• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ROG Ally seems to be a real handheld.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
All the beta Protons and Linux "sudo" side loading nonsense required to use Steamdeck for anything outside of very specific Steam titles is going to prove to be Steamdeck's achilles heel. A powerful and competitive priced Windows handheld will absolutely run circles around Valve's hacky ass nonsense in terms of wider adoption.
You seem triggered by the Deck.

P.S.- Windows has been running on Deck for almost a year now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's still a gimped OS.
ROG Ally thankfully has the real thing.
Sure, I'll agree on that. However, "the real thing" comes with a couple of caveats that will be glaring on a limited form factor like this is. How many background services, if any, will Microsoft let ASUS disable to increase performance (hint: probably none). That means you'll have CPU and memory in this thing that's dedicated to sending Microsoft metrics and usage information, running worthless apps you'll never use, patching .NET in the background, etc. A standard Windows 11 operating system install takes about 20-25GB of space (vs the Deck's 8-10GB of OS utilization).

Not saying any of these things are dealbreakers, and with the specs they're advertising I'm not sure most people won't notice or care. I'm personally glad there are options. For me, my ideal handheld would be something like the ROG Ally running the SteamOS / Steam Deck software. And, maybe that'll be possible too!

Reallink

You seem triggered by the Deck.

P.S.- Windows has been running on Deck for almost a year now.
Yeah I am, cause I've owned one since launch and can't play like 3/4ths of my PC games on it cause they either won't run, or require an hour long Proton tutorial video to hack on third party stores that don't even display right and require per title path edits to maybe get them to run for 5 minutes before crashing. That's in addition to having to map your own controls. It's an absolutely terrible experience. Have you ever actually looked at any of the Steamdeck megathreads or Reddits to see all the troubleshooting and nonsense people have to install to fix the Linux bullshit? It's comically ridiculous. So yeah to repeat myself, a powerful, affordable, and streamlined Windows portable will shit all over Steamdeck from a great height. You know full well Desktop Windows on a Steamdeck is an even worse experience than Linux and everyone knows you're full of shit for trying to present that as an alternative.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Yeah I am, cause I've owned one since launch and can't play like 3/4ths of my PC games on it cause they either won't run, or require an hour long Proton tutorial video to hack on third party stores that don't even display right and require per title path edits to maybe get them to run for 5 minutes before crashing. That's in addition to having to map your own controls. It's an absolutely terrible experience. Have you ever actually looked at any of the Steamdeck megathreads or Reddits to see all the troubleshooting and nonsense people have to install to fix the Linux bullshit? It's comically ridiculous. So yeah to repeat myself, a powerful, affordable, and streamlined Windows portable will shit all over Steamdeck from a great height. You know full well Desktop Windows on a Steamdeck is an even worse experience than Linux and everyone knows you're full of shit for trying to present that as an alternative.
Your experience is hardly universal. I've played dozens of games on my deck and had a grand total of one issue on it. The only time I had to actually deal with the underlying Linux OS was when I had to set up emulation.

Obviously my experience is far closer to what most users feel considering the extremely popular sentiment towards the deck over all forms of social media.

Is it perfect? No. But it's a damn better experience then any windows alternative.

TrebleShot

Really interested in this device, I was originally interested in the Logitech G Cloud but unfortunately not available in the Uk.

The issue with the Steam Deck which is a real shame is the aspect ratio, I use it alot for game streaming *remote play and Moonlight, and its jarring to have black bars at the bottom and top of the screen even some native games crop with bars which can also be very annoying.

On top of that the 120hz screen will be incredible with Moonlight and PC streaming.
I am hoping the rumoured PS5 streaming console will be 120hz and you can install third party apps like Moonlight, but almost guaranteed you wont be able to.

Barlow

7-1280.7a6ea6c7.png

Ozriel

M$FT
I'll be impressed if Asus can match Steam's 512GB price. Would love to see some side by side videos of this thing. It definitely looks smaller due to the lack of touchpads.

Wish they’d used some of the extra space to add more battery

It's still a gimped OS.
ROG Ally thankfully has the real thing.

Not really gimped, though. It’s just as full featured as Windows.
Though Windows obvious advantage is in stress free compatibility and ease of use with all other stores.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
What’s unique about the Ally is that it’s going to be sold in stores(?). Other than that, it just another Windows handheld just like all the other Windows handheld. The Deck can run Windows, but SteamOS makes it the exception to the rule not the standard. It’s weird that people call the Deck out for not coming with Windows by default. The whole purpose of the Deck is to pry PC gaming away from Windows. All the other handhelds are Windows based. There’s so many Windows handhelds that are more powerful than Deck…GPD Win Max 2, GPD Win 4, OneXPlayer, Aya Neo Geek, Aya Neo 2, AOKZOE A1, and Ayn Loki Pro. Upcoming handheld with the same Ally chipset…AOKZOE A1 Pro and GPD Win Mini.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

This may be a really stupid question and not sure if this is a thing on the deck, but can you also stream games from your steam library installed on your home PC if playing at home on your home network?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
New GeekBench leak via VideoCardz

This leak is showing the lower-end Ally with 6-core/12-threads CPU, and a 4CU GPU. VideoCardz mentions, “That said, the Ryzen Z1 would have 3 times fewer GPU cores, which should have a noticeable impact on performance. However, there is a chance that the listing shows incorrect information, although it may seem unlikely.”

