• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

eLGee

Mr. Sam said:
Blu-ray could be region free, I'm not sure.

I am sure, and it's not region free, sadly. I'm also pretty sure we who are living in good ol' EU will get a single disc edition in a standard blu-ray-case. Fuck my life.

Edit: Huh, seems like we will be getting the 2-disc treatment after all, according to amazon.co.uk. Alas, no stylish case.

Zyzyxxz

Also you gotta consider, not everyone has perfect friendship even with their best friends.

Sometimes you just bounce into each other and start hanging out alot other times it just clicks. I think Mark just didn't know how to show his appreciation, if any, for Eduardo.

Eduardo seemed to know Mark's behavior very well before they started facebook and was in fact use to it. To say that because they had an abnormal friendship wouldn't necessarily mean the movie's depiction of the degradation of their friendship was unrealistic. I think it could be an accurate depiction at how friendship can form out of strange relationships but its still up to each person to acknowledge the other to continue it.

I think the film was really great in showing the irony it was for someone to lose his friends while he was building the best site for finding friends.

jaxword

Inferno313 said:
Guys, this movie doesn't even try to be the total truth. Immediately after the hacking scene, Zuckerberg says that the bar scene never happened that way.

What scene was this? I don't recall a scene where Zucker says that. Got the DVD here, but can't find it...

Puddles

Banned
My brother's A Capella group (Bruin Harmony at UCLA) appeared in the film as Harvard A Capella or something like that. He's even listed in the credits. It was pretty cool to see that.

Replicant said:
I think that's the point. It's a one-sided friendship where Eduardo was the one who made effort at being Mark's friend whereas Mark just took it for granted. Mark did like Eduardo but he seemed incapable of expressing that fondness for his friend and repeatedly failed at doing simple things that friends do like giving acknowledgment or just being happy when said friend excels in something.
One-sided friendships make me feel even less towards the people involved when they fall apart. This is what I'm getting at.

usea

WrikaWrek said:
Saw this movie twice now.

I don't understand, it's really well done, but the movie is overrated to shit.
I picked it up because everybody was saying it was awesome. It was so fucking boring. Nothing happened. Huge waste of money. I was so disappointed.

R2D4

Banned
usea said:
I picked it up because everybody was saying it was awesome. It was so fucking boring. Nothing happened. Huge waste of money. I was so disappointed.

It's a movie about people suing other people for a website idea. What were you expecting?

Blader

usea said:

So was your disc just a black screen for 2 hours?

jaxword said:
What scene was this? I don't recall a scene where Zucker says that. Got the DVD here, but can't find it...

Right when you're in the Eduardo deposition for the first time. When Zuckerberg says "I guess that would be the first time someone's lied under-oath" he's referring to Erica's Deposition.

Puddles said:
My brother's A Capella group (Bruin Harmony at UCLA) appeared in the film as Harvard A Capella or something like that. He's even listed in the credits. It was pretty cool to see that.

"Right, because Cole Porter and Irving Berlin never wrote any love songs."

Iceman

a drunken college revenge prank on a girl becomes the world's most pervasive, profitable and visited website on the planet... in two hours. The main character does this with the single minded intensity (and social ineptitude) of Howard Hughes and destroys the only true* friendship he's actually enjoyed his whole life. Its kinetic, laced with tension and has its lighter moments.

*In the context of this fictionalized account.

Allowing the point of view of the movie to switch over to Eduardo Saverin also injected a man vs machine kind of contrast, that, too me, was mesmerizing. One actually emoted, while the other - certainly processing emotions throughout the entirety of the story - responded as coldly as a robot.

I don't think the movie explained all of the human condition by any means, but it did focus on a narrow, but relevant, wedge of the bigger pie and explored it as well as I have seen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just got this on Blu-ray. I thought it was entertaining but the 97% RT score is completely surprising to me. A lot of the movie could and probably should have been cut. The Winklevoss subplot never goes anywhere, and was such a big distraction from the real/best part of the movie, Eduardo and Mark's relationship, I can't really give it an unwavering recommendation.

Besides that, I appreciate that a movie was made about Facebook, even if some or most of it was fictionalized. I think it's good that this generation has its own Pirates of Silicon Valley, but personally, I think Pirates was much better. Not only was it much more accurate, but the film squarely focused on its two key players (Gates and Jobs), like this movie should have. The best moment in this film was when Eduardo slams Mark's laptop onto the floor, and that's because it's the scene that most channels Pirates. Pirates didn't have as good production values as The Social Network, but other than that aspect, I'd recommend it over The Social Network on most occasions.

