• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

McNum

So the cheapest edition is called "limited edition". Is that a troll?
There is a standard version, too. But for The Sims 3, all of the later expansions were "Limited Edition" by default if you bought them early. Some of them still are, I think.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
There is a standard version, too. But for The Sims 3, all of the later expansions were "Limited Edition" by default if you bought them early. Some of them still are, I think.
I don't see it at any retailer. It has the same dlc as the supposed standard too.

Maybe it's for box collectors and the standard comes out later?

McNum

I don't see it at any retailer. It has the same dlc as the supposed standard too.

Maybe it's for box collectors and the standard comes out later?
The Limited Edition for Sims games is usually a Day 1 edition. It replaces the standard at standard's price until it runs out.

The Collector's Edition is a special box with a USB plumbob light that changes color depending on the mood of your Sim as well as some DLC. The Premium version is the same as the Collector's Edition, but no lamp.

Classic NPC Sims - There is no babysitter, burglar, police officers, repairmen, repo men, bartenders, aliens, or firefighters. Think about that last one for a second.
Ghosts - In Sims 4, the dead stay down. You will not be haunted by the departed Sims.

For some reason, I never spotted these in lists I've read. Lacking any events that may create interesting and fun gameplay, it sounds like The Sims 4 is a simulator of living in purgatory.

No police or firemen? what..

i must admit, the whole build-mode looks perfect. if you're a fan of building then i guess this is perfect.

DedValve

Banned
No police or firemen? what..

i must admit, the whole build-mode looks perfect. if you're a fan of building then i guess this is perfect.

Create a style really kills that aspect as well though. Man create a style was easily one of the coolest features of TS3 along with open world.

it's a shame too because TS4 absolutely nailed the artstyle. Sims 3 is ugly as sin and TS2 looks more visually appealing than it and TS4 looks fantastic. If only this had create a style and open world. Sadly these two things can't even be added into an expansion I believe.

McNum

Yeah, the way the game is set up, you can't edit textures on the fly, it seems. So, no Create-a-Style. And the lot to lot travel is set up with loading screens, and I doubt that will change. I mean, the game doesn't even have usable cars or bikes.

There is one neat aspect of the lost open world, though. World to world travel. In Sims 3 that was... difficult at best. And in Sims 2, it would outright kill your savefile if you moved a Sim from one world to another. In Sims 4, any lot, no matter the world, is one loading screen away. And that is pretty sweet with expansion packs and such in mind. Add new features? Make a new 25 lot world with the new lots. And boom, it's instantly accessible without needing to find yet another 5-6 lots to overwrite in your carefully planned neighborhood.

Modular world design is one of the things I had hoped Sims 4 would have. It actually does, but they went way overboard. I wanted Sims 3 level openness within each module. Or Sims 2 level, at least, with the ability to add lots anywhere.

So yeah, one step forward, but two steps back, basically.

Stoffinator

I'm still stuck if i should get this or not. From what I've seen it looks like fun. But the problem is, everything I have seen is always so scripted. Now seeing the list of removed features its like the game is only good for building and creating a Sim. The rest just seems rather dull.

Ithil

Unfortunately the two main flaws of Sims 3 can't really be addressed, which are the not-so-good art style, and the poor performance/massive HD size after all expansions are in.

Otherwise with all expansions it's a massive Sims game and really all you'd need seeing as the Sims 4 is not looking to be any kind of progress.

McNum

The lack of ghost is reasonable but no damn firemen :/. So there's no such thing as fires in the sims 4?
There is fire. It's in the 20 minute gameplay video. When Kim Jung-Un's cupcake machine catches fire, causing him to wet his pants and two other Sims side of laughter at the scene, collapsing in his puddle of pee.

I am not making that up. That is a thing that happens in the official gameplay walkthrough. And it is very scripted.

RP912

Banned
There is fire. It's in the 20 minute gameplay video. When Kim Jung-Un's cupcake machine catches fire, causing him to wet his pants and two other Sims side of laughter at the scene, collapsing in his puddle of pee.

I am not making that up. That is a thing that happens in the official gameplay walkthrough. And it is very scripted.

o_0 wut....

smh atleast the build mode and create a sim is actually interesting. That's all I can say for the game...