TrebleShot

Id be straight in for the lower spec model as long as the screen etc keeps specs.
Does anyone know of an OLED device that could do the same thing?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Very fascinating. I'm also interested in Microsoft continuing to maybe make a custom version for this new type of hardware which seems to have taken off since the steam deck came out. Imagine if they could get the bloat down and overhead down for that type of hardware.

Topher

Gold Member
What’s unique about the Ally is that it’s going to be sold in stores(?). Other than that, it just another Windows handheld just like all the other Windows handheld. The Deck can run Windows, but SteamOS makes it the exception to the rule not the standard. It’s weird that people call the Deck out for not coming with Windows by default. The whole purpose of the Deck is to pry PC gaming away from Windows. All the other handhelds are Windows based. There’s so many Windows handhelds that are more powerful than Deck…GPD Win Max 2, GPD Win 4, OneXPlayer, Aya Neo Geek, Aya Neo 2, AOKZOE A1, and Ayn Loki Pro. Upcoming handheld with the same Ally chipset…AOKZOE A1 Pro and GPD Win Mini.

The main thing that could separate the Ally from those other Windows handhelds is price. The other thing it has is the ability to connect to a eGPU through Asus' proprietary interface which reduces the overhead from thunderbolt and/or USB 4. Also, Asus is using Armour Crate as the UI layer between the handheld controls and Windows. I haven't tried any of the other Windows handhelds, but out of the box you are not able to navigate Windows with a controller so I'm guessing/assuming those handhelds depend on the touchscreen which would be horrid, imo.

As I said earlier, Valve really needs get release their Steam OS distribution for other handheld manufacturer's. As it is, Windows is the only choice for companies like Asus.

This may be a really stupid question and not sure if this is a thing on the deck, but can you also stream games from your steam library installed on your home PC if playing at home on your home network?

That's feature of the Steam client so yes, it should work fine.

Last edited:
Linux is a terrible OS.

one of the main jobs of a modern OS is being user friendly, and Linux instantly fails that even before installing it due to the fragmentation and no guaranteed intercompatibility between distros.
I think your main argument point of the job of an OS is being user friendly is questionable.

I’d also argue Windows isn’t really user friendly, it’s just a pain in the ass.

Saturday Night Live Snl GIF

Look, I think Linux, under Proton, is pretty damn easy to use. To each their own, but I'd rather not use windows.
Linux, as an OS, and depending on whatever distro you choose and what you want to do, is a great OS.

Last edited:
I really dig the textured grips on this thing. I can't understand why Valve didn't do that on the Steam Deck. When you use the latest Xbox One and PS5 controllers, and you feel those microtextured grips, it feels amazing. The Deck feels a bit too slippery in the hand because of the lack of it.

So Asus released this trailer yesterday, and people obviously thought is was a April fools joke, but you can go to the official Bestbuy website and sign up for updates.

This might not be a big deal for those who already own a Steam Deck, but the Steam Deck haven't been released worldwide, like here in Norway, and probably never will (Steam Link and Steam Controller wasn't).

Edit:

It will apparently deliver double the performance of the Steam Deck.

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Y4TGvvN.jpg

How in the fuck did we go from VR to shitty ass handheld devices? That is crazy.

you mean how did we go from shitty VR in a closed space where you cannot even play pc games (PSVR2) to an open handheld device that plays any launcher and any game ?
Television Expert, what does PSVR have to do with the PC?

I’m not playing PC games on some small ass screen with bright fucking rainbow lights shooting out of the analog sticks.

TVexperto

Television Expert, what does PSVR have to do with the PC?

I’m not playing PC games on some small ass screen with bright fucking rainbow lights shooting out of the analog sticks.
That's just not true, bro. As a fellow PC gamer, I can tell you that we have the freedom to play on any device we choose. Whether it's a massive 77-inch TV or an ultrawide gaming monitor, the choice is all ours. So don't let anyone force you to play on a small handheld device. Take control of your gaming experience and choose the setup that suits you best.

That's what being a PC gamer is all about - freedom and choice, baby!

Last edited:

X-Wing

That's just not true, bro. As a fellow PC gamer, I can tell you that we have the freedom to play on any device we choose. Whether it's a massive 77-inch TV or an ultrawide gaming monitor, the choice is all ours. So don't let anyone force you to play on a small handheld device. Take control of your gaming experience and choose the setup that suits you best.

That's what being a PC gamer is all about - freedom and choice, baby!
This is really cringe, all of it.

Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics

As for the ROG Ally itself, I'm in if I can slap Linux on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom