• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ROG Ally seems to be a real handheld.

Yes, and Nintendo has nothing planned for the future either, I'm sure. And I do love the Switch; it's pretty great not being a persnickety graphics whore.

Same here

handshake GIF

ToTTenTranz

Banned

I disagree with ThePhawx's performance claims, notably his claim that 2x Deck performance isn't attainable at 35W.

The Van Gogh is a much smaller N7 SoC than N4 Phoenix, it's a +50% wider GPU with +50% higher clocks. The Zen4 CPU cores at lower clocks take a lot less power than Zen2 cores did, and we haven't even seen any RDNA3 GPU made on N4.
On top of all this, Phoenix on the Ally can use 2.33x more power than Van Gogh on the Deck.

You could get a 4070Ti (or 4070, 3080, etc), 7900xt (or 6000 series) add a dock and be at $1000 to $1200 vs $2000.
If you manage to connect this to a standard GPU dock, you can even use a much more inexpensive GPU like the ~250€ Intel Arc 750 and it will still get an enormous performance boost. And a couple of years down the line you can just switch that for another inexpensive GPU.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
There will be new handhelds released every year. This isn’t like the console market. AOKZOE sent out an email at the end of last month saying they were going to begin review/testing for a 780M(rdna3) A1 Pro soon and you could sign up to take part. The base A1, and many other 680M handhelds, sell at $800-1200. I think the most affordable so far is the preorder with discount code making the Ayn Loki Max $741.

I’m guessing the ROG Ally will run $800-1000.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
If this can play forza horizon 5 60fps at high settings than i probably gonna get one.

Goalus

I have to admit that I want one.

Being able to use Steam and Epic and MS Store and GOG is a huge plus compared to Steam Deck.

OK, I really want one now. I hope it's below $1000.

StereoVsn

I disagree with ThePhawx's performance claims, notably his claim that 2x Deck performance isn't attainable at 35W.

The Van Gogh is a much smaller N7 SoC than N4 Phoenix, it's a +50% wider GPU with +50% higher clocks. The Zen4 CPU cores at lower clocks take a lot less power than Zen2 cores did, and we haven't even seen any RDNA3 GPU made on N4.
On top of all this, Phoenix on the Ally can use 2.33x more power than Van Gogh on the Deck.

If you manage to connect this to a standard GPU dock, you can even use a much more inexpensive GPU like the ~250€ Intel Arc 750 and it will still get an enormous performance boost. And a couple of years down the line you can just switch that for another inexpensive GPU.

Yep, which is why $2K proprietary solution using a laptop GPU is just not a good idea.

For Phawx's video, I guess we shall see. He has a lot of first hand knowledge of upcoming chips I think and he has been on forefront of testing and optimizing these handheld devices.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
You can do all those things with Steam Deck if you install Windows. FYI

But there's still no official (and therefore easy and safe) way to dual-boot, which is TBH my main gripe with Valve among all this.
Valve claimed they would enable dual-boot on day one. It's been over a year since release...

Topher

Gold Member
But there's still no official (and therefore easy and safe) way to dual-boot, which is TBH my main gripe with Valve among all this.
Valve claimed they would enable dual-boot on day one. It's been over a year since release...

Yeah, using Windows on Steam Deck right now definitely isn't ideal. Wish Valve would figure it out.

Of the two, who do you trust more for customer service and warranty?

I trust both. Asus is a good company to buy hardware from in my experience. Currently typing on an Asus Z13 Flow

Goalus

Install heroic game launcher, u have gog and epic installed in one go.

iqDnnN7.png
Most of my games are in the MS Store, but thanks.

I should have added that I want Windows and see no reason to settle for a gimped substitute if I can have the real thing.

If the ROG Ally is what the leaks suggest, it's exactly what I didn't know that I wanted all this time.

Last edited:

.hacked

I like my steam deck but I would love to play destiny 2 on the shitter.

balls in your court ASUS

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Fingers crossed

Nothing but the most dedicated enthusiasts want to buy a $1,000+ device for gaming on the go. If the ROG Ally comes out close to Steam Deck's $400 price tag (or lower), then it's going to be a huge success. Even at $600 or the rumored $699 price, it's definitely going to put pressure on those other companies making $1,000 units with similar specs.

Working in technology for the past 30 years, I've seen this play out time and time again. Company A makes niche (but expensive) product develops a dedicated following. Company B releases similar (but not as powerful) product that is much cheaper, which gets wider mainstream appeal. Finally, company C swoops in and offers a balance between the two and sells gangbusters - usually putting Company A out of business, or at least relegated to now be extremely niche (or continue to sell support contracts to existing buyers who can't migrate away, etc.)

Evolve or die.

Topher

Gold Member
For me, the key for Asus Ally is the software. Windows is not optimized for handheld out of the box. Asus are using Armour Crate to implement the handheld features and that could be a good thing.....could be bad. AC has come around over the years to be a decent piece of software, but now they are taking it in a different direction and hopefully they can implement a stable interface. If they can and they offer a superior product then I can certainly see myself moving from Steam Deck to Ally so I can leverage Game Pass.

VAVA Mk2

Terrible name. To be honest, I am not a fan of the branding of Asus gaming stuff in general (their hardware is good, though).

Reallink

All the beta Protons and Linux "sudo" side loading nonsense required to use Steamdeck for anything outside of very specific Steam titles is going to prove to be Steamdeck's achilles heel. A powerful and competitive priced Windows handheld will absolutely run circles around Valve's hacky ass nonsense in terms of wider adoption.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
All the beta Protons and Linux "sudo" side loading nonsense required to use Steamdeck for anything outside of very specific Steam titles is going to prove to be Steamdeck's achilles heel. A powerful and competitive priced Windows handheld will absolutely run circles around Valve's hacky ass nonsense in terms of wider adoption.
Not sure what you're on about with "very specific Steam titles". I've played dozens (maybe over 100?) different games on my Steam Deck, and not had any issues with any of them. There are a bunch of games in my library that are listed as "untested" or "unsupported" - and the overwhelming majority of those I've tried have actually worked just fine. As an end user, I had to play around with the default filters to get it to even show me those - which is great, because it means that Valve is trying to gate keep the device to a degree, but not to such a degree that it's impossible to try things out on my own.

I wouldn't call it "hacky ass nonsense" by any stretch. There are literally over 8,000 titles available today that Valve has certified to run without issue on the Steam Deck. To the end user you simply log into the device, download the game you want, and start playing it. I'd say the user experience is at least on par (if not better) than other handhelds like the Switch.

Goalus

Not sure what you're on about with "very specific Steam titles". I've played dozens (maybe over 100?) different games on my Steam Deck, and not had any issues with any of them. There are a bunch of games in my library that are listed as "untested" or "unsupported" - and the overwhelming majority of those I've tried have actually worked just fine. As an end user, I had to play around with the default filters to get it to even show me those - which is great, because it means that Valve is trying to gate keep the device to a degree, but not to such a degree that it's impossible to try things out on my own.

I wouldn't call it "hacky ass nonsense" by any stretch. There are literally over 8,000 titles available today that Valve has certified to run without issue on the Steam Deck. To the end user you simply log into the device, download the game you want, and start playing it. I'd say the user experience is at least on par (if not better) than other handhelds like the Switch.
It's still a gimped OS.
ROG Ally thankfully has the real thing.

Top Bottom