circumstance then don't Tweet it. Just be smart.

The key point here is she should emailed or texted this to her friends. When you post something on Twitter you are talking to everyone.

My general rule of thumb is before you tweet your "funny quip" think about going to a public place and saying your tweet over a megaphone. If you predict a bad reaction in that circumstance then don't Tweet it. Just be smart.

There's zero wrong with what she said though.

It's actually rather poignant.

And even the reaction is poignant. Even joking about what a cop might have done to warrant getting killed is seen as worse as honestly arguing that unarmed black people are responsible for their own murders by cops because of *insert some sort of grasping at straws transgression here* which usually just ends up with a lot of people nodding and saying well he was no angel.

Ivan 3414

Again disagree it was super obvious what she was doing. Like reading that never do I think she actually was celebrating his death. It was blatantly clear that she was applying the he's no angel standard to the cop to point out the vast difference between reactions for a dead cop and a dead unarmed black person.

Pervy eyes = grasping at some sort of ridiculous reasons to say it was his fault, which is exactly what happens like every single time some innocent black person is murdered by the police.

Also big difference cop killers go to jail, murderous cops get a paid vacation and sometimes a promotion.

Evidently not.

Cagey

Banned
Seems like she needs to be educated on Twitter... or perhaps this event educated her. Twitter isn't a private forum. Doesn't matter if you have 10,000 or 0 followers. If you wouldn't say that dumb shit in public, then don't post it on Twitter either.

This is a problem that is only going to get exponentially worse over time, as plenty of kids in their pre-teen or young teen years reach adulthood and haven't wiped clean their social media pages of some terribly stupid, violent, obnoxious, harrassing, insensitive, racist, sexist, and otherwise bigoted shit.

The Facebook feeds of some kids at my wife's old school were shocking, less for the content and much more that they were putting said content online, attached to their name, for the world to see at any point before it's removed (if it can be scrubbed clean entirely). There isn't an appreciation of what public truly means.

Infinite

Isn't this more about some asshole instigator who directed a hateful mob her way in an attempt to discredit BLM? Come on guys.

I think that's fundamentally the point. Justine's harassment was started by Gawker, and zero people batted an eye (at the time) because the harassers were predominantly left-wing. Ditto Troy and Walter's harassment, come to think of it.

Meanwhile, we already have articles (such as in the OP) condeming this bout of internet harassment because the harassers are predominantly right-wing. It smells of hypocrisy.

Of course, all have the common cause of Twitter's ability to message practically the entire userbase whatever you want, which enables the harassment in the first place. In short, fuck Twitter.

Why are people even bothering with adding a qualifier that what she said was dumb? Not every person on Twitter can be on the level of Onion, but how does this Internet mob against her be justified? Same sentiment of victim blaming happened to the woman who was on the plane and made a comment about Africa and HIV. She should have seen it coming. Shouldn't have said it, now see what happened. Learn to make better jokes. Git gud at satire.

Death threats and doxxing and threatening phone calls are on zero tolerance levels of unjustifiable. If some right winger or Donald Trump got them, it would still be awful.
As for me saying this is her fault, well, is it her Twitter account? Yes. Did she make the tweet? Yes. Therefore she is indeed accountable.

Jokes are great things, and I'm sure that's what she intended it to be, but let's not be hypocritical here. If a white person on Twitter made jokes about a black person being shot and killed there would be the same, albeit possibly different people involved, Internet witch hunt going on, pitchforks and all. It doesn't make it right though.

So TLDR, it was a poor joke which backfired where both parties are wrong, however people should really know better re Twitter.
Doesn't the blame of this harassment campaign from 40000 comments towards her, fall in the hands of Breitbart?

If some MSNBC or liberal website sicced their harassment campaign on some bad tweet, the blame would still fall on them for resorting to death threats, doxxing, and sending threatening phone calls.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
What the fuck is this trash?

People keep jumping on him, but really if that's how it was understood, what makes it any different than being a real insult?

I've heard plenty of times that, "It doesn't matter how you use the word, it matters how it makes someone feel". For instance the word "Thug". Even using it to describe a hardened, in jail 30 times, criminal. If they're black, describing them with that word is still racially charged. Even if that's not the intent.

Just as this comment may have been sarcasm, people may actually be mistaking this as a cold hearted, calloused, jab at the death of a cop. Which makes some people upset.

Now I'm not saying that every single person using this "opportunity" to attack this girl thinks this. I'm just presenting it from another viewpoint.

Kettch

The intent of satire here was very clear. "Creepy perv eyes". Come on. The only way that you don't read this as satire is if you know nothing about the issue of victims of police violence being blamed for their own deaths and having their lives combed through looking for the slightest mistakes they've made. And if someone doesn't know anything about that, then hopefully this is an opportunity for them to be educated.

The actual intent of her comment is that the cop didn't do anything to deserve it, just like many victims of police violence didn't do anything to deserve their deaths.

Slayven

You can tell how much BLM is getting done by everyone wanting to put their names in their mouths.

And alot with the tone of "Negros have it so good, why they mad?"

It was clearly satire and a very poignant message, surprised it went over so many peoples heads even on here. Was it in poor taste? Yes, but it was good message.

If you repeat hat speech word for word it at a the GOP convention, they would clap their hands bloody.

And the "What the hell is wrong with you "look on Olivia's face is gold.

Pretty sad my dude didn't get an award for that monologue, or at least a career out of it. Part of me watched that thinking "I wonder if this is just script for him or is this real talk..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom