• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 is significantly more fun than Forza 7.

The last Gran Turismo game that I put any meaningful time into was GT3 on the PlayStation 2. It was at the time the best console sim and that was the case for a long time, but it didn’t take Forza long to produce a better product IMO and therefore Forza was the series I played from FM3 on up to FM7.

FM7 I thought was a major misstep for the series. It felt soulless and generic despite checking all the feature boxes you’d want from a marquee console sim. It was pretty, played well, and had lots of cars and tracks — but the career mode and Drivatar AI was abysmal. The career mode offered little in the way of linear progression. It’s all over the place, and after a few hours they are throwing very fast cars at you and you’re competing in higher tier races. There was no foundation building, no reason to keep going and it just wasn’t very fun.

I thought this was because I was burned out of racing sims. I took a break and got into Forza Horizon 4 and 5 which are both 10/10 amazing games, so much fun and I figured maybe my tastes changed to this more casual style of racing.

Nonsense. Two dozen hours into GT7 and I’m reminded of what a good console sim should be. A career mode that takes its time, offering you a taste of lower powered cars with different engine and drive layouts, while introducing you to a litany of tracks from across the world while also paying proper homage to automobile and racing history. A career mode that takes its time, brining you along at a right proper pace. I prefer this more curated style of career mode, and I truly home Forza 8 is aiming for that.

Forza 7 is just a racing game. Gran Turismo 7 is a love letter to the automobile.

Oh No Marvel GIF by Disney+

zombie running GIF

Last edited:
I don’t think they should to be compared, they have completely different identities.
They both occupy the same genre and appeal to the same crowd. If you own only a PlayStation or Xbox and want a console sim it’s extremely likely you’re going to choose either Forza or GT depending on your console.

This isn’t a knock on Forza, it’s just pretty clear to me they fucked up the career mode for anyone that really cares about it. And it’s why Turn 10 has been repeating over and over that career mode is seeing a major revamp.

This is why I didn’t focus on visuals or sound and stuff like that. The core of what GT7 is, irrespective of its release date, is better in design choice and execution.
I'd hope in 5+ years those areas in FM would be improved. I don't really see the point of this comparison especially when a new FM is dropping this year. Now if FM7 is better than FM8 that will be something to talk about.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I thought the Forza games on Xbox One were really bad in terms of career mode and progression, and a major step back from the Xbox 360 games which were very good. We'll see what happens with the new one, I guess.

Thirty7ven

Banned
They both occupy the same genre and appeal to the same crowd. If you own only a PlayStation or Xbox and want a console sim it’s extremely likely you’re going to choose either Forza or GT depending on your console.

This isn’t a knock on Forza, it’s just pretty clear to me they fucked up the career mode for anyone that really cares about it. And it’s why Turn 10 has been repeating over and over that career mode is seeing a major revamp.

I think it’s more likely you will choose it based on what your friends play, cross play between Xbox and PC will be important here, and or based on what kind of tone and identity you associated automotive sport with.

GT7 and Forza are both racing sims sure, but they have drastically different tones. Just different identities, and I expect they will appeal essentially to different types of people. You can see it in the latest Forza dev diary presentation I mean, just games being born out of completely different cultures.

I don't really see the point of this comparison especially when a new FM is dropping this year. Now if FM7 is better than FM8 that will be something to talk about.
The guy literally said he enjoyed GT7 more than Forza SEVEN. He never said Forza series is shit or that he hates the franchise. He is voicing his opinion about the 2 latest entries. What he is not allowed to have that opinion because FM8 is coming out? Will that change his opinion on FM7?

Last edited:

Lasha

GT7 is as soulless as it comes wrt offline play. You do a series of races where you always bring a better car to beat cheating AI to satisfy a series of stock photos who aren't even voiced. There's no real progression as a driver since every race blends into the last. Throw in the grind for credits and it's pretty gross.

GT7's online is where it's at because you can play in custom lobbies or in the excellent sport mode. The fortnightly time trials, daily races, and championships are a dream. Safety rating makes for good racing regardless of skill level. Neither mode is an innovation specific to GT7. VR mode is sick. It's also a niche comparison point since serious racers aren't going to be satisfied with simcade games like GT or Forza just because it has good graphics.

The guy literally said he enjoyed GT7 more than Forza SEVEN. He never said Forza series is shit or that he hates the franchise. He is voicing his opinion about the 2 latest entries. What he is not allowed to have that opinion because FM8 is coming out? Will that change his opinion on FM7?
The guy you're quoting also didn't accuse the OP of saying Forza is shit.