Stuart444

I honestly wonder how many casual folks who buy the Sims (the type that doesn't look for news including what is not in the game but will buy the Sims day 1; will be outraged and raging over social networks about this. (as in stuff we've known for a while). And How many will not care or even realize about the missing stuff (even the most obvious ones)

Though I will admit, I had not kept too up to date on this after the no pools stuff was revealed and am shocked at the no basic NPC Sims like firefighter, police, etc. Stuff that is expected by people who buy the game. It has actually shocked me... and I didn't think anything about this game would after the No Pools stuff came out

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So why are the recommended specs to use 64bit Windows when the game is using a 32bit exe file?

Then you'd just be limited to the 4GB limit from the application itself, and not the entire OS, so even if TS4 took up that much space in your working memory you'd still be able to multitask smoothly.

Indiedevs

Banned
Stupid question, but my girlfriend loves this game, but she plays it on Xbox 360, and will probably hate keyboard and mouse. Any solutions?

1cmanny1

The Sims on a computer is ALOT easier to control than it was on the console version.

I will not be getting this game. My sister wanted it, but I refuse to buy it. I will buy her a cheap empty suitcase instead, I am sure she will find more in that than in this game.

Indiedevs

Banned
The Sims on a computer is ALOT easier to control than it was on the console version.

I will not be getting this game. My sister wanted it, but I refuse to buy it. I will buy her a cheap empty suitcase instead, I am sure she will find more in that than in this game.

That might be true, but my girlfriend will probably not accept a mouse when she have played it so long with a controller.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
That might be true, but my girlfriend will probably not accept a mouse when she have played it so long with a controller.
It's not like it's a fast paced game.

If she has used a mouse on PC before for general use she'll be fine.

Unless your dating a GILF?

Maddrical

Has anyone from EA even tried to justify that MASSIVE list of missing features? How can you just take away a bunch of features from a sequel without explaining why? The lack of an open world blows my mind, I thought it was great in The Sims 3 and the main selling point between 2 and 3. What exactly is the main selling point between 3 and 4? There seems to be pretty much zero reason to buy it.

boltz

Great OT, I have been casually following the game here on gaf, but the OT gives the full lowdown on how EA as neutered the game. I'm interested in seeing how well-received this game will be from the casual fans of the series.

Draxyle

Neo Member
The lack of the open world aspect and story progression is a serious dealbreaker for me. Those were the two best features of the Sims 3; the only reason you would get rid of them is if something catastrophic happened in development.

There's a silly amount of red flags all over this product, and I'm pretty bummed about that.

ttech10

Has anyone from EA even tried to justify that MASSIVE list of missing features? How can you just take away a bunch of features from a sequel without explaining why? The lack of an open world blows my mind, I thought it was great in The Sims 3 and the main selling point between 2 and 3. What exactly is the main selling point between 3 and 4? There seems to be pretty much zero reason to buy it.

I believe their justification has been that they want the base game to be the best it can be. That and walk styles.

I'm sure they expect Sims fans to simply accept they've lost most things they enjoyed in previous base games and will gladly spend $500 on EPs and Store content to slowly get it back.

So have we figured out what happens if there is a fire now that there are no firefighters? If my Sim catches the stove on fire, is everything just fucked or is there some alternative?

They have actually. Problem is, well, it's pretty bullshit reasoning. I'm paraphrasing here from memory, forgive me:

"We're trying bold things with the Sims 4," well, yeah, you're a sequel. I'd hope so. "We're building a new complex base game and therefore have had to prioritize certain areas of development," which makes sense, believe me, but that's on you to delay your game, not cut features until you're shippable.

And that's the thing! They've ostensibly said, "Don't worry, we can add pools later!" But unless that shit is in a free patch, it doesn't count for shit. Nickel and diming us these missing features through numerous and expensive paid expansions is exactly what has people so riled up in the first place.

At the end of the day, this has just been poorly directed game. Even if the original vision of the title was identical to what eventually releases, it would still be a compromise of what the Sims deserves to be.

One step forward, two steps back, as some have said.

I clicked the thread just thinking I'd do a quick five-second scan of the OP but ended up reading the entire thing. Great job, perfectly organized. The omissions section is nuts. This is all because it's a new engine, I presume? Kinda like how the first sports games for next-gen consoles tend to have missing features that were prevalent in the previous versions, because of a new or overhauled engine. If it's the same engine as Sims 3, what the heck happened.

E: Looks like it is a "new base game" based on the quote in the post above me, but to have so many missing features and NPCs is still crazy. They're charging 60 bucks for this too.

