• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill 2 Remake trailer did not impress the head of Bloober Team. "It doesn't reflect the spirit of the game”

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Is the stuff they showed in the trailer actually in the game? If yes than this is just the marketing teams best guess at how to spin the bad press.

skit_data

michael cohen GIF

Muffdraul

I would take a good solid OG SH2 remaster, properly done this time, over Blooper's remake in a heartbeat. But I know that would never happen in a million years. If we were to get OG SH2 on current gen, it would be the same shitty weaksauce from the PS3 remasters. Same as the shitty MGS collection we just got.

Fuck you, Konami.

EDIT: "This is mainly why it would not happen, even shitty versions:"

Because Konami sucks and doesn't know how to preserve their own legacy and they should go get fucked.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s bloober team gaffers.

Don’t expect miracles just because their next game has Silent Hill and Konami attached to it.

Their games are typically A or AA games (and AA is even a stretch) who get about 70/100 on MC. They don’t make outright terrible games, but they aren’t exactly GOTY games either with big budgets to boot.

Keep expectations low. That trailer gives a good idea at what kind of games they make at said quality.

Last edited:
Can't tell if this is just damage control on their part, or if they are indeed being sincere...

I'm not doubting Konami fucked them over though. At all.

I just think this Remake was a fail on concept already.
Remaking Silent Hill 2.
I said here multiple times, remake of a masterpiece that is SH2, was totally unnecessary...

Like i said, will be like that;

jesus_restored_capa_widelg.jpg

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I would take a good solid OG SH2 remaster, properly done this time, over Blooper's remake in a heartbeat. But I know that would never happen in a million years. If we were to get OG SH2 on current gen, it would be the same shitty weaksauce from the PS3 remasters. Same as the shitty MGS collection we just got.

Fuck you, Konami.
This is mainly why it would not happen, even shitty versions.

Because the original source code for Silent Hill 2 and 3 had not been preserved, the development team at Hijinks Studio had to work with the incomplete code provided by video game publisher Konami, which was not the code from the published games.

So you would just get the shitty MGS emulation upscaling.

Solidus_T

The trailer made it look like an outright action game, the original game definitely was not an action game. It doesn't show the actual vibe/tone the game is or should be aiming for.
Yeah, and it more than likely will be paced like the original. The vertical slices in the trailer made it seem like an all out action packed Resident Evil remake.
It doesn't represent the actual flow of the game or its other gameplay elements.

I guess a (poor) comparison could be if Nintendo released a Zelda trailer where half of the trailer was just Link using his bow and arrows to dispatch enemies. It's not an accurate representation of the game as a whole...then again it was labeled the "combat" trailer.
Yeah good points. The trailer, complete with QTE action, made this game look like it was trying to compete with Resident Evil 4 Remake. That is what was off putting to me as well. Also I know they won't come back, but I wish they still did static camera angles.

leizzra

Well, not only Konami cut the trailer, they even were responsible for sound mix and that’s why guns don’t sound right. Bloober is supposed to make their own trailer in the future.

I think it’s a Konami thing. The same will be with MGS3 and other remakes.

Yea I'm sure the nurse vaulting like in Gears of War and smashing buttons to get out of grabs were the trailer's fault and totally misrepresent the "real spirit".

Every time they comment on their own games it's either excuses or some barely cohesive PR speak nonsense.

xrnzaaas

Then why not release a longer, uninterrupted gameplay from the remake? Allow the players to analyze it and make comparisons with the original. Your move, Bloober.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Yeah good points. The trailer, complete with QTE action, made this game look like it was trying to compete with Resident Evil 4 Remake. That is what was off putting to me as well. Also I know they won't come back, but I wish they still did static camera angles.
You know, that would be cool if they had a "classic" mode that included static angles and alternative controls.

That would actually be awesome...

Last edited:

Skifi28

I don't expect that Konami or Blooper Team understands the spirit of the game....or Tomm Hulett.
I don't expect those playing the game to understand the spirit of the game. Hell, I don't expect anybody posting in this thread to understand the spirit of the game, including myself.

Ansphn

Konami just simply sucks. Add Bloober = recipe for mediocrity. Bloober is better off getting off of horror and instead doing a different type of game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You know, that would be cool if they had a "classic" mode that included static angles and alternative controls.

That would actually be awesome...

So you want to retroactively turn Silent Hill into a Resident Evil clone?

/facepalm.

The actual true way to implement a "classic" mode would be to have a secret first-person option like the original SH had.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I do remember someone saying Bloober said it wasn't going to be at State of Play.
And Konami obviously had other ideas as they was promoting The Short Message and cut together a trailer with what they had footage of.
I don't think the collaboration with Konami has been as smooth as Bloober would like.
That could be a good or bad thing.

deeptech

I recommend you doubt what a CEO or whatever he is, says about it and keep your expectations in check. This team has no proof of competence in my view to be able to deliver a "perfect" SH2 game in 2024. But still, I may be wrong, maybe. They still god damn have enemies in that trailer that look like they imported an enemy script from RE4 or something.

Gambit2483

So you want to retroactively turn Silent Hill into a Resident Evil clone?

/facepalm.

The actual true way to implement a "classic" mode would be to have a secret first-person option like the original SH had.
Lol I'm pretty sure the original SH had some areas that had fixed angles, particularly when you were in the "other world". In any event I'd still welcome an extra mode that payed homage to the original games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lol I'm pretty sure the original SH had some areas that had fixed angles, particularly when you were in the "other world". In any event I'd still welcome an extra mode that payed homage to the original games.

Not really. The original SH used preset spline-path cameras, some of them with custom "dolly" movements. Brilliant stuff, that I honestly cannot think of any other game employing so well.