It's all opinions, and many of us think it's unfair to compare games 5 years apart.

fallingdove

GT7 is amazing. I never realized how good motion control could be in a game like this one. It’s the next best thing to owning a steering wheel. Excited to see what they’ll be able to offer with GT8 and a next gen only engine.

I am sure the new Forza will be beautiful but they’ll never be able to utilize motion control.

The guy you're quoting also didn't accuse the OP of saying Forza is shit.

It's all opinions, and many of us think it's unfair to compare games 5 years apart.

"Unfair" lol. Its unfair if you were the developer of Forza or a MS executive. Anyone else you are just a gamer and gamers have the right to compare whatever they want.

AGAIN, even if Forza 8 becomes the second coming of sim racing, this is his opinion on FM7. You people need to read, not even between the lines, just read the simple post and stop making everything into "but but but this game is not out yet".

If he said, FM8 is probably going to be boring and soulless like FM7 than id get it, its speculation. As you said its opinions so not sure why so many of you are triggered by his opinion and only argument you have is that the newest entry hasn't come out yet.

"Unfair" lol. Its unfair if you were the developer of Forza or a MS executive. Anyone else you are just a gamer and gamers have the right to compare whatever they want.

AGAIN, even if Forza 8 becomes the second coming of sim racing, this is his opinion on FM7. You people need to read, not even between the lines, just read the simple post and stop making everything into "but but but this game is not out yet".

If he said, FM8 is probably going to be boring and soulless like FM7 than id get it, its speculation. As you said its opinions so not sure why so many of you are triggered by his opinion and only argument you have is that the newest entry hasn't come out yet.

Again, non of us insulted OP or said his opinion was wrong.. what are you going on about?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I agree. GT7 beat out Forza Horizon 3 as my favorite racer of all time

Forza Horizon 4 made me realize I no longer want to play Forza Horizon games

Edit: For some reason I thought the title just said Forza. The last Forza Motorsport I played was Forza 6

Last edited:

Lasha

"New game in genre is more advanced than 5-6 year old game in the same genre" is a silly comparison. That's what is being said and nothing more. Nobody is triggered.

DaGwaphics

Having never played GT7, I feel the reverse must be true. </thread> :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Though seriously OP, maybe let Turn 10 release their current-gen version for something more apples to apples.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
While gt7 is the better game, I think it's going a bit far to act like gt7 is somehow holy vs a 5 year old game that's pretty good in its own right. The disparity is there but its not the ginormous gulf that is implied.

Unknown?

While gt7 is the better game, I think it's going a bit far to act like gt7 is somehow holy vs a 5 year old game that's pretty good in its own right. The disparity is there but its not the ginormous gulf that is implied.
He wasn't saying it's holy, just that he prefers it. Age doesn't mean much for racing career modes anyway because GT4 still has a better career than any of them.

Fox Mulder

GT 7 has plenty of issues, but Forza 7 had more tracks and cars and was still pretty stale and soulless. There’s a reason why they felt like they had to reboot the series with a long development time and new engine for the next one coming sometime.

Forza was even doing esports before GT Sport, but PD came harder with a better product and snatched that shit.

Last edited:
GT 7 has plenty of issues, but Forza 7 had more tracks and cars and was still pretty stale and soulless. There’s a reason why they felt like they had to reboot the series with a long development time and new engine for the next one coming sometime.

Forza was even doing esports before GT Sport, but PD came harder with a better product.
I’m excited for FM8. The track days and career mode excite me.

Fun is subjective, but GT7 has VR that is pure magic. A level of immersion and being there that's incomparable. A true next gen jump and the wow moment that one didn't experience in years. Nothing can come close. A tight race can leave you exausted, tired, with hands shaking from the adrenaline. It's a new milestone in the racing gaming.

This is why I didn’t focus on visuals or sound and stuff like that. The core of what GT7 is, irrespective of its release date, is better in design choice and execution.

Like how they executed the chase cam? You know, the one that half of players use? LOLOLOLOL. Wanted to like this game so hard but I'm not going to play cockpit view 100% of the time (it basically puts you at a competitive disadvantage unless you've memorized the courses perfectly, and even then...) UNLESS I have a wheel. It's too much of an investment to make it playable.

Unknown?

Like how they executed the chase cam? You know, the one that half of players use? LOLOLOLOL. Wanted to like this game so hard but I'm not going to play cockpit view 100% of the time (it basically puts you at a competitive disadvantage unless you've memorized the courses perfectly, and even then...) UNLESS I have a wheel. It's too much of an investment to make it playable.
Chase can can be customized so it's more like GT3.

Top Bottom