Stuart444

I clicked the thread just thinking I'd do a quick five-second scan of the OP but ended up reading the entire thing. Great job, perfectly organized. The omissions section is nuts. This is all because it's a new engine, I presume? Kinda like how the first sports games for next-gen consoles tend to have missing features that were prevalent in the previous versions, because of a new or overhauled engine. If it's the same engine as Sims 3, what the heck happened.

E: Looks like it is a "new base game" based on the quote in the post above me, but to have so many missing features and NPCs is still crazy. They're charging 60 bucks for this too.

The thing is, no matter what, they can't justify having fires in the game without firemen. Not to mention the other basic NPCs, ones that you would come to expect.

It's insane. Pools was bad enough but I could probably get past it however the rest of the missing features including basic career paths that have been in most games and basic NPCs is just like... "What?"

New engine or not, it's impossible to justify some of this stuff.

This is all because it's a new engine, I presume? Kinda like how the first sports games for next-gen consoles tend to have missing features that were prevalent in the previous versions, because of a new or overhauled engine. If it's the same engine as Sims 3, what the heck happened.

The Sims 4 was originally an online game, and after the SimCity 2013 debacle they had to quickly gut the project and graft together a singleplayer game from the remains. Hence... everything.

Remmy2112

This is just my thought and in no way justifies it, but perhaps it is not open world anymore precisely because it is still a 32-bit client thus has memory limits, which Sims 3 would crash into with its expansion bloat. Of course this reason gets back to the retarded decision to target the game at 32-bit clients rather than 64 because they want the widest possible field of buyers even if it hurts the game technically.

Lucifon

There's a well-sourced link about this in the OP.

At this point in time, it's really the only thing that makes sense.

I'm still not sure it really explains much. Why would there be no pools if the game was meant to be online. Also what's with the complete lack of online features other than the sharing gallery. I seriously want a Sims game to have proper online features, but that doesn't mean removing the singleplayer. Why not have it ask you if you want to create an online enabled town when you first start, why can't I visit my friends housing creations etc?

I'm still not sure it really explains much. Why would there be no pools if the game was meant to be online. Also what's with the complete lack of online features other than the sharing gallery. I seriously want a Sims game to have proper online features, but that doesn't mean removing the singleplayer. Why not have it ask you if you want to create an online enabled town when you first start, why can't I visit my friends housing creations etc?

Well, in the end...because it's a poorly designed game. :/

McNum

Thanks! I wanted to do it right, even if the game looks bad. So seeing that you read it all despite just wanting to skim it is awesome.

The crazy thing is that the engine The Sims 4 runs on is custom built FOR The Sims 4. And yet... it feels lacking. Like they forgot that the original The Sims at its most basic core, was an architecural simulation that got people added to it. The engine has to handle both architect gameplay and people gameplay, and it looks like both of those are actually lacking.
No NPCs...I didn't know that. Well this doesn't look at all like the Sims 4 I wanted it to be.
I wonder if The Sims 4 is sequel anyone wanted to see, to be honest. I mean, EA has to play it up how awesome they say it is, but I wonder... It just reeks of compromises all over.

This is interesting. They probably scrapped the online only portion since SimCity bombed.
That's what the rumor mill is saying, yes. I kind of want to see what the online Sims 4 would have been. I mean, I'd not want to play an online only The Sims game, but I wonder if it had a sharper focus than this one does.

Burbank_

That's what the rumor mill is saying, yes. I kind of want to see what the online Sims 4 would have been. I mean, I'd not want to play an online only The Sims game, but I wonder if it had a sharper focus than this one does.

There was one and it sucked. IIRC the original gameplay resembled third world sweatshops , and it was subscription based.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I haven't actively played Sims since the first game, but did start mucking about Sims 3 recently because of a friend and I really really like designing houses and messing around with that stuff. Though I hate how shitty Sims 3 runs and is limited.

The look and controls look awesome for Sims 4 in regards to Create A Sim and the new house controls and features, but at the same time the fact that so much shit has been gutted and just the less than acceptable practices EA has done recently, especially with Sim City, makes me not want to support them. But I really don't like the interface and clunkiness of Sims 3 and 4 looks leagues better in that respect. Damn you EA, why can't you just not be douches and then I wouldn't be uncertain about buying your games.

Sayers

Because, allegedly, they basically had to start over

Top Bottom