• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are a lot of remakes being made - Is this a positive or negative for the industry?

Is the growing tendency towards remakes a positive or negative to you?

• Positive

Votes: 71 33.3%
  • Negative

Votes: 92 43.2%
  • Neutral or no opinion

Votes: 50 23.5%

• Total voters

T4keD0wN

If ive played the original its a negative. I wont waste my time on it.
If ive never played the original its a positive as bad games dont get remakes.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
If we get more titles like the Dead Space remake, REmake2, and REmake4, then I'm largely ok with it. These are amazing games well worth the asking price.

If we get more low effort titles like TLOUP1, or inferiour titles like Demon's Souls remake, then I won't buy them, because they really aren't worth their inflated asking price.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Because when millennials make their own games you get Foresworn and Gotham knights. They have no choice but to rip off the works of people who had more talent than them.
Oh it is a positive for me since I hate millennial games with a passion.
The main people behind Gotham Knights are in their 50's....
I can't think of any...
Can you actually name a millennial game developer?
I can only think of Anthony Burch, and that's only because his sister voices Aloy
I don't believe the publishers that decided they would remake yet another game did it because they really care about the new generation playing re4.
They don't care about a generation of new customers they can recycle a product to......🤔

Gambit2483

I think it's great when a newer generation of gamers can experience the worlds/characters and stories we grew up on but in higher fidelity without them having to buy old consoles and or play with outdated mechanics (if they don't want to).

Also, it's awesome playing RE4 and FF7 with a slightly different take or expansion on previous scenarios. Playing through the Wall Market section in FF7R is a completely different experience from the original game.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
They don't care about a generation of new customers they can recycle a product to......🤔
Yeah, that was shit phrasing on my part but the point was basically what you typed. They value them as fresh people to get money from while putting in minimal effort to develop new games, they don't care for them the way the original post was suggesting

kicker

Banned
I think it's great when a newer generation of gamers can experience the worlds/characters and stories we grew up on but in higher fidelity without them having to buy old consoles and or play with outdated mechanics (if they don't want to).
I agree. I would take as many remakes as i can get, but not at the opportunity cost of newer games, as the grpwing trend of remakes might be suggesting.

Wouldn't you rather you and the newer generation experience games better than the ones you grew up with?

Imagine if we got a dark souls remake instead of an elden ring? Now, obviously that didn't happen, and theoretically both could happen at the same time, but that's what I see as the opportunity cost when I see capcom remaking their 4th resident evil game with plans for a 5th and maybe 6th remake on the way.
One or two remakes = Great, nostalgia satisfied
Every big publisher scraping their collection for remakes = no confidence in new games = fewer new ideas being greenlit

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Absolute HUGE positive!
Who doesn't want the best games made even better?
If its not, don't buy, derp.

Nobody here is funding anything so stop crying about remakes and remasters and stfu about "BuT i WAat NeW gaMeS!"
New games are made all the time, play those.

Last edited:
It's a positive.

It allows studios to churn out games faster while working on wholly new titles or new IP that take 4-6 years to develop.

Remakes can be developed in 2-3 years and allows for a more regular cadence of games. Plus it allows a whole new generation to play these games, or allows older players to experience classics in a whole new light.

It's a win all around as far as I'm concerned.
How old are you? You know there was a time when we had new games coming in place of those remakes right?

2007 had more highly anticipated new IP's released with GOTY level quality than this gen has had all 3 years....

From god of war 2 to half life 2 episode 2 to bioshock to mass effect to halo 3 to mario galaxy and much more. In one year.

So is our hobby getting better or worse?

TGO

Yeah, that was shit phrasing on my part but the point was basically what you typed. They value them as fresh people to get money from while putting in minimal effort to develop new games, they don't care for them the way the original post was suggesting
I was just being nice 👍

Absolute HUGE positive!

Nobody here is funding anything so stop crying about remakes and remasters and stfu about "BuT i WAat NeW gaMeS!"
No they arent...not good ones anyway. were you born in 2000 and dont know any better?