Not only that I was kinda let down by the music. I'd heard In the Hall of the Mountain King on YouTube and it's great, but the rest of the soundtrack was... good, but not great. In my opinion, Tron Legacy's soundtrack slaughters it handily.

My two cents. I liked it overall, but think it could have been a lot better.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
SumPog said:
The soundtrack is as good as the movie.

This. The soundtrack allowed me to continue thinking about the themes and mood of the movie in the following weeks and even months. Hand Covers Bruise still gets to me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK even with all I said I can't stop rewatching this movie. Something about the story, characters, cinematography, music, and plotting is addictive. I've already watched both commentary tracks and will have my fourth rewatch later today (my second watch without commentary.) I'm glad to have this movie in my small but growing Blu-ray library.

I'm also reading the screenplay which was posted on the official site. Despite my misgivings I can't get enough of this movie.

AVclub

WrikaWrek said:
Saw this movie twice now.

I don't understand, it's really well done, but the movie is overrated to shit.
This was my impression as well. I finally got around to seeing this because of all the hype. Now that I have, though the topic was interesting, I'm left wondering what the big deal was.

Of course, I will admit that my mind was a bit blown when my wife pointed out that the twins were played by a single actor. I wasn't looking for it in the film and the special effects were apparently seamless enough for me to not even suspect.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I hate the line "you're not intellectuality capable of doing what we're doing in my dorm" or something similar in the movie and am sick of seeing it on previews.

1-You got the idea largely from myspace
2- there are a ton of computer science professors and students in a 1 mile radius

I'm not criticizing the movie as a whole or their accomplishment, but tons of people could have created facebook. It doesn't take unique talent.

I could tell a 1st grader he isn't intellectuality capable of doing calculus. Big woop, he could learn to do it and a lot of people can.

edited

/end rant

jaxword

The screenplay is an interesting read. It makes Mark's motivations a lot less sympathetic. Little details like liking the same girl Sean does, for example, really show how calculating Mark can be.

The movie deliberately adds little moments that make Mark a bit more benevolent towards Eduardo, like his embarrassed awkward line about "needing him" in California.

Blader

DeathNote said:
I hate the line "you're not intellectuality capable of doing what we're doing in my dorm" or something similar in the movie and am sick of seeing it on previews.

2- there are a ton of computer science professors and students in a 1 mile radius

I'm not criticizing the movie as a whole or their accomplishment, but tons of people could have created facebook. It doesn't take unique talent.

I could tell a 1st grader he isn't intellectuality capable of doing calculus. Big woop, he could learn to do it and a lot of people can.

edited

/end rant

I was going to tell you you're making a mountain out of a molehill, but there are tons of bits of dialogue in this film that drove me crazy too. :lol

Like "I row crew" and all variations thereof. Nobody says it like that! grr.

Andrex said:
OK even with all I said I can't stop rewatching this movie. Something about the story, characters, cinematography, music, and plotting is addictive. I've already watched both commentary tracks and will have my fourth rewatch later today (my second watch without commentary.) I'm glad to have this movie in my small but growing Blu-ray library.

I'm also reading the screenplay which was posted on the official site. Despite my misgivings I can't get enough of this movie.

i've seriously watched this movie 10 times since the home release. i never do this

97oci.jpg

unce unce unce unce unce

Speevy

Banned
R2D4 said:
It's a movie about people suing other people for a website idea. What were you expecting?

After reflecting on the film, the most I could figure is that the rich guys got screwed by the richest guy, and wound up rich anyway.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
blame space said:
i've seriously watched this movie 10 times since the home release. i never do this

Same here! It's very weird how much this movie has grabbed me even though objectively, I don't think it lived up to the hype. It's just a great watch.

I saw it last night with my family at a late-run theater and I don't really know what to say. I don't want to talk about over-rated but there was just nothing to draw me into this movie. It wasn't bad at all, but it was completely bell-curve average, and I think that may be worse than a bad film. A horrible film would have been more interesting to watch and just tear apart. There wasn't anything specific about Facebook itself, or the ideas presented in the main discussions in the movie, or the characters themselves that carried the interest.
It was fine, but I doubt I'll watch it again.t

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm into my fourth viewing right now and it's all starting to come together.