The best examples being the pre-pathed tilting crane shot in the intro as Harry rounds the corner which Cristophe Gans' pretty faithfully replicated in the movie, and (my favourite) the reverse-angle momentum based push-shot as he goes down the stairs in the dark version of the hospital. This last one is really special in that although the camera basically just faces the player and runs on rail down the stairway, its pushed (with inertia and momentum) as the player moves towards it. The effect being that you can "bump it" and it runs away downhill so you can just see his torch faraway in the darkness!

Who else does that? Crazy cool stuff.

In action scenes they only used fixed angles to prevent the camera from intersecting with the scene geometry (its why all the interiors have freakishly high ceilings), and they sometimes flip its start position from front to rear in tight spaces as the normal "slerping" motion (the way the camera orbits the player) won't fit well.

Bottom line, you're not entirely wrong, but what they are actually doing is constraining the normal third-person camera in certain spaces, as opposed to games that use authored-in fixed perspective backgrounds.

Honestly though, if you can handle the (intentional) wobble of the first-person view, its actually pretty cool even with all the vertex and texture warping it introduces.

Gojiira

Really Bloober? So why does it look so bad then? And if you didnt like the trailer why the fuck didnt you protest its release properly?

Gambit2483

Not really. The original SH used preset spline-path cameras, some of them with custom "dolly" movements. Brilliant stuff, that I honestly cannot think of any other game employing so well.

The best examples being the pre-pathed tilting crane shot in the intro as Harry rounds the corner which Cristophe Gans' pretty faithfully replicated in the movie, and (my favourite) the reverse-angle momentum based push-shot as he goes down the stairs in the dark version of the hospital. This last one is really special in that although the camera basically just faces the player and runs on rail down the stairway, its pushed (with inertia and momentum) as the player moves towards it. The effect being that you can "bump it" and it runs away downhill so you can just see his torch faraway in the darkness!

Who else does that? Crazy cool stuff.

In action scenes they only used fixed angles to prevent the camera from intersecting with the scene geometry (its why all the interiors have freakishly high ceilings), and they sometimes flip its start position from front to rear in tight spaces as the normal "slerping" motion (the way the camera orbits the player) won't fit well.
Ahh yes, now I remember! You're absolutely right, and it was fairly new and very atmospheric at the time. You didn't really see camera work like that in most (if any) videogames at the time. Now that you mention it, Silent Hill's use of its camera was probably one of the reasons it was so unique and memorable.

I just hope this Remake doesn't basically become Silent Hill 2: RE4 Edition.

Last edited:

Killer8

He's right. Konami made the boneheaded decision to make a combat trailer for a series in which the combat is the weakest part. If the second trailer was more like the first, but with some additional exploration gameplay and a little bit of combat, it would've been received much better. Something like this is a better balance:

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Bad look for Bloober (awful name for a studio) as well as Konami. Honestly regardless of Konamis silence of the game Team Bloober has come off extremely unprofessional. Just shut up and release the game if you have nothing good to say about the company you're working for. I don't think I've seen this level of finger pointing prerelease before.

With that said, the game is going to be a carpet bombing of dog shit streamed across the proverbial lawn.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Cancel this shitshow and all other "new" Silent Hill games.
Cancel them all.
They are all an embarrassment.

Its a proven fact at this point that only the original Team Silent has any business making SH games - and they are long gone, never to return.

Last edited:

Beechos

Eh... I'm going to give konami the benefit of the doubt on this one. Having played some of bloobers past efforts I have no confidence in this game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel like Bloober looked more at RE2 Remake rather than actual Silent Hill 2 for this remake.

I like RE games but I don’t want SH to be RE, they are two different survival horror games.

Last edited:

Killer8

Fuck you, Konami.

EDIT: "This is mainly why it would not happen, even shitty versions:"

The rumor is that a new HD collection is coming from HexaDrive, who do phenomenal work on remasters and developed Silent Hill: The Short Message.

The MGS Master Collection was also nowhere near shitty. I get the feeling people actually just want it to be a Silent Hill PS3 collection for schadenfreude reasons. Master Collection is broadly equivalent to the HD Collection work Bluepoint did on PS3, and in fact goes a step further by fixing some of the bugs they introduced.

Not meeting expectations is not the same thing as being an unmitigated disaster.

Muffdraul

The rumor is that a new HD collection is coming from HexaDrive, who do phenomenal work on remasters and developed Silent Hill: The Short Message.

The MGS Master Collection was also nowhere near shitty. I get the feeling people actually just want it to be a Silent Hill PS3 collection for schadenfreude reasons. Master Collection is broadly equivalent to the HD Collection work Bluepoint did on PS3, and in fact goes a step further by fixing some of the bugs they introduced.

Not meeting expectations is not the same thing as being an unmitigated disaster.
My bad, big kudos to Konami for giving us a new MGS collection on current gen consoles using specs from two gens ago. (y)

Why doesn't Konami just sell the rights to all their cool shit to Sony......but nooooo they are reentering the console games market themselves :messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:
Bad look for Bloober (awful name for a studio) as well as Konami. Honestly regardless of Konamis silence of the game Team Bloober has come off extremely unprofessional. Just shut up and release the game if you have nothing good to say about the company you're working for. I don't think I've seen this level of finger pointing prerelease before.

With that said, the game is going to be a carpet bombing of dog shit streamed across the proverbial lawn.
Boggles my fucking mind why they think this makes them look any better. Petty fingerpointing does not make the actual product look any more enticing. If anything, handle it internally and demand a new trailer be cut or SOMETHING. This just looks bitchy and weak.

Top Bottom