2007 for example:

God of war 2
Half life 2 ep 2
Bioshock
Mass effect
Super mario galaxy
Metroid prime 3
Uncharted
Stalker
Halo3
Modern warfare
Assassins creed
Crysis
Portal
Team fortress 2

Were released in one year. All ambitious titles. 2008 was arguably just as good.

We gettin years like that bro?

Last edited:

Also, it's awesome playing RE4 and FF7 with a slightly different take or expansion on previous scenarios. Playing through the Wall Market section in FF7R is a completely different experience from the original game.
Well ideally we should have games out that smoke the old ones. If the medium is progressing the way it should...

Gamers didnt want to even play gta 2 when GTA 3 was out. Mosy didnt really need to play half life 1 when half life 2 came out.

The progression was strong enough where the remake wasnt necessary.

captainpat

Indifferent. there's a are a small a lot of games that come out every year. I can understand it being concerning if you mostly just care about AAA games tho.

CamHostage

Sequels tend to be "remakes but with a new plot", so if the gameplay improves in the remake process, so eh?

And gamers don't play old games like they watch old movies (which also get remakes; in movie circles, remake trends always stir up grumbles too,) so if some of the classics are going to survive beyond their hardware, they probably need some refurbishing.

That said, I haven't bought any of these games, so they're a negative in interest level for me.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I think its funny how many people hate old games
who?
I'm mostly neutral, but I would rather have less and better remakes. The Advance Wars one, for example, might be the single ugliest looking game I've ever seen. An actual disrespect to the original title.

kicker

Banned
Absolute HUGE positive!
Absolute HUGE negative!
Who doesn't want the developers of the best games ever made to make even better games?
Nobody here is funding anything
How would I, or you, or anyone here fund new games? Are you daying thay since the publishers are the ones funding games, they can choose to make endless remakes over new games if they want? Now how is that a good experience for you?
Or are you saying since that's what we get we should just accept it and not question it at all?
Do you really want to be playing a GOW Ragnarok or elden ring remake in 2033?

so stop crying about remakes and remasters and
There is no crying, only analysis of the state of the industry

stfu about "BuT i WAat NeW gaMeS!"
Yes, we all play new games. We're all looking forward to new games, but we'll get fewer new games if developers keep looking for remakes to get guaranteed sales over taking a risk. People have been complaining about the lack of innovation in the AAA industry, and remakes are the wrong solution.

Again, one or two remakes a year = Great, nostalgia satisfied
Every big publisher scraping their collection for remakes = no confidence in new games = fewer new ideas being greenlit

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's success coasting for lack of writers to come up with a decent narrative. Overall negative.

It's good for people that never played the original version before.

Absolute HUGE negative!
Who doesn't want the developers of the best games ever made to make even better games?

How would I, or you, or anyone here fund new games? Are you daying thay since the publishers are the ones funding games, they can choose to make endless remakes over new games if they want? Now how is that a good experience for you?
Or are you saying since that's what we get we should just accept it and not question it at all?
Do you really want to be playing a GOW Ragnarok or elden ring remake in 2033?

There is no crying, only analysis of the state of the industry

Yes, we all play new games. We're all looking forward to new games, but we'll get fewer new games if developers keep looking for remakes to get guaranteed sales over taking a risk. People have been complaining about the lack of innovation in the AAA industry, and remakes are the wrong solution.

Again, one or two remakes a year = Great, nostalgia satisfied
A smart person^

People who are just saying "I like remakes so a positive" are lacking in nuanced thought or foresight...those gakers are partly why the medoum is becoming like this, they even notice the standards dropping...

kicker

Banned
Indifferent. there's a are a small a lot of games that come out every year. I can understand it being concerning if you mostly just care about AAA games tho.
You don't see the fact that you have to look towards indie games concerning? Remember when you looked forward to both the aaa game that had been marketed for years as well as the indie game that's been in early access for a while? And both made you excited to explore new gameplay?
My steam wishlist is filled with exciting games but I can also be frustrated that the aaa scene seems to be slowly reducing new ip development and slowly increasing remake frequency

TGO

No they arent...not good ones anyway. were you born in 2000 and dont know any better?