At the beginning, Mark says to Erica that Eduardo would never get into a final club even though he made $300k one summer. Getting into a final club is all Mark cares about, Erica says he has final club OCD.

Then Eduardo gets into the pledge period for a final club, the Phoenix. Mark says it probably was "equal opportunity" or a race thing.

Eduardo gets into the second round of pledges. Mark says "don't sweat it if you don't get any further."

Eduardo has to carry a chicken around as the final part of his pledge period. I'm pretty sure I can assume that Mark did indeed plant the animal cruelty story, especially as he takes such pleasure from reading the article.

He also screws over the Winklevii because they're in Porcellian and they don't let him past the bicycle room.

It's all coming together.

Speevy

Banned
Andrex said:

At the beginning, Mark says to Erica that Eduardo would never get into a final club even though he made $300k one summer. Getting into a final club is all Mark cares about, Erica says he has final club OCD.

Then Eduardo gets into the pledge period for a final club, the Phoenix. Mark says it probably was "equal opportunity" or a race thing.

Eduardo gets into the second round of pledges. Mark says "don't sweat it if you don't get any further."

Eduardo has to carry a chicken around as the final part of his pledge period. I'm pretty sure I can assume that Mark did indeed plant the animal cruelty story, especially as he takes such pleasure from reading the article.

He also screws over the Winklevii because they're in Porcellian and they don't let him past the bicycle room.

This is earth-shattering stuff.

R2D4

Banned
Andrex said:

It took 4 viewings? Eduardo flat out asks him if he was getting shut out of the company because he was in the Phoenix Club and Mark wasn't.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
R2D4 said:
It took 4 viewings? Eduardo flat out asks him if he was getting shut out of the company because he was in the Phoenix Club and Mark wasn't.

Yes but I took that as hurt paranoia. I never thought it was a deep or legitimate claim. I mean if you watch the scene out of context it does seem a little ridiculous to accuse these things.

Maybe it's because the first time through I didn't have subtitles on until the last half hour. Nothing against the film, but the combination of fast talking and background noise can cause you to miss some things. Like I sure didn't get that Mark was talking about Eduardo in the first scene. Nor did I really connect all the final club stuff to anything Eduardo was doing later in the film.

Also realize two of the viewings had commentary tracks running which didn't exactly alleviate the problem. This is my first "pure" re-watch.

R2D4

Banned
Andrex said:
Yes but I took that as hurt paranoia. I never thought it was a deep or legitimate claim. I mean if you watch the scene out of context it does seem a little ridiculous to accuse these things.

Maybe it's because the first time through I didn't have subtitles on until the last half hour. Nothing against the film, but the combination of fast talking and background noise can cause you to miss some things. Like I sure didn't get that Mark was talking about Eduardo in the first scene.

Oh I see. Yeah you really have to pay attention to the dialog. I'm surprised I got what I did considering my wife wouldn't hush up during the whole thing.

jaxword

Andrex said:
Maybe it's because the first time through I didn't have subtitles on until the last half hour. Nothing against the film, but the combination of fast talking and background noise can cause you to miss some things. Like I sure didn't get that Mark was talking about Eduardo in the first scene. Nor did I really connect all the final club stuff to anything Eduardo was doing later in the film.

There's another subtle factor to all that, however, that changes it slightly.

Mark hates the clubs, and hates how they won't let him in. So he makes his own. That's pretty much the driving factor for a lot of his actions.

Then his best friend is going into one, which makes him bitter, jealous, envious, etc. Mark is a petty person.

However, Eduardo is still his friend. There's a key scene I missed until I listened extremely carefully--when Eduardo comes in from the rain and they are arguing, Eduardo is going on about how he's working hard in New York, and Mark goes, quietly and quickly:

"Facebook is here...You gotta move out here...I want, I-I need YOU here, Eduardo. Please don't tell him I said that."

(Him being Sean.)

Mark wants to look cool in front of Sean, with his new exclusive club. And he wants Eduardo to be a part of facebook--instead of those other clubs.

But...Mark, being so socially inept, didn't know how or when to tell him, and Eduardo doesn't even hear Mark's needy plea in the argument and it starts falling apart from there.

So yes, Mark WAS bitter about Eduardo getting into the clubs, but, in a way, Mark felt betrayed that Eduardo would consider those instead of his.

jaxword

Another subtle detail is that Mark DOES regret screwing over Eduardo. Note in the two legal cases--Mark is bored and visibly yawning in the cases with the Winklevii, but in the case with Eduardo, he's upright and paying attention.