2007 for example:

God of war 2
Half life 2 ep 2
Bioshock
Mass effect
Super mario galaxy
Metroid prime 3
Uncharted
Stalker
Halo3
Modern warfare
Assassins creed
Crysis
Portal
Team fortress 2

Were released in one year. All ambitious titles. 2008 was arguably just as good.

Half Life 2 got kinda a Remaster with that Orange Box set.
And Tomb Raider Anniversary which was a Remake ironically as you picked 2007 Also released that year too.
And 2001 called an says what's up.

Halo: Combat Evolved
Dead or Alive 3
Final Fantasy X
Ico
Silent Hill 2
SSX
Grand Theft Auto III
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Onimusha: Warlords
Devil May Cry
Soul Reaver 2
Max Payne
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
Just to name a few..

How old are you?, 2007 wasn't that good
2008 was a better year.

Naked Lunch

Not a fan at all.
Where is the creative explosion of the Dreamcast, PS2, 360 eras?
Its the same shit over and over - but now remade. Like seriously where are the games these days? Just look at gaming mags from 98 and such. The variety, quality, and quantity was unreal.

For remakes, the most absurd was the TLOU 1 remake just a few short years after the original.
Its gone way off the rails.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
How old are you? You know there was a time when we had new games coming in place of those remakes right?

2007 had more highly anticipated new IP's released with GOTY level quality than this gen has had all 3 years....

From god of war 2 to half life 2 episode 2 to bioshock to mass effect to halo 3 to mario galaxy and much more. In one year.

So is our hobby getting better or worse?

I've been gaming over 30 years.

Long enough to know that games in 2023 are exponentially more complex than games from 2007. Whether it be texture fidelity, physics, character animations, facial animations, atmospheric effects, lighting, motion capture, general attention to detail, voice capture, scale, etc.. etc.. etc..

AAA games from 2007 could be reliably developed over the course of 2-3 years. You can double that in 2023. And it will require twice the amount of staff as well.

If we want to continue to have the luxury of having 1.) AAA games that meet our modern expectations and 2.) A steady cadence of games at a tick that we've come to expect from years and decades past, we need to be okay with playing remakes, AA titles, and indie games. Because those AAA titles are only going to be fewer and further between as games continue to grow more and more in complexity.

Last edited:

captainpat

You don't see the fact that you have to look towards indie games concerning? Remember when you looked forward to both the aaa game that had been marketed for years as well as the indie game that's been in early access for a while? And both made you excited to explore new gameplay?
My steam wishlist is filled with exciting games but I can also be frustrated that the aaa scene seems to be slowly reducing new ip development and slowly increasing remake frequency
To be honest, not really, It's almost always been sequels or games from established franchises with a smattering of original ips. If these studios weren't making remakes we'd just be more sequels and spinoffs.

TGO

For remakes, the most absurd was the TLOU 1 remake just a few short years after the original.
Its gone way off the rails.
I agree but.... A few short years?
It was almost a decade by one month and the problem with it was the game had already had a Remaster which got a 4kHDR patch on PS4 Pro
And on top of that regardless how nice it may look its running on TLOUPT2 engine which make it look not that much different from TLOUPT2 on PS4 and they was flogging it off as a built from the ground up on PS5 game.
if the game had never got a Remaster or a Pro patch for that matter it would be a different story.
That the problem with TLOUPT1.

kicker

Banned
God of war 2
Half life 2 ep 2
Bioshock
Mass effect
Super mario galaxy
Metroid prime 3
Uncharted
Stalker
Halo3
Modern warfare
Assassins creed
Crysis
Portal
Team fortress 2
Halo: Combat Evolved
Dead or Alive 3
Final Fantasy X
Ico
Silent Hill 2
SSX
Grand Theft Auto III
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Onimusha: Warlords
Devil May Cry
Soul Reaver 2
Max Payne
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
The thing is, I can understand people who say they don't see an issue. 2023 seems to be an exception to the rule, particularly because it has a lot of the most anticipated AAA games of the past few years releasing:

Starfield
Spiderman 2
Baldurs Gate 3
Legend of Zelda: Tears of the kingdom
Diablo 4
Street Fighter 6
Tekken 8
Final Fantasy 16
Hollow Knight Silksong
Hades 2 early access
Hi-Fi Rush
Homeworld 3
Stalker 2
Alan Wake 2, maybe
Armored Core 6?
Assassins Creed Mirage, maybe
WH40k Space Marine 2, maybe
Hogwarts Legacy

(Damn, a lot of sequels coming out this year) If they all turn out great, 2023 will probably be one to remember, but I'm more annoyed with the growing trend of remakes

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Positive for the most part. They are making older games available to people that hadn’t played them before which is good. The dell good too so that is proof they are wanted.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Negative because not one of them has been a BIOSHOCK remake in UE5.

But no seriously, all this time, money, resources and man power used on these remakes could of... should of been used on new AAA IP.

Lack of ambition, just like Hollywood remaking everything. Or wanting to adapt some source material into a movie.

Its harder to make new things, and its playing out right in front of us across multiple industries.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to say they're negative, even though I know it seems to mute creativity. But why?

Well my biggest reason is Dead Space Remake. I matured as a gamer over the years. I used to just play games for the fun, but now I play for challenge of gameplay and story. I started playing Dead Space back in the day, but I couldn't stick with it because it was too hard. But, now I love challenging games.

The original Dead space looks great still, but the remake gave me a chance to play it with even more fantastic atmosphere and visual fidelity. Remakes are simply getting better and it's just a different advancement in experience compared to a movie remake.

Now, that is IF they stay very true to the original. Max Payne is my favorite game and it's getting a remake. It's a tough line to walk because if you've already played a game then a new remake could lave a bad taste in your mouth. But, then I think of RE4R and I played that game before but love the remake.

Remakes are simply getting better. If they keep with that trend then I don't hate it.

kicker

Banned
To be honest, not really, It's almost always been sequels or games from established franchises with a smattering of original ips. If these studios weren't making remakes we'd just be more sequels and spinoffs.
Yeah, the 'best-selling franchises must keep releasing games and never end' issue is a discussion for another thread, but I would much rather have sequels that improve on a lore or story core by exploring new ideas than a remake that copies gameplay and presentation, but adds layers of shiny graphics on top.
Sure, I'd rather have a new ip that experienced devs can use to show off their skill without being forced to make a sequel to a decades-old ip, but I'd also much rather have a DMC 6 than a DMC 3 remake, if you get the point I'm trying to make.

I think remakes like FFVII are a little different, since so much was changed we could argue it was really a sequel

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
New is not always better. They’d spend millions making new tech for some big trial and error when they know a game remade sells. I’d rather play something good than watch a brand new IP bring the entire franchise down.

I would also get sick of hearing about classic games that didn’t age well. Why is it a classic? Games can suck that have better controls than a classic game. It doesn’t make it a classic. You could spend a fortune hunting down classic games or you could play the updated remake. It’s great to have as an option. We get brand new IP’s and then we complain about the developer losing focus. They stop focusing on what got fans onboard in the first place.

I’m more particular with my remakes. I’d take a remake of MGS over a new or remake of Splinter Cell. For some games, moving forward hasn’t done them any good. The older game is always considered better or the writing sucks in the new game. We constantly reference the classic or better days. My guess is a lot of people aren’t getting the Classic game to complain about graphics. I think it’s great we have these big upscaled remakes.

I’d much rather see a classic RPG get remade than have to spend countless hours playing a game that is just a glorified copy cat of what the genre was years ago.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's a positive for my entertainment.

It's a bit of a negative for creativity.

Overall, it didn't kill movies or music yet so I guess we don't have to worry about games either.

It’s the sad truth, but also understandable when so much money is on the line.

If you look at this year alone, a great output of AAA games, but I count only 2 original titles? (Hogwarts and Starfield)
Rest of ‘em are sequels and remakes.

I’m especially disappointed in Sony who have announced 0 new IP’s so far, while last gen they had:
- Bloodborne
- The Order
- Driveclub
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Days Gone
- VR titles like: Astro Bot, Blood and Truth

For me the perfect example of remake was Shadow of the Colossus.

Games that was great, but struggle on framerate, those should have remakes. Like Heavenly Sword or Drakengard 3...

For me it's useless, negative.
Remakes nowdays are for easy money, and they end like this;

bpxMh1J.jpg

Reboot are more tolerable imo, like dmc. Im a huge Dmc series fan, but that reboot was great!

I like the Capcom more, but i would love to see dmc2.

Last edited:
I think it win win. For me, i grew up when all these games originally came out so seeing them re-imagined is a neat experience that brings back a ton of nostalgia. For folks that never got to experience these great games originally and have been put off by the older graphics not aging well now have an avenue to access these classic narratives.

One point that i want to highlight that always gets overlooked. A remake does not replace the original, if you dislike the direction of the remake you can still access the original and just pretend the remake doesn't exist.

Lastly, remakes logically should take less time the building a game from the ground up because alot of the pre production stuff is done already. This translates to more games in less time which we can all agree is a plus.

My .02

TGO

The thing is, I can understand people who say they don't see an issue. 2023 seems to be an exception to the rule, particularly because it has a lot of the most anticipated AAA games of the past few years releasing:

Starfield
Spiderman 2
Baldurs Gate 3
Legend of Zelda: Tears of the kingdom
Diablo 4
Street Fighter 6
Tekken 8
Final Fantasy 16
Hollow Knight Silksong
Hades 2 early access
Hi-Fi Rush
Homeworld 3
Stalker 2
Alan Wake 2, maybe
Armored Core 6?
Assassins Creed Mirage, maybe
WH40k Space Marine 2, maybe
Hogwarts Legacy

(Damn, a lot of sequels coming out this year) If they all turn out great, 2023 will probably be one to remember, but I'm more annoyed with the growing trend of remakes
See the thing is if I was to list my top games of the last ten years the Remakes would be HIGH on the list, simple because the originals was so damn good and in some case(not all)
they improve on the original.
But even when they don't they still outshine new IP releases by the sheer quality of the fantastic foundations they've inherited from the original.
Does it take away from new developments?
No I don't think it does, Capcom is pushing out New Games and Remakes better then anyone.
Everybody wants to know what the next Remake is gonna be, RE5 or Code Veronica.
And when they talk about a new sequel they want it like the Remakes because They are better games ( with a few wanting to stick to the FPS style )
but my point is going back has actually helped them push forward.
And hopefully Dead Space & Silent Hill follows.
And maybe Splinter Cell.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
New is not always better. They’d spend millions making new tech for some big trial and error when they know a game remade sells. I’d rather play something good than watch a brand new IP bring the entire franchise down.
Of course new isn't always better. But constantly remaking old is worse, no? Look at the first list in my op, everything on that list was released in the past 3 or 4 years and most of them are among the highest rated games of their respective years (GTA Trilogy for shame). The Metroid, RE4 and Dead space remakes are already (and will probably stay among) the highest rated games of this year. Think back to your favourite years of gaming - how many remakes were you playing?
I would also get sick of hearing about classic games that didn’t age well. Why is it a classic? Games can suck that have better controls than a classic game. It doesn’t make it a classic. You could spend a fortune hunting down classic games or you could play the updated remake. It’s great to have as an option. We get brand new IP’s and then we complain about the developer losing focus. They stop focusing on what got fans onboard in the first place.
They only seem to remake the games that guarantee sales, i.e. the classics. My point is that if this trend continues there's a good chance the best games of 2025 might just be remakes for The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Journey, MGS V, and Bloodborne remakes (following the 10 year minimum that TLOU remake seems to suggest)
I’m more particular with my remakes. I’d take a remake of MGS over a new or remake of Splinter Cell. For some games, moving forward hasn’t done them any good. The older game is always considered better or the writing sucks in the new game. We constantly reference the classic or better days. My guess is a lot of people aren’t getting the Classic game to complain about graphics. I think it’s great we have these big upscaled remakes.
A new MGS would have very little excitement because everyone who cares about MGS knows that Konami doesn't. That's not the case for most franchises. Moving forward is the only way for the industry to survive, swimming in nostalgia will not lead to better games. The classics are always there, we should be looking to surpass them.

Knightime_X

2007 for example:

God of war 2
Half life 2 ep 2
Bioshock
Mass effect
Super mario galaxy
Metroid prime 3
Uncharted
Stalker
Halo3
Modern warfare
Assassins creed
Crysis
Portal
Team fortress 2

No because sub HD games are the thing of the past and newer games require more development time.
But lets ignore new games and those coming like Elden Ring, Street Fighter 6, Modern Warfare II, Spiderman, Super Mario Oddysee, Tears of the Kingdom, Metroid Prime 4, Starfield, Resident Evil Village, Diablo 4, Uncharted 4, Metro Exodus, Tekken 8, etc.

Games like Resident evil 4 remake is more fun to play than 1/2 of those games combined. And that's not even a "NEW" game to the likes of you.
Doesn't need to all happen in a single year.
I'm a 70's kiddo

Last edited:

phant0m

Depends. Some games aren’t old/dated enough for a remake. TLOU1 did not need a remake. As good as it is, Dead Space really didn’t need a remake. It already had modern controls and “good enough” graphics, esp on PC.

D2R was a good remake. WC3R was a bad remake. Demon’s Souls was a good remake, and needed to save the game from being trapped on PS3. FFVIIR is a damn good piece of video game software, “remake” or otherwise. RE2R really did a nice job of modernizing that game.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Of course new isn't always better. But constantly remaking old is worse, no? Look at the first list in my op, everything on that list was released in the past 3 or 4 years and most of them are among the highest rated games of their respective years (GTA Trilogy for shame). The Metroid, RE4 and Dead space remakes are already (and will probably stay among) the highest rated games of this year. Think back to your favourite years of gaming - how many remakes were you playing?

They only seem to remake the games that guarantee sales, i.e. the classics. My point is that if this trend continues there's a good chance the best games of 2025 might just be remakes for The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Journey, MGS V, and Bloodborne remakes (following the 10 year minimum that TLOU remake seems to suggest)

A new MGS would have very little excitement because everyone who cares about MGS knows that Konami doesn't. That's not the case for most franchises. Moving forward is the only way for the industry to survive, swimming in nostalgia will not lead to better games. The classics are always there, we should be looking to surpass them.
A lot of years I reflect upon are times when Mortal Kombat 1-3 were in the arcade, Street Fighter II, and Killer Instinct were the games to play at the arcade and at home. They didn’t really have remakes, but they were the definition of why I liked the fighting game genre. I could put a bookmark on those particular games and why remaking their core was better for the franchise. MK had to go back to their more grounded, before MK4 style because 4 and Deception-Armageddon made big changes, but it wasn’t enough. SFIV went back to its roots and look how big that turned out? Those were tweaks and may not be a good example to start with, but it’s part of my reply.

Metroid Prime, RE4, and GTA’s Trilogy came out when I was in high school. Those games were part of their launch console’s legacy. Not only that, there’s supreme craftsmanship in those games. Granted, if you haven’t grabbed a port of the GTA Trilogy by now then idk where you’ve been. Let’s look at the Nintendo DS. Ports of DragonQuest 4-7 were remakes, Final Fantasy III and IV were remakes in 3D. Great games with superior versions. We did end up getting the Pixel Remastered versions of classic FF games. The NDS remakes were successful in getting new and old fans back on board. Going back to the PS2. We had many different HD collections on PS3. Shadow of the Colossus/Ico. The remake puts the older version to shame and there’s really no equal. The Last Guardian was half of what SotC could deliver in terms of enjoyment. It was a new IP. The Remake of Resident Evil is probably one of the best remakes to date. It still has all of its scary moments and strategic ways of making your way through a mysterious mansion.

Your point is that we’ve had more and more remakes of newer-ish games. Gears of War, Halo, and The Witcher. Halo before Bungie stopped making the games was a crazy time to be playing games. FPS became huge or at least well known because of Halo. The story was never rebooted. It was asking to be remade just by being such a well known game. Gears of War was excellent and the newest entries (4 and 5) had to go off of the story they’ve already told. The original Gears of War and its sequel were what got fans to get tattoos on their chest. I think when we look at TLoU we think of that was fine as is, but the new additions in these remakes makes it worth revisiting. There’s no reason to just forget about a game you got that tattoo of because a new console gen made it look outdated.

The very first Witcher game was rough around the edges. The combat was more like Neverwinter Nights. The graphics were decent at the time. The Enhanced version made things look better, but it wasn’t like Witcher 3. I think a lot of people want to relive the stories and sometimes you forget that stuff.

I think there’s a reasoning behind the Remake versus the Remaster. EA asks fans about Dead Space 2. Dead Space and RE4 made such an impact on their genres. A good example is Batman. When was there a timeline like the Arkham games? Maybe Spider-Man on PS2 with its open world-ish gameplay. It still wasn’t Arkham. Arkham was like having the Animated Series back on TV. Its style, its movements, and it was satisfying. It went to hell after the fact. I feel like Spider-Man is keeping the super hero genre alive after Gotham Knights sucked and killed off Batman. Why not remake those games?

I think we are seeing a remake revival from each studio because they have staple entries for those franchises. The fans love it, so they demand more. I really didn’t like Silent Hill Downpour and Homecoming was okay. I played those games and instantly wanted to replay the classic games. Konami seems to have a big basket of Silent Hill games and the cherry on top could be the SH2 remake or the actual F main game. Either way, I still remember the plot of SH because new stuff never catches my interest or my internal thought process like those few games did. Kojima’s legacy rests at Konami. MGS remake is about the only thing they could do to allow their fans to relive why MGS is so great to begin with.

I think it’s a good thing we have remakes. Sure, new stuff is great. I loved RE7 and Village. I like new stories and plots. I also don’t have better experiences than Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, and many more. There isn’t an equal even with all these RTX/4K enabled graphics. The same people who worked on those classic games go on to make FFXVI for example, but that’s crossing genres at this point. So yeah, a remake does sound good when you make such a massive change.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
It was Covid and the whole work from home thing. Studios couldn't focus on new games because their workflow was disrupted. So they worked on easier goals like revisiting their classic games. And it worked.

tommycronin

Banned
Lots of positives and negatives I think. It shows how morally bankrupt the industry is for creativity. It also shows current day developers that the classics are classic for a reason. Resi 4 is a touch of new paint done very well but shows why games like that are loved even until today.

It might help devs get back to the real DNA of gaming and not some 6v6 extraction hero shooter nonsense we see so many times today.

Teletraan1

Banned
I would rather these studios spent their time making smaller new games rather than these stupid remakes. I was fine with remasters since you could have small specialized studios just jazzing the old game up to run on modern hardware and clean them up a bit like Durante's team does for older games. This remake trend that occupy a studios time for 3 years plus is nothing I ever asked for. I just wanted FFVII with updated graphics and a decent framerate. Instead I got a genre change and a bunch of padding while they split the game up into chunks because they decided to expand upon an already long game. With Steam I still own the original so I have been able to mod it to be exactly what I wanted and something I would rather play than the remake.

Negative because it speaks of a lack of creativity in the industry and its weird because are these new consoles not supposed to be opening up new ways of creating games since they're able to stream data super fast.

Top Bottom