Also, after Sean humiliates Eduardo at the end, Mark gets angry at him, which likely contributed to Sean going down from idol to asshole. It's the first time we see Mark disagree with Sean. Earlier, Sean could visibly cheat on his girlfriend in front of Mark and Mark didn't care. He could get Mark to dress in pajamas just to flip off Sean's former partners.

But after he was "rough" on Eduardo, a moment later, Sean also starts talking about how he's sleeping with an intern. It's hinted Mark likes the intern too, which is another reason for Mark to get petty revenge. Mark's face goes into a calculating state at this point, leading to Sean's arrest.

Mark put Facebook > Eduardo, and only at that end part did he realize this wasn't the best choice.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jaxword said:
There's another subtle factor to all that, however, that changes it slightly.

Mark hates the clubs, and hates how they won't let him in. So he makes his own. That's pretty much the driving factor for a lot of his actions.

Then his best friend is going into one, which makes him bitter, jealous, envious, etc. Mark is a petty person.

However, Eduardo is still his friend. There's a key scene I missed until I listened extremely carefully--when Eduardo comes in from the rain and they are arguing, Eduardo is going on about how he's working hard in New York, and Mark goes, quietly and quickly:

"Facebook is here...You gotta move out here...I want, I-I need YOU here, Eduardo. Please don't tell him I said that."

(Him being Sean.)

Mark wants to look cool in front of Sean, with his new exclusive club. And he wants Eduardo to be a part of facebook--instead of those other clubs.

But...Mark, being so socially inept, didn't know how or when to tell him, and Eduardo doesn't even hear Mark's needy plea in the argument and it starts falling apart from there.

So yes, Mark WAS bitter about Eduardo getting into the clubs, but, in a way, Mark felt betrayed that Eduardo would consider those instead of his.

jaxword said:
Another subtle detail is that Mark DOES regret screwing over Eduardo. Note in the two legal cases--Mark is bored and visibly yawning in the cases with the Winklevii, but in the case with Eduardo, he's upright and paying attention.

Also, after Sean humiliates Eduardo at the end, Mark gets angry at him, which likely contributed to Sean going down from idol to asshole. It's the first time we see Mark disagree with Sean. Earlier, Sean could visibly cheat on his girlfriend in front of Mark and Mark didn't care. He could get Mark to dress in pajamas just to flip off Sean's former partners.

But after he was "rough" on Eduardo, a moment later, Sean also starts talking about how he's sleeping with an intern. It's hinted Mark likes the intern too, which is another reason for Mark to get petty revenge. Mark's face goes into a calculating state at this point, leading to Sean's arrest.

Mark put Facebook > Eduardo, and only at that end part did he realize this wasn't the best choice.

Good conclusions, my thinking was similar after having finished the viewing. Definitely missed that Facebook was Mark's own final club until that watch.

Trying to decide if I should watch it again tonight, or wait until tomorrow. :p

Andrex said:
Good conclusions, my thinking was similar after having finished the viewing. Definitely missed that Facebook was Mark's own final club until that watch.

Trying to decide if I should watch it again tonight, or wait until tomorrow. :p
So...could it still have been a lot better? :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dax01 said:
So...could it still have been a lot better? :p

I still think Pirates is a better movie and think that the movie could have been better if it didn't focus on the Winklevoss subplot so much, yes. But I can't stop rewatching it, and every time I do I learn something new. :)

Replicant

jaxword said:

Mark's biggest mistake is that he was too busy acting cool to Sean and never appreciated Eduardo's quiet presence, let alone acknowledge it in Eduardo's face. Towards the end he finally got the penultimate "you don't know what you have until it's gone" and it shows during the courtroom how much he regret losing the only friend he got.

Aselith

DeathNote said:

edited

/end rant

So, if facebook is simply a copy of myspace, why isn't myspace in facebook's position? They had the lead and the mindshare favoring them and yet they were never close to where facebook is at their height. Or one of the myriad other social networking sites?

Intellectual capability is not necessarily about the core idea but about the execution.

Anyone can play chess so big whoop at Gary Kaperov?

Finally ended up watching this after avoiding it for so long. But my friend picked up the blu-ray and forced me to watch it. And I admit defeat, the movie is pretty good.

Though I don't get why the soundtrack is being raved about. Nothing really stood out for me. Was expecting a lot more from Reznor and Ross. But maybe I'm just bitter about Daft Punk not being nominated